Nichijou “Excellent” “Too Surreal”

nichijou-001

Kyoto Animation’s new moegag anime Nichijou has begun airing to a generally positive reception, with viewers largely agreeing that any shortcomings of the original have been overwritten by the overpowering aura of KyoAni quality, although many express doubts over the surreal gags at the heart of the show.

nichijou-002
nichijou-031
nichijou-032
nichijou-033
nichijou-034
nichijou-035
nichijou-036

The online consensus appears to be that, whilst no K-ON! (or even an Ika-Musume), Nichijou benefits hugely from flawless production values and may well have a promising future in spite of at times idiosyncratic humour.

Comment by dootsy
    16:37 03/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I'm getting strong Potemayo vibes from the visual non sequitur humor in the screenshots. I predict it will follow a similar fate with a small but vocal following while it's airing, but a few years later everyone will forget about it. (....;___;)

20:34 03/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I felt PaniPoniDash! vibes from it instead of Potemayo.

It's no K-On! for sure, but still a 24 minutes well spent imo.

It would be much better if they just made a show about Hakase, her android and that talking cat.

13:22 11/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know about Pani Poni... I mean, it sure comes out that way than Azumanga (which every one things so), but Pani Poni is really like a overdosed Lucky Star (most, if not all otaku humor). It's more like Gag Manga Biyori meets Azumanga or Sketchbook.

Comment by zeniselv
    15:23 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

you cant deny the quality kyoani puts to its works, but in moeblob anime it just feels like putting jewels on a donkey.

Comment by dootsy
    05:54 06/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Or perhaps, in this case, a goat.

09:23 05/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

SO Hyadain is doing the OP!? Lol fucking want!

17:02 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Azumanga is first thing that came to mind. Episodes like the one with Chiyos father, or few dream ones were most trippy things I saw ever.

Comment by คภєк๏
    21:20 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know, I thought of Pani Poni Dash pretty quickly, and I wasn't the only one.

16:03 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's how the manga was, surrealist.
    Love it or hate it, take it or leave it.

19:01 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the basic formula

07:35 04/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I watched it and got bored. Speaking in Malaysian is now funny? People actually find the jokes funny? Majority of the jokes are pretty lame. =/

Comment by Sandalphon
    09:58 05/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

After watching the first ep, I concur.

I understand why some people might find it funny, but it's not my cup of tea.

Comment by marrun
    14:43 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

selamat pagi

Comment by makkun
    23:53 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Selamat malam.

Oh wait, wrong answer!

Selamat pagi.

Comment by makkun
    23:55 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

kamu dulu

01:01 05/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

SELAMATKAN DIRI ANDA SEBELUM ANDA DISELAMATKAN KEBUMI!

18:51 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

puella magi

22:40 04/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Selamat makan gan

01:25 04/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Now is Selamat malam

15:12 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There are so many better slice of life than K-ON. People have seem to forgot entirely about Lucky Star, which K-ON! ripped a great deal of character ideas off of, as well as other classics like Azumanga Daioh. K-ON! is just an uneventful uninteresting anime dressed up with Cute characters.

Comment by Misakite
    20:10 03/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Azumanga > K-ON.

4-komas were meant to be slapstick and funny, not carried on solely by cuteness.

Granted, there was a few amusing parts in K-ON, but not enough to warrant more than a 'heh'.

Comment by Quack!
    21:54 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I like you.

07:01 06/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And I wantcha.

20:13 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

For some reason I think people just hate K-On just b/c it's popular. Same kind of people who hate on Bleach/Naruto/One Piece or the kind of people who hate on Halo/Mario/CoD just because its mainstream and what not.

23:48 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

hate? what hate? i mean what kind of hate? really? hate for k-on? you must be joking

06:59 06/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck me for going off topic, but I think people hate on CoD because it really is (regardless of what it was in the past) just a repetitive "AAA" money maker tailored for casual gamers.

But I really do hate naruto for no reason, I will never give it the time of day. Same with a lot of other CN/Adult Swim anime.

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    15:16 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I've actually watched only a pair of episodes. When it was really hot and they asked for an A/C, and when they go to that concert festivals. They weren't all that funny. Cute? Yes. Top-notch cuteness. Funny? Pretty average to me.

Comment by zeniselv
    15:20 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

AMEN, brother, amen.

16:41 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

K-ON is a mainstream standard. It's a watered down version of the niche slice of life genre that is aimed towards the masses. I've actually said the exact same thing you are saying in previous K-ON entries but of course, this being the Moe-complex, people ignored the main points of that post and cried foul at me for blaspheming their holy anime.

In any case, K-ON is an all around mediocre show that can be enjoyed in small increments if you stay away from the fanbase. It's just the way the rabid fanbase giving the entire genre a bad name that gets to me.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    19:21 03/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

K-On is K-On. There's nothing indicative about it. I HATE how people compare it to be some kind of a posterchild for something. It isn't. It's great for what it is and if people don't like it, that's fine. When people tries to put in the popularity of something as an indication regarding other works, that's where the argument falls totally apart.

That said, I'm glad Nichijou is getting rave reviews. I'm sick and tired of all the 4-panel haters. If you guys hate stuff like that so much, then do not watch and stop trying to tag in some 'sign of anime Armageddon' message to it. It comes across as snarky and possibly even damaging to anime fandom in general to get so virulent about something like that. It's almost like the excessive shoujo/magical girl hate western anime fans were exhibiting in early 2000's.

Comment by TNinja
    18:46 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Oh I don't care. I see someone ride a goat, I'm all for it.

Comment by Homu Improvement

K-on's best part was the music I thought the first season was good though the second one was slightly watered down.

19:06 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

hell yeah!!
    i'll ride one tommorow

Comment by Karosene
    16:03 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

Oh thank god. I thought I was the only one that didn't give two shits about K-ON.

Comment by Hellmen
    17:15 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I thought I was the only one as well. I still don't get why more established slice of life series like Hidamari Sketch is still underrated despite going for 3 seasons and 3 TV specials.

Comment by Minru
    17:32 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

amen!

I liked k-on and lucky star and allot of others, but hidimari sketch was my altime favorite school/slice of life anime.

prolly because i'm a saw ...

your avatar make a prefect irony

sucks to be you. everything must be some kind of ripoff from the classic ones with that PoV. perhaps you should live in past where television just had been invented.

Well Lucky Star is Lucky Star and K-on is K-on but if i were to choose between the two, then it's of course Lucky Star!

Comment by PhillB
    16:41 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I would understand under other circumstances your dislike for this kind of anime, but at least K-ON! was funny in many ways. There are other animes even more biased worldwide which I shall not name.

Of course, if you bring Azumanga Daioh into discussion you're trolling because of its stance in slice-of-life anime genre, and because we ALL know K-ON! was a mass anime, not precisely a quality anime.

Also, underlining the fact that both are KyoAnis, undermines your argument.

there's none.

Comment by คภєк๏
    15:36 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

It's not the standard. Why would you think so?

Comment by LDC
    15:40 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Not sexy enough. I don't think I'll watch it.

eh i didn't know k-on is moe-gag manga -__-

yeah people are too stupid to distinct between manga genres

you can see many examples here

"I hate how K-ON has become the standard for moe-gag/slice of life animes. It wasnt even funny and the only reason everyone obsessed over it is because the characters defined a new level of stupidly-moe. It was never truely even funny, and a lot of people just like it because its overhyped."

Well man.. That's like.. Your opinion!

It may not be gut busting humor but it is entertaining and surprisingly relaxing show.

Also I think you have a problem when you try and compare K-ON! to Lucky Star since there's THIS and there's THAT. I'd take that you'd rant if K-ON was a complete copy of LS.

15:56 03/04/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

You do realize Lucky Star ripped off a large portion of an anime called Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Btw NONE of the Haruhi references were part of the original manga of Lucky Star.

The K-on! girls in my perspective had better chemistry with one another instead of Lucky Star's Konata and Kagami which out shined the two lesser known girls.

Based on your comment if you dislike K-on! that much you should just move on and let people enjoy what they like and you can enjoy what you like.

17:01 03/04/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

what? lucky star ripped off haruhi ?

how can it tip off something that is not even on the same genre?

ripping off is stealing concepts or ideas (or jokes, in a comedy) , claiming they're yours and NOT mentionning the name of the ripped off one...

Lucky star made has reference to many anime, of course there is haruhi, but paniponi dash is heavily mentionned too, not as a ripoff as konata talks ABOUT it

one could say that the ond of ore no imouto rips off genshinken,

but lucky star ripping off haruhi ?! just use the right words please

07:51 05/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope you do realize that haruhi and Lucky Star where from the same studio.. and that konata and haruhi share the voiceactress..

Comment by dootsy
    16:32 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with this comment but both Lucky Star and K-On are subpar slice of life anime. It doesn't get any better than Aria.

17:57 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That's as ridiculous as comparing Legend of the Galactic Heroes to Code Geass- oh wait, that happens all the time.

I love Aria but I wouldn't call Lucky Star and K-On! subpar either.

hey hey we got an idiot here

19:15 03/04/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

To the "K-On!" hater,

Says the man who doesn't 'Get it' - I doubt "K-On!" would be as huge as it is and sell as much as it has if it was over-hyped. No one goes to a concert featuring the seiyuus singing as their characters cause they're over-hyped.

"Azumanga" & "Lucky Star" have their place in the Anime universe but I would think "Seitokai Yakuindomo" is a better example of 'sketch humor'. There's a way to pump up and rally for your own tastes & style without attacking what is a proven success.

It's like calling "Haruhi" the future of MOE but denying "K-On!" didn't evolve out of it. I don't like "Lucky Star" but I liked "Azumanga"...why? Art Style. This looks like a cheap-ass version of "Pani Poni Dash" which I LOVED and it has Nothing to do with "K-On!" Why not let this show define itself without trying to attack already PROVEN successes!

Comment by Shippoyasha
    19:28 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

K-On thrives on cuteness and silliness more than outright humor and surrealistic humor like Azumanga.

If we're going to compare these kinds of 4koma/panel anime, you really can't. Because they all aim for different feel. And no single answer is 'correct'. It's just different.

Just try to think about that.