Top 10 Marriage Destroying Remarks

shukufuku-no-campanella-by-kocha

Japanese asked what remarks they think most likely to instigate an immediate quarrel between husband and wife provide some classic and most probably universal lines.

The ranking for a wife’s utterances to her husband:

1. ***’s husband’s earnings seem really high

2. Why haven’t you had a single pay rise?

3. ***’s husband always does it properly

4. I’m more tired!

5. You’re so insensitive

6. It’s easy being a guy and not having to do the housework, isn’t it?

7. I’m working as well!

8. Are you doing your job properly?

9. You’re going drinking, again!?

10. Bringing up the kids is a husband’s responsibility

Unsurprisingly, a list dominated by remarks accusing a husband of not providing materially for his family (or more accurately, wife) – a very traditional cause of matrimonial conflict indeed.

The ranking for a husband’s utterances to his wife:

1. Being a housewife is real easy, isn’t it?

2. Remember who puts the food on your table!

3. I’m working

4. Bringing up the kids is a wife’s responsibility

5. I’m more tired!

6. My mother always cooked this properly for me

7. If you’re at home then at least do the chores properly

8. You’re so insensitive

9. I’m busy with work

10. Is that all you cooked to go with this?

For women it appears a man denigrating her housekeeping is just as galling.

Comment by Guangyu Zhao
    05:59 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

As an otaku these conversations seem so far away...

Comment by Gogetters
    05:54 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

What!? No otaku related remarks!?

Comment by Megidola
    06:11 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

#1 "I love Character X more than you"

Comment by Schrobby
    06:13 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Married otaku? There are not enough of them to have a informative remark voting.

Comment by Renzo
    10:16 20/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why go to as far as Guam ? Nextdoor house is ok I think

Comment by Megidola
    07:59 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Otaku can get married to their waifu, they just have to fly to Guam to do it.

Comment by 666
    06:14 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

And I just adore character "Y".
    I'm such a sexist.

Comment by BlaqCat
    06:13 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I was wondering about that as well. Not entirely surprised at the answers for this survey. Though (especially in light of current technology) the #1 comment from the men seems a HELL of a lot easier to take...

Comment by obro
    06:33 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Also no go back to the kitchen

i am dissapoint

Comment by Noodlestein
    05:54 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.9)

I don't even know what to say anymore, other than I'm glad I'm not married.

Comment by 666
    06:10 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.5)

Yeah...
    Later: "A lonely gaze to the dressed like Haruhi dutch wife."

Comment by Noodlestein
    07:36 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Just because you aren't married doesn't mean you don't have a woman. Just throwing that out there.

Comment by Duolis
    15:22 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh Tsurara, that lucky bastard Nura.

21:17 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sudo make me a sandwich

10:44 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

make me a sandwich

Comment by Schrobby
    06:13 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.7)

Life is harsh and unfair. lulz

Comment by Megidola
    06:33 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Sounds like the only thing worse than not being married is being married.

08:12 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

When you're poor you're NOT SUPPOSED TO GET FUCKING MARRIED.

OR HAVE KIDS.

People are doing it wrong. :|

08:38 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Women shouldn't compare menial housework to a man who works for 8-12 hours.

Comment by TNinja
    09:04 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"6. My mother always cooked this properly for me"

Really? This? I'm not sure what I think about this line.

08:57 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Wife: I'm more tired
    Husband: No, I'm more tired!
    WIFE: NO IM MORE TIRED
    HUSBAND: NOO IM WAAAAAAAAAAY MORE TIRED

*divorce

Comment by Stiltzkinator
    07:27 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Or living in a society where money isn't quite the deal breaker as it appears to be in Japan. Not that it isn't important elsewhere, but yeesh.

Comment by toyNN
    08:18 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Rich/poor has nothing to do with it - the coach always expects more from his/her players. Ie. you can always earn more, pay attention more, do-it better more, etc... Never ends.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    11:08 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

"6. My mother always cooked this properly for me"

Considering my own experience, if I get married (not likely), my wife will NEVER hear this...

Comment by Sandalphon
    09:42 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

6 seems reasonable enough to me. It's just as annoying as being compared to someone else's husband.

Also, the guy that says this probably wants a housekeeper/maid instead of a wife. I'm aware the roles of both are quite overlapped in Japan, but I doubt there are many people that can pay a woman enough money [by their salary standards] to be a maid/housekeeper.

In this sense, I suppose a wife is less expensive than a housekeeper since the former doesn't demand quite as much money for herself as the latter but instead commandeers the husband's salary........ oh forget it.

The more I try to set both wife and maid roles apart the more they seem exactly the same.

MAID>WIFE, at least in Japan.

06:53 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.5)

Of course it is, when your rich.

Comment by Miroku74
    13:02 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

A man doesn't know true happiness until he's finally married...

.... and by then it's entirely too late.

Comment by Thomus
    13:57 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

#11 honey, i think we need to talk about your "Skills"

06:49 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not really, being married is easier than people think.

20:34 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

why making so much fuss about food? Making food together is way more fun than blaming your wife for not/making bad dinner =)

00:54 20/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A relationship is about two people being together as equal individuals. If you can't see your partner as one, then something isn't right at the first place.

The best things in life are rare and requires lots of efforts. If people are not able to put through hard things together for years and stand other people's negative traits, then they can't just expect relationships to be just perfect without efforts.

Comment by alidan
    09:53 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sandalphon
    09:42

its comparing her, to a wife, who did a far better job of being a wife than she is.

the lazy bitch did all of what? how big are Japanese apartments? probably about as big as my whole living room, at least for average ones, the big ones in tokyo i know are smaller than my living room.

so the lazy bitch has to only clean that much every 3 days, make some food, and watch some tv.

if i was a guy who worked 8-12 hours minimum to support her, i sure as hell would be pissed if she skimped on the food.

Women are really the cancer of society nowdays...

08:04 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

The true is: the less new kids in the world = a LOT BETTER WORLD will born tomorrow!

No, this is not a joke, is REALITY!

Comment by 666
    08:47 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Oh, You think You're the first one who discovered demographic problems? But think about it this way: It's not my problem and I won't restrain my reproductive freedom. Because if You won't have any children some idiot will have. And he'll leave his defective genes for the future generations. Which means You'll be directly responsible for the stupidity of the future humanity.

08:45 19/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Wow what a lame comment.

It's so FASHIONABLE to hate humans now, because you yourself are too SELFISH and LAZY to wonder about the nature of others, that you think ALL humans are bad.

Nah, it just applies to you.

Comment by VVayfarer
    22:04 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

08:41

There's not much of a difference between the disappearance of mankind and the disappearance of the universe - as long as we're the only intelligent life-forms on the planet.

You care about 'Mother Earth' because you're human, because you have psychological complexes that make the concept of a 'Mother Earth' sound comforting.

In reality, this Earth doesn't appear to have any 'real' value, unlike people who might or might not have it. We assign values for things because they help survival, not because they actually have any.

From a pragmatic point-of-view, if only you and your family survived, you'd probably die pretty soon. If you actually could survive without society and its products and services, your quality of life would still plummet. Some or all of your family members would probably commit suicide. Sounds nice, huh?

On another note, you most likely have depression. I'd suggest improving your health and getting therapy. If you do both, it'll heal pretty quickly.

18:53 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon is with you! Like professor Destiny Nova from Gunm Last Order,we can seach how to manipulate atoms, and if we sucess, the future would be bright!

Comment by shiroki
    12:59 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fear not, we'll just destroy the world faster than we develop space travel, and then everyone will just be trapped in a nuclear ball and die. Natural selection is still working.

Comment by VVayfarer
    01:50 11/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

According to current understanding, yes - we're the only intelligent life-forms on this planet. If you want to argue philosophically, can you prove that 'earth' exists in reality, instead of just inside your mind?

Simply caring about the Earth doesn't equate to taking good care of it, nor does "YOU care about it because you're human" equate to "ALL PEOPLE care about it because they're human.

As for the values, I fail to see the contradiction. Nothing has any actual value - it's us that create the values in the first place.

Am I missing something here?

08:41 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with you. Humans destroying Mother Earth day by day. It's just better if humans just perish (except me and my family) for Earth's sake. I hate humans...

11:24 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Everything is renewable. The earth is, in fact, getting heavier. We'll find a way to eat meteor dust if we have to.

02:10 24/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@SOTER

How am I responsible for what an idiot does?

09:53 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Resources are finite. More human = less resources each human can get. Also, more human = more people looking for job. If there's not enough employer, then the market value of employees starts to drop.

02:18 24/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@VVayfarer

Can you Prove that human beings are the only intelligent life forms on this planet?
    Can you only tell by looking at the person next to you?

"You care about 'Mother Earth' because you're human"
    >If this was true, then why is the earth so fucked up today?

"We assign values for things because they help survival, not because they actually have any."
    What huge contradiction. If they had any, what exactly would they be? Aside from the ones we give them?

Comment by The Kiss
    09:23 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hater gotta hate... that's about it...

08:52 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, I'm not lazy or being ignorant about wondering the nature of others. I'm simply selfish and hate humans, that's it.

Oh, and I hate you too...

08:42 19/11/2010 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

Oh, forgot to say this. And I hate you too...

Comment by TheBeast
    08:49 19/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

they forgot the last one for the men to say to their wives
    "our money? you don't work..."

Comment by Renzo
    10:15 20/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Being married or not, I'm happy.That's it :3

02:09 21/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i´m missing
    "make me a sandwich"

Comment by Klingengeist
    21:41 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You only marry if you can afford a divorce.

An austrian friend told me they sell the complete package in Austria, both marriage and divorce together for the price of one. xD

07:36 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad that I am married
    [spoiler]to my 2D waifu[/spoiler]

Comment by DP
    07:59 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

We had an argument about nearly everything of the above. Seems a divorce is now unavoidable and I thought we are happily married. sigh

Comment by Shippoyasha
    09:01 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, arguments tends to happen between almost variables of two human beings, ever.

07:00 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The grape is too sour for you, I take it?

06:28 19/11/2010 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

I would rather say I'm glad I don't live in Japan!

Comment by Schrobby
    06:54 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

There are many worse places.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    03:49 20/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah. Go to Ciudad Juarez in Mexico. It's the hunting season. Prey? Civilians.

Comment by Homu Improvement
    08:40 19/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm pretty sure if you say any of these things to your spouse in most other countries it would result in the same way.