sumire-saito-1.jpg

The latest addition to K-ON!’s pantheon of moeblobs is Sumire Saito, who fans have not unreasonably noted is virtually a carbon copy of gentleman’s favourite Tsumugi Kotobuki, save for the caterpillar eyebrows.

sumire-saito-2.jpg

For those not familiar with the new status quo, Sumire Saito is one of Azunyan’s moeblob minions, appearing only in the newly published Azunyan high-school spin-off manga, whereas the other ‘blobs continue on in the new K-ON! at university.

sumire-saito-3.jpg

Incidentally, unlike Tsumugi, Sumire is clearly identified as a blonde and blue-eyed Caucasian (or “a foreigner” as the manga puts it) by Azusa and company, though one mysteriously bearing a Japanese name and seemingly devoid of barbarian mannerisms.

The fan reaction:

“Mugi is finished you guys!”

“She’s so cute!”

“Damn, isn’t she cute?”

“What’s this throbbing in my chest?”

“Sumire-chan! So cute!”

“I’ll trade in my Mugi for that one.”

“Sayonara Mugitards.”

“Kakifly: ‘If I make Mugi cute she’ll look like this…'”

“They fixed her weight and eyebrows.”

“She’s cute but as a character she’s a bit lightly characterised…”

“She’s not plump enough.”

“Does she have money though, money?”

“A blonde tea-drinker! She’s ripped off Mugi too much!”

“One is uni, the other school, so they can coexist!”

sumire-saito-4.jpg

“Wait, if you fatten up her eyebrows, she’s totally Mugi!”

sumire-saito-5.jpg

“Gross, she’s ruined. We can do without them.”

“Mugi-chan is crying!”

sumire-saito-6.jpg

“She can’t win against Mugi!”

sumire-saito-7.jpg

Comment by flood
    21:11 03/05/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

She's frickin adorable. Mugi's eyebrows and attitude are what makes her Mugi. Sumire seems like the shy type, which most poeple are just a sucker to.

Mugi is popular cuz of her uniqueness. Sumire will be popular cuz they used traits of popular anime girls for her.

I love Mugi, and I'll surely end up loving Sumire too.

And imo, Sumire with Mugi brows does not look like Mugi at all.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    21:24 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree with what you said
    But Sumire looks a bit like Mugi

A bit is an understatement.

I donno, man. She just look too much like a Mugi without the large eyebrows. Also, why must there be 2 foreigners with the same gold hair and the same unnatural ability to do anything?

I guess I can skip the Pinoys since they obviously view most of them as little more than gorillas, but what about those dark-haired Brazillian chicks? Hell, the brunettes? I had business appointments with a few gorgeous jet-black-haired French. Let's not forget the blacks too.

22:11 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I... I want to believe that's Himeko dying her hair blonde, sneaking inside and disguising herself as a third year student.

But then again, Himeko's sex hair is one of the strong point why she's one of the top popular mob characters so I wouldn't like it if that's her new hair.

Comment by jamesownsall
    23:15 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You and I both know that we won't ever see Himeko again. Not in the official manga or anime anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't want them make Himeko somehow being a musician as well just to fit he clique(I prefer her seeming to have no serious interest in musical instruments), but I wish Houkago Teatime was shown to interact more with their classmates outside the band so we could see her more. The frank way Himeko talks to Yui seems to suggest that they're pretty much acquainted with each other.

Jun, although a musician, clearly didn't give a fuck about any of them except Mio and she looked like just a mob character in season 1. Yet it was her they chose to become prominent in season 2. It ain't fair!

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    00:35 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Sadly,that's the Kakifly's decision to make...
    I'd certainly like to see the other classmates have more screen time

23:52 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I agree with what you've just said. So sad but true. I guess we can only be a little glad that the anime came up with an altered RoMio and Juritsu arc where we at least get to see some of the classmates getting SOME lines, screentime and in fact being useful (blowing kiss to Shizuka-chan).

I do like Jun so I have nothing against her becoming a regular supporting character and getting her own Character Song Album.. though it makes me wonder why on earth Fumie [http://nagargo.up.seesaa.net/image/k-on3101.png] didn't get the same treatment, despite she's the longest lasting mob character [http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/663/20090529kon03.jpg] since season 1.

Those cat ears are shopped btw.

Comment by AzureXuchilbara
    06:13 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't wait for the fan-arts of both Tsumugi and Sumire to surface in Pixiv...

Preferably some lulzy parody and humorous ones like both of them being half-sisters or something, haha~

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    05:51 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I beg to differ, its no contest. Mugi is much more "demure" also Mugi is much more sophisticated.

This young lass is in a class all her own. Just that her hair is blonde and has normal eyebrows,... and She doesn't have a rack like Mugi does.

Biggest difference, her tits aren't as big as Mugi's tits.

The Azunyan Arc is totally a story onto itself. Why even compare it, they're both done by the same artist.

Besides, Mugi's family owns a chain of Music Stores. What does this youngster have to offer to the storyline? Beside more moeness

Its like comparing Honda's with Ducatti's

rolls eyes

Comment by Yourtime
    03:28 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I totally agree with you and see it the same.

Comment by Nue
    10:27 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

ehh... sure she look cute and a shy type thats a WIN, but mugi is a YURI thats a BIG WIN (/=3=)/

Comment by blubee
    13:15 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone else think she looks like a cross between Mugi and Mio?

Comment by John Hayabusa
    13:23 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

More like a lovechild of Mugi and Mio if you ask me. Or maybe Sumire is the long lost daughter of Mugi and Sawako.

23:16 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

mugi is still my number 1!!!!!

Comment by Stryder.Xero
    22:21 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Sumire is like Mugi in shy mode
    agree??

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    06:45 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

it would be moe scandalous if Sumire chan, were actually a boy.

Thanks to Arte picking just the right pics.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    00:38 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You're saying MioXMugi?

Comment by Shippoyasha
    21:29 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think they're comparing the wrong girl. Mugi just has no shame at anything she does. She'll always look like a big-sister in my eyes. The kind that doesn't seem to have any shame doing something. XD

While Mire's portrayal makes her look more like a shy/embarrassed Mio type.

Comment by flood
    21:32 03/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

The only trait Sumire has that is similar to Mugi is the hair color. Heck they don't even have the same Hair color!

Their skin tone is different, and no one else in K-ON ever had her hair style.

Mio's is long, straight and Hime-cut. Mugi's is fluff-wavy long and straight. Sumire's got some spikes and is also straight and long, kinda like Char's :3

And I agree with Shippo~

Comment by flood
    04:33 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I was talking about physical traits, but yeah, you're right. I didn't mention that to make my point seem more agreeable~

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    00:38 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

well,she has Mugi's trait,brewing tea(cakes too,maybe)

So then she's just designed after Tsumugi to rip off Mio's character?

Combining character traits like this isn't a good thing.

Comment by Bayonette
    01:52 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I like Mugi too with her eyebrows...

But I wonder what will 2ch react if some "pretending to be a black guy" calls "Sup Sumire!" due to her being a foreigner-like?

ahhhh! i cant wait to see what kind of equipment will she playing XD

not to mention that they didn't just thin her eyebows but seemingly also her chest size... seriously Mugi is the best ^^

Comment by flood
    21:36 03/05/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

@Anon 21:32
    Sorry but that's actually a plus on my side~~ ^^"

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    22:33 03/05/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

A "+"

I saw what you did there :3

Comment by Fenek Alfa
    22:01 03/05/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

As a DFC fan i have to give you a "+"

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    00:36 04/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

A★

Cállate mexicano pendejo....

Comment by Elcachetondelpuro

Shy tipe is popular because it makes you think is the kind of women you can shut up with a bitchslap ;)

Comment by Andices
    01:07 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ohohoho~ Both is fine~

Comment by Bob
    10:25 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Win

14:01 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

yes this is win why chose when you can has both

Comment by Philo
    23:21 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

They might look a like but I wouldn't say carbon copy, you misleading little triangle you!

She looks smaller, thinner, her hair is longer, her eyes are wider, totally different; blonde hair is not carbon copy, in that case Azusa is a carbon copy of Mio.

04:10 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I am STILL a Mugi-lover! I can room in my otaku heart for blondie also. If she's shy then really she's a Mio-Mugi hybrid.

A shy ditzy blonde foreigner? vs. a worldly light haired Japanese women up for anything? They are Nothing alike. Can't wait for the Sumire & Mugi scissoring dojinshi

23:14 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Loli version of Mugi

02:43 05/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Loli is not a synonym for cute, you idiot

Comment by yaku
    23:39 03/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

MAI WAIFU FOREVAH!

I'm really digging this "new mugi" though, she seems to be the shy type while Mugi-tan is the innocent ojousama type.

Can't wait for the official art and fanart of them, because it's obvious artists will put them together :D

Comment by Megidola
    00:36 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It'll be like a yuri game of spot-the-difference.

Just make five Mio's and K-On tards are happy.

13:23 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Mio is overrated

Comment by Megidola
    21:44 03/05/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

The moeblobs are evolving...now an even cuter form has appeared.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    07:58 04/05/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Mugimon digivolve to... Sumiremon!!!

Comment by Aaron
    08:19 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I spewed Dr. Pepper on my screen when I read that LOL

Comment by XxLolimasterxX
    08:23 07/12/2015 # ! Neutral (0)

Dr. Pepper and Time travel...That would fix the Mugen, I mean Mugi problem!

Comment by John Hayabusa
    13:25 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like Sawa-chan has a new Mugi-chan to love with!

Comment by Shima-kun989
    09:48 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i mean its only the intellectual beverage made for the chosen you know?

08:57 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Dr.Pepper? Have yo been watching Steins;Gate?

Comment by Etherstar
    12:23 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Love it X3

Comment by ACIDx
    12:54 04/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

NOOOOO!!! Not Mugi!!! Azu-nyan better not come across some rival like Kirino and Kuroneko and everyone will start loving the rival