Aki Toyosaki Sweeps 5th Annual Seiyuu Awards

seiyuu-awards

Seiyuu Aki Toyosaki’s popularity seems to have reached its peak – not only is she the top seiyuu wife, now she has swept the 5th Seiyuu Awards, garnering two awards and the top spot.

The main awards (not awarded for specific performances):

Starring Male Seiyuu: None

Starring Female Seiyuu: Aki Toyosaki (Yui)

Supporting Male Seiyuu: Nobuhiko Okamoto (Accelerator), Kazuya Nakai (Roronoa Zoro)

Supporting Female Seiyuu: Satomi Arai (Kuroko), Kanae Ito (Saten)

New Male Seiyuu: Kouki Uchiyama (Ichika Orimura)

New Female Seiyuu: Hisako Kanemoto (Ika Musume), Satomi Sato (Ritsu)

Singing: Minori Chihara (Nagato)

Personality: Aki Toyosaki

Overseas Fan Award: Miyuki Sawashiro (Saeko)

The event’s decision not to even bother presenting the male award to anyone has not passed without comment…

Comment by SunnyJ
    07:27 06/03/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Do you think this was based off their seiyuu abilities or their moe blob characters?

07:35 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Prolly based on whichever seiyuu's company has the most power in awards.

Sorry guys, you'll never see Hanazawa Kana winning anything because she's from Office Osawa. Likewise, Nakamura Yuuichi won't win anything because he's from Sigma 7.

Despite Nana being signed with Sigma 7, she only won that singing award a year or so ago because of how much of a breakthrough it was.

12:08 06/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Then, whatever this award is, it's there just for the sake of making an award ceremony to please only a part of the demographic.

As much as I respect Aki Toyosaki for having a wide range, the fact that she's been abused mainly for doing voices for characters who sound like retarded gradeschool children means she didn't really contribute much to the industry. That shouldn't have warranted her to get any award other than Best Retard Impersonator of The Year....

10:27 06/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

and that's why mamiko noto (also osawa office) and marina inoue (sigma 7) won't ever get an award as well despite their efforts.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    13:30 06/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

But people love them and follow their works.

Those awards smell like corporate affairs behind the curtains. I'd like to see a fan organized award. An online award, please... Some fans are too weird to place anywhere near seiyuu in general.

Comment by Holy One
    16:18 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I love those two. I tend to watch the anime if I find their names on it.

11:03 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Bloody stupid thing is rigged.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    13:27 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I've got a question since I'm on the ignorant part of the spectrum.

What about seiyuu like Kanako Kondou and Asami Imai? I searched about their roles in anime after noticing them in the BlazBlue games and found they have a rather small list of works. Maybe it was the sites I searched, but it seems to me a good quantity of the high profile roles are concentrated in a few people.

05:08 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't underestimate female seiyuu fans. Ever.

iirc Hetalia songs were in or near the top 10 oricon anime charts for the year.

Comment by SunnyJ
    11:28 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree, rigged not so much based on skill but on who they worked for and the anime they were part of...

Granted Tomokazu Sugita (Kyon) is part of a well known anime, his talent is much better than most of those on this list. Not to mention it's harder for male seiyuu to become well known since they don't have moe-blob anime characters to gain their popularity for them...

11:39 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And Aki Toyosaki =.= There are like tons of female seiyuus that are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than her. Not that I have anything against her though. Just feeling bad for those who are apparently better than her and get nothing despite working so hard.

Comment by jamesownsall
    13:51 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Fuck this makeshift award. They're just indicators of the Fetish of the Week. Last time it was tsundere. This time around it's for retards.

All of us can judge for ourselves, who's worst and best. In the end, how long they voiceact and how often they take central characters' roles determine their staying power in the industry. This little fan masturbation aid of an award does jackshit.

Comment by Holy One
    16:20 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Moeblob of course; what else? Lol.

I've always hated her voice. It's not ladylike like Inoue Kikuko, but plain moronic.

I bet she got that only because of K-ON.

16:38 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Aoi Kunieda says hi.

19:00 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i'd agree that toyosaki aki's voice for kunieda aoi really surprised me. i couldn't recognize its her coz i'm used to her hirasawa yui's type of voice.

Comment by jamesownsall
    00:06 07/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You know what? The Yui style of talking that Toyosaki has adopted into her daily speech(at least in front of the camera) is not how she usually talks just until a few years ago.

I saw a Youtube video of Toyosaki hosting a TV show, probably when she was a teenager, talking just like every other sane woman out there. It's making me believe that her retarded way of speaking now was part of her agency's typecasting efforts to fit her into common otaku tastes.

04:28 07/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

her voice is naturally high pitch. she had to make her voice sound normal when she did talk shows during her earlier years. being a seiyuu allowed her to showcase her more comfortable/natural voice. she not the only one checkout chiyo-chan's VA Kaneda Tomoko.

Comment by jamesownsall
    00:34 07/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Skip to 01:06. Now, go look for all her recent videos. Toyosaki herself seems shocked by the change of voice, but I find it difficult to believe her.

Really a shame, since she really has the talent to do all kinds of voice. I hope she herself is sick of pretending to be a retard.

16:06 07/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I would say the character.

07:25 06/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.9)

The male seiyuu award should just be given to Sugita Tomokazu by default for being so awesome as Gintoki. Every year. Forever.

08:18 06/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

And Kyon. Ah, to hell with characters, the guy's voice is just awesome no matter what.

As for female seiyuu, this needs more Hanazawa Kana...

10:52 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Sugita is one of the few better male voice actors out there, but it really impressed me when he expressed his passion for the business back at the Shuffle! live event.

11:07 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I would consider him awesome if he could manage to change the doujin market for Gintama. It's so rampant with fujoshi that just seeing the number of releases is horrifying. On another note, HIMO HIMO HIMO~ HIIIIMO HIMOOO~

Comment by toyNN
    11:03 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Aki is fine but I don't get why Yoko Hikasa doesn't get more love. Besides Mio, she also had the lead in Occult Academy this past summer. That and really being the lead vocals for all the K-ON!/Ho-Kago Tea Time OP/EDs.

And the no male seiyuu is just odd or does that mean there just weren't any "lead" male roles in any 2010 anime? Seems hard to believe.

05:14 27/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Toyosaki Aki is part of Music Ray'n and I think they have ties with Sony. Also, Sphere.

Hikasa Yoko is part of I'm Enterprise. And they look like they're pushing Taketatsu Ayana a lot onto the scene. Unless Hikasa Yoko does a lot of not anime roles? I haven't been keeping up with seiyuu lately because of how appearance focused it's becoming....

Comment by Sandalphon
    05:30 07/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree wholeheartedly. Just to add that her role as Hattori Junko in Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou was quite good as well.

Hikasa Yoko seems to have a wider range of characters in her career than Toyosaki Aki atm, and she interprets them all so well it's disheartening not to see her get more recognition.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    11:46 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@Anon 08:18

...or Yoko Hikasa.

Comment by Pseudonymous
    07:36 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Forever, forever, ever, forever, ever?

Comment by yaku
    09:30 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I get wet every time I hear his voice.

If I could thumb you up a thousand times I'd do it.

Comment by Eddyak
    07:34 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Also, by default, at least half of it should be given to Nakata Jouji, for being so GAR.

07:53 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I support this.

Vehemently so.

13:52 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh, if it's to be given to one person for being awesome, shouldn't Jouji Nakata be the shoe in then? ;)

07:28 06/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

there are no males in leading roles...that's why they couldn't give the award.
    The category just doesnt exist in recent anime...

Comment by TehBoringOne
    13:34 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Ummmm...

Yuuichi Nakamura in Macross Frontier?

Then what about movies like Break Blade?
    They could've picked that guy then.

Also there's Ichika Onimura from Infinite Stratos.
    Yuichi Sendo from Cardfight!! Vanguard.
    Toma Kamijo from To Aru Majutsu no Index.
    Naruto Uzimaki from Naruto Shippuden.
    Oga Tatsumi from Beelzebub.

And I could go on for a bit there.

07:25 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Cheers for Kanae Ito!

Comment by motaku96
    13:12 06/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Hellz yeah Kuroko! I love her voice.

Comment by baboynokma
    14:36 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah i guess almost no one would disagree that she totally deserves it. I mean the way she says "onee-sama" is too damn sexy....

07:28 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

rigged shit is rigged.

Comment by Eddyak
    07:34 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

She's not even that great a seiyuu, it's just cos of all the K-ON fags.

16:04 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Im getting mighty tired of all this K-On craze...Seriously, she only won because she voices Yui...and thats it.

Many other voice actors are way better than her and deserve that award so much more.

12:17 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What about Hiro Shimono? For voicing Keima and Yoshii?

22:03 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Keima: Respect to the God of Galges.

Comment by entropy13
    12:18 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't tell me you forgot Haru??? LOL

12:27 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Oh him... What about Haru? I was busy watching the girls.

Comment by Gitami
    11:58 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There's a certain hypnoticness to Satomi Arai's Kuroko voice. It is like rape for the ears - painful the first time but after the tenth time you can't live without it.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    14:42 08/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

She can say hello to me anyway she pleases.

Comment by BrightSide
    07:28 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

With Hirasawa Yui, Momo Deviluke, and her upcoming role in Hanasaku Iroha,

Aki Toyosaki is my goddess!!! <3 <3 <3

Comment by Supuu
    07:56 06/03/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

...and she has a nice personality! <3

kono yaro! kono yaro!

08:27 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yay Ika Musume seiyuu!

Comment by AzureXuchilbara
    09:49 06/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"Starring Male Seiyuu: None"

I guess the starring male seiyuu category is dead this year since it's MOE~ dominated...

Not that that's a bad thing~

@Anonymous 08:27 06/03/2011

I'm looking forward to hearing more from Hisako Kanemoto in the Second Season of Shinryaku! Ika Musume...