Those aspiring to make interesting conversation with the Japanese (or at the very least hoping to avoid boring them to tears in a conversation they are too polite to end) might do well to consult the following ranking of the top 10 most boring topics of conversation to Japanese ears.
The ranking (with votes cast for each in brackets):
1. Bragging about themselves (5,237)
2. Waffling about somebody you don’t even know (2,553)
3. Babbling about some geeky hobby (1,633)
4. Moaning about something or other (1,553)
5. Blathering about politics or business (1,080)
6. Going on about a show you haven’t even seen (837)
7. Preaching on about some spiritual claptrap (564)
8. Gossiping about showbiz stuff (405)
9. Prattling about their work (316)
10. Going on about their family (278)
In light of these results it might be wise to brush up on the latest Aya Hirano gossip – ideal for NEETs and hikikomori with no job or family to speak of.