Sony Announces “NGP” PSP2 & PSP for Smartphones

ngp-psp2-1

Sony has announced its successor to the PSP, the “Next Generation Portable,” as well as the distribution of PSP games over smartphones and similar mobile devices.

The “NGP” (this is presumed to be an annoying marketing alias to be discarded for the expected “PSP2” later on) boasts a 5 inch 960×544 “high resolution” display along with 3G (requiring a contract with a mobile phone provider), wifi, GPS and USB, all in an impressively thin package.

ngp-psp2-2
ngp-psp2-3
ngp-psp2-4
ngp-psp2-5
ngp-psp2-6

Aside from the presence of near standard PlayStation controls, the device also features a touch panel control system on the rear, and the now standard motion sensor.

Supposedly the unit is “equal” to a PS3, although the constraints of battery life and storage capacity likely mean this is a significant overstatement at the very least.

In proper Sony style, the unit has also “borrowed” yet another idea from Nintendo – it will feature a “LiveArea” system to allow users to network with other PSP2 users in their vicinity, allowing for easy match-ups.

A 2011 Christmas launch is expected, with an array of established PlayStation franchises announced as providing stripped down exclusives.

ngp-psp2-7

Sony’s other major portable announcement is the “PlayStation Suite,” essentially a PSP emulator for Android smartphones, touted as a “hardware neutral game framework” (although an iOS version is notably absent).

Save for devout Sony fans, enthusiasm for the releases appears likely to be muted – the PSP2 represents the bare minimum which could expected of an update to the obsolete PSP platform, and looks set to face very stiff competition from the 3DS (assuming it doesn’t cause blindness after all) and other mobile devices, whilst distributing PSP games on smartphones only serves to highlight how primitive the PSP is compared to what these phones are capable of.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    17:08 27/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

This NGP better amaze us.

Comment by Candy
    18:24 27/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Nintendo Gaming Port? I can't believe Sony is using the "N" word here. Nonetheless, This thing looks pretty sexy.

Comment by Rough
    03:21 28/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.5)

NGP - Nintendo got pwnd.

09:47 01/02/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ha! If you count "RIPPED OFF" "PWND" Then yes they did. People rip each other off but sony? They have made an art Off of Ripping People off. Also really? Near ps3 graphics? considering the ps3 was about a months rent at release (and just sat there a year and a half later till anything playable was on it) and also considering all the other specs we are talking about a 300-350 (you could buy a 360 with that money or a wii and 2-3 games) dollar HANDHELD console and I am very sure that in this kind of recession no one (but fanboys)will be willing to throw that money to shit.

01:20 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

N letter.

06:54 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

no good portable

17:24 27/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.7)

it will once its hacked

Comment by Riiku
    05:00 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yeah, I'll postpone my purchase of PSP2 until it gets obsolete. Then I can buy it cheap and pirate the shit out of it. Just what I'm about to do with PSP actually.

Comment by Taiga-sama
    00:24 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"2011 christmas expected" - lolwut ? I expect it too see around June - August but never guess it will be that long ! shite ...

Comment by BlaqCat
    06:26 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm not surprised that they're releasing it around Christmas. However, the visuals and abilities of this thing better be damn good. Don't really see the need for a motion sensor to start with...

21:23 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The hardware on this portable device ais amzing! but not the battery life `"(-A-)"`

22:30 27/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

NGP ?

Neo Geo Pocket ?

Think harder, Sony.

18:33 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What I want to know, is can it play PS2 games?

21:46 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The other question would be, will there be Monster Hunter on it???

19:04 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No automatically unless the devs make it especially for psp2. There's only 2 shoulder buttons!

19:20 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the touch pads at the back make for additional shoulder buttons.

19:01 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

and how would u exactly play it? ... -_-;;

19:24 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a whole ton of ps2 games that I purchased over the years. It would be great to say put that into an iso (just like ps1 to psp) and play them on the psp2.

There are still so many rpgs to catch up on, but I move around a lot, and cant bring a tv and a ps2 wherever I go.

19:11 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Obviously just like you play Playstation games on the PSP. You either download it from PSN or wait till it's hacked and rip your own dvds and put them on the PSP2.

18:20 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It looks like PFP from TWGOK...

18:40 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Then it is worth of buying for the sake of Conquering Maidens

Comment by TEH DEVIL
    17:57 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

rember everyone, wait for atleast a year for the slim version and the original price to be cut in half

18:23 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't follow your logic.

Why buy an iPod if you know Apple is going to release a new and better model in the fall?

Why buy a smartphone when you know better ones will be coming out later?

Why buy a new TV now when a year later it'll be half the price?

If you use this mindset, you'll never get anything because you keep waiting for something better or a price reduction.

18:55 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

fist batch sometime have problem

18:17 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

2 analog sticks? brb buyan

Comment by toshironikko
    07:48 29/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The touch screen on the NGP is like the I-pad/I-phone/anything else with I- in front of it. Its most likely gonna be used mostly for those games you already have on those I-products. The one on the back however seems intersting.

Comment by Ota-Kool
    04:21 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't understand the specs or what's the different but I only wish its graphic is in par with PS3 or else get lost sony.

20:40 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact is like a genius. He keeps us coming back :D

13:59 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Incoming Aya news in 3, 2, 1...

Comment by dante0397
    20:41 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

So I heard level-5 is developing for the NGP, they better be making mah goddamn rogue galaxy 2!

Comment by SpideyPHL
    02:45 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Although 3DS does have a neat gimmick, this seems like something I'd spend more time playing. After all, for whatever reason Japanese developers seem to be favoring the PSP over real consoles lately, so there might be a good lineup. I was pretty disappointed with the 3DS lineup at launch, and the battery life is apparently comparable according to the other post, so I'd prefer this.

Also, the PSP emulator makes my PSP obsolete it seems, since I have a spiffy new G2 it should play those games without me needing extra pocket space.

03:16 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I really like the two analoge sticks. The two shoulder buttons are also a improvement. It's basically a Dualshock controller with a screen on it now. Combine that with the power of the PS3, and it could be a pretty cool handheld.

10:45 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Dear Sony,

You need to take over Comcast so we can enjoy some quality internet speed in the USA.

Comment by The REAL Lamberto
    19:34 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I can see it now: God of War III for NGP/PSP2!

Comment by lenyek_penyek
    19:24 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If only the size is smaller, I would seriously consider to spend my money on this......

as usual, I'll wait for a slim one 1-2 years after its release(hopefully)

11:14 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought I read on one of these previous articles that Sony wasn't going to make another handheld for another 10 years lol

06:01 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If there are complaints with the name "NGP," then please refer back to Project Natal.

20:19 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

really...after months of wondering what it looks like its just a bloody redesign of the psp with 2 sticks

00:09 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

What is it with Sony and failure?

Although I don't plan on selling my PSP-1000, I have about 12 or so UMD games.

If by some horrible twist of fate where I'm no longer able to play UMD games anymore and I can't buy a UMD playing PSP anymore, am I quite honestly expected to rebuy all of these games and fit them on a laughable 16GB memory card?

Sorry, but this isn't going to work...

Comment by Setsuna Toshirou
    23:10 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Get the hell out of here >.> I will be able to afford this in at last couple years after release...

Comment by Immir
    00:13 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder if they will keep making the PSP 3000 for a bit. I have too much money invested in VN's on UMD to be much interested now. Seems like there is much more popularity for UMD in Japan as there are many new releases coming out, like Oreimo Portable this month. If nothing else give us a UMD reader.

01:30 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Its got a second analog finally. Thats all i care about.

01:12 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

if its hacked then sure why not cash it in but if not im sticking to my psp 3000

Comment by Metroidzard
    00:28 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But does it play Patapon?

04:10 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

lol thats the question that'll decide its fate

01:30 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Its got a second analog finally. Thats all i care about.

22:51 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

It is necessary to translate it - Russian:
    Это надо перевести:

Меня зовут Александр Севрюк.
    Я Вас поздравляю с показом NGP
    Мы из России ...то же следим за прогрессом:)))
    Видео демонстрация : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpMsiAITnao
    Спецификация: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkzyrE4F5PE
    Геймплей: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4HF67il9m8
    Скорей всего это демонстрация возможностей в играх,максимальное что можно извлечь от NGP ещё узнаем -впереди :))) !!!А ,альтернатива по любому есть в управление,те же прыжки,толчки,удары и т.п, можно заменить классическим управлением -двумя аналог-джойстиками и кнопками...
    Ну как то так :)))....
    Вот здесь ВИДЕО , более подробнее об играх поддерживающий все примочки NGP : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3EloCX9hy8
    Ставьте разрешение 720p....
    Всем привет из РОССИИ

Comment by Yourtime
    01:14 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

hm its interesting, specially becuase of the playstation suite for android. I hope for apple they are doing something with them too, because if the don't, they will lose against android instantly.. in the future :/

09:27 28/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah, gonna wait until they release a better version that will no doubt happen. Until I see some kickass games and a price, I ain't getting jack.

22:41 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Touch interface at the back? I wonder if this would run afoul of a patent Apple applied for, for a similar idea (screen front, touch back).

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220070103454%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20070103454&RS=DN/20070103454 [http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1="20070103454".PGNR.&OS=DN/20070103454&RS=DN/20070103454]

[What a spammy URL that looks like. Way to go, USPTO!]

22:32 27/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

2 Analog sticks.

THANKS YOU. FINALLY.

Everything else > meh. It'll take more than that to make me give up my trusty slim, Sony!