last-exile-by-range-murata-1.jpg

Beleaguered anime producer Gonzo has by way of its participation at the Tokyo Anime Fair announced its support for Ishihara’s policies of anime censorship, and has also announced a continuation to its hit anime Last Exile in the form of a new series.

Also announced was Nyanpire, a Hello Kitty-esque neko anime, which seems likely to either fail without trace or become a huge hit (presumably the former).

nyanpire.jpg

Last Exile’s conclusion left no obvious route for a continuation, so what form the anime will take is a mystery (it will however have a new cast) – it seems likely Gonzo is grasping at straws by returning to its few successful original anime properties, particularly with the embarrassingly complete failure of such titles as Shangri-la (now not even left with a website).

gonzo-last-exile.jpg

The announcement itself was quickly overshadowed by a barrage of criticism from anime fans unhappily noting that Gonzo has not withdrawn its participation from Ishihara’s Tokyo Anime Fair in favour of the pro-freedom of speech Anime Contents Expo.

last-exile-by-range-murata-2.jpg

Coming from the company responsible for animating the first season of Strike Witches, a show well in Ishihara’s crosshairs, the decision to attend the event when most responsible publishers have withdrawn their support in protest seems particularly questionable.

With TAF on the verge of being cancelled and likely to have its attendance figures eviscerated, the decision to support the event is also as questionable in terms of business acumen as it is ethically – although Gonzo has already been driven into bankruptcy once, so it is hardly surprising to see it lacks either.

Comment by Olba
    17:31 02/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

... But... but I liked Shangri-La!

Well, it was decent.

Comment by Reboot
    18:46 02/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Shangri-la's only point was Range Murata's artwork.

It's a great point, indeed, but... You know...

Comment by SonicYouth
    21:13 02/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

TBH, not just the character designs, I think Shangri-la as a whole is great, even though there are some glitches in this anime ; )

Comment by NakkiNyan
    19:12 02/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Maybe I could watch Shangri-la with the sound off, I hated the show but I have to agree with the art ... except maybe the trannies.

20:55 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You are not alone, my friend. I liked the anime too.

Comment by Satonaka
    01:28 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Samer here, I thought Shangri-La was enjoyable. Didn't feel like I wasted my time.

Anonymous has declared war on Shintaro Ishihara, for the violations of Freedom of speech and freedom of expression, his new anti- otaku law is preventing a new wave of talent and audience.

ANONYMOUS WILL DISCUSS ABOUT OPERATION 2D3D4D

Don't forget, we have the power to stop Ishihara's outrageous law and prevent further tyranny to the Anime sector

WE ARE ANONYMOUS
    WE ARE LEIGON
    WE DO NOT FORGIVE
    WE DO NOT FORGET
    WE DO NOT FORGIVE
    EXPECT US.

10:18 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Because this is fucking stupid. Annon is not legion and the only thing we can expect from Annon is more harassment of 11 year old girls. All the chans have proven is that they are pants on head retarded.

10:38 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Anon09:15

You don't get it. This is Sankaku Complex, not /b/.

03:31 05/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

What a loony.

09:15 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I on't understand why people are downvoting this. Isn't it a good thing that they're doing this for us? Not all anons from 4chan are douchebags, y'know.

20:13 27/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No worries, I liked it too. Wasn't as good as the Gonzo "classics" (could've used a better storyline) but still decent.

Comment by LanSlyde
    13:29 02/02/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Oh what the hell...
    The Last Exile ended beautifully. I see absolutely no reason why they should make a continuation. Especially if that continuation is gonna be subject to Ishiharas rules and regulations. Just pull out like everyone else with a bit of business sense did. Whatever, on totally unrelated note. I want another season of Genshiken.

Comment by Kyon
    13:33 02/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Also, the new GONZO is not like the old GONZO...
    God, don't let them rape the Masterpiece.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:56 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually have some faith in them. Saki and Druaga were fun enough and more importantly, they showed they still have dramatic knacks in Shangri-La.

They even have the same directors and writers and the character designers so the elements are there if they want to make a sequel in the same spirit and same styling with the same talent to make it.

I'm kind of sad for Gonzo in that they went from being a powerhouse of independent, doing-their-own-thing anime house to something scrounging for profits due to their horrid DVD practices as of late.

I don't like how they're bowing to the Ishihara pressures, but I just hope for their sake and ours, they make a good Last Exile sequel.

Comment by LanSlyde
    13:36 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol Do you believe in Murphy's Law?

Comment by HouseLife
    17:07 02/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

*sigh* I admit it, if they can even make it half as atmospheric as the original, I have no qualms about going back to that world again. I will silently just pray that they know what they are doing. I've been pleasantly surprised before. Going back to what worked seems to be the word of the day.

Comment by alidan
    15:48 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

what if its just a new series in the last exile world.

it may be hard to fuck that up.

Comment by FlyingCake
    15:16 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I question if Range Murata approves of this.

Comment by Crim
    13:56 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome, More Alex Rowe please

14:50 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

murphy's law?

be poor on purpose
    BECOME RICH

u mad?

Comment by BlaqCat
    15:34 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

New GONZO= "lol GONZO..."

Comment by zecks
    16:13 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

what are they going to call it? maybe 'second to last exile"

penultimate exile?

Comment by Arya

I propose we declare Exterminatus on GONZO. They have escaped annihilation once, they won't escape it this time.

Comment by msoltyspl
    17:07 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well, greedy corporate middle management suits couldn't care less that Exile is well remembered and ended beautifully.

That's actually the main reason they will try to milk some more cash from it.

19:27 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Exactly. I love Last Exile, but this news is not good. Make something new or a sequel to things that need it.

Comment by toyNN
    13:48 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"Last Exile’s conclusion left no obvious route for a continuation" That's an understatement. @LanSlyde "..end beautifully" say what? Its got to be the worst ending ever!

Don't get me wrong, I loved Last Exile..right up to its completely-lacking-any-logic-or-resolve ending. Most of the plot-lines were just ignored, motivations ignored, logic ignored.

It just shows you how most anime that aren't based on manga or novel just don't have a solid story in the end. And I wouldn't care at all but Last Exile was so good along with way.

This new one sounds like 3D-fancy bs and the story comes much later..if at all. It will look pretty but suck

Comment by LanSlyde

@toyNN While I disagree with your opinion I will uphold your right to it.

@Crim yeah no bai.

Comment by VIC3
    15:53 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Last Exile was so amazing. What can they possibly do now? Since it is new characters is it going to be a whole bunch of people in vanships with a new problem? I hope they don't ruin the credibility of the series. I suspect the story will just take place in the same universe as the original Last Exile.

15:24 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Rather than a continuation per se. It's probably sort of like a spin off. It's new characters new story blahblahblah utilising the wonderful world of....that Last Exile presented. so lets just separate this last exile from the original.

Comment by King Tiger
    14:32 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

they're only continuing it with Ishihara's rules as their way of saying "forgive us for making strike witches" since Japan is a society of "listening (and obeying) to your elders" its no surprise studios are caving in to the Ishihara's agenda

honestly speaking though I do not agree with that mentality whatsoever I am simply stating an observation from what I have noticed in relation to the news articles posted so I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong for if said observations are true that would mean Japan (or Tokyo atleast) is more of an Oligarchy rather than as the democracy they claim to be

define: oligarchy

Comment by demonhaseo
    14:10 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

While I don't remember much of Last Exile (Only what I remember seeing on Anime unleashed back when G4 was TechTV) but It was nice... but if Ishihara's rules are going to apply to it then this new one's going down hill fast in my eyes already.

Where's the Lynette, she's got a new Neuroi (Ishihara) to snipe.
    -.-

Ishihara's a bastard! but the policy that applies is basicly an ecchi censorship. The Original Last Exile wasn't Ecchi at all (The Tatiana wearing Claus clothes was somewhat implying, but not ecchi). So quit getting so work up, Believe it or not, BUT not all anime contains something to Fap to.

15:26 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

People only care about anime with fanservice, duh.

Last Exile... actually, it wasn't that good at all, plot-wise and other stuff-wise, a typical mediocre "gonzo-style" show. If not for athmosphere and Murata's designs, it'd be a total failure.

16:11 02/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

Now, K-ON supports Ishihara too.
    Anime Contents Expo will be over.

15:05 02/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

It looks like incentive based production. It's no secret that many governments all over the world offer incentive for releasing products that conform to a narrow defined sense of acceptable content. Off the top of my head companies that currently partake in this regularly: Studio Ghibli, Disney, Pixar, and Nintendo. Last Exile is the perfect candidate for an incentive from Ishihara's regime, there really is no content that is extreme within it's presented context. Sadly Ishihara isn't offering incentives as much as ultimatums; I call this sad because incentive based production has proven itself effective all over the world for a few decades.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    13:27 02/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

Oh boy, here we go...

Comment by LanSlyde
    13:31 02/02/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Somehow I knew you were gonna throw out something like this yoshi.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    15:39 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

ESP?

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    17:21 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Phew.. *removes tinfoil cap*

Comment by LanSlyde
    15:53 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

My sage senses never fail me.

Comment by giascle
    13:31 02/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Thank you for the completely useful post.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    17:20 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It seems "Sore demo Machi wa Mawatteiruu", "K-ON!!" & "Yumekui Merry" will join Last Exile at TAF too.

Comment by NakkiNyan
    19:14 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I would laugh if that happened, I can't even imagine what he would say so it would be quite epic.

Comment by PewPewPew!
    18:28 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Imagine the irony IF Gonzo decides to animate one of Ishihara's "novels" and it bypasses the new law criteria...

18:26 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh So what do these anime do over there?

Comment by Chiaki H
    13:02 03/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

With any luck, we'll see Gonzo animating Japan's latest foray in "don't hate us" propaganda.

Comment by shoranhimura
    13:36 02/02/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

It amazes me sometimes how japanese companies reinvent suicide protocols so many times in so many different ways...

Comment by Peter Barton
    13:36 02/02/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

Last Exile was awesome, though I do hope the writing is better this time around.

Comment by Kyon

Think with me, the original show was made when Gonzo was know for its good series such as Blue Submarine n°6 and Saikano, was not driven into bankruptcy yet, and did not support crazy ol'man Ishihara...
    That said, I guess it will take extra effort and real passion from the producers, animators and writers, to keep the show as good as the original.

Do you Really... Really think they'll give two damn about good writing?

This is like churning out a quick sequel to a financially (though not critically) succesful Final Fantasy game in the hopes of taking in some quick bucks without having to rework all the source material for an entirely new setting and story.

Personally, all I can think of is...

Goodbye Gonzo. Goodbye. I won't be there at your funeral.