Minister: “Criminals Die Anyway, So Why Execute Them?”

satsuki-eda.jpg

Japan’s Minister of Justice has developed a novel argument against the death penalty – criminals die anyway, so why kill them?

In public comments Satsuki Eda, a former lawyer and Japan’s current Justice Minister, described his innovative new argument against the death penalty:

The death penalty has many flaws.

Humans eventually die. Why should we rush to execute them?

He went on to indicate he would be “studying” the future application of the death penalty.

The death penalty in Japan is generally only sought against serial killers, and the executions themselves (conducted by hanging) must be personally authorised by the minister, with an average of 5 executions a year and a 7 year wait on death row.

Online his arguments were ridiculed:

“If people die anyway, what’s the problem with murdering them?”

“Murder’s hardly a crime if they’re just going die sometime, isn’t it?”

“A schoolboy-level opinion…”

“The victim’s bereaved families can hardly rest in peace if they die before the killer.”

“Death from natural causes and the death penalty are completely different things. What an idiot.”

“If people are just going to die anyway we might as well execute them now!”

“I’d expect this sort of talk from one of those guys with mohicans in Fist of the North Star, not from our Minister of Justice…”

“What’s the point of a law abiding country if everyone is just going to die anyway?”

“How can he say something like this? What he thinks is his own business, but surely he can realise what the reaction will be if he says this sort of thing in that office?”

“If you oppose the death penalty, change the law already.”

“I oppose the death penalty, but I can’t agree with his statement. In fact, I wish he’d shut up as his infantile statements are actually damaging the position of abolitionists.”

“Robber: ‘It’ll be used anyway, so I might as well steal it.'”

“Irrespective of whether the death penalty is just or not, for an idiot who can only think of these pathetically shallow objections to become Japan’s Minister of Justic is truly despair inducing.”

Comment by Th3St1g
    23:22 16/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Gosh, first Ishihara and now this, it seems like the Japanese Government is truly full of idiots.

Rapist: She will be fucked anyway, so I might as well pop her cherry first.

01:16 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

"Rapist: She will be fucked anyway, so I might as well pop her cherry first."

To be fair, that's not necessarily true. Everybody dies, but not everybody has sex.

03:34 17/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

don't go stepping on peoples hopes , please ?

08:29 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm... you're going to learn logic, so why explain it? Well, because I can.

The Justice Minister's argument can be summed up as... don't do something that will happen eventually.

Your cherry pop rape statement can be summed up as... do something that will happen eventually.

Notice the difference?

The Justice Minister's argument doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. He probably just said it so that he has something to say.

Despite that, please try to use the correct logic...

08:11 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, your last statement is a complete inversion of his logic.

05:05 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Your reasoning is totally retarded.

I agree that the ministers is not really good as well, but only the most primitive countries have death penalties. It's not about justice but about revenge and a justice system that endorses revenge just shows how fucked up those people must be.

Recently many people have been released after very long stays on death row because new DNA evidence was found that proved them to be innocent. In japan quite a few were released after 10-20 or more years in prison because the new evidence proved them to be innocent.

But what about the people that were executed wrongfully ? What is the difference between a murderer and a state that willingly and knowingly executes innocent people ? That's not justice but extreme barbarism and the countries where this kind of madness is taking place shoud be ashamed !

Death penalty needs to go !

Comment by King Tiger
    23:29 16/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the minister is a fucking pansy :V

Comment by Seravee
    23:30 16/01/2011 # ! Quality (+1.0)

People die when they are killed?

23:32 16/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.9)

No, you are already dead

Comment by Artefact

Murderers who hold themselves above sex criminals are in many respects far worse than the people they persecute in jail.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    00:00 17/01/2011 # ! Quality (+0.8)

"Why should we rush to execute them?"

Cause the Devil is waiting... (屮゚Д゚)

23:46 16/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

"Lolis will grow up anyway, so might as well do 'em now"

Hahaha what a gimp..

I personally think the victim's family should have some say in what punishment a criminal receives, within reason..

00:48 17/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

Yes, they're going to die eventually anyway so why not just execute them? >.>

00:13 17/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

The Devil's gotta earn his daily quota.

23:35 16/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.6)

I wouldn't die even if you killed me

09:37 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Only a retarded idiot would think sex molestors should get the death penalty.

Comment by King Tiger
    05:41 17/01/2011 # ! Good (+0.4)

@ Artefact

I agree because those are the most dangerous
    those kinds of killers live their lives regretting nothing for their actions I say waste'em

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    01:00 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@Seravee and Anon23:32
    omg,was watching Fate and Hokuto no Ken

11:08 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If I discovered a way to inflict the utter pain, terror and agony of those victims on the bastards who did the horrid deed, That would be the best way to end the argument right? But I and all of us can NOT do this.

Comment by Seil
    21:48 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

it's been a long time since i had such a good laugh. XD but yes, it's truly despairing japan's minister is filled with em. but i guess since it's gonna be filled with idiots at anytime in the future, so why not now.

Comment by wuhugm
    23:05 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ahhh, I'm hungry wanna eat but I'll be hungry again soon, let's not eat, fuck it, I'm eating, hmm, I'm full, but since I'm gonna be hungry again anyway, let's eat, Ooo, I'm really full, since I'll be full again anyway, let's eat, since I'll eat again anyway, let's eat, hmm or let's not eat, anyway I'm full now so let's eat

11:07 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

MURDERERS should be killed (not Murdered) and thus removed from society permanently. For those who put up strawmen arguments and declare that YOU should be the one with a gun to MURDER them are utter fools in denial.

11:06 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Men&Women who Rape females / males should be neutered~ That's the real and only way outside of death. Afterward; Most would calm down when they're Lobotomized.

Comment by Elc
    11:00 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

did the Japanese government just discover "Troll Physics"? because it seems like they practice it like fanatics at this point...

Comment by John Hayabusa
    23:40 16/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

“I oppose the death penalty, but I can’t agree with his statement. In fact, I wish he’d shut up as his infantile statements are actually damaging the position of abolitionists"

Couldn't agree more. I would say the same thing to Ishihara and his sad ban.

@Unsung Not just only the minister, but the entire government as well.

02:06 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.1)

I've a relative who is a serial molester(i know not murder) who prey on 6-15 yrs old children. He was send to jail for a few years.
    When he was release, we thought he learn to be good. But he strike again for other poor kids. Now back in jail for more years and will come out again.

I hope he was sentence to death for the 1st time so he wouldn't have 2nd chance to harm others.

If you are the parents of these poor children, would you hope the government sentence him to death or keep him? Why keep these people around and risk harming others.

01:00 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the scenario puts me in mind of death note

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    09:44 18/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This guy is a fucking idiot of the highest degree but I won't beat a dead horse here...

On the whole situation though, If the person is labeled dangerous, I say an execution the is inevitable course of action to take but some people could be framed or falsely accused...That is too bad & in those controversial situation only would I think of life in prison over death cause I wouldn't want them to get out & commit again, they have rights but I have to worry about my well being as well...

As for any other type of criminal, the death sentence is too harse for them but a different kind of punishment needs to be created for those kind of people aside from jail time which they can easily get bail for unless they get life in which case, that will do just fine as they can't get out to commit another crime of their choosing...

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    09:44 18/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"I can see your death...." penalty...

The courts that sentence those jailbirds are running on tawpayers's money.
    These jailbirds are living off on taxpayers' money.
    Execute them may lower our taxes.

I know some of them work in jail but is it enough the cover the cost of water, electricity, salary of prison guards that supervise them.

We have too many people on earth.
    Let execute these criminals to lighten the world bundens.

Human rights (rights for them to live on) is endangering our world and our taxpayers money.

My father went to jail for my mother's stupidity... What he saw made him smile. He witnessed a child molester get beaten possibly to death by other inmates who had children on the outside. Too bad that's not the case huh?

Comment by Majineko
    01:35 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

what he should be saying is, why execute them when you can make money off them. take there lives, but no need to execute. use em for labor, or other things to help the country.

i guess only problem with that idea is that the government might take advantage and increase punishment on small sentences

Who the FUCK are you defending here? The Murdered or the MURDERER here? Fucktards all~

I can see this as new material for future guro works of the lulzy guro artist known as Shintaro Kago.

Something really wrong in this discussion.
    True they did wrong, but that's not an excuse to sentence them to death.

About the tax part, do you really think at the current state they will lower the tax if there are no people in jail?

I end with a little question.
    Will you go pull the trigger or whatever initialize a death machine? Will you live without remorse, even if it was someone who did wrong?

19:13 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the main argument against the death penalty or cruel and unusual punishment, is what if the person is innocent. i say, how about we take the opposite and say, if the person is guilty beyond even unreasonable doubt, then they get the worst punishment ever conceived or at least denied final meals and nothing but rocky dirt to sleep on and poop on. i mean some murders live life better off than half the third world.

19:09 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i still think that they should give prisoners ridiculously dangerous jobs that normal people might have to do. like washing the windows outside the empire state building with no harnesses. or do that deadliest catch show, except there's no railings on the boat and everything is criscoed down and iced over.

I oppose the death penalty but not for the reasons above I think getting killed and its over vs sitting and suffering for actions for 50 sometimes longer years is a far more harsh punishment

01:45 18/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

no one hurt in hentai, so why ban it

15:13 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This should replace the title.

01:16 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

No, I think I agree with him. Even if u kill the murderer, your loved ones won't be coming back. In fact it's too good for the murderer to be killed instantly. Why not put him in jail and make sure he lives like hell there: torture him everyday, make him do forced labor, give insect, cockroach and shit for his meal everyday, and imagine that this murderer will live 30-50 years for the rest of his life like a garbage and full of misery... heh heh heh.... this sound a LOT better to me (grin)

Comment by U.N.Owen
    03:32 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed, there are things worse than a quick and humane death. And nobody said you had to spend any resources supporting them anyway. But to be fair, the punishment should be proportionate to the crime.

Why? Because you end up paying $$$$ to keep someone in jail? Granted the costs are probably different in Japan, but on average in the US It costs up to 30~k per year per prisoner in jail from the last stats I saw. I'd rather just kill a serial murderer off and be done with it instead of spending millions to keep them in jail pointlessly.

Comment by Fred
    02:30 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

People die anyway, so why the rush to capture their murderers? Think of how much we could save on the incarceration of criminals!

*blink*
    *awkward silence*
    *blink*

...I like the death penalty because I'm an impatient man and want to make sure those monsters die before me.
    In the fast paced world of today we need to make sure murders die even faster than before!

To this I propose we shoot them, with bullets!

NO! Suicide booths like in Futurama!

02:34 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yep, this guy is truly an idiot.. I think he's getting senile in his old years

17:53 20/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You're the idiot faggot

Comment by Dark Mage
    03:12 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I have mixed feelings on the death penalty some people deserve to be killed." I prefer the method of 1500 volts at 50 amps." But unfortunately the government does make mistakes and sometimes kills an innocent person.
    The Japanese legal system with it's nearly 100% conviction rate does make me wonder how many innocent people get wrongly sentenced but they don't execute very many people.
    I'm sure Texas alone does more wrongful executions then all of japan since executed 24 people last year.

Comment by deladieri
    23:31 16/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Well a government is a representation of its people...

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    23:51 16/01/2011 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

So he'd rather have these excuses-for-a-human-being, chill out in prison, with daily meals under a roof thanks to taxpayer funds, till they're dying days, even if they're "convicted" serial killers?

Fuck, lets give this guy and serial killers the medal.

Meanwhile, let's inform the grieving parents/relatives/loved ones know their tax is STILL providing them a comfortable life in prison.

Comment by John Doe
    03:53 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But this is just it. I cannot get your a source but I've read somewhere that death penalty doesn't reduce the costs. It actually is cheaper to have them rot away in a prison then to execute them.

Also their deaths won't make them feel better. The loved ones they killed are gone and nothing is going to change that.

Also somehow to me it seems being locked away somewhere for 40+ years potentially is worse punishment then having them killed anyway.

15:39 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

TBH, I doubt hanging is as expensive as say, the chemical death used in many US of A states.

Besides, there's a cheaper method, simply stop feeding them. ^^

Comment by Dorchadas
    15:22 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You are correct--the death penalty is more expensive, primarily because of the appeals process.

I know people are going to say "LOL BAN APPEALS LOL" but the point of allowing so many appeals is to make sure that no innocent gets executed. And even so, look at all the people who are exonerated years later on DNA evidence.

Bottom line is that human memory sucks and the death penalty is unjust because if we're wrong about someone being guilty we can't resurrect them and then let them go. Life imprisonment, we don't need to worry about that happening.

Comment by Pyrus
    00:14 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe he's in favor of chain gangs for life where the criminal is sentenced to hard labor chained to fellow inmates, breaking rocks or whatever, from the time of imprisonment until death.
    Or he could be old school as in: Thro' 'im in a dark pit and forget he's there until he dies.

What they should do rather then killing them is put them in isolation. They would be put in sound proof rooms without any kind of contact and nothing else for the rest of their lives. This would be much more of a punishment then killing them.

@Seravee: In English it sounds hilarious, but Japanese being different as it is, it may make better sense.

01:37 17/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

人間はいつかどうせ死ぬんだから、別に死刑執行しなくてもいい気がする」—江田法相

Nope, still sounds naive and silly to me. And there seems to be a bunch of natives who share my opinion (see article).