Why The Chinese Hate Japanese Anime

serizawa-fumino-pantsu-stamp.jpg

Chinese quizzed about why they hate Japanese anime supply reasons ranging from a dislike of sex and violence to the vapidity of their stories, and of course a hatred of Japan.

The reasons given, based on the same survey of the anime viewing preferences of 3,000 Chinese that was previously featured:

1. Crude gags – 26%

2. Violence – 20.2%

3. Their stories are devoid of content – 17.5%

4. Because of the sexual depictions – 14.8%

5. “Other” – 11.3%

6. Moral objections – 8.2%

7. Hatred of Japan – 5.5%

37.3% reported not having any particular dislike for Japanese anime.

For just which anime the Chinese detested, refer to the previously featured top 10.

Comment by diskonline
    14:57 03/05/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'm Chinese and I love Japanese anime. As far as I know, most of my friends love Japanese anime too, they watch many of that at college period.
    This survey is totally a trap. When you told me I have to name something I hate about Japanese anime, I do have some stuff, nothing is perfect isn't it; however, that doesn't mean I hate Japanese anime, if you ask me do I hate Japanese anime or not, I would tell you clearly, no.

17:07 03/05/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Me too , I'm of Chinese ethnicity and I hate how we are being hated because of our race. There are also a handful of other foreigners in their country that hates anime too.

02:24 04/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Misleading title is misleading. Sankaku always does an awesome job at describing the news. Actual news = man fell in the subway station, title = Subway stations are a death trap, millions dead.

Comment by Andices
    01:04 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm Chinese too! & I love anime since i was like 8 and that was like more than 10 years ago~! and i still like anime now!

23:49 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Why so many review like that? Who cares in first place?!

Comment by janus000
    01:51 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Chinese chinese chinese...

I wonder if caring so much about them isn't a compliment actually.

Comment by spoon
    16:00 03/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

"These results should not be construed as Chinese hating anime as a whole – 77.5% “really” or “comparatively” liked Japanese anime, suggesting most only disliked specific anime for the reasons given, rather than all anime.

Read this. Were you as shocked as I was? I was going to generalise and insult the Chinese but now I duno what to do.

Comment by Erin Bushay
    20:43 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm amazed, someone who actually read the article. There seems to be two parties here, one saying this doesn't represent the Chinese well and one saying the Chinese are [insert profanity]. No one seems to realize just how small the percentages are in this survey and that it probably represents any nation well.

The best part from that quote is, "Indeed, it is not unlikely that similar objections would be found the world over, even down to the dislike for Japan." I can guarantee that there are people the world over who don't like anime just because of Japan. Even here in Canada, a supposedly tolerant country, I have actually heard someone with this very opinion.

20:21 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I'm a Chinese too and I love Japanese anime a lot! Why in the world would you hate something so awesome?

02:13 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I got asked if I hated Japanese at my orientation at work after I got asked what my background was and I replied Chinese.

I think for the most part the hate is aimed towards those from the mainland than towards Chinese-Americans. I mean most of us grew up on DBZ and what not.

Sankaku should focus on Anime, Hentai and Games. Fuck this Aya/Chinese/Top10Surveys.

23:59 06/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck this Aya/Chinese/Top10Surveys.

Goodjob lol

Comment by Ota-Kool
    22:45 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Wonder if you Chinese have watch an anime that fights slavery and tyranny but for all I know is the classic mecha anime Voltes V which is also ban here in the Philippines in the Marcos the Dictator president era it contain Revolt against the Alien Invasion. Maybe its not your taste in anime story.

23:05 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Sanakaku Complex hates the Chinese. The website's coverage on anything Chinese was always negative.

Seriously who cares about Chinese affairs on a anime site? NO ONE!
    SANAKAKU COMPLEX SHOULD STICK TO ANIME AND HENTAI RELATED TOPICS!

04:35 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

more like there's allot of racists on this site and the OP just panders to them every now and then

Well, the fact is “SANKAKU COMPLEX” is overloaded by racist.
    And yes, who care about these racist Nazi?

Comment by yaku
    23:41 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't worry, these 3000 Chinese don't reflect you (the other millions). I bet they're all government workers who just choose whatever their superiors want in these survey.

06:00 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The graph only represents the 23 percent of China that hates anime. So get your head out of your asses and stop thinking that all of China hates anime.

15:07 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

that's a good news..

all the other Chinese should make you and your friend as role model

17:13 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe you should make him your role model too! I bet you can learn proper grammar from him.

Comment by PikachuEXE
    20:22 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Crude gags - Don't tell me they don't

2. Violence – Oh they love this

3. Their stories are devoid of content – content means culture

4. Because of the sexual depictions – I have just seen the news that a girl being raped on street in daylight with movie...in China of coz

6. Moral objections – Ha?

7. Hatred of Japan – Like Hatred of China - meaningless

21:12 03/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

no, devoid of content means that the plots are paper thin. and that's a very accurate flaw 95% of anime suffers from.

01:35 04/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

plot is irrelevant, as long as there's enough fanservice.

03:26 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Fanservice is irrelevant, as long as there's a good enough plot.
    Work that way too.

14:09 24/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

people! people! act like you graduated from the 2nd grade ok?

Comment by ZeroShadow
    01:25 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

but the violence those chinese from china meant is gore i guess.

because they do like violence, just check the manhua from china magazine

04:32 05/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

im pretty sure a majority of china = the chinese that still remember that whole manchuria and enslavement issue from japan

besides whenever Japan tries to take over the world (except this new, chibi-wave) they always start with China, so the hatred it understandable.... Japanese occupations make kristelnacht look like a high school play

Comment by TC-man
    16:56 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know, but these 3000 people must live in a cave, I am pretty much sure the new generation Chinese love Japanese culture including manga and anime.

Also the poll could have been more specific, for example sexual depiction, they could have split it into "yaoi/shounen-ai", "yuri/shoujo-ai", "normal" etc.. Personally, I don't mind shoujo-ai, but for me yaoi is absolutely a no-go.

Comment by diskonline
    21:11 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Learn the history, they buried them alive for reason, it's not an accident.

Comment by LDC

Remember the Rape of Nanking and unit 731.

23:37 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

@LDC

I don't recall unit 731 making any anime :/

Comment by diskonline
    21:08 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well, they're nothing to do with Japanese anime and Japanese culture, are they?
    Those inhuman invaders should still be dug out from their graves and burned, the history can not be forgotten. But we, the descendants of victims and invaders, should not carry the hatred.

21:01 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And the battle of Agincourt.

21:37 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

im a chinese and i love loli anime

00:41 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

sorry, im chinese and im straight

14:05 03/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

4 is one reason to watch anime!

14:25 03/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Yea, where else can you find that in a form of delicious 2D?

16:43 03/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Violece? Sexual depicitions? sure, Hong Kong cinema never had any of it, in the 1800s probably.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    17:43 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you changed your name?

16:51 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I repeat: in a form of delicious 2D.

lol.

HK =/= China.

Comment by Shima-kun989
    08:48 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

don't forget china is still a 2nd world country, they'll need to level up first to gain that skill!!

Comment by Shippoyasha
    15:52 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

1 through 7 could all be a great reason to watch anime! Even the good old fashioned Japanese self hate!

Also, those people must seriously be lacking in humor or just take themselves too seriously. Silly jokes? Fun with erotic characters and crazy violence? Awesome.

And to boot, if they are watching the dumbest of the anime lot to judge entire anime as a whole, they're doing it wrong. Maybe they should try something more brainy like Aria, Princess Tutu, Tatami Galaxy, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Mushishi, etc.

Comment by derrty
    19:02 03/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I am chinese and I love anime.

Besides, does those reasons ever make sense?
    "Because of the sexual depictions"
    Anyone with a normal mind between the age of 15-25 would give that as a reason!? Or did they only questioned people over 60 or 70?

Comment by Shippoyasha
    20:39 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah. People who are hell bent on hating anime seems to speak in one language. Other than the 'hating Japan' subtext, I hear the same from my relatives and with Americans/Europeans as well. Mostly just a ton of bias speaking and not the truth.

Comment by Lamberto

That's because you're lonely.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    14:05 03/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Pfff. China.
    Who cares

Comment by alidan
    16:34 03/05/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

1.howmany billion people live there

if you could get enven .01% to buy an anime, of the people who dont hate it you would probably come out with a bigger proffit than all of the domestic sales combined.

though that would mean selling it at (gasp) reasonable, non butt fuck prices.

Comment by stomach_hands
    09:48 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

so, it is not anime by itself, but certain anime.

11:12 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

S.SS..SS...Stupid Japanese, it's not like I steal your anime because I hate you or anything

16:58 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No. The US alone has about 1/4~1/5 the population of China, and its constituents are much weathier (about 7 times as wealthy if you go by GDP per capita), more developed (rice paddy farmers in China aren't going to buy anime) and less likely to pirate it. You're much better off selling it overpriced in the US.
    Not saying China isn't a viable market, it's just not as great as you think.

Comment by alidan
    18:59 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

that said may be true but he also has a point that many would be more likely to pirate,

but lets say that they just pirate it themselves and sell it there.

i mean give them a boot leg quality version, roughtly the quality of an sd fansub, and sell it for maybe 5-10$ a disc or whatever normal bootlegs go for.

advdr costs 18 cents, and thats not even the cheapest you can get them, and at sd quality encoded right, you can get 12 episodes easily on a disc, and 24 too, some 26 episode ones though take 2 discs but not by much.

and lets say that you only sell 1000 coppies, im lowballing that number, but that is 5-10000$

im assumeing that 30% dont hate it, and that of that .01% would buy it, and .1% of them would buy it in high quality import if they can.
    that number comes to
    39943
    and

which by my math would come to (rounding up to 40k and 40)

which would be 200000, and 400000 respectively
    and 24000 to 48000$ (highballing it at 100$ a disc for 2 episodes, take 20%-40% off those numbers for a more normal anime cost)

17:06 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know if you've observed it , but Chinese businessmen are scattered all over the world. Hell, some of them were going to buy the Cleveland Cavaliers. They're VERY successful businessmen. A LOT of the richest men in asia are Chinese. Chinese Billionaires are only second to how many there are in the US. Not just that but those of Chinese ethnicity also dominate the asian business.

20:19 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder how they got so rich... cut corners, fraud (look at all those imitation thats obviously from china on e-bay from things ranging from bags to glasses)

Comment by Holy One
    20:06 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You can have 10 billion people there and 1 billion who like anime.

But none of them will buy anything; they just download. Lol.

21:28 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

no, we do buy things. The problem is where the money ends up D:

10:33 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, no, the point is that some anime is just stamped out of crap factories and even the toxic animals that live in China can figure it out.