Rurouni Kenshin Returns

kenshin-by-mizu-no.jpg

Fans of bakumatsu NEET anime Rurouni Kenshin have greeted news of the franchise’s resurrection, in the form of a new anime, with some scepticism.

The news comes by way of Shonen Jump:

sj-kenshin.jpg

Also announced are Blu-ray releases of the deservedly acclaimed movie and OVAs.

However, there is some scepticism about the sudden revival of an otherwise dead franchise:

“They’re really pushing Kenshin lately aren’t they?”

“Their crappy new game is sure to sink without trace. They may love this anime overseas but in Japan it’s done for.”

“Didn’t one of the seiyuu pass away in any case?”

“However you slice it, this is going to be rubbish. It’s not possible to surpass the Kyoto arc or the OVA. Let it rest in peace!”

Kenshin may be a victim of its own success – so good are some of the previous works that they will hard to equal, let alone surpass.

The OP from the PSP game shows off what might be in store:

01:46 19/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

Rurounin Kenshi 1.11 You are [not] Battousai

Comment by djchayan
    11:54 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well done! Good job sir!!

Comment by Ido
    17:33 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

lol you sir made my day!

01:51 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

F@&ng great hahahaha!

Nice one Anon.

Comment by Dreck
    07:15 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

there's no way they can fuck this up. the zen of ken is unstoppable.

06:39 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

yes, YES, THIS IS DELICIOUS

07:18 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This is KENSHIN!!!!

00:53 07/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This is what you call COMPOSURE

14:14 20/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

GATOTSU ZERO STYLE

14:15 20/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

MAKOTO CCO, SU CABEZA ES MIO

05:48 21/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE, I'LL BRING THE LAW OF NATURE TO YOU

14:34 20/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

FUTAE NO KIWAMI AHHHHHH

08:47 02/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

GUUUUREN KAINAAA

Moron, you will never understand this series since you need to know Japanese of old times.

This is the only anime that uses proper Japanese VS stupid low shit slang in most animes.

23:24 19/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Bullshit. Tons of historical animes have used period-correct Japanese. Tons more modern ones use proper formal Japanese. And anyway, no one in Kenshin would have used formal or proper Japanese except for the officials and maybe Saitou...the rest of them (Kenshin included) are commoners who would have used the slang of the day (such as "de gansu" for "de gozaimasu", which Megumi never uses, despite it being fashionable for trendy ladies in the late 19th century in Japan). Kenshin would know proper Japanese but would never use it as he wants to appear as a commoner.

17:55 28/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Can you really understand it to? Did you live it? Let me guess your a 13 little boy that his balls just drop watching Kenshin and thinks he knows everything about everything.

01:40 19/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Jus make the enishi arc and follow the damn manga, not the stupid christian with hitten mitsurugi powers

Comment by Holy One
    02:51 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That would actually work.

The anime was great up to Shishio Arc. I don't even remember what I watched after that (Amakusa and Feng Shui crap).

Comment by Holy One
    03:53 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And I was quite disappointed at the anime when I read the manga. That's when I realized there's Enishi arc! OVA didn't even cover a quarter of it.

14:24 20/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The Kyoto arc was the only part of the TV series that bothered to resemble the manga. Which is why it had decent fight scenes and that whole plotty thing. Or rather, why everything else in the TV show was godawful horrible.

Whether it's animating the Revenge arc or just redoing the wrecked parts before Kyoto, the lesson that needs to be applied is "Just keep it like the comics. Also fuck your saxophone music."

22:59 22/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

no no, what we need is Seta Sōjirō back!

Comment by Kuro'Base'Neko
    07:03 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This is really GREAT!!!

Rurouni Kenshin is the most best mid 90's anime at that time.

An Anime with a good replay value. Awesome Stories with great talented Seiyuu and epic awesome bands filled in the soundtracks.

To be true, No Anime nowadays can really compete with these all perfection in Rurouni Kenshin.

The reason why people don't like this Anime, probably either because he/she too outdated watched this Anime. or because he/she too retard for comprehended this Anime.

By the way, hope the new version will be good as before.

Comment by Daisuki-chan

I don't like all the damn fillers. That's neither outdated nor retarded.

It's pretty sad that fanboys can't accept that fillers made the anime worse. Or maybe my language was too edgy? ;p

So, you are a kenshinfag?

Comment by PaperJunkie
    01:01 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What the hell do you call Dragon Ball Kai then? I for one am looking forward to reliving my old toonami days. whos with me?!

10:29 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

DBKai is just DBZ but cutting out hundred hours of worthless still frames, nonsensical groaning, and fillers. They can do the same for Kenshin, but to reboot it or continue where it left off is rather skeptical.

01:27 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What's this? Sankaku is posting actual anime news?

I don't see what could be done with Kenshin really. The TV series turned into a disaster in the last third and it feels dysfunctional with the more serious themed OVAs. I can only see it being some kind of reboot or fanservice OVA, but there are other shows that need completion or retelling more than Kenshin.

01:35 19/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.3)

"The TV series turned into a disaster in the last third.."

Need to agree. The Feng Shui arc is a total trainwreck.

Comment by Miriandandes
    02:16 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Just the last one? The series doesn't count after Shishio. There's that and the OVA, nothing else.
    And really, if they're gonna continue or remake anything, it should be in the style of the OVA.

03:45 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

They should do a proper remake and start all over like FMA did with a proper budget (if there's something that annoyed me in the old anime is the many stills used on the fights) and be 100% faithful to the manga all down to Enishi's Arc. Or do a more compressed version with OVAs a la Hellsing, but not like what they did to Enishi's Arc in the old ovas (I wanted to kill someone it was so insulting to the manga version).

Rurouni Kenshin is long overdue a proper adaptation; make it happen.

03:07 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well, I actually sorta liked the Black Knights arc, personally. The Shogo Amakusa one was pretty interesting but the final battle of that arc was extremely a 100% Letdown. The most boring arc is indeed the one with the scholar kid and the fencing dude; I watched the series two times and I still have no idea what's it all about, all I can remember is it's about a wimp kid trying to be tough so he can get the affection of the girl he has a crush with(?). The Feng Shui.. as stated before; Instant trainwreck simply for being nothing but a pointless filler arc..., not to mention they made it as the finale of the whole series.

Honestly, while I do admit the Shishio arc is damn epic, there were some stuff that I'm not really impressed on; the fact that most of the fight scenes (especially Soujirou's) consist of long flashbacks and dialogues (not that I'm against deep characters' background, of course), which is also the same major aspect why people are getting turned off by the recent fight scenes in both Bleach and Naruto. Other than that, I kinda wished Shishio's defeat could be more epic instead of just burning himself due to his physical disorder.

Comment by Miriandandes
    13:43 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If they do something like Hellsing Ultimate is doing (WITHOUT WAITING LIKE 2 YEARS FOR THE NEXT EPISODE), I will be extremely satisfied. The remake of FMA is also an excellent example of what should happen.

12:56 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I only disliked the last Feng Shui arc, I liked the other fillers.

06:03 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

that's when I'm glad I only read the manga...

01:01 20/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I forgive them for the sexy ninja girl Hinagi in the Black Knights arc thingy where they were all fighting over flowers.

Comment by Riiku
    01:59 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Holy shit! Hoooly Shiiit!!!! Is this a dream!?? I want this even more that Berserk resurrection.

Comment by WEL
    13:40 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

MoeComplex talking about anything else other than Hirano or pantsu is quite the surprise! lol

01:31 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Maybe, maybe not... who knows. Stories during the bakumetsu = suspect of being awesome. More stories = beating a dead horse but who knows... can be awesome too. But fine, I must say that I was excited for a few minutes.

Comment by VillainousHanacha
    01:05 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The first Manga I ever followed...

Now this brings back memories. Aoshi and Saito for the win!

Comment by VillainousHanacha
    01:26 19/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

However, even though I do like Ruroni Kenshin, I have mixed feelings about a new Anime. On one hand the series has ended, And the Manga had a pretty solid ending at that as well. I feel it could stand up on it's own, and that there could be screw ups possible in the making of a new series.

On the other hand this series was one of my introductions to the mediums of Anime and Manga which I love so much, and the series by it's own merits is a very solid Shounen with very interesting characters (Saito, Aoshi, and Misao are my favorites). As someone with fond memories of the series I would love to see it in a re-made form with modern visual quality.

Hm, I'll just wait and see what happens. All I can do is hope for the best.

10:25 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Didn't Kenshin in both Manga and Anime form have a definite end? Unless it's a remake like DBZ Kai, there's no actual new material to cover. The Enishi arc was good but they practically closed the book on sequels from the way the anime ended.

Comment by motaku96
    12:57 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Nostalg'd. I wanna play that game now.

13:20 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I know Kenshin was supposed to be a badass (in his Battousai days). But back when I tried watching the original tv series seeing this guy just go around bludgeoning people with the back of his sword (even people that deserved to die) just didn't cut it with me (pun intended).

14:31 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yep, he's still too girly for his own good. This was before I was introduced to yaoi. And man, Imma kill this horse so hard when it comes out. I wouldn't be able to play it thinking about the dumb broad in the anime though. >.> She irritated the piss out of me. I think I felt something bleed one time I heard her voice. And it wasn't my ears....

15:25 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Glad to see there will be a remake of one of my most favorite series. Really looking to seeing the Jinchuu arc in animated form.

12:35 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh my fucking god.. I just came..

Battousai can't fuck anything up, except his enemies of course. Win.

Fuck1n' hate ken-fags.

Comment by WEL
    13:27 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

One of the first anime I ever watched was Samurai X along with Tekkaman Blade and Ranma 1/2. And they are continuing the series? OMG! =3

12:57 19/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Random guy from Episode One: "He takes out four to five people with one swing, it's magic!!!!"

xD