Japanese women asked which scenes from sappy romantic manga they would most like to experience themselves in real life yield up a list likely of interest to budding Casanovas and mawkish manga fans alike.
The ranking – rather clearly emphasising shoujo-manga-esque male advances towards females:
1. He hugs you from behind and says “I love you”
2. “Come with me today,” he propositions you a little forcefully
3. “You did well, didn’t you?” he says as he strokes your head
4. He reveals the person he was always seeking romantic advice for was actually himself
5. He kisses you as you turn your head
6. “What’s wrong?” he says as he peers at your face with some concern
7. He gets into a fight over you
8. He suddenly holds you by your chin and kisses you
9. When he sees you off, he suddenly pulls you onto the train with him as the train departs
10. “Don’t cry” he says as he wipes away your tears
Whilst there does not appear to be too much agreement about the lower ranked entries, 100% of respondents apparently found the from behind hugging and confession an appealing prospect, suggesting it may have some distinct practical applications.