Teacher “Regrets” Forcing Children to Eat Like Dogs

akechi-kokoro-feeding-time-by-harmaline.jpg

A teacher who punished children slow in eating their meals at feeding time by taking their plates away and dumping their food on the table, forcing them to eat what remained, has been forced to say he is sorry.

The incident occurred at a small-town Shimane prefecture elementary school.

There, a 58-year-old teacher was found to have been taking the tableware of children away when they did not finish their meals on time, and then forcing them to eat what remained of their meal directly off the cloth place-mat on the table.

If the children were slow in eating their soup, the teacher would force them to drink the liquid, then take their bowl and dump the remaining solids on their mat, which they would then be forced to eat.

Starting in October, he is said to have done this more than 10 times to 7 children in his class of 25. They were told it was because “it is time to return your tableware.”

When parents got wind of the practice recently, they complained. Teacher and principal together apologised to the children, and then to a meeting of parents. No disciplinary action was taken.

The teacher responsible explained himself thus:

“The children must return their tableware at the end of lunchtime, and I wanted to have them eat everything on their plate. I regret taking such easy disciplinary action without taking into account the feelings of the children.”

Comment by kazaza2
    07:23 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

He was merely teaching them the survival skills Miyazaki said they should learn. Eating without utensils! :)

Comment by Kudie Pie
    Comment by Darkrockslizer
    03:37 13/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

more importantly, source of the pic?

17:46 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Mad Survival Who Will Eat Last Must Eat from The MAT
    Woo ho
    "I can see this becoming a Japanese Game Show"

18:35 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

imagine a class of 30 unruly kindergartners eating so slowly that they only finish half of their meal in the allotted time. imagine that they are playing for 90% of their lunch time, and aren't focusing on eating their meals. how would you get them to eat faster? spoon feed each one? guy is just streamlining the learning experience.

17:45 13/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Increase the allotted time, of course.
    Actually, longer eating time means better digestion, and an increase of food usage efficiency.

And why do you think children should "focus" on their meals? dinner is time for rest and conversation, not hard labor.

14:05 14/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It's simple. No play time until they finish eating. No play while eating.

OR....

If they combine the two, no more free time and no more time to eat. If they don't finish, they starve. Everyone wins!!!

10:33 13/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

hence why we should go back to being primapes........

17:27 14/11/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

Go back to primeapes? Quit mankeying around, man!

Comment by Holy One
    17:01 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

JAPANESE LUNCH TIME

SERIOUS fucking business!

Comment by Unlimitedbladeworks
    06:28 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Apparently in Japan, a teacher is the most secure job ever. You can do anything you want to innocent children and get away scott free.

Comment by Dark Mage
    13:24 12/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

I wonder if they're also allowed to run red lights and stop signs?

11:17 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Unless the students are over 18 and they want to have a stable long term relationship with you...

08:37 14/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you, her and her knife. have fun.

Comment by MasterJ633
    06:12 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Seriously, WTF is wrong with Teachers (Besides everything)?

06:35 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

i'd say, what's wrong with the children's parents. after you hear that, you just complain?...
    i'd woop that teacher's ass.

08:51 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

i suppose the problem there is unlike the US or any other legal action happy (and favorable) nation, there's about as little recourse for parents as there is for the children.

Japan's not as hospitable to law suits as the US is.
    it's not even that hospitable for corporate industry to have any sort of legal action committees (see publishing industry versus Ishihara).

without that, who are they suppose to turn to?

school admins there aren't like in the US where they'll turn on their teachers in favor of appeasing parental outcry.
    school administrations will blindly support the teachers; all the way until the teacher does something blatantly illegal, and even then they're about as bad as the Catholic Church ("the solution to pedophiles is to give them a fresh batch of kids!").

going higher up, the politicians are all a bunch of old bastards who're probably friends with the old bastards who run the schools (how do you think they all got their positions?), so they're not going to support parents over the school admins; who in turn aren't going to support parents over the teachers.

the only real force against the political institution that has risen in the last few years is some people have had success bringing their stories to the attention of the media, who always love a good media circus.

but even that's hard as most of the media outlets are in the pocket of the local prefecture governments.

so it pretty much has to be something so heinous they CAN'T ignore, such as a bullied girl committing suicide combined with allegations of her school's administrators criminally destroying evidence.

Comment by Dark Mage
    12:45 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Pay the Yakuza off to do something to them.
    This incident maybe a broken leg would suffice.

Comment by DmonHiro
    06:53 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Wrong with the teachers? A lot. What's wrong with the parents? I would have busted his ass, or at least done everything in my power to get the teacher fired and humiliated. It must be hard for Japanese parents to stand up straight, WITH NO BACKBONE.

Comment by Dark Mage
    13:16 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I remember when I was in seventh grade my parents got pissed at one of my teachers for verbally abusing students and confronted the guy personally.

I think my dad scared the shit out of him as he did not verbally abuse anyone after that.

None of you would have done anything about anything.None of yu

Comment by Kudie Pie
    06:32 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It can't be helped.

07:14 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

lol your avatar perfectly suits what you just said

Comment by Kudie Pie
    07:19 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

That can't be helped either.

Comment by Hatsune Miku
    08:13 12/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

They should just form a group and just woop those teacher's asses.

Comment by velto
    07:47 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

yes! i mean, why make them eat directly from the mat??? i would put the food on the floor and put sum collars on 'em. and make them call me Goshujin-sama

Comment by kamiru
    08:10 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i would make them bark instead. woof woof.

Comment by Travis
    08:07 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I recall a teacher doing something similar to me in elementary school. I hate peas, and she told me if I didn't eat my peas she'd put them in a bowl and sit me in a corner of the classroom and not let me go home until I finished them. I recall either ignoring her and walking out anyway or crying to the principal, most likely the latter honestly. Looking back its pretty messed up, but funny because it was just me I guess.

Comment by Gogetters
    10:17 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

What is latter?

Comment by Kudie Pie
    10:29 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The second of two things that have been mentioned. In this case, it means he probably cried to the principal.

Comment by T.O.M. Morrow
    06:15 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Wait...children have feelings? *mind blown*

Comment by Megidola
    07:54 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I think you might be getting them confused with dolls. Children are also small and have a human appearance, but they are fleshier and more mobile.

After some practice, you'll find telling the two apart should become quite simple.

Comment by Kudie Pie
    07:57 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It isn't as easy as you think to tell children and dolls apart! Which one is Hinaichigo?

Comment by Megidola
    08:10 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

That's a question only suitable for those who have already mastered the basics of distinguishing between children and dolls.

For a beginner, it would just be confusing.

Comment by Lannando
    07:41 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

They don´t, since they make oter childrens life horrible.

wasn´t news here of a girl that comit suicide?

Comment by Kudie Pie
    07:58 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think there have been a few stories like that.

06:26 12/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.9)

If I were Japanese most certainly I wold be a teacher, is the best job in there, you can slouch at work, act like a maniac and fuck you preteen students without nothing happing to you

08:21 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

unless they're over 18 then you get fired.

Comment by BlaqCat
    07:16 12/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Well, you already know that because of their fucked up laws they -can't- really fire you. Might as well just do whatever you feel like.

Comment by shiroki
    10:33 12/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

And ironically, every other job in Japan sucks. Unpaid overtime being extremely common, leave from work being unacceptable even if you get run over by a car and all.

10:49 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

There! Now you can fuck every preteen and lolita legally!

Comment by POKI
    08:18 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

even a douchebag wouldn't do that to kids... who exactly are hiring these teachers.

that's gutter trash quality...

Comment by alidan
    08:51 12/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

you ever deal with a kid who wont eat there fucking food?

my little brother barely eats. he will purpasly throw up if you force him, and until he is full, he complains about not having food.

im not saying that i condone what this teacher did, im saying that i understand.

Comment by renstalon
    20:44 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

As an American, yes, I think this was abusive. Am I glad that parents were responsive to this? Yes. Would I do this to my students? No.

But I've seen a lot in Japan that I thought was going overboard, and parents thought it was just normal discipline.

Anyone will see a culture through tinted glasses, meaning you will be influenced by the culture you grew up in and be slightly biased no matter how well-versed you think yourself to be.

Take a look at the "Tiger-moms" of China made so popular these days for an example of cultural differences. It may change your mind on parenting, or it may disgust you. It's still a window into a different culture: and these experiences make you a more understanding person.

Comment by alidan
    16:02 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

POKI
    10:40

say hello to my little brother.

he will eat metal, he will eat paper, wood, and half a fucking chair, but refuses to eat real food, and will force himself to throw up wen we make him eat.

renstalon
    10:24

embarrassed the kid, good way to self motivate. for my little brother, i would pull the hair in the back of his head, so he opens his fucking mouth, than smash face into food. but this is after years of dealing with his shit.

Gogetters
    10:05

my little brother will ruin 100's of $ worth of furniture if you don't fore the fucker to eat. actually ruining a 1000$ sofa at one point.

Comment by Gogetters
    10:05 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If they don't eat then they can starve until it's time to eat again!

Kids will eat when they get hungry enough...

That teachers behavior was unacceptable!

Comment by renstalon
    10:24 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I deal with stubborn children almost everyday in school. I will agree that a child will go to great lengths to not eat something and it can be a teeth-grinding experience.

However, I do feel that this was going overboard. Discipline is required, especially in the Japanese school system, but this seems closer to abuse.

It is important to realize that Japanese teachers are much more responsible for a student's moral and etiquette education than one in say, the United States.

Hard to judge this fairly as a non-Japanese person.

Comment by POKI
    10:40 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"you ever deal with a kid who wont eat there fucking food?"

people (even kids) usually eat when they're hungry... i have yet to meet a person who was starving and refused to eat.

12:25 12/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The teacher made them eat like dogs in front of their peers. "Hard to judge this fairly as a non-Japanese person." What?

Comment by H.exe
    07:11 12/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

fapfapfapfa *read news* oh... .-.

Comment by Kudie Pie
    08:14 12/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

fapfapfapfa *read news* FAPFAPFAPFAP!

13:13 12/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

fapfapfapfa *read news* facepalm

00:56 13/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I wouldn't facepalm after fapping if I were you...

21:23 14/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Depends on the hand.

Don't tell me you use both?

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    13:56 15/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't facepalm since my other hand is busy holding my top hat. Because I'm just classy...

11:07 15/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Remember kids, do it safe:
    read news -> facepalm -> fap