9 Ways of Making Your Boyfriend Stop Playing Games

durarara-gaming-by-kayaku.jpg

Japanese women stuck with a boyfriend with a hobby they don’t like supply ways of inducing him to stop behaving like an immature child and instead do something productive like buying them shoes or something.

The listing:

1. “Let’s do this together” – recommend a hobby you can do together
“If you draw his attention away from gaming, he may finally give it up.” Find something you can do together and his interest may wane. Keep suggesting things until you find something he likes.

2. “But apart from that hobby, you’re such a great man” – wound his manly pride
He might stop if you endanger his pride with an “in spite of your gaming…” element, as he wants to seem appealing. You can increase its effectiveness by explaining to him how great he is apart from his gaming habit.

3. “Games are all very well, but why don’t you spend some more time with me?” – fawn over him
Try to lure him away from the game by fawning over him like some teenager. However, if you mistime this in an important gaming moment you may only irritate him.

4. “I’m not interested in games at all!” – tell him straight up you’re not interested in his stupid hobby
“Play up the fact you are bored of him playing games.” If you express how bored you are and how little interest you have in his gaming, he might stop. It’s probably best if you offer a suggestion of something to do rather than just say you have no interest though.

5. “How long are you planning on playing this!?” – bluntly reject his gaming
“If he won’t listen, you have no choice but to reject him.” Show him a harsher attitude and he may rush to stop playing in case he displeases you. However, he may be annoyed, so only do this when he’s ignored your other warnings.

6. “If you won’t stop, I’ll do something you’ll not like either!” – make him feel the same way
“If he’s ignoring you playing a game, ignore him back!” If you do something nasty to him back, he might understand how annoying he is and stop. If you say it straight out it may make you look childish and immature, so try to make it look like a joke.

7. “My friends were saying how sick they are of their gamer boyfriends!” – borrow someone else’s words
“This will work on a man who is sensitive to what women think of him.” Make your boyfriend think general opinion is against him and he may stop. It’ll work even better if you can drop the name of one of his friend’s girlfriends.

8. “If you won’t spend time with me it makes me feel lonely. Shall I just go home?” Complain how unhappy you are
“If he won’t listen to you, all you can resort to is acting.” Play up your sadness and threaten to leave, and he may suddenly drop his game and come to you. Be careful or you’ll end up looking like a “selfish girlfriend” though.

“Make him think of what it’ll be like if he keeps playing them.”
Question whether his hobby is something it would be appropriate for him to do for the rest of his life – he might stop. When he stops you can suggest doing something you like.

More direct methods are presumably only to be used as a last resort.

Comment by steph
    20:55 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

wow if some bitch started whining at me to stop playing games i'd probably dump her on the spot

i mean really, show some respect for my hobbies.

05:44 07/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

girlfriend: me? or games?
    boyfriend: ...nah...i can multitask..

Comment by papuanewguineapunk

#10. Tell him that playing video games causes phimosis (search phimosis), and not the false kind. When he calls your bluff, kick him in his tiny asian testicles. In fact, kick as hard as you want. If what I have learned from these posts is true, he wasn't planning on having kids anyway (see herbivorous men). On the contrary his next step is probably to jump in front of a train or off a cliff (see suicide rate in japan) because of all your nagging.

Comment by Crim
    05:07 07/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

3. and 8. would work

The rest just makes the girl a bit of a bitch which I probably wouldnt want to date anyways

23:45 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

While I wouldn't spend all my time gaming and of course would spend some time with a girlfriend, if she were to complain about it all the time or even told me to stop completely, I would bluntly tell her she chose the wrong guy. A girlfriend not being able to accept her boyfriend as he is is not worthy of that title and of course vice versa.

13:52 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd drop her like a rock if she told me to give up gaming. There are millions of bitches in the world, but few if any hobbies as rewarding and satisfying as videogames.

You two sound soooo single... Gaming isn't worth it, believe me.

16:20 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You sound sooo desperate. Why the hell would you give up something you enjoy just because some ho has a problem with it? There are plenty of fish in the sea. No relationship is worth giving up your freedom, believe me.

04:02 12/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I approve your comment.

Anyway, girls from reality are not able to apply those rules properly, they don't want to.

(but for me, if I liked girls from reality, I wouldn't be playing video games that much, so it's a lost case)

20:18 09/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

... Yeah! What they said!.. Viva gaming!...

Believe it... i mean.. Believe me. XD

15:05 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It is worth it. Believe me.

Comment by viewtifu1
    20:02 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

*keeps playing*

Comment by H-Ero
    20:09 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

Or the guy can dump you and find a girl that enjoys games as well.

"9. “Are you going to play those things even when you’re 50?” – evoke images of his future"

FUCK YEAH I WILL! My grandkids will be so jealous of me when I capture all 1000+ pokemon.

22:00 06/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

"Or the guy can dump you and find a girl that enjoys games as well."

^this

Me and my boyfriend never had problems with this. We both play everything that we can get our hands on, except he ist more of a pc-gamer (though I play PC too for RPG's or shooters like cod)while i own all the consoles in our household and usually play everything on console that is multiplatform (again: not COD, it was not meant to be on consoles :P)
    BTW: Beating a boss in co-op play with the one you love is awesome ^^ Oh, and we're getting married in July, a dream come true ^^

22:47 06/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Congratulations, best of times ahead of you!

11:45 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, congrats to you Anonymous 22:00!

22:35 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Now that is gaming happily ever after together.

Does that mean you're homosexuals?

Comment by Damian
    03:01 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

exept that everyone knows there arent woman on the internet. :P

Comment by jr2nd
    00:44 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

for shame on you lol girls can play video games as well you know my ex was a pretty tough SF2pc player.

two words, put out...

20:33 06/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

We'll have a first generation of oldies having their room full of ero games, hentai posters and so on.

Fuck Yea!

21:08 06/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Nah, eroges and hentai posters are lame...

I'll just let my grandchildren inherit my entire suite of Gundam Seed Destiny(original Bandai's, not some Chinese knockoff) 144 scale action figures.

They may be generic now, but these things will be rare 70 years into the future and they'll either appreciate it like I do or sell it to future otakus to make some cash. Either way, I have something of value to put in my will, lol.

23:16 06/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Who need the children, since they just eat money and poop problems?

But it sure would be nice to have all the 1000+ poks in your hands. Eroge and H posters are meant to make part of the "anti-ishihara" commotion. xD

back to the GF stuff. What stupid listing =o... if you are a gamer and have a stupid girl who doesn't like games and let yourself stop gamming from those metods, shame on you. Choose a girl who like games, or don't date'em.

[then order her to fanservice as game and then anime chars for you, ero-cosplay \o/]

Comment by Anim3Fr33K
    20:12 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

No.9:
    my dad is 54? maybe 53, and he still plays video games, just today he was telling me how much better dead space would be if it was FPS instead of 3rd person.

Comment by Vu Le Khoa
    22:58 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

Those 9 ways above??? More like 9 ways to easy breaking up =))

Comment by TFish
    00:18 07/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Agreed. All of these seems pretty childish, if it's really that big of a problem (which it shouldn't be unless it consumes his entire life, in which case how does he have a girlfriend in the first place?) then just talk about why it bothers you together.

From other studies I've seen the only Japanese likely to be in a relationship would be elementary and middle schoolers, when the girls are still young enough to not know the value of a dollar. So maybe this is fitting.

Comment by Lurkerman
    00:54 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

ok, honestly, I went through that list going "Then why are we a couple?" and "If you dislike gaming so much, then what the hell do we have in common?". Obviously, they expect 1) For the person being convinced to not be an avid gamer. 2) that the guy to fawn over the girl and be obedient. 3) That the girl can honestly say that she has no chance what so ever of ever liking any game ever.

02:45 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Ahh well I'm sorry gentlemen but I have you all beat with my flush,

1) Yes, I do have a girlfriend whom I've been with for 3 years, she loves video games.

2) I'm currently learning on how to MAKE video games, and oddly enough so is she.

3) I'm about the look of an average guy. She's fricking hot IMO, blond, d's, and loyal...total score.

4) We play games together, idk about you guys, but dam if a woman WANTS to play with me...I think I hit the lotto.

and 5) We met on a video game.

10:12 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

internet logic tells me that you are lying. BUT if its true, i hate you so much i would prob netoraree your girlfriend from you, kill you and make it look like an accident

Comment by vanchrian
    01:41 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@Lurkerman My ex used some of those on me, and they do work if coupled with the constant threat of tantrums.

Granted, I did sometimes play games while we were together, but it was mostly because she required 3 to 4 hours of my time at least every other day.

And damn near every day of every weekend or holiday.

The only time there was no threat of such things was when it was a game that she was interested in as well.

I can't believe I stuck with her for 2 years.

15:02 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Totaly serious abut having my gf a gamer like I, and two we plan on marriage...and dude she would probably kill you for killing me XD

00:21 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly what I thought, these seem like the lines used in many sitcoms where they end up having a huge fight.

Comment by Lonesnipa
    00:52 07/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Shit if the girl wants you to stop playing that much she isn't much of a girlfriend.

Oh come on, put on the shoes of them, women love to be annoying, it's in their nature; you can't even blame them for being like crap ;)

Comment by Shippoyasha
    20:14 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Your dead is INSANE for thinking that. Dead Space? FPS? Wow. That seriously makes me mad imagining it. XD

Comment by Anim3Fr33K
    20:20 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Oh i agree, i had a good argument about it, but he had some good points as well along the lines of F.E.A.R., Doom, etc. Made me realize there were just as many good horror FPSs as there are 3rd Person Horror games.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    21:14 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'm perfectly fine for fearing for other characters standing in for me though. Unique on screen characters gives it a special quality to a survival horror IMO.

Deadly Premonition, Dead Space, Dead Rising, Silent Hill and Resident Evil to name a few. Some PC FPS horror do play it very well though. I'm glad Dead Space actually bridges the line between FPS style of shooter and 3rd person horror.

20:55 06/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.8)

First person lets you get more immersed into the experience. First person blurs the line between the character, and you, while third person shows a constant reminder that you are not in the game.

Fearing for a character is much different than fearing for yourself.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    20:34 06/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Yeah, but there's something to be said to actually being able to see Isaac and not some floating-hand/gun. If we couldn't see Isaac and his suited creepiness, it would have been worse off for it. Or worse yet, we may have had to get pulled into 3rd person perspective when Isaac gets attacked... or not even see death animations of Isaac at all. FPS horror had a good run. I think 3rd person needs a time to shine.

21:11 06/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Dunno man. I was pretty fucking scared for Isaac in both games. If I'm responsible for a character, either in third person over the shoulder or bird's eye view/isometric a.l.a. RTS, I generally REALLY don't like seeing them get chased down and ripped apart like a sack of meat, even if I don't imagine myself as them. Hopefully I'm not the out-lier, but people keep talking about shit like desensitization, I guess I might be.

21:13 06/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Ah, FEAR... the game that made me stop working until late night in my office. Thanks a lot for making office buildings and furniture with dim lighting look creepy, fucking jerks...!

However, EA intended Dead Space to be a contender for the survival horror genre. Pitting it as an FPS would make it become compared to other FPSes, and those things come out as often in the West as eroges do in Japan! (Hint: more than you can buy)

01:06 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I love first person games, but Dead Space was done very well. Especially the interface and Issac's health bars.

Comment by caiooa
    21:57 06/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

actually your dad hobby isn't something that rare. I have see lot's of people that work in computer and that after they retire from work they start to play computer games (well...my dad started to play age of empires 2 IN the work, lol)

Comment by nonsensezzz
    01:11 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i have lecturer on age over 50 that still playing a video game...

but if this words came out from my girlfriend mouth, she will shocking me for 4 second.

01:40 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Seems like they only reason they made it third person was to get rid of any kind of HUD. I agree it would have been better in first person.

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    21:10 06/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.9)

1. I got Street Fighter IV in my room...

2. I know I'm a great man, that's why I'm
    playing Love Plus :P

3. unless you're hinting sex here, Street Fighter IV is still in my room...>_>

4. so....sex?

5. how long? I don't know....never heard of anyone who beat Final Fantasy VII in
    less than a day...

6. you should have done that INSTEAD of bitching at me five steps ago while I'm trying to get a Golden Chocobo...>_>

7. well, it sucks to be them...

8. unless you trying to get laid, read number 6....

9. gaming grandpa...that sounds fucking awesome! :3

05:50 07/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

A guy would probably answer this to all of them;

"Go fuck yourself."

XD

Comment by ItsDemo
    02:56 07/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

why can't they just bluntly say, "if you don't stop playing your games we're not gonna fuck anymore" plain and simple message is best.

that's why I have so many eroges.

Comment by Hawke
    21:40 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

that would be take common sense...

Comment by CivicSoldier
    01:30 07/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

You sir have made my day

04:44 07/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Akk my Girl tells me is: "honey, I just took a really warm shower and I don't have a towel on me."

That's all it takes for me to put down my joystick and follow her to bed. otherwise, she plays games with me. She busted my ass on tekken 6 with a panda more than 100 times already to be honest

Comment by Henry
    06:50 07/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

They can just practice to be better than us in games and beat us there :3 And tell us we suck so we should stop playing games lol

Comment by Seil
    07:19 07/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

it's the girl they are bored of, so they turn to games like love plus.
    it's the girl that is not interesting, depending on game he's playing, she probably scores lower than the game's review score.
    if not previous two, well, we just need some time off. XD

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    06:29 07/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

glad to know I made your day :3

Comment by HouseLife
    06:43 07/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Wow... these women... are quite foolish.

I won't even go into how gaming in and of itself has transcended being 'a waste of time,' but they are doing the exact wrong things to get a guy to do ANYTHING. That entire list is a litany of 'what not to do.'

Gaming offers many things girlfriends do not, but one key one is 'change.' A girlfriend changing is often a random occurrence and not always beneficial. A game has the benefit of expanding one's imagination, but once you are bored of it, you may change it to any number of others and shift to a completely different mindset and imaginary realm and feel a complete feeling of newness.

I'm sure it's possible for a girlfriend to offer similar possibilities in the real world, but honestly, it's much easier to just find a girl who enjoys the same vacations into the fantasy realms as you do. And considering how hard it can be to find those, and still saying it's easier, that says a lot.

tl;dr
    Kitchen
    (Sorry, couldn't help it :D)

Comment by WPE
    02:56 07/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

people upvoted this unironically. hahaha never change sankaku

07:06 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

forgot 10 and 11

10. ??????

11. Profit

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    01:33 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ah, no wonder you've got so much free time and continue to harass us in the group xD

02:07 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Butthurt, Yoshii-kun? got to #6 ;)

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    06:31 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

no Yoshii...that was a badass anon...I wouldn't make another account to make a comment like that XD

Comment by Yourtime
    04:07 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@extrovertedotaku oha new avatar :D

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    02:47 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I know that's you Yakomo, and I'm gonna leave you with Megi in the confinement box again while I get some sleep ^^

10:59 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

why is your no.9 what i was just thinking abut this morning

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    01:41 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

A true gamer indeed...

02:41 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you sir is the king of games

Comment by Sithreis
    04:52 07/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

THEN HE HAS THE FINAL BLUE EYES WHITE DRAGON. I MUST TAKE IT FOR MYSELF THEN RIP IT UP TO A MILLION PIECES. HA HA HA. HA HA HA.

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    06:32 07/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you sir have made MY day. ROFL...XDDDD