Marriage: “Ugly Rich Man or Hot Poor Man?”

my-goth-loli-bride-cant-be-this-cute-by-yukimimi.jpg

Japanese women asked whether they would sooner marry an really ugly rich man or a poor yet handsome stud give a rather one-sided response…

No less than 79% of the women responding opted for the ugly rich man, and a mere 21% for the poor Adonis.

An unrepresentative smattering of their responses:

“You can’t eat on love alone!”

“A hot guy with no cash isn’t trying hard enough!”

“Without any cash the strain of life soon erodes any romance.”

“Their sense of values is more important than either.”

“I’m an ugly so I’ll take whatever I can get!”

“Poverty is crushing.”

“I don’t really feel a hot guy to be that much of a catch anyway.”

“Put next to a really hot guy I’d be worried about what people would say about me…”

“Get a rich guy and you can use his money to call over a hot stud while he’s at work all day – problem solved.”

These results are of course far from unprecedented

2ch, reputed to be both ugly and poor, is especially put out by all this pragmatism at their expense:

“So cash is all that matters, you filthy sows!”

“So they’ll just marry a rich guy and have an affair with a hot one then?”

“That’s marriage for you.”

“The opinions all sound like those of 30+ hags…”

“What women are calling ‘ugly’ here is what everyone else would call ‘average’ though.”

“Well, they are right. A man’s looks fade through the years…”

“For anyone who marries a really ugly guy, rich or not, adultery is the norm.”

“Marriage for love is dead then?”

“With sufficient funds you can pretty much fix most cases of not being cool though…”

“Ask the same of men: 1% = totally ugly but loaded, 99% = gorgeous but poor as a church mouse.”

“What fools these women are – they think they become wealthy by marrying a wealthy man.”

“Why can’t these women get rich themselves and then support their own really hot poor guy?”

“You can always marry a rich ugly, divorce him, take half his money and then marry a hot guy.”

“You guys are not different. They pick based on money, you pick based on sex appeal. Or would you all marry an ugly fat girl with a nice personality?”

“What a bitch – ‘You can’t eat on love alone!’ – they have no intention of earning a living do they?”

“I think in actuality a lot of rich ugly guys have trouble getting married whilst almost all the hot guys are spoken for.”

“Play around with nice guys until you’re 25, then find some ugly loser with no experience of love but a fat purse and bilk him into marrying you – it’s the right choice.”

“You can’t live off your face after all.”

“Can’t be helped. A man’s worth is money, a woman’s is youth.”

“Something like this:

$120k+ salary = 18-year-old girl

$100k+ salary = 20-year-old woman

$80k+ salary = 25-year-oldwoman

$50k+ salary = 30-year-oldwoman

$25k+ salary = 35-year-old woman

Unemployed = 40-year-old woman”

“Having money is proof of your vitality so it’s only natural it would be the major criterion for marriage.”

“Try posing the same question with a photograph and I think the answer will differ…”

“So the husband is just an ATM…”

“You guys are lucky – you’ve a new motivation to work!”

“You keep on about equality and independence but when it comes down to it you want to be supported. Just come out and say you want to parasitise someone…”

“What a crude bunch, only interested in money. These are the women who are going to get discarded when they age…”

“All you ugly paupers sure are weeping right now, eh?”

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    15:39 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Cant eat on love alone my ass. This women obviously doesn't know of the nutritional factors of Semen

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    16:14 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I actually read a doujinshi that mentioned that. Quite revolting shit.

Comment by OTIKA
    22:05 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the right term is an "acquired taste".

A taste only understood by the good.

15:34 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

What about the average guy that works for a living?

Comment by vanilka
    18:10 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

My thoughts exactly. But they didn't seem to get such an option. Even if they did, it probably wouldn't change much. Maybe if character traits were added, which are the most important imho, then the results would be different. At least I hope so.

Comment by Sankaku Resident
    17:49 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Being "average" to them is like "meh." But seeing that this is the Japanese women we're talking about, I'd say you'd be considered "not satisfactory" to them.

Of course, not all Japanese women are like this, but with all the polls we've seen so far, I have no doubt there's plenty that are like that.

07:00 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If you're talking about the polls here, then I'm not sure if it's a good thing to base your thoughts at...

Comment by nightcolored
    15:25 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

“Something like this:
    $120k+ salary = 18-year-old girl
    $100k+ salary = 20-year-old woman
    $80k+ salary = 25-year-oldwoman
    $50k+ salary = 30-year-oldwoman
    $25k+ salary = 35-year-old woman
    Unemployed = 40-year-old woman”

then if you have $200k + salary you can have a loli girl as your girlfriend... hmm...

16:40 09/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

only 2d loli
    3d=legal issues

Comment by Otherwise-Six
    16:50 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

With that kind of income, I'm sure you could pay off the authorities and the loli's parents sufficiently.

23:51 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'd rather buy Love Plus an marry it than pay off the authorities and parents.

Comment by Majineko

cougars ftw in this situation. i dont mind a 40 year old hottie.

19:46 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Not in Thailand...

Comment by Gitami
    06:58 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You need to check it is a loli and not a shota over there.

10:29 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah, you can buy the legal part too!

Comment by Sankaku Resident
    18:06 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@ Nightcolored

Just so long as she's at least 13 because that's the age of.........Oh wait. Because you aren't Japanese and your some "barbaric" foreigner(like some of the Japanese like to term us), you have no other legal option but to embrace love with 2D lolis and high school tweens. Its better than 3D anyway.

10:54 17/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This is invalid to men who have 8" dicks because money means nothing if you can use your tool good, and don't blow like a premas'. Women always talk about you if your GREAT at sex, so even if you do break up... there is always more around the corner after all. Most women friends always try to fuck their boyfriends friend... this is why you can trust women in America.

13:53 03/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I think women in each region also have compatible length for dick. 8" dick for japan women with clash and bleed they vagina it more painful then feel good. I read it for newspaper don't ask for any proof.

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    15:15 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

As much I hate women like them, I have to face reality and see that love isn't what it used to be.

“A hot guy with no cash isn’t trying hard enough!”

My sister married a poor musician who is perhaps the most awesome guy I've met and she's happy with him. They're not rolling in money, but they love each other.What I've noticed is that love to these women is no longer about two sides helping each other grow and to feel for one another. Love is now about supporting the other person and doing everything while they just sit back and do nothing. I want to live with someone I love, not be chained to another person's wishes and no man should ever let a woman treat them like that, no woman should let a man treat them like that either. I would rather live and die unmarried then live in the torment of my own anguish, knowing that I'm only living a lie. That's love these days people...a lie. Women like them are the reason falling in love is so hard in the first place...

15:34 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

you are fucking damn right!! nor wealth, nor looks are the key to a marriage to work, it's the true and honest desire of both parts to help each other, to be there for and support each other, no matter what... when you find a person who cares about you and who you care about too, and both of you make their best for the relationship to improve each day, then and only then you can talk about love

Comment by Satonaka
    15:59 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I've heard of that one too: "The ability for two people to support each other through their trials on their paths towards their respective goals during the good and most definitely the bad."

If this is what love is then the definition has vastly changed in the minds of society since the average persons answer isn't anywhere close to this sadly :'(

Oh well, back to my 2D for now, I'll give love another chance later :P

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    18:13 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Today's "Daily Love Counselling" session was brought to you by YakomoFujikawa

Don't touch that mouse as we stay tuned for next week's edition, right here on SanCom, sponsored by J-list!

17:47 09/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Damn , i almost shed a tear.
    Now back to the daily fapping.

Comment by Elc
    23:29 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@anon 19:10
    i guess you dont know how economies work in post industrial nations... good luck getting a job that pays a ton, you would have to be in the top .01% of the population to get a job that pays enough so you can even begin to think about the possibility of doing what you want.

the question should have been worded differently, should have been love vs money, not looks vs money...

in marriage, love, friendship and devotion are most important, money is just extra icing on the cake.

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    16:09 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

True, the definition has been lost in translation in our modern society, but we can only be ourselves and hope to find someone who's willing to appreciate us for who we are, rather than our wallets...

06:57 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

A relationship is about two individuals relating as two individuals. But people are brainwashed with all those superficial ideas of romance that they don't understand that.

In this world, lots of men are only interested in sex while lots of women are interested in money, but then who've said that the best things in life are easy to reach? You can blame men to be superficial, you can blame women to be superficial, yet it's up to you to decide how you want to see the world.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    21:26 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Anon19:10.dream on

19:10 09/02/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

What a bunch of fags

I'll work to be rich and have harem, and in exchange they can laze around and neglect to do housework so long as they look pretty.

That is the good life for a man

22:12 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Billions of people are together despite not having a lot of money. This may come as a shock to some, but most people are NOT rich... Blaming women on love not being what it used to be is plain stupid as men are just as a big a culprit (OMG men can be shallow, NO!)

"Love" isn't dead, love in the respect you surely must mean was never alive. There has never been only 1 reason to be together. Though love is the noble and surely the most common reason in western society now adays, it used to be a tie between families, combining wealth and so on. If anything love is MORE what is should be now than it "used to be".

Read your history. Moving on, why do so many of you feel hurt by this? Are you all handsome poor people?

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    03:03 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well the subject of this was mostly women and I agree men are also at fault and can be shallow. So you're preaching to the choir here...

Comment by nightcolored
    15:45 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i take off my head to you sir...

Comment by King Tiger
    16:06 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I noticed what you did there~

21:51 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well.. perhaps that *gulp* true love? Something rare but not the rule.

22:04 09/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Suzumiya-san said that "the feelings of love is like a temporary lapse in judgement... kinda like mental illness...Even I get in the mood for that stuff now and then. I am a healthy girl, my body has its urges. But I won't let a momentary slip up leave me with a burden"

03:00 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Then again Suzumiya character was batshit megalomaniac insane.

Comment by Satonaka
    02:50 17/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

True, but she had her moments of wisdom. To me it was THOSE moments coupled with her eccentricity in the show that made her the character we all have come to love/hate today.

That quote in particular really struck gold with me, because there's no way she didn't mean 100% of what she said at that given moment giver her current character build up.

Comment by Arya
    20:45 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Love is but a spice in life for the bread that is sustenance (in most case, money). One certainly cannot live by eating spices alone, but i doubt someone who eats bland bread without spices every single day can be happy throughout their life.

Comment by konakona
    15:05 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

So how many more surveys do you gotta shows us to convince us women love money over there? xD

15:40 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Toss money on the ground like assassin creed and see the women flock to you over there. :P

Comment by Powerpuff Loli
    16:13 09/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Roll a dime down the... Nice punchline recycling.

21:48 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Women love money... EVERYWHERE!

Comment by Sylar
    23:57 09/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Indeed. As a guy who changed quite a few jobs in different European nations and looked at quite a few job adds i realized that except rare high paying jobs with specific strict criteria of what experience and studies you must have(usually you don't start most jobs with a high position), all the other jobs always prefer young women. Hell even just women are better for them than hiring a male.
    If you are a young male and you lose your job, even if you are willing to do anything you will still not find a job immediately while a young woman can find a relatively decent job the next day.
    So here is my request to women, if you want us to support you and use us like ATM then get the fuck out of the employment circle so our life can get easier on making money.
    Seriously their demands are ridiculous in our days considering we have to fight them also when trying to find a good job. They wanted equality. Well we want it too.

Comment by Lurkerman
    02:03 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

well, technically EVERYBODY, not just women, are easily manipulated. Businesses do it in several different ways people don't even notice! Governments of all variety deploy tons of little details from little "catch" words they use (the tax cut is one of the better known ones)to laws that their creators can claim do things they don't. Honestly though, I believe that relationships based on manipulation and deceit aren't long lasting ones, or if they are, they aren't "happy" long lasting relationships.

Comment by vanilka
    03:15 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I know this from the other side. They don't want young women because they could get pregnant and stay home. They don't want mothers with children because children could get sick and a mother could stay home with them because of it.
    The world of work is unfair, deal with it. It's difficult for everyone.
    Moreover, on one hand, you guys rant that women are gold-diggers. On the other, you're telling them to get out of their jobs. So choose already or stop complaining.
    And yes, some people have ridiculous demands but those aren't stupid women, those are stupid people.

01:29 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

That actually makes perfect sense.

In a mate, men look for replication value. Looks.
    Women look for survivability value. In past times, this was strength, these days its status and income.

With women entering the work force the balance is completely thrown off.

Without money, us men have nothing. With women taking a massive chunk out of the new world economy, that's now harder for us to obtain.

I should be thankful I am handsome as hell. If I were to earn money, I would be ONE of the men out of every 100,000 that meets a woman's criteria.

With bullshit statistics working against men like this, its a wonderful thing that women are so foolish and easily manipulated...

Comment by Fleeting Rain
    02:00 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Which further proves Darwin was right all along.

14:29 11/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Sylar

I don't know what terrible bizarro realm you live in, but everything Rena said about young women and mothers not being favored in job hiring is true where I live as well. I've spoken with business owners who happened to be part time teachers and they say the same thing- they don't want to hire them because the children may make her miss work, or she could very well get pregnant if she's recently married and viola- tons of paid time off AND the company has to hire someone to take her spot while she's out.

So clearly, you must be blind. Or just looking at the wrong place for jobs.

Comment by vanilka
    16:38 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@Sylar

Of course, I agree with that. I don't approve of women taking men as wallets, even less when they earn their own money already.

"Reality" you're talking about applies on your country and few others, not for the whole world. For example, where I live this works different.
    Here, when you could get pregnant or you have kids as a woman, you're unwanted material - thus my young women employment argument. I couldn't imagine for it to be different in other countries so, my bad. Here, in some work fields, women are still paid less than men for the same job.
    There were also no women rushing to work aggressively in my country in the past. Not so long ago, we were a communist country and everybody had to work, no matter what sex you were, otherwise you were arrested. The economic was driven by state. If I remember correctly, there were also no such things like equality or feministic movements. Women just learned to take care of themselves and to be independent. It's not very common to see such things as housewives here.
    Here, only spoiled brats wait what their husbands/boyfriends give them and want to be taken care of.
    Of course I know I can't apply this on every state. Especially because we're such a weird country with weird past.
    So yeah, I agree that each woman should choose if she wants to sit home and being taken care of or work and being independent, not try to be both at the same time.

Of course, if the economy works that way where you live, then it really doesn't help the whole situation.
    The fact that government is doing everything except for supporting families is somewhat common knowledge these days. Here it isn't much better, everything is damn expensive, supporting your family alone is unthinkable. However, I don't think you can stop increasing prices in any way, with women in workforce or without them. But I'm not really interested in economy that much to be able to tell, I admit.

Comment by Sylar
    05:54 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think you got my point Rena. If women weren't in the workforce i will gladly accept that i have to share my money with her, but from the moment she was to be viewed as equal in the employment market as well, she should stop searching for me(or any man) taking care of her.

And since you are a woman i have to tell you that women made no favors to themselves by entering so aggressively in the employment market. At first it looked ideal even for their husbands, they worked got money and the husbands didn't had to give as much at every thing their wifes wanted since they could buy staff for themselves. For women it worked even better. They didn't have to ask their husband and they felt more free and their money worked like extra cash since the man payed for the family expenses and they mostly used their money for personal purchases. It also gave them more freedom to live alone.
    Unfortunately for wifes and husbands world over the governments and corporations saw a golden opportunity to make more money out of the money women started earning and they even started to push the idea of women in the workforce but for anything else than their love of equal rights and freedom to women.

Resold?
    The prices risen and taxes risen to a level that a family to get by, has to use both salaries. Do you honestly think that if women weren't part of the workforce the price of life would be the same?
    I assure that it wouldn't, everything will have been priced under the assumption than a family has one and single income.
    Anyway, today for the couple not needing money from both parties, one of the two must have a very high paying job. This resolds in women asking for rare men with very high paying jobs because a normal salary is not good anymore in supporting more that one person.

Don't get me wrong i don't think women shouldn't have the right of employment and we should go back at men ruling all income. I just think it was badly and terribly executed. Our disgusting capitalistic system destroyed the dream of nice equality completely. The way it is now, it works against women and men and especially against families as a whole.

As about young women employment. I don't know what you are talking about. Ether you don't know what you talk about or i am blind, because i have todays city newspaper in-frond of me and only a look at the first page of employment adds i found 15 jobs asking for strictly young women and only 2 jobs for a man or woman. You logic about pregnancy is nice and all but it means shit when the reality is right here in my hand and seems different.

02:51 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Bullshit. That's a blanket statement and completely incorrect.

Unless I'm in the minority of "love is love, money and looks don't mean a thing" category.

Comment by Hatsune Miku
    01:37 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Love is dead, money is the new love...

Comment by TNinja
    01:57 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm, I don't know. This is a rather unfair survey this time. NO matter how I look at it, it looks bad.

If you choose the money path, you look like a greedy bitch.
    If you choose the hot path, it looks like you don't care for shit how incompetent the guy is.

And as far as I know, today's society, people look down on both sides. :V

Except for the men's part. We all go for hotness.

01:43 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i do have to point out the survey mentions nothing about actual love for the said person

06:37 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

was there ever such a thing as marrying for love? Looking back historically, marriage has always been treated like a business transaction and in many part of the world it still is.

Comment by Rei-Sama
    23:52 09/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Until Aya Hirano have comments about it.

Comment by Mizushima 水島
    00:21 10/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

about 400 more it seems. heck we alrdy knew love was dead come 1980'sish

All women (and men) love money.
    The Sankaku surveys are more explicitly about women in Japan wanting money from their husbands while they dick around at home.

"Housework is hard too!"