University Bans Cosplay

kyodai-cosplay-graduation-1.jpg

Kyoto University’s decision to ban its long-standing tradition of graduation ceremony cosplay has been the subject of some concern amongst disappointed students and the wider Internet.

Kyoto University’s impending graduation ceremonies, due on the 24th, traditionally and quite famously involved plenty of gaudy cosplay, but the university has just banned the practice.

kyodai-cosplay-graduation-2.jpg
kyodai-cosplay-graduation-3.jpg
kyodai-cosplay-graduation-4.jpg
kyodai-cosplay-graduation-5.jpg

In light of the recent quake (none of the effects of which have been felt in Japan’s western half), the university warned graduating students that “you must refrain completely from any inappropriate costume or related activities, and celebrate your graduation in a solemn and dignified manner.”

Students who disobey the missive are in danger of being thrown out – “entry may be refused to the inappropriately dressed.”

As a long-standing and popular tradition peculiar to Kyoto University, there has been some disappointment and discontent about the cancellation expressed online amongst students and others:

“Our university tradition…”

“What’s the worth of the ceremony without cosplay!?”

“I find the fact they’d even send a mail like this pretty weird.”

The wider Internet (and lately a number of companies) is becoming increasingly concerned with the latest boom in “self-restraint” cancellations, not least when they affect regions hitherto unscathed by the quake and have negligible to non-existent benefits for those actually suffering:

“The people hit by the quake are unlikely to care whether they graduate normally or cosplay or whatever else.”

“If they don’t cosplay, will it help the quake victims?”

“It has nothing to do with any of that – let ’em do it!”

“This is a really bad trend…”

“Why are they cosplaying in their graduation ceremony? Are they idiots?”

“They only get to graduate once in their life so it’s quite sad really.”

“At least give them that… it’s an important memory and has nothing to do with the quake.”

“This year Hanami is also cancelled.”

“This spirit of cancelling everything in ‘self-restraint’ over the whole nation is really pointless. In fact it’ll only backfire… if you keep robbing people of their pleasures nobody will be able to recover.”

“How about forcing them all to wear Japanese clothes?”

01:29 20/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

i consider graduations a fucking stupid ceremony to give you a damn piece of paper, its a useless loss of time, even more if you really dont care about it, imo just give me my damn paper and lets get over it. if the wanna cosplay, go naked or w.e at least its the only fun you'd get in that shitty procedure calle graduation

09:35 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

08:08 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Have you ever graduated from anything? If yes, did you have any friends at the time? I don't think I've met anyone who thought graduation was pointless...

Comment by WPE
    09:28 20/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Hmm yes allow me to wait three hours doing absolutely nothing when I could instead just grab my piece of shit degree in a matter of seconds.

Comment by Wallace Hunter
    10:49 20/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I have, many times. It's a fucking stupid ceremony to give you a damn piece of paper.

05:55 23/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh ho ho, look who's talking. I actually graduated a GOOD university and got a good job and i also attended the ceremony but i would never disgrace myself or my university with such an outfit. I did party AFTER the ceremony though.
    You mister actually look like some frustrated teenager or someone who never had ANYTHING to do with a GOOD university or you would be more relaxed, just as i am now XD

Comment by RakkaKaze
    16:25 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I didn't work hard to graduate to sit for hours listening to some smartass valedictorian say a speech in three languages and then wait as people are slowly called on by one to walk in a damn circle and shake a hand... I did it to be better paid and hopefully better skilled.

What would make this droll merry-go-round a bit more entertaining for all? Call a name and have Lelouch ala Zero stand up and take the stage followed by the thought, holy crap that's them? Not only would it make people who had not as much to do with each other at least remember names a bit better, you'd have a whole slew of people doing this.

12:07 20/03/2011 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

Damn, I think you stupid guys even hadn't got the chance to finish a degree. Graduating is one of the most important highlight of life especially for Japanese, for they value education and honor almost over everything. It's all the hard work -attending all those classes and cramming up to finish a term paper- getting paid off. If you are just someone who just envious of us who are privileged to study in a good university, then think again. Its not our fault why you shitty bastards got a low IQ or completely dependent on your parents like babies,but its your fault in the first place because you are born to be stupid.

Ceremony is waste of time? No. Sitting on front of the computer and trolling in this site is surely the real waste of time.

08:54 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Personally, I found high school graduation pointless for me. I could have picked up an extra shift at work and made some money, and it was a small class anyway, so I saw no point.

Until my teacher told me off for wanting to skip it. ``It`s not for you, dumbass, it`s for your parents to see you finish something. For most of the kids up there, this is it for them, so at least their parents can see them accomplish *something* with their lives.``

So I went.

09:15 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

In my case even this does not apply.
    My parents went to high school graduation.
    But bachelors and master graduation?
    Fuck that. It's just some sitting around and waiting for you name to be called.

I can go celebrate with my friends later on.
    I guess they will come when I finish my PHD.

Comment by MasterX25
    09:18 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol. I wagged my High School graduation and went the net cafe with my friends. Only to realize I got a award. Well it wasn't important(1st in physic) because it didn't mean anything and the teachers didn't care too much either. I think they knew there were lots of wagers.

Anyway, it was a 5-6 hour long ceremoney, 4 previous years I was there(all student must attend senior student graduation ceremony), felt like my ass loss blood flow and went numb.

12:39 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

yo anon 8:08, having friends doesnt mean shit. Do you and your bros sit around in your garage for a few hours waiting to get up the nerve to profess love for eachother?

Ceremonies are for people who put too much into the system. Get your fucking heads out of the matrix and take a look around. Your accomplishments are all the fucking things you did to earn that paper, not the ceremony. Who gives a shit about celebrating with people. PEOPLE didn't finish school, I DID.

I skipped my high school ceremony and when I graduate university next year I'm going to abstain too. I don't go to school to pump myself up in front of a bunch of prick ass kids and their proud parents who paid for them so they don't put them in a home. Top it off with the assholes who use my tuition to live like kings. I never see them, but now Im honoured to accept a paper from them.

They should bow to us since we are the ones who support there lifestyles. Not to mention ceremonies always involve the kids who kissed as much ass a possible being the features. And guess what, the kids who never fit in sit like mooks and pretend like they matter, and no one gives a shit about them.

graduation ceremonies are the topping off to years spent slaving to the system and feeding the system. Staunchly defending them means you support herding and egotistical attention seeking gratification as opposed to hardwork, sacrifice and humility.

TL:DR version: graduating in silence is what real men do
    Boom, Winning

00:33 20/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

NO FUN ALLOWED!

Comment by TNinja
    01:44 20/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I hate this thing humans calls "dignity" or "manners". Why? Well, I wouldn't hate them if they didn't overdemands it.

I want to be dignified when I want to, not because someone tries to force it on me.

Comment by Rya
    04:44 20/03/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

You're an egoist who doesn't know discipline. It's a once-in-a-lifetime moment so I don't know about the "overdemand" part...

Comment by yaku
    05:15 20/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

So let's get this straight: What if I was a Japanese student from Kyoto Uni. who at the time of the earthquake was in one of the affected areas. Life is a piece of sour-shit nowadays and the one thing I'm looking forward to is to graduate and have fun with my friends cosplaying during the ceremony but they're gonna take that away from me too?

You're an idiot. Graduating from university IS a once-in-a-lifetime moment.

05:09 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Silence! D:
    Since it happens once in a lifetime of course you'd want to do it in a way you will remember the most!

Comment by Hayate
    05:35 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the area might not be affected but most of the student there might suffer some loss from the quake.

so what makes them think adding restriction on one of the student's most awaited day would make them feel delighted?

Comment by Rick
    04:58 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a once-in-a-lifetime moment for the PERSON GRADUATING! The schools have these ALL THE TIME and the parents can just have another baby, F them too.

Comment by SpideyPHL
    03:52 20/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Not that any of us have ever had a graduation like this, but it sucks that they're cancelling their unique tradition in a misaimed attempt to be respectful. Yes, the disaster was horrible, but completely cutting off fun isn't helping those that need it in the least, and makes life worse for those who weren't affected.

Then again, I'm generally of the opinion that people take life far too seriously, so maybe I'm an outlier with my views.

Comment by Seele
    03:07 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Man that sucks no cosplay means a boring old ceremony full of "don't do this" and "don't do that"...

Wait...are you serious...? I CAN'T BEING A KOTATSU AND NABE WITH ME TO THE F@$#ING CEREMONY?!!!

*RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    01:23 20/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

These people have spent years and a crap-ton of money at your university trying to get degrees and such, and the one time where they can goof off, have some fun, and enjoy their last few moments of fun with their class mates, and you want to ban it from them!?

Fuck you Kyoto University.

Comment by Cestralisk
    19:27 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I’m a bit more concerned with some companies (Nintendo as an example, their HQ ironically situated in Kyoto as well) expecting employees to attend drinking parties. What joy is there in drinking when you are “forced” to do it on your “free” time? Doctors also seem to be rather eager in prescribing stimulants to anyone having issues keeping up and, if you’re American, the typical diagnosis they might (maybe more than might?) give you is “you’re fat”. The source I’m using includes but is not limited to someone I know that works for Nintendo. I forgot where the other sources come from…I wonder if I had other sources…yes, I think I did, let's say I did.

Comment by Yourtime
    00:06 20/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

“What’s the worth of the ceremony without cosplay!?” lol True, what is the worth behind it?

Comment by AzureXuchilbara
    00:54 20/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

You know, I am really getting sick of this 'restraint' sh*t...

I know the earthquake and tsunami is depressing and all, but it's no reason to cut back on anime, cosplaying, or any other normal and everyday activity...

Bloody hell, it's a natural disaster, but it's no use groveling and acting emo and depressed...

Now they ban a cosplaying tradition...

Ugh, way to put everyone down in this time of grief when they should be keeping everyone happy and smiling...

*shakes helmet*

I don't get it...It's a time of sadness, and yet the moronic higher-ups are banning and restraining things just for the sake of the disaster's mood...

No matter what kinda sh*t happens to you and the people you love/your country, bans and restraints won't fix it, because it will only make everyone more bloody miserable...

Life goes on, regardless of a natural disaster...Remember that...

You fools have no right to restrain or ban an everyday activity, let alone a tradition even in these sad times...

The people lives (and hobbies) must continue even after this national tragedy...

*sighs deeply*

Whatever...I'm done ranting pointlessly...

I'm gonna go masturbate to some Puella Magica Madoka futanari pictures...

Comment by FreeHopper
    14:08 21/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I was with you until the futanari bit...

09:18 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember back in 2004, my aunt was complaining that they were showing this tsunami shit all day on the news.
    It's Christmas, a time to be happy with family etc.
    I completely agree with her.

I mean it sucks to be them, but I don't expect the whole world to stand still when there is a tragedy in my family.

03:56 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Doesn't make no sense, Japan has dealt with earthquakes before and no matter how many times they've had it, it's no reason to do anything unnecessary.
    Besides Japan has always been on top of every stressing fault that gives way to earthquakes when it happens, it should be no surprise, only surprising about earthquakes is how big they are and how much damage did it do to the country. This is the worst one yet, and people have died from this disaster.

The fact that they are banning cosplay due to this, should have no bearing at all. But these guys are just putting this down since they are the higher-ups in the university

05:21 20/03/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

Didn't they ban your bitch ass for a reason? GTFO our forums asshole.

08:05 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

...who are you referring to? I kinda remember not doing anything the past 2 hours.

15:24 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

ANon 5:21:- Haters gonna hate ? stfu bitch ass

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    13:15 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe hes refuring to AzureXuchilbara

Comment by Hatsune Miku
    00:37 20/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Why don't everyone just go all naked instead?

09:59 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Naked and beheaded, like the beheading graduation ceremony.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    00:50 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean "Birthday Suits"

01:12 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But they there'll be disco sticks everywhere.

Comment by Pyrolight
    02:45 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually they could all go disco style and still not technically be cosplaying.

Comment by 13k

Ugh. Maybe it's a result of me getting older. But why the heck did Kyoto Uni allow this 'tradition' to go on as long as it did? Call me prude, but some things need to be observed in a proper manner, going to your university graduation ceremony in cosplay is just..

01:21 20/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

AWESOME

right dude

02:13 20/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

The "proper manner" is a long, drawn out waste of time, IMO. If my uni allowed cosplay at my graduation, I might have actually shown up. As it was, I had better things to do. The irony came when I went to pick up my certificate at the registrar's office afterward; seeing several boxes filled with certificates for others who couldn't be bothered with the ceremony either.

05:04 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm on the process of finishing my thesis and plan to graduate for the summer, but there is no way I'm attending boring useless ceremonies. They can sen the diploma by mail for all I care.

02:48 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

my college loves to spend an hour and a half promoting the people who are criminals or druggies and pushing how they cleaned up and graduated college.

I sure as fuck would not want this pointed out.

or the ceremony practice.

Who does this serve other than old people who demand obedience and control?

Comment by Rick
    02:04 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The hell is the "proper manner?"
    Graduation is 2 hours of you sitting there hearing people talk about crap no one pays attention to. If more graduations were like this i STILL will be getting degrees at school just to go to a fun graduation like this.

Comment by Martijn
    07:46 21/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So the Americans donning robes and hats when graduating (don't some schools do this from a young age on?) is totally normal?

01:49 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish my University had this tradition. :(

02:11 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree, people should stay at home sick at the graduation ceremony and have the uni or which ever mail them the diploma. That is the proper manner of doing it. Ow but you do go to the after party cause that is just good manners ofcoarse.

01:26 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

so they cant have one more memory before they are stuck in the japan corp world which is by far one of the most demanding and least helpful to young professionals. i mean really its like the duct tape high school suits and things of that nature. it doesnt hurt anything, this is all prob part of the psyco tokyo gov's fault

Comment by Holy One
    03:49 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

University is serious business~

12:20 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Which is why it IS.

06:36 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

since when uni is not serious business?

04:15 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Please. Ceremonies like this are just pomp and circumstance (pun intended).

02:50 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

lol watever. ur university is just sucks as hell!

Comment by Pyrolight
    02:44 20/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a University graduation. It is for the students so let them have their fun.