PSN Victims Report Credit Card Fraud

sony-psn-logo-2

Sony’s admission that 77 million PSN accounts are in the hands of hackers has been followed by scores of reports alleging credit card fraud as a result of the leak, which Sony dismisses with its assertion that there is “no evidence” of the cards being leaked, although they concede they “cannot rule out the possibility.”

Innumerable reports of credit card fraud are being reported as the result of the Sony breach:

“My American Express card was compromised over the weekend. This card sits in a drawer in my house for emergencies, but I did use it once on my PSP for an account.

Luckily American Express is very good at notifying me immediately after the first fraudulent purchase.”

“About two or three days ago, my bank notified me that I had gotten my own [credit card information] stolen, the one I use for my PSN account, and with it a ticket was purchased through a German airline for nearly $600.

They are still looking into the fraud charge meaning that right now I have a negative $500 in my account, with no good chance that I’ll be getting that back any time soon.”

“I also had an attempted fraudulent charge on my American Express card, about $8,000 going to some Japanese store. This all happened about when PSN started having trouble, so I’m betting this had something to do with it.

My advice: if you have your credit card info on PSN, watch your accounts like a hawk. I’m buying pre-paid cards from now on; you know, if I decide to ever spend money on PSN again.”

“I logged into my bank account just to check everything was OK and I found out there was some just over $2,000 in charges which I didn’t personally accrue.

There was a number of early transactions on the 23rd of amounts under $1, which they say is the usual kind of test run that fraudsters do and then there’s been a number of transactions of larger amounts, including domestic flights within Australia, bookings at Best Westerns [hotels] and what not.”

It must of course be stressed that this could all be sheer coincidence, or the result of blame for unrelated fraud unfairly being placed on Sony.

In fact, Sony does seem to claim all this is coincidence, though they do at least advise anyone silly enough to have shared their card details with them to treat them as stolen:

Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken.

The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

Q: Was my credit card data taken?
A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility.

If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

There is already talk of billions of dollars of litigation, fines and compensation, to say nothing of the ruination of the PSN’s future business prospects, so it seems likely Sony will be reeling for some time to come.

Regarding when the PSN will be back up, Sony promises it will only be brought back when it is confident the network is “secure” (if this means anything coming from Sony), and provides the rather interestingly worded assurance that “we expect to have some services up and running within a week from yesterday.”

01:21 29/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

My theory: There are always people getting scammed. I believe "some" of these victims lost their credit info through other means than the PSN Outage. Now they're using the PSN as an excuse to gain back some money.

FBI support was hired by Sony yesterday, that means you can rest assured if your in America.
    People can at least stop bragging that Sony isn't doing enough now. That Anti+DDOS Company + FBI + Sony Engineers should be more than enough to trace and arrest the hackers.

My take on how it happened:
    Anonymous uses "Internet Bully" cause Sony = Unfair.
    Sony uses "Release Geohot" = Anonymous shuts up.
    Anonymous backs down = Rogue Cells of Anon shut down PSN (Likely Real Criminals)

04:33 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't live in America, and I want my lb of flesh.

Comment by Elcachetondelpuro
    04:40 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Oj, jews alwas want a lb of flesh ¬__¬U

Comment by chinito4life
    02:04 01/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

C-c-combo breaker!

23:40 28/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I love how people are quick to exploit someone who is having trouble. Seriously, unless your one of the hackers or are working for Sony to fix the problem, you have no clue what really happened and what was stolen.

There are millions of users on PSN, and there are millions of cases of credit card fraud reported monthly.

My own credit card was hacked two months ago. I've never used it online. But if it happens again tomorrow, I guess I can blame Sony.

Comment by cats2
    23:09 28/04/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

1. Buy a 3thousand dollar 50 inch 3-d t.v.

2. Report it as a fraudulent expense and attribute it to this incident.

3. ??????

4. Profit.

Comment by nemesis
    23:45 28/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.3)

agreed, odds are 80% of these are the owners attempting to score some free items.

23:46 28/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

No, it is not likely in the slightest. I get ANGRY as fuck when someone starts spouting that bullcrap. They have to be either paid Sony posters or do not realize that most people would NOT do something like this AND the credit card companies can COME TO YOUR HOUSE TO INSPECT and make sure that thing bought isn't in your home!

00:22 29/04/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

1. Buy a 3thousand dollar 50 inch 3-d t.v.

2. Store it at a friend's place for the weekend.

3. Report it as a fraudulent expense and attribute it to this incident.

4. Say hello and bye bye to the nice inspector men.

5. ??????

6. Profit.

01:29 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

It's not called bullcrap, it's called truth.

Comment by Kuraudo
    05:34 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Jail time is right; there are serious penalties for that kind of crap and people get caught doing it all the time, psn outage or not.

19:27 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Last comment before mine is closer to the damned truth! If you order it online? Wow.... every step of the things journey is monitored!

You ain't gonna get away with ordering something online and saying it's a fraudulent purchase with UPS order tracking.

01:37 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Buy a 3 thousand 50" 3d tv
    2. Store it at a friends house
    3. Blame this incident
    4. Say hello and the bye to police officer
    5. Normal well trained detective and Ada supenia store for video of said time and day of purchase
    6. Police see your face on video with tv.
    7. ????????????
    8. Jail time

02:32 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Buy a 3 thousand 50" 3d tv via internet
    2. Change shipping address to unoccupied house, unrented house or apartment complex in different neighborhood
    3. Sign for package in a retarded manner opposite of normal manner paying attention to round more or make sharper end (practice makes perfect) and pick up TV at the door
    4. Stash TV in friend's house
    5. Report credit card fraud
    6. Say hello and then bye to police officer
    7. Grab 3 thousand 50" 3d tv and gift it to friend or hot chic on major event (birthday/xmas)
    8. Gain major favor in return/emotional debt that'll translate into huge gift and/or sex
    9. ??????
    10. PROFIT!

02:33 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Get your friend to buy a 3 thousand 50" 3d tv
    2. Store it at a friends house
    3. Blame this incident
    4. Say hello and the bye to the nice inspector men
    7. ????????????
    8. Jail time...Not

02:56 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So...
    With possibly 70 millions people going to report fraud, I don't think they'll have the manpower to check if everyone is telling the truth...

1. Stop being friends with said friend
    2. Await his report to the FBI
    3. Enjoy your prison time for insurance fraud

Comment by Ota-Kool
    23:35 28/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's a good one. :> buy some beer and a babe too.

Comment by Riiku
    01:23 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

The way I see it, all those people deserve to have their money stolen. How can you not see the simple logic in using dedicated/pre-paid credit card for online purchases?

I keep one and keep it empty most of the time. I put money on it right before the purchase. So good luck stealing my money, fucking thiefs. I double dare you.

19:28 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Simply? Because most people DON'T HAVE THE MONEY to put 2K on a pre-paid credit card for online purchases.

Secondly, because those pre-paid cards have MUCH LESS PROTECTIONS to them than regular credit cards.

23:19 28/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

for all its worth, PSN no longer accept pre-paid or virtual cards. They used to accept them but stopped last year. Which forced people like me to start buying overpriced PSN cards from eBay and such.

Comment by Minako
    00:38 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Are there no gaming stores where you live?
    A $20 PSN card costs $20, so I don't see how it's overpriced.

At any rate, I'm glad they did block virtual cards before my first PSN purchase. This way, I know my bank info is 100% safe.

00:59 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

oh there are many gaming stores here, but I am in a region that is _NOT_ officially covered by PSN. So I have to open an account using a fake international address. There are many that do that in many countries.

yes, I still can't figure out why do companies regional lock their digital stores

11:24 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Or maybe they don't care about that region (Chile doesn't have PSN Store yet)

Comment by Gitami
    02:36 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably tax related or that they haven't secured license to open a store in the region.

04:47 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually tried many times to use my credit card to buy things on the PSN network in 2008 (to buy downloadable stuff) and it wouldn't accept it. I tried many times in vain to input the info correct - always rejected my e-mail addresses.

I was forced to buy those Pre-Paid Sony PSN cards and never tried a Credit Card again. Doesn't Xbox live sell these cards to buy an OnLine subscription.

05:04 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah Xbox has cards for online subscriptions and cards for points.

Comment by SunnyJ
    01:34 29/04/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

These people are just silly and using it to exploit the system. A hacker isn't going to use this for domestic flights or to stay at a hotel. They're more likely to use it on purchasing goods online and having them sent to a dummy location and pick them up at some later time.

From working at a hosting company I can tell you that there are some people that do very little to keep users data secure. I'm sure Sony used measures beyond what is necessary to protect data; besides, there is no system that is immune to being hacked. Give enough hackers enough time and the incentive to hack it, they will do it.

The only blame I put on Sony right now is not being able to determine how extensive the hack was in a timely manner.

07:02 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'd say a lot of people are going to make false claims against sony in order to try con money out of them.

Still I do believe data with sony will be mostly secure enough. I imagine that it was far more secure than most websites and after this they'll have to pour considerable resources into beefing up security so it doesn't happen again.

Anyway I'll trust them again at least one more time anyway. No dodgey transactions going through my card but keeping an eye on it.

07:34 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Sue $ony, sue it RIGHT NOW!!!!

11:51 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I imagine Sony is justifiably getting a liable suit as well since the news is lying about the no encryption/"Plain text" bullshit. Their source was a fucking /g/ thread and a fake irc record.

The credit card info is hashed and Sony, like all online retailers, don't retain the security code, so no online purchases with the information on there can be made.

Hell you can't even open a new card with name and address or email unless your dumb enough to use the same password everywhere and have your SSN in an easy to reach area like your Gmail accounts.

If anything you could say that microsoft and google are to blame for people falling for Phishing schemes on a daily basis.

too late, already a lawsuit filed

11:18 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can only hope you are right.. If the breach really was, as rumors say, caused by PSN security relying on the console being safe then they are crazy and deserves whatever bad things they get because of this..

But for now I will give them the benefit of a doubt and hope they actually had that "very sophisticated security system" protecting them.

10:58 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

well, that's what you say. the truth is out there

03:31 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, no. No sane hacker would try to use the stolen CC info for himself, he'd be caught within weeks. They sell the date to specialized criminal syndicates, who'll then launder the money by using the credit cards to make hard to trace purchase all around the world. See the post for examples (which are almost certainly cases of stolen credit card info, though that doesn't mean that there's any relation to the Sony incident.)

Comment by Kuraudo
    05:32 29/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

One word: Nigeria

10:55 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

What does that have to do with this?

Comment by Sorrior
    07:40 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Well my account has had stranger charges so i'm gonna have a new debit card sent to me. HOWEVER i'm not gonna blame sony or sue em. Not their fault this happened.

Well sony screwed up and betrayed the trust of customers so it's only fair that they get screwed up in turn. Data loss happens, breaches happen, but it's entirely the company's responsibility to secure their data as much as possible and keep up to date with vulnerabilities. No matter the reason, sony has been trusted with user data and MUST protect it over their lives.

08:59 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony doesnt agree with you. See the user agreement of the psn.

10:14 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

eula is the same thing as a verbal/written contract between two people as long as both parties agree to the terms it is law abding

Comment by nope
    09:18 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

wow sony sure is lucky the psn EULA makes them immune to local; provinical; and national law and failing due diligence where required doesn't matter thanks to that magical EULA oh wait it doesn't work that way. Dumb ass internet lawyers are all to available to field their opinion on this issue it seems.

00:32 29/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

A security breach can happen to any company, even banks. Sony did what they could, and still continue to do so. Meanwhile, massive loss of money is likely to await them, only made worse by sensationalism, outright lies and alarmism.

Well, they waited 4-5 days before telling people a hacker could possibly have had access to your credit card data.
    That is 4-5 days for the hacker to spend all your money without you even knowing it's stolen...

05:21 29/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

They didn't KNOW that personal information was compromised. They knew nothing more than that there was a security breach.

04:06 29/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

they did warn people in their initial statement of a security breach

03:48 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Some of these people are mere opportunists, simply seeking the chance at an easy buck. They're probably none too smart with their card information to begin with and had it stolen through other sources or scams as a result of their own stupidity. There are those that simply become unlucky, however. Personally, I only use one credit card which has a very low limit and is for emergencies only. The rest of the time I use a debit card on an account where I can put in only what's needed to make a purchase.

04:58 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

They must be fucking Americunts. Most of them are opportunists animals.

13:59 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

QUOTE *has joined the lawsuit, even tho the CC used was canceled 3 years ago, and I blanked the info associated with my PSN, I still got notice from my old bank about somebody trying to use it. But it was denied thankfullly" END QUOTE

You sir are a liar. No financial institution would contact you over an credit account that had been canceled for 3 years already. Secondly to add a card to PSN it must be a valid working card.

06:01 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, because you're so moral as to not jump on that class-action lawsuit. Good job, bro. I personally am not, but there has been no indication of fraud for me yet. When there is, I am expecting my payday.

Comment by Drakos.Amatras
    03:42 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Both Anons made good points. d ^_^ b