William Gibson: “Hatsune Miku Requires Further Study”

hatsune-miku-by-kunieda

William Gibson, father of cyberpunk, seems not have been immune to the wiles of the world’s foremost holographic princess after all – he concedes he must study her further.

Gibson tweets thus:

Hatsune Miku is clearly a more complex phenomenon than I initially assumed. Requires further study.

Just what prompted this change of heart can only be guessed at, but it is difficult to deny Miku’s status as the totem for an emergent community of creators and fans places her on a quite different footing to the mere CG marketing avatars other virtual idols constitute.

For those so inclined, William Gibson maintains a Twitter account under the handle of “GreatDismal,” and there is always Sankaku Complex’s Twitter account for those not.

Comment by awesome
    10:02 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.9)

he probably got spammed with hate mail
    so he was forced to change his statement :D

Comment by King Tiger
    10:10 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.9)

sounds like he found the "other" pics of miku that can be found on the channel can't blame his change of heart though

in the end ALL SHALL SUCCUMB TO THE VOCALOID EMPIRE ALL HAIL GENERAL HATSUNE!

Comment by Duolis
    15:23 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

He found out Miku wears shimapan.

Comment by Megidola
    10:15 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

By "more complex phenomenon" he means he found Miku hentai.

By "requires further study" he means... well, you can probably guess the rest

Comment by YakomoFujikawa
    10:25 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I take it the Polish Leeks paid off after all....lol

Comment by TNinja
    10:26 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I would study her all day long alright.

Comment by DP
    10:40 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

And not just for one day.

16:10 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"Hatsune Miku requires further study"
    (locks door)
    *fapfapfap

Comment by Bond Travolta
    23:53 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Or maybe Gibson is just a tsundere.

Comment by John Hayabusa
    22:14 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Good to hear Mr. Gibson changing his view about Miku a bit. If he was actually fapping over Miku way before he criticized her, he's making a fool out of himself.

20:15 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

I... need to... study her further!
    Give 10 minutes with the body... ALONE!

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    02:38 20/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Resisting Miku's moe-ness is futile...

Comment by toyNN
    13:33 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Gibson - conquest level 1 completed, level 2 begin....Miku is bored..is Russia close to falling?

20:55 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@YakomoFujikawa better have a polish leek ready just in case.

I was seduced by the idea that Miku was 100% artificial and was blown away by that...
    _
    To my sadness in discovering that it was Not the Truth! Her voice -like the rest of the Entire "digital" brood- where samplings of REAL people~
    _
    I can understand Gibsons' original twit on this subject since he's looking for and Actual Artificial Creation of a REAL human being rather then a mock-up cartoon (I'm doubtful he's too aware of Anime and its ilk) on the concert stage

17:23 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

HAIL TO THE GREAT HATSUNE EMPIRE!!!

@anon10:10 >>in the end ALL SHALL SUCCUMB TO THE VOCALOID EMPIRE ALL HAIL GENERAL HATSUNE!

It's fans like you that make me ashamed to be associated with Miku.

Comment by alex251
    18:12 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

he probably isn't even a fan, just wanted to troll

Comment by คภєк๏
    13:04 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It wasn't an Anonymous who said that. Your reading comprehension may be as deficient as your sense of humor.

20:51 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

It's anons like you that make me downvote. :)

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    02:39 20/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

same here

Comment by Gitami
    18:09 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I hope he didn't change his mind because of hate mail but actual interest.

Also source on awesome's avatar.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    18:24 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

The tweet replies he got were largely of the informative type. He was merely informed on how it really is.

Miku's emergence is so complex and touches upon so many aspects of idol-hood in both real life and in the videogaming sense to user-created music/dance content, one can write a whole book about it.

It is pretty understandable he wouldn't 'get' Miku at a glance. Especially if he was turned off by the 'anime' look. A lot of anime/manga/game outsiders say stuff like that until they delve deeper. It's perfectly understandable.

18:16 20/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

that or he was infected by the mikumiku virus

08:31 20/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why must it be hate ?
    Maybe he just saw the light.

Comment by Imyou
    13:01 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

True, but that probably only cements the negative otaku reputation as a bunch of overreactive fanatics. :/

Comment by Anonynous
    13:10 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Judging from the replies of the Miku fans from this and those other articles, that reputation is well founded.

21:41 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Try getting a sense of humor, Anonynous, and see what happens.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:30 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

All I want to hear from him is to stop it with the typical 'I don't like the anime' look as some kind of an objective look at Hatsune Miku. That is what we call purely hinged on subjectivity/opinion. That's not something to logically dissect. If he doesn't like the anime style, then he should keep it to himself instead of trying to push it out as something intrinsically valid in of itself without any logical explanation why.

17:35 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Keep it to himself? So he should just say "I don't like her"?

I love how you get all offended over someone just not liking the art style traditionally used in anime, and try to come up with some smart sounding argument to convince yourself you're not just being an illogical fanboy.

He's allowed to not like how anime art looks, bro.

18:33 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

o my god giving me nightmares about philosophy of science class

04:43 20/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

But he wasn't making an argument -.-; He was just giving his opinion, on *twitter* no less. Don't tell me you'd call this: "Hatsune Miku doesn't really rock me. I want higher rez, less anime." anything other than a personal opinion.

21:04 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So he's not allowed to have his opinion on twitter?

02:11 21/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just because he said she should look "less anime" doesn't mean he hates anime. It was two words on a service that restricts messages to a limit of 140 characters. It's impossible to express complex ideas with such restrictions, so they need to be shortened and simplified. It's incredibly ignorant to assume that you understand exactly what Gibson thinks of the entire genre of anime based on a single Twitter comment. And ironic, since ignorance is what you're accusing him of.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    22:35 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's precisely what I didn't say, but thanks for misconstruing it. It's fine if he holds it as his own opinion. If he's stuck on the anime styling alone, then I'm just afraid his argument hits the subjectivity brick wall.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    17:42 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Way to miss my point. I'm saying, his OPINIONS are valid. But they're not some empirical reasoning or some objective reasoning. You can't mix subjectivity with objectivity. It is THAT simple.

Whenever I hear people say "I don't like the anime look", that's fine. That's their opinion. But how the hell is that some kind of intrinsic falsehood of something just because it has an anime look?

You can't ever explain that in some kind of a scientific deduction. Because it is merely an opinion about an artstyle.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    14:56 20/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Fair enough anon. I was kinda going off the tangent there, because I hear the 'because it's anime' excuse a thousand times as a valid excuse to be wary of that culture.

Comment by Fapping Time
    13:35 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

on your knees non-believer...

10:39 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.8)

I would guess right now he is canceling his Playboy subscription as he has found out that 2-D performers are much better than 3-D ones, after he uses up about 10 more boxes of Kleenex he will report back that no one can touch her, but HIM.

Yeah, about that, you see, surfaces and all, Miku is very much 3D. More so than you and me, in fact.

Comment by VVayfarer
    01:51 20/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

While we are 3D to 4D (or 21D or whatever), Miku is 2D except when she's 2.5D - as the hologram.

Comment by prinnyprince
    10:02 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

William Gibson is clearly a more complex individual than I initially assumed. Requires further study.

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    10:27 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.7)

"Requires further study."

I hope he includes reading that Hatsune Miku futanari doujin by Behind Moon called "My Mic" so he can see how she got into the virtual idol business...

Hentai aside, I hope he listens to all her songs from the days she debuted to her songs made by fans around the world...

"The World is Mine"

"Po Pi Po ~ Vegetable Juice Dance

"Love is War"

"Stargazer"

And many other songs that Miku has sung...

Soon, he will be one of us...

The Leek shall claim him...

@megidola

Heh...That's usually the case~

I hope he 'studies' Miku a lot...

Comment by Megidola
    11:30 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

lol I think I've read that doujin before, and it was quite...imaginative

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    02:44 20/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

@megidola:yea...pretty imaginative

12:06 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There are better songs than Po Pi Po, like Hello World and Aquarium of the Sky.

Comment by Superior_to_you
    10:11 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

He's definitely more complex than 99% of Miku fans.

Comment by soymilk
    11:22 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.3)

Why are people down-voting this??!

I agree. Freaking Type B's

Comment by Vulcan
    12:34 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's hopeless man, we can't overtake the empire of stupidity called type B's.

Comment by soymilk
    20:07 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Some of the comments really make my blood boil. Where even the slightest hint of criticism is brushed off as 'hating' and a renowned author who virtually created (or at the least popularised and influenced for generations to come) a whole freaking genre is called an idiot because he's not hopelessly enthralled by an almost-virtual idol.

I used to be proud to be an otaku, but all these type Bs make me ashamed.

Comment by rs