aria-the-scarlet-ammo-005

aria-the-scarlet-ammo-002

aria-the-scarlet-ammo-021

aria-the-scarlet-ammo-001

Newly airing Kugyu anime Aria the Scarlet Ammo (or Hidan no Aria) has been panned for a total lack of originality and a story which “feels as though a middle schooler slapped it together,” with the presence of ample service, heavily armed schoolgirls and Rie Kugimiya seemingly unable to save it – although similar criticisms were levelled at Infinite Stratos, an anime which went on to enjoy blockbuster sales…

aria-the-scarlet-ammo-003
aria-the-scarlet-ammo-021
aria-the-scarlet-ammo-022
aria-the-scarlet-ammo-023
aria-the-scarlet-ammo-024
aria-the-scarlet-ammo-025
aria-the-scarlet-ammo-026

The bulletproof vaulting horse at least appears set to enjoy some popularity.

Bikini omake:

aria-the-scarlet-ammo-bikini-poster

Comment by Palmtop Tsundere
    17:33 15/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

"Boobs, guns, and Kugumiya"- the perfect combination.

Can't wait for the green haired girl with the SVD.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    19:43 15/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Okay, is this new anime related to another "Aria" [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ARIA] anime/manga? This one is like the "Boobs, guns, and Kugumiya" version of the latter. Or maybe Aria meets Noir/Madlax/El Cazador De La Bruja.

Comment by makkun
    20:00 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You're thinking of a completely different Aria.

Wait! You trolling?

Comment by The REAL Lamberto
    20:43 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@makkun I think he's being sarcastic.

22:07 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome art.
    Awesome lolis.
    Awesome orgasms.

Comment by Megidola
    23:31 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Instead of a tsundere loli with a sword...she plays a tsundere loli with guns.

Whoever said this wasn't original?

Comment by Gitami
    00:46 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Reminds me Gonzo need to do Guns and Sword 2. But no more frustrating ass on ass censors.

02:11 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Make that tsundere loli with guns AND swords! Innovation reaching critical levels.

21:18 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

hey genius, sword with an "s" is plural!

12:24 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Aria has two swords LOL. Watch the episode before opening your shithole.

Comment by Myballz
    07:56 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Its so cute someone would want a little girl to carry a gun?

13:28 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

LOLI's?! GUNS?! Count me in!! I'm hard...

Comment by bamboocopter
    18:35 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

as long as Boobs ≠ Kugimiya

Comment by yuriphoria
    00:20 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I want to see boobs on Kugumiya for once.

05:13 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

She's played loads of characters with huge boobs, Mizore for one.

You're just not looking very hard.

@ Palmtop Tiger What a stupid comment, yet the fucking idiots here lap it up. Danny Choo RULZ!! Take that Whitey!

Comment by VillainousHanacha
    20:41 15/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Eh, I found it entertaining enough. I was able to enjoy Dragon Crisis, Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka, and Infinite Stratos even though they were all derivative. I've said it before and I'll say it 1000 times more, originality does not automatically mean quality. It ain't my absolute favorite, but it isn't total shit either. It's only the 1st episode, so let's let the series do what it has to do.

Also, funny thing about saying things too soon or saying absolutes. They have a tendancy to bite you in the ass. It's best to reserve judgement until the series is complete, halfway done at the quickest. So I'll keep watching until then.

Comment by SunnyJ
    21:58 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with what you are saying here. Yes, each anime has something that will appeal to many people; many animes these, days for better or worse, are relying on moe/fan service. In addition to that plot will also not push an anime into the top with terrible art or story. However, if you can get a combination that's a rare and enjoyable anime.

Last season if I would have gone off of the first episode of animes I would have rated Freezing the best as there was a chance that the guy might not be fail; however, that didn't happen. Madoka wouldn't have been anywhere near the top of my list either; however, it became #1 as episodes progressed.

Now, I will be the first to admit that I want a solid plot, not just something thrown in at the end to seem like plot. However, this won't cause me to not watch these fan service based animes. I like pantsu just as much as the next person =D

22:18 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm the next person, and nobody likes pantsu as much as me. What say you good sir?

Comment by SunnyJ
    22:23 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll take your pantsu challenge and counter with an enjoyment of loli pantsu.. =D

nopan loli beats you all.

Comment by Shinji103
    18:07 15/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

"although similar criticisms were levelled at Infinite Stratos, an anime which went on to enjoy blockbuster sales…"

Quote for truth right here. Pretty much goes to show the reliability, or lack thereof, of general criticism.

This is exactly why I don't give a crap about the whining of the general anime fandom; all they do about virtually every anime lately is whine, whine again, and whine some more. The bill 156 coming up in July? Whiners call it "a chance for anime creators to improve their animes." Right.

Many of my favorite animes (most of which did very well in Japan) were bashed by the general fandom for the exact same reasons as Stratos and Aria.

Anime DVDs in Japan cost about $60 US per volume; BDs even more. For no more than 3 episodes at most per volume, quite often 2. (Yosuga no Sora had the largest number of episodes per volume I've seen pretty much ever, but mainly because each volume had episode 1 in it, plus another of the early episodes sometimes, to make each volume a full arc of the omnibus format) You don't pay that kind of money, especially in Japan's not-doing-so-good economy, unless you like the series.

18:23 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

You missed the point entirely. Just because something is popular or has lots of sales doesn't mean it's good. If that was true, then Justin Beiber would be the greatest living musician. So if you like this show, that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that it is wholly derivative and quite frankly, the world would have been a better place without it.

23:15 15/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Actually, if sales don't indicate what is good, what does? Things are called as they are because people have come to a consensus about them. Even for something relatively lacking in depth or technical merit, if most people say it is good, then I too must admit it is good - it's just not for my tastes. Likewise when a niche audience tries to be the arbiter of quality and taste, they are not taken seriously unless they hold some higher academic standing or other relevant clout to make people take notice of them.

06:01 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's hard to understand that when fandoms are so polarizing. While some say Madoka is good, others say it is bad. So it really comes down to you make the decision to watch it and decide.

For some, moe/fanservice = always good. lol

10:10 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's no hard to understand the polarizing of Madoka though. I'll point out I never saw an episode but from what I can tell, it was anime with all the generic moe and fanservice package right from the beginning and that's what pulled it's audience from and then I'm guessing midway to the ending.

The anime took a serious route throwing in some actual plot, where your usual bunch of otaku would be forced to try a serious turn in an anime mixed with the usual crap and loved it. Whereas an original serious anime would never have been sampled by this said audience right from the beginning.

Yes, I am describing some of you on here, don't be so shocked after reading this.

Comment by Shinji103
    19:14 15/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

No I didn't miss the point, I just pointed out the fact that whiners like you try to ignore in your efforts to bash things; if something sells well, it's strongly contradictory to the whiners' claims that a show is bad.

Naturally guys like you try to stay away from facts like this by claiming it "misses the point," since it debunks your claims after all.

I also return your statement back at you; if you don't like this show, fine, but it doesn't make it bad, nor does it make your opinions superior to anybody else's. So stop acting like your opinion of this show being bad is fact.

Too many people in the anime fandom are like you these days, slamming against shows they don't like (quite often just for the sake of hating something and not giving any reason or basis at all) and acting like their opinions are "fact." THAT is what the world would be better off without. On the other hand, sales are FACTUAL numbers, and are far better indicators of how good or bad a show is than the opinions of whiners acting like their opinions are "facts."

23:25 15/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

You are all missing the point, because you're all trying to measure the quality of a show based on rational factors, but the problem is that enjoyment isn't a rational matter. Just because a show has an original plot, new characters doesn't mean you're going to appreciate it, and it is essentially very subjective.
    What you need to change is your premise towards these shows; don't expect to be blasted away in amazement with every Anime you watch, but set your standards according to what you're watching...

20:42 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Shinji, while you are correct about the dangers of jumping on the bashing-wagon everytime it comes around, it is important to note that your argument is logically flawed.

I would like to note that reacting with a "stop whining" to every instance of criticism is just as mindless as is jumping on every criticism wagon that rolls about. The least you can do is to actually read the arguments and debunk them with proof of your own, if you have any.

20:25 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't know man, Stratos was going downhill fast if not for Charlotte and Laura.

20:24 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I also agree with anon18:23, just because it sells a lot doesn't mean it's actually good.

The Twilight books are bestsellers and they're pieces of crap. That is a fact. No seriously just read it, even an English-as-second-language person like me can't comprehend how that book got published without going through a QC (and that's without taking into account story, characters and such).

I understand where you're coming from; while I am one of those people who think shows like this one (boobs, guns, and loli faces) are merely there to titillate the audience with cheap fanservice, sometimes a nice light show is what we need.

Comment by HouseLife
    19:32 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@shinji103

You see, Shinji, if you had been more like that in End of Evangelion, then you'd be loved o so much more! ...but then we wouldn't get the new movies... which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing yet.

Honestly, I never listen to anyone about an anime or a game before seeing/playing it. Ever. Only time I get information is when it's incidental. I can already sense if an anime is going to be good or not, and that's because I go into it with the express purpose of enjoying it on the terms of the creators: no preconceived notions, no spoilers, no opinions influencing my perceptions. Just my eyes, my ears, and an open mind to let them serenade me through their story. If it has problems, I pick them up, but problems rarely make them unwatchable.

It is the immature nature of our generation in general that causes such awkwardness among anime fans. Not being able to recognize social cues in terms of knowing how to speak universally about something you enjoy without being annoying, and asking someone what they disliked about something rather than assuming they're stupid for disliking it. Nine times out of ten you'll earn respect even in a disagreement if you stick to your confidence about why you enjoyed something despite another person's issues with it, and are able to articulate it in your terms without making them wrong for it. It also helps knowing that 95% of the time, people hate anime because of outside influences they don't even recognize, hence my earlier statement :D

03:03 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i like pie

Comment by Firetribe
    00:28 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If you pay attention to the internet enough, there are always those who bash things. K-ON!, Haruhi, Lucky Star all had hate and hype. I even remember before the first subs for K-ON! came out, the world was divided into pro-Mio and anti-Mio factions. Haters tend to say something is not "good" while lovers will declare it a masterpiece. But you can't weigh things like that. It's really up to the viewer to decide if they dislike or like it.

"1) Correlation doesn't constitute causation. Because high sales has been correlated to good shows doesn't mean that all blockbusters are good. Your entire argument is based on the fallacy that "factual numbers" from sales are a far more indicative measure of an anime's overall quality. This is untrue."

What decides if a show is good? The individual's opinion or some rating scale?
    Some reviewers like to base their reviews on high standards of literature or cinematography. That said, if it doesn't meet any of the criteria set by Shakespeare or Casablanca the "good" label can't be applied. But ultimately, the most frequently used scale is opinion- " This show doesn't appeal to me, so it is bad. :V"
    So reviews are meaningless for non-sheep. The Anime/manga industry is a business where sellers accommodate the desires of the buyers. They aren't looking to create the next Casablanca or Shakespearean masterpiece, they are looking to cash on the current popular trends, the same way music companies are cashing in the Teen idol craze. Because *shock and awe* anime is made to make money.

"2) You are correct that there are many who "hate" something irrationally, without substantiated proof just for the sake of "hating" something. In this case, however, there has been a logical and coherent argument for the "whiners" as you call them. The show is claimed to have a weak plot. Whether you dispute that claim or not is another story, but dismissing that claim without even acknowledging it is another logical fallacy. You are assuming that all the "whiners" who have a problem with this show are motivated by only irrationality. In reality, they DO have an actual, rational argument to put forth."

Try to rationalize it and you will get purely nit-pickery. For some if a show has cute girls it automatically loses points. Because the people who decide what is good or bad use their opinions. If you are taking any of these people as gospel, you're accepting someone else's values as your own.

21:36 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

There are many people that are looking for originality and plot than plain old rehashing of the same story over and over with just a different event at the end. Exactly why IS had no plot appeal to me. Granted it had some nice fan service scenes; the plot was about as boring as they come and expected ending was expected.

Now this is good and all for people who enjoy moe, pantsu shots, and cute girls. Don't get me wrong, I watch these too just for the cute girls; but their actual quality is limited to their drawing/art (cute girls) which at best can only partly save them (then again, you have to notice that 70% of anime these days is all about moe because that's what people seem to buy).

Comment by Naoli
    22:04 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

uhmm.. some people just buy such anime(like IS) for fan service or should I say "most" people.

19:12 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Bieber?Touché!

@Shinji103 Quit thinking you're smart only because you make a long post. Get over yourself.

09:29 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Long or short doesn't matter. At least he's using those wall of texts to make a point, unlike what you did here which is no different than flamers in a board that just try to end an argument with "Fuck You!" thinking that they eventually will win the flame war for swearing.

@Shinji - So instead you're going to whine and whine and whine about whining people? *facepalm

19:28 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

In all fairness, those criticisms to IS were pretty early on in the series, especially before Charlotte was introduced who probably single-handedly made the show interesting lol. The ending was kind of disappointing though.

Personally I test each new show despite what people say here or on other forums for at least 3-4 episodes before i give up on it. You never know what you'll be missing if you just blindly follow what others say.

Comment by SunnyJ
    22:26 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly! Though, even if I end up not liking it I watch it anyway just to be 100% sure... that way I can criticize it fairly =b

07:54 20/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So in resume Infinite Stratos was saved by Charlotte from fallin into a hill?
    I think Laura, the german loli adds some plus there.
    But yeah, I agree Laura saved the show, the Houki's plot at the last episodes was random and soooo Sister Ex Machina D:.

19:09 15/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

They can criticise it as much as they want, but we all know most people who do so secretly enjoy the show ^^;

05:18 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

lol these are the same people who said Infinite Stratos was the most unoriginal anime ever and yet look at it's success don't trust their judgement Im checking it out

Comment by ironwarrior
    04:13 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Sounds like a winner to me! I'm waaaay to old to give a rat's ass what anyone ELSE thinks about an anime I like.

Personally, I like anime with:
    1) Fanservice
    2) Boobs
    3) Chicks with guns or swords
    4) Action
    5) Boobs

Did I mention boobs? Any size will do, but larger is better :) As long as there are plenty of boobs and action, I'm good. I liked Infinite Stratos, but Freezing was so-so.

I also like dystopic anime...with ACTION!

07:57 20/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This anime is flatchested and Kumigiya centric, so be prepared for a lot of her and some occasional girl with boobs, there will be few of them sadly.

01:13 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i'm tired of hearing kugimiya.

00:36 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

needs less men

more yuri

03:19 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"Boobs, guns, and Kugumiya" you say?

I'm sold.

Comment by Dmitrii
    03:58 16/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Only Kugimia Ries voice enough for me)