Tales of Graces F English Release Announced

my-little-pascal-cant-be-this-cute.png

Namco Bandai has announced its most recent Tales “mothership” title Tales of Graces F is set for a US release.

No date has yet been announced, nor any details of the localisation particulars, although it would be reasonable to expect the game to follow the pattern of previous tales titles.

togf-usa.png

Tales of Graces F is the much improved (or rather, completed) re-release of the Wii original.

Whilst an undeniably good game with a fine if totally unoriginal story and a refined gameplay system, fans should probably be cautioned to be restrained in their expectations – the graphics are awful and the production values are the lowest of any recent Tales game, with the number of skits and amount of voiced dialogue noticeably lower than previous titles, and the world much reduced in scale.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:56 03/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I'll wait till it hits the bargain bins personally. I was hoping for the more ambitious Vesperia and the Xilia sequel.

And it's so true with Tales games. The characters are nice and all, but they basically feature largely samey story arcs, largely the samey main villains and some of the hokiest, most cliched plot-twists that has since become a Tales trope.

Comment by King Tiger
    01:47 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm just grateful enough that its getting a U.S. release :3

Comment by Artefact

Tales of Graces is dreadful in that regard. The characters are charming but the story is recycled dross - the last one to feature a proper story was really Tales of the Abyss.

19:48 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Good God, no.... The single Tales game to ever sport a decent narrative was Tales of Phantasia. TotA is filled boring technical jargon, mostly two-dimensional characters... And that's all that needs to be said about anything plot-wise. The FR-LMBS was great, though. Quite a bit of fun, little sidequests as well. But good story? I'm afraid you're mistaken, sir.

02:34 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Abyss was the last good tales game. Story + characters were all great. Vesperia's story was 2nd only to ToP in suck and but i hated the characters more. And like Artefact said Graces has good characters and an ok story, so its not bad.

Comment by vanchrian
    05:34 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@Artefact Yeah. The thing I most fondly remember from Vesperia is Yuri. It was so refreshing to have a main character with a personality that would actually attract people to his cause by-way of being a natural leader.

Throughout the whole game I could see him leading the party, and really being the glue that held the party together.

It made the game enjoyable despite the story being a rehash of several Tales.

09:37 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Aren't you guys forgetting about Symphonia?

10:02 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Everytime someone says cliche I want to punch them in the face.
    Between "they changed it now it sucks" and "It's the same now it sucks" How are game developers supposed to win. Stop making excuses for your hatred.

05:56 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Despite of the cliche story, I enjoyed Tales of Eternia far more than Abyss/Symphonia/Vesperia.

04:40 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

@anon 02:34
    "Abyss was the last good tales game."

Opinion disregarded. You've obviously never been anywhere near Tales of Hearts.

@anon 02:19
    "That's hilarious that you think Tales of Phantasia had a good story. It easily has the worst story of any Tales game ever."

The very fact that you imply ToP's narrative was inferior to, say, ToD's makes me question if you have any skills whatsoever in discerning quality narrative from junk.

Awful opinions are awful.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    20:54 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought Abyss had a pretty good backstory even with the somewhat rote characterizations.

It seems the Tales series can't ever get the writing, backstory and characters perfect in one go. There's always something wrong with their games. XD

02:19 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Comment by Artefact

Silly JRPG technical jargon may have plagued Abyss, but I think the characters and story were reasonable. That I can still remember the story suggests to me that it did something right.

Vesperia on the other hand had one of the nicest protagonists going in the angst-ridden teenager filled JRPG genre, but an utterly forgettable story (in fact I have all but forgotten it).

Graces has some lovely characters and fine (if unforgivably undeveloped) romances... the story is passable but the actual execution is terribly clichéd. The gameplay system could use expansion in the crafting area but otherwise seems one of the best yet.

Comment by Demonboy
    18:27 03/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

So in other words, they threw us a Tale of game to shut us up, but it's the retard cousin from Alabama instead of the cute but naive to culture cousin from Texas...

Comment by MikuruX
    19:19 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Being from and living in Alabama, that example kinda hurt, ya know?

Oh well.....at least it's not a re-release of a previous game but that doesn't change the fact their going to try and make us cough up for the DLC crap.

Comment by shoranhimura
    03:39 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And here am i trying to understand the comparison, being born and living outside US...

18:56 03/02/2011 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

money talks bull shit walks

21:51 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

With all the negative comments here, Bamco is stuck in a sticky situation of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

Amidst all the negative feedback, this is a good step for Bamco and their attempts to reconnect to the foreign market. I hope this is the start of their reconciliation with their estranged international fans.

(seems like a long shot but I also hope they re-port it back to the Wii... I have no munnies for a ps3...)

Comment by Alexeon
    09:33 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This is a day -300 buy for me! I cant wait to pre-order it!

Comment by Ryan Saotome
    21:40 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

As a Wii owner who had Graces as one of the reasons he decided to buy a Wii...

Fuck you, Namco.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    09:23 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

now since both titles are pretty much confirmed coming here.

people should buy both titles so we can get Xillia and other Tales games :)

oh and please add dual audio Namco Please.

Comment by Exia
    18:30 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Gonna buy this so I can further notion for a u.s. release of Xilia.

Would have been awesome if it was Graces f and Vesperia for Ps3 but I digress.

Comment by Setsuna Toshirou
    09:02 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

hmm Now I'm surprised O.o ok i love the news but it would be nice if Wii version received English patch as well...

06:24 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Where the hell is the PS3 release of Vesperia?

Namco Bandai are idiots. I tried to work for them recently to help their clueless marketing department and after seeing the way they select employees, it's no wonder that no one working there has no idea what the hell they're doing. I hope they sink.

12:02 05/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

why would i want a game i already paid for?
    I bet if they released it you would be complaining their tryna sell the same game twice. i wanted graces much more than ToV anyway. Flynn and patty arent worth 60$. ITs also funny that you think you know marketing cuz if you did you would know remakes rarely ever sell well even. dumbass

04:29 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No Tales will ever be a tenth as good as Tales of Phantasia was, so that's quite alright.

04:31 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

well i already know japanese and already finished both wii and ps3 versions. I could even buy the na version just to support bamco, but i can't afford the english dubs with those lazy and annoying voices and the lack of dlc (seriously, do you guys really think you'll receive miku and im@s costumes? lol)

04:33 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

What's depressing about this, is that because this is a pretty meh game, it'll likely get meh sales.

If it gets meh sales, it will doom any further chances of us getting any Tales games.

Comment by Wanderer
    18:40 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Now I can get a good dose of Hanazawa Kana awesomeness w/ English subs?

13:38 06/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

finally Namco Bandai is giving what their fans want.
    more english tales games.

03:09 29/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Any new news on this? It's already november reaching december....

18:13 06/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"BAWWWW, NO VESPERIA FOR MY PS3"."WAAAAHHHHH NO WII VERSION" Bitch bitch bitch whine whine whine, so this is what has become of the once proud tales fandom, now reduced to a bunch crybabies. I'm glad we're getting a tales game statewise AT ALL. What happened with vespeia was a mess but it's time to move the fuck on, Either play the 360 version or import the other, your choice.

Comment by Serujii
    18:23 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

OHHHHHHH!!!! can't wait to get this....

Comment by Guangyu Zhao
    18:28 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Include the Japanese sound track please!!!!!!

15:22 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So we got Graces .... What about the other games? Knowing Bamco they'll release it in parts.

17:08 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"Bandai has also been at its usual antics, removing most of the costumes from the main game in favour of making them DLC, making the game even more spartan."

Fucking hell... I don't believe this. They're going to make us pay for stuff that should be given to us in the beginning? Ya know, I hope all this is a lie brought on by past trends and no solid evidence of the present situation. If it's not, I might be off of Tales for good and ToS: Dawn of the New World is a really bad place to be leaving at.

06:23 05/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow if this doesn't say hypocrisy, I don't know what does. First everyone is complaining that we don't get Tales of Vesperia PS3 and now ragging on that we finally get a Tales title remade insted of the crappy bugged Wii beta one. Just be happy that we even got this AT ALL. Although it would be nice to get Vesperia Perfect, be satisfied we have something.

Also, crappy graphics? Pretty pixels don't make the game good at all, but I think this is just putting your standards too damn high. It looks fine to me. I may not purchase right off, but will be picking it up.

Comment by Button
    03:51 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"the graphics are awful"

I disagree. While the graphics might be simplistic, they are still well done. Most awful looking games that I've seen rely too much on basic diffuse shaders or bloom to "dress up" their simplistic models/textures. Graces avoids that; it mostly relies on its own textures to "light up" its scenes. In addition, they are nicely readable and color arranged (I've never got eyesore from playing it for 2-3 hours). I won't write a tl;dr description on the two terms, but I'd still recommend looking them up. High-end game companies like Insomniac Games prioritize those two terms when they make their visuals (not my own conclusion, they literally explain their importance at CiT's Insomniac Museum). I like the graphics, and I like Namco Tales Studio even more for relying on its own textures for lighting up this game, instead of using standard global illumination/normal map effects and crap.

If someone asked me how I could appreciate such "bad" graphics, I'd tell them that it has a wind-waker esque appeal.

My 2 cents..

I think that's the point. Haters gonna hate :p

20:49 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And now we can say goodbye to any other tales games because "fan" will pirate the game to "show their anger" to bamco.

"Never ending trolling, foreign fan and bamco".

21:25 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Pirate? PS3?

Huh...

22:02 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Well,there have been rumor that "english patch" will be out for vesperia ps3 ... wouldn't be surprised if they'd do the same for graces.

Seeing the FW required for graces was from when people actually managed to get thing working with hacking.. or at least were boasting about it on the net.

And unfortunately the ps3 isn't as "pirate free" it was thought to be.

Anyway,it'll either be boycott or stupid marketing from bamco... like... releasing it the same days as some FF or something >.>

There's been a lot of winning but the tales so-called "fanbase" doesn't make itself really known when it come to buying the game once it comes out.

Either way it'll be importing again for me,seeing how we only got the two symphonia and vesperia xbox coming to Europe , i really don't think they'll bring this one.
    (And i'm not waiting another fucking years for a game that "may" get an European release)

21:33 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Cool stuff, haven't played a tales since DOTNW on Wii, still woulda rather had Vesperia for ps3 since i don't have a red ring machine.

20:20 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopes raised, hopes dashed. such is the life of Namdai Scamco

19:09 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it strange that I want to play it only because of Kana Hanazawa?
    If they keep the english voices, I'll buy a PS3.

19:13 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, I fail. Meant japanese voices.

19:02 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Way to go scamco...
    Not trolling wii owners enough huh?

from wii exclusive to beta tester and now this ..
    original version will stay beta version for wii owners forever with out english release.
    ่ีnow good bye tales of series really regret put on high hope since the announcment.
    And I will never trust scamco again.

10:10 04/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

They can't back port it, it would breach their contract of exclusive content to sony. It's not that they don't want to.

12:07 05/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

also to get all the stuff that the ps3 has the wii vs would need two disks and ive not seen a 2 disk wii game

19:24 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Tales of Graces F > Final Fantasy XIII