Top 10 Kyoto Animation Anime

kyoani-crossover-1

Kyoto Animation’s ascendancy over moeblob anime is beyond question, but the crucial question of which blobs are the most popular can only be answered by the inevitable ranking, one which seems to suggest the KyoAni holy trinity of K-ON!, Haruhi and Lucky Star is actually better described as K-ON!, Clannad and Haruhi.

The ranking:

1. K-ON!

2. Clannad After Story

3. K-ON!!

4. Clannad

5. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

6. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

7. Lucky Star

8. Nichijou

9. AIR

10. Full Metal Panic Fumoffu

Merging the results for different series sees Haruhi projected to 3rd (although if votes for Haruhi-chan and Churuya-san are included Haruhi places a sound first) and Full Metal Panic to 4th.

However, no amount of vote merging will change the fact that Munto is dead last with votes in the single digits…

kyoani-crossover-2

08:48 14/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

I will never understand why Kanon isn't at least more popular than Air. Honestly I thought it was the best KyoAni anime with Full Metal Panic The Second Raid a close second.

08:53 14/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Right on. Kanon is legendary. Air was good, but it left you feeling depressed at the end. Kanon has a much more coherent and heartwarming ending, too.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    10:22 14/05/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

In terms of story, Kanon wins hands down.
    But with voters looking at fanservice/moe/cute more than storyline or show depth, you get some weird rankings.

14:53 14/05/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Uguu~

Comment by TC-man
    20:31 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

In terms of drama, Kanon is absolutely a winner, especially with Yui Horie as Ayu.

15:48 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Clannad ftw!

05:53 16/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, Kanon needs more love.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    10:09 14/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

was wondering why Kanon wasn't there too

15:10 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's 11th on the list. So, it's not like it's totally forgotten and this is just another biglobe list. They are rarely ever good -.-

Comment by Zair
    12:41 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Dude I remember when I sat through Kanon06... I cried allot... I'm like the only one who would place it above Clannad in terms of sadness

15:58 14/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Yeah, crying at how overrated it is.

Really, it's not a bad show, but it utterly fails at being sad. Kanon had several sad bits on each arc, Clannad... doesn't. And even less so on After Story, which is always ranked better than teh first season despite being worse (Unless you're the kind who think main girl are always the best and thus love the boreness that is Nagisa).

Sigh. If only Kanon had been the one to air right after Lucky Star.

Comment by Yamato
    16:30 14/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I too find Clannad a tad overrated, and I also second the dullness that is Nagisa (though I wouldn't apply it to all main girls... Misuzu was great). The ending of After Story was just trash; Key's just trying to milk the "sick girl" trope AGAIN (and with a 5-year old who was nothing but lively just a few minutes ago), and as if to add salt in the wound, they press a hugeass reset button.

Though personally, I enjoyed AIR more than Kanon. Sure, Kanon may be longer and feature more girls' plotlines (also, Mai's fucking awesome), but... AIR's ending kinda hits you. Hard. Hard even by Key's usual standards. And the conclusion's far more bittersweet than the one in Kanon (and especially Clannad), nor does it seem to involve a cop-out in any way at all (no offense, but this goes for Kanon as well as Clannad... not as bad, mind you, but, that "miracle" and all).

01:58 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Personally, IIRC, Air got me 3 times, Kanon 4, and with Clannad, I lost count. Every one of them has one or two lines that still make me tear up to this day. Averaged over the whole series - given the differing lengths - Air probably gave Kleenex the most business. OTOH, the last third of After Story still blows Air out of the water.

I'd put Clannad 1 and Kanon 1A, myself. The main advantage of Clannad, IMO, was how it wove the characters stories together. Air and Kanon had more discrete arcs, with the characters coming and going, having little role once their arc ended (as in the VNs). Clannad had arcs, but most of the characters remained even after their arc was complete. That was actually used to reinforce the theme of the series. Kanon tied things together at the end fairly well, but didn't have quite the same feel along the way.

Air was very good, but seemed rushed at times. That's a function of only being 12 episodes long (not counting the recap episode or the 2 Air In Summer special episodes), mostly. Conversely, Clannad ran for two seasons, but really never seemed like it was in filler territory (Misae and Yukine's arcs flirted with it, but never quite got there, IMO).

23:50 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Kanon, Air, Clannad, even Angel Beats. Key's drama are pretty tear cracking. Altough if you think well, most of the anime drama uses classic J-drama formulas. But the way they uses the clichés... most of them know how to use it and express some cool feelings. That's pretty cool.

04:15 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I gotta agree that Kanon and Clannad felt like they had cop-out endings though I enjoyed both.

Comment by Shima-kun989
    12:59 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

idk, you could look at it like this,
    With Air, you only cry once, maybe twice.
    with Kanon, you cry 2-3 times
    with Clannad, might as well take out a 2nd mortgage on tissues, cuz the crying prolly wont stop anytime soon

Comment by Rethardus
    01:32 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Anon 8:53

I don't like Air better but "Kanon has a much more coherent and heartwarming ending".

So heartwarming defines how good something is? Irrelevant.

13:32 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The happy ending is the problem.

09:07 14/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

I was wondering the same thing. I never see Kanon mentioned, but it had a much more larger inpact on my than for example Air and Clannad

17:05 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I didn't cry even once watching Kanon, but I cried a little watching Air and I cried all the time watching Clannad.

09:32 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I couldn;t stand watching Kanon .___. it was dull IMO, but clannad and air....i loved them c:
    however to me Haruhi will always be the best cuz of Yuki =X

09:28 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't really say cause I didn't watch air

Comment by Actar
    12:17 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

As bizzare as this sounds, a lot of people hate Kanon for the fact that on first glance, the characters look 'moe'. I myself adore the series and it's my favorite amongst the three Key visual novel Anime.

20:37 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree, Kanon 06 is easily in my top 10.

11:58 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

at some companies you can see, why they are still existing.

Comment by yuriphoria
    12:14 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Let me disagree. Air told a story that needed to be told, Kanon just sort of repeated some old clichés in generally predictable ways.

05:59 16/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

In fact, Kanon probably invented those cliches. Remember, the visual novel was released before Air and Clannad.

Kanon is difficult to watch because most sites have shitty linkers with shitty feeds.

Sometimes the only way to watch it is a few episodes at a time. Because of you know who's time limits.

Unless you have a friend who will lend you their dvds.

11:03 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Wow dude.. You have enlightened me.

23:57 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

REALLY?

Kanon is $18 for the entire series on DVD.

again...

REALLY?

00:25 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

sameanon:
    while it's understandable that not everyone in the world lives in the U.S., I have made this assumption from "Unless you have a friend who will lend you their dvds."

10:27 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I love MUNTO

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:34 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I hated how Munto ended with the movie fiasco, but yeah, the artistry and the mystique of Munto was amazing. I just wish it had a more fully realized story.

Comment by AnarchystBR
    08:34 14/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Nichijou will probably surpass Haruhi, Clannad and Lucky Star till the end of its airing time.

09:48 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

doubt it. Nichijou sucks imo. The most forgettable characters, unfunny jokes and stuff everyone has seen before but worse quality, like a carbon copy.
    KyoAni got lazy with this one and it shows.
    Hyadain is superior however.

11:04 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah there fucking lazy. I mean just look at the OVER THE TOP BUDGET.

Comment by Shima-kun989
    04:02 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i mean for a 26 show season, there have to be some things that people like, just try looking from a different point of view :3

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:33 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually may agree.

The amount of love and attention to detail and animation madness they put into Nichijou is downright near Gainax level.

I LOVED Lucky Star, but what bummed me out was they never really used the animation too much. Also, they did the annoying 'every secondary female being voiced by an annoying man' thing in that show. ugh.

Comment by GodMan
    13:08 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You LIE!!!
    but yeah Nichijou is pretty good however it lacks the AWESOMENESS that is Haruhi

Comment by Shima-kun989
    04:00 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

must i remind you of those 8 horrible weeks which shall (hopefully) never happen again?

Comment by GodMan
    04:32 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I like to see the Endless 8 a way to filter out the casual anime fan from the HARDCORE! Haruhi fans ;)

Comment by Actar
    12:18 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I really doubt so. Nichijou is good, but not nearly as significant or popular than the three you mentioned.

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    14:03 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The girls are not cute enough

Comment by tsurai
    09:36 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Hoping they ask about a studio that has made more series next time. Remove the OVAs, second seasons, movies and DVD extras and this list would have very nearly every series they've made.

Comment by Konata Saika
    08:38 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Lucky Star rank 7th... *disappoint*

Comment by Knuckels_E
    17:16 17/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Lucky Star should be number one Konata is awesome!

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    10:12 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

there are people who dislike this kind of animes sadly(etc.Gintama)

Comment by Actar
    12:19 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I is disappoint too.

Comment by Soniko
    23:31 14/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Nichijou deserves a higher rank. It's a masterpiece. Also, Keiichi Arawi's a genius.

02:10 15/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Air higher than either of the KyoAni FMP series, and Second Raid not even on the list? Japan, I am disappoint.