miqote-by-lionel-nakamura

The controversy surrounding the production of Final Fantasy XIV has further intensified with the news that Square Enix is seeking Chinese speakers to run the game’s servers.

Their Japanese recruiting site has posted new jobs – server, database, and network engineers for Final Fantasy XIV – and alongside the usual qualifications they stress the desirability of being able to speak Chinese, which has added to the suspicion that much of the development was outsourced to China:

square-enix-recruiting-1
square-enix-recruiting-2
square-enix-recruiting-3
square-enix-recruiting-4

Aside from the obvious conclusion about the language skills required, there are any number of questions being raised as to why Square Enix is only just starting to recruit critical system administrators after the game has actually been launched and not before.

07:03 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Kind of funny how many political science experts pop out of the woodwork in situations like this to point out how japan is kowtowing to china etc based on the actions of a private video game company.

No matter what the current political climate may be its just hilarious.

09:40 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.

How about you?

11:16 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fan wank Fan wank Fan wank...how the hell is this even a "controversy"?

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    12:01 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

squenix blew its wad with the unfortunate release of a CG movie that had NOTHING to do with its title. Close to $130 MILLION dollars(est) went into 'FF: the Spirits Within' and it walked away with a piss poor 32 mil out of America. Never mind the ENTIRE STUDIO they had to make on one of the most costliness lands in America >>>>Hawaii! By the By; that studio died unnoticed except for the creditors~ World wide it pulled in 85 million; but you have to take into account how it was sold in the world. I'd bet close to more than half of that went to other companies and NOT to square soft.

Whatever they're making now and since 2001, have been to crawl out of that sink-hole of stupidity.

Comment by Tenno Seremel
    11:19 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Weren't the recent news saying China is not your friend or something?

07:00 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Shouldn't the fact that they're looking for "critical system administrators after the game has actually been launched and not before" kind of be a hint toward your view of the story being a bit off?

Makes a whole lot more sense that they're looking to fill positions for something upcoming rather than for the existing game/servers.

06:59 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That sure is some damning evidence in those pictures there... i think...

Kind of hard to say anything about this "story" when 100% of the evidence for the argument is in a language you can't read.

07:40 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

At least we don't have to worry about China ripping off this game.

08:38 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Really, i mean it's china everything can happen there

seriously,
    who said that communism and capitalism can never get along?

Comment by Schrobby
    04:00 06/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

China is fashist, not communist, just like Russia.

11:13 06/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

U mean Fascist. It definitely isn't moron...

08:33 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ha! You're WAY to optimistic about their modesty.

12:22 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Geeezzz.... I don't know.....oh boy this is a hard one.... might they be recruiting technicians for the Chinese launch of the game? hmmmmm maybe?

12:23 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't you get it? Its a new way of attacking China, by making China's people into gaga gamers. Its either to get the enemy to worship you, or to die due to no sleep and food. it's a slow process, but hey, might work =)

02:33 06/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Come on, SE licensed the game to Shanda recently, so the staff must be for their Chinese operation support

Comment by PrinceHeir
    10:19 06/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

son of a...

damn it sqaure -____-

14:16 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

/facepalm. FFXIV has Chinese-only servers (required by China's government). Of course they'd need Chinese speakers to GM these servers. This has nothing to do with the "made in China" rumors.

I'm all for FFXIV bashing, but c'mon, research before posting.

10:50 05/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The answer is quite obvious - they're hiring staff too operate the China-only FFXIV service.

As China requires servers for Chinese players to be in China, it makes sense to hire Chinese staff to operate the servers, run Chinese XIV account management, and act as China-server GMs.

Wholly unrelated to the servers the rest of the world uses.

22:37 09/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just admit it, china is the new super power, cry all you want, buy you precious country will soon be taken over. its already began! RAGE NERDS RAGE! square enix is already infilirated!

Comment by Ashlynd
    13:14 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ehh...Square Enix...>.<

22:50 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The picture has nothing to do with the article, but it's hot anyways. As always xD

16:52 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

U MAD? WEEABOO SCUM?

04:38 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>why Square Enix is only just starting to recruit critical system administrators after the game has actually been launched and not before
    My guess is that something is slowly going more and more wonky in their servers and they've just discovered that all the documentation is in Chinese.

04:42 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it me or Square Enix wants to troll its Japanese fanbase?

Comment by SpideyPHL
    04:45 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Again SC impresses me with its impressive leaps of logic. So SE is recruiting Chinese speakers to run critical game services after the launch for the rest of the world, but before the launch in China. Clearly, this must mean they are somehow currently running their servers with psychic monkeys and has nothing to do with the fact that Chinese servers have to be run in China by Chinese speakers, and they would need localization done in Chinese as well. After all, recruiting Chinese speakers after 5 years of development obviously means that the entire game was made in China right?

Comment by Schrobby
    04:56 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not psychic monkeys. This means that the current chinese manned servers are not sufficient due to chinese quality.

Comment by Hikiko
    11:31 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Do you ever have anything intelligent to say? It's only "chinese quality" this and "china quality" that with you.

The Chinese cannot even access FFXIV, all countries outside the North America and most of Europe are blocked from even getting onto the website. They're looking for Chinese literates to localize the game, not program it.

Also, These look like a bunch of Japanese names to me.

Comment by Hikiko
    08:41 06/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You are a bad poster.

15:41 07/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@Schrobby's "I didn't coin the term "chinese quality". The chinese companies did that all themselves by producing garbage."

In every country, there'll be some people producing garbage. It just happens that China has the largest population, and it's not the most technologically advanced, especially in villages, so it's extremely difficult (read: impossible) to manage it all. There will be a ton of Chinese factories that produce low-quality garbage, as well as all the other places (Like that restaurant that used sewer water or something), but there are also tons of other factories, or restaurants, or anything else, that produce decent, if not good quality things. All my life, I've used many, many things made in China, and none of it was failure, or dangerous, because there's not really that high of a percentage that is failure or dangerous. There's a high number, yes, but not a high percentage. What's the US's population? 300 million. And China's? 1.3 billion. Since the US is so well developed, if China could have a 1:5 ratio for bad products (US:China), that'd already be good. And before you say that it's no where near that, how many reports of all these dangerous Chinese products are there? A lot, yes. Now, with that 1.3 billion people, imagine how much Chinese products are MADE. Now imagine how China's products will be when the country is fully developed, to the level of countries like Canada or something.

Also, I don't remember who mentioned it, but some people noted how 1) Asians are terrible at speaking English and 2) English should be the universal language because it's the easiest to learn. I'm a Canadian with Chinese ancestry. Might not be perfect, but I think this level of English can be considered proficient. For the second point, like someone else mentioned, any language that you don't speak is considered difficult. A personal story, when I was younger, my parents wanted me to study French. At that time, I declined, because I was scared that I wouldn't be able to learn it. (I was five at the time) Seven years later, I can speak French fluently, and find it easy, maybe even easier than English. (Not to say that I'm better at French, but I feel that it's more logical in many cases) Every language has its unique rules that are make sense to native speakers, but may be completely unintelligible to everyone else.

...And so concludes my rant.

tl;dr version: China makes lots of stuff. A lot is crap, even more isn't.
    Any language is difficult to non-speakers.

11:12 06/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Schrotum ur so full of shit.

Comment by Schrobby
    23:27 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Localizing the game? Yeah, localizing it for the japanese market. The chinese were obviously unable to do so, considering such "great" innovations like "Horsebird".

Listing japanese names is not too hard. Especially if you try to hide the fact the game was developed in China.

04:49 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Considering the current issues with China, politically.

The already less than satisfied stance by a lot of their normally rabid fan base in Japan, and the suspicions of outsourcing to China to even make the game.

Well.. PR wise this is complete lunacy.

Last thing you'd want in this situation is to appear to be servile to the antagonist, whether you be a government or a company.

04:46 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My first thought, and it wasn't all that good, was that they want people who can eavesdrop on gold farmers' conversations. But it certainly seems reasonable that they'd have a Japanese, Chinese and English sections for admin, since pretty much every player could be depended on to speak one of those.

And I'd like an answer to that other anon's question. Chinese "dialects" are more like related languages, you need to learn each one to understand it, like how French and Spanish both come from Latin but you can't understand one just from knowing the other. I'd assume they mean Mandarin, but surely Hong Kong is going to see a high enough consumer base for them to need a couple of Cantonese speakers?

08:00 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Written chinese. Dialects may be difficult to understand, which is why you write zhongwen but speak hanyu.

Also: English is mentioned before Chinese as a desirable trait in the ad. Unsuprisingly, China-hating Sankaku doesn't mention that little fact.

04:46 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I work in the industry and I can say that China has some of the best concept artists out there, so if FFIV is bad it's not because it was made in China.

09:17 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

because we are racist. and because china cause too much trouble in the past and recently, on all aspect. Overall we can't trust chinese' quality

00:07 06/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Concept artists are NOT coders/programmers or overall director. Concept artists only illustrate shit based on what the director wants him to make and how.

Of course I admit that China has its own stock of honest artists that do professional, breathtaking works of art without having to plagiarize something else, but they're not the root of the problem.

The real mess might've started simply by bad planning by the execs. And that 'horsebird' shit is probably because they hired the same guy who translated 'No' into 'DO NOT WANT' in the Star Wars bootleg, to translate for this game.

Maybe the execs are secretly a part of /b/.

04:29 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

by chinese you mean mandarin right? or cantonese? or both??

09:13 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He meant all the chinese. 'cause they all the same. It's in their blood. But If you want to be specific. It's Han people

04:01 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

china quality square

04:32 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

going on since since FFX-2!

Comment by Tenno Seremel
    11:18 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

… since FFX.

12:15 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

at least they were trying with FFX...they just failed.

04:14 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Way to go. It feels more and more obvious that this game was made by chinese for the chinese. Maybe because Square enix expects the majority of is players to be from China?

04:01 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1st major fail by square is ffxiv itself

Comment by Chen-04
    03:59 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't english supposed to be the language everyone should learn so everyone can communicate with each other? Damn, I don't want to remember all those chinese characters.

Comment by DP
    08:16 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wasn´t russian the language of the future a few years ago? Now it´s chinese and in 5yrs it´s serbo-croatian or the like.

Comment by Klingengeist
    09:15 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont think anything other than english will be the "language of the future", because its the easiest language to learn.

English is my 2nd, french my 3rd (cant really speak it though ^^) and japanese is going to be my 4th language.
    Still remember how i learned english as a kid by playing RPGs with dictionaries. ^^

If i would be a few years older, i would have learned russian at school.

Comment by Tenno Seremel
    11:17 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

5 years? You aren't even trying.

Comment by DP
    10:51 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have it for 5yrs and the only word i know is достопримечательность.

Comment by Chen-04
    15:15 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>>Well, it is my native language so I can't really judge how hard it is.<<

Simple. If lots of people from //insert country// don't speak //insert language// very well the language is difficult. Or there are lots of stupid folks. Or possibly both.

Personally I hate languages and never bothered to learn any... but I speak a few and am not a native english speaker. It just happened. Learning is boring, but if you see what you can do with the language (i.e. you really want to watch anime for free) you can manage to understand english in about six months.

Comment by Tenno Seremel
    14:53 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Umm… was that "I'm sorry" or "I feel sorry for myself"? (^ ^)'

Well, it is my native language so I can't really judge how hard it is.

Comment by DP
    12:36 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Меня жаль.

Comment by Schrobby
    04:30 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The chinese don't speak english very well - and they programmed the game.

15:09 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"The chinese don't speak english very well"
    Neither do the Japanese...and also TC-man I agree with you. Many younger Chinese do speak English very well; many of my younger relatives in China speak it quite fluently with the correct grammar. The only problem they have is pronounciation. And "Cheap labour for cheap quality"? Seriously, its just simple supply and demand. The cheaper the labour the more demand for it. The computer you guys are using right now is probably over 70% Chinese made. I challenge you to try to live off non-Chinese made products for a month. Let's see how fat that goes...

18:13 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The average Japanese can't speak English any better than any better than a 2-year-old from an English-speaking country. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't people that have native pronunciation of both English and Japanese (very possible if you sustain an environment where a child hears native speakers of both languages throughout their childhood).

Comment by TC-man
    05:55 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry, many new generation Chinese, especially from Hong Kong can speak better English than some Japanese in general. I am not saying this because just like that, it's more because how the Japanese teach their students to write and speak English language. I am convinced that many Japanese can speak much better English if they change the methods for teaching English in Japan. I hate those people who said that the Japanese can only speak/write "Engrish". Why laugh at them instead of correcting and educating them.

Comment by DP
    08:22 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don´t forget that Hong Kong was british crown colony, so it´s normal they speak better englisch as the average chinese.

06:11 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe, from what I heard before when researching being an english teacher there for a year, that you're only supposed to book-read the english and not actually make an effort to explain to them the accents or even really break them from Katakana speaking habits. I could be (and hope what I heard was) wrong, but it does seem that way. Granted, it could simply be they don't care much about learning it as they don't quite have a concept of what opportunities will open up in their future because of it. I know none of my friends or myself considered language as anything more than another class, but then again we were suburban white kids... the sad reality is unconsciously we already understood the world to be our oyster, as proven by the fact that I even know that saying...

Now that I'm mature enough to understand the mental benefits of multi-linqual understanding, I lack the money and/or time to really attempt it.

04:02 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

supposed to.

but who cares?

Comment by shinya78
    04:19 05/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

According to this - http://img4.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/safe-misc-viii/square-enix-recruiting-4.jpg

"English or Chinese"
    So yeah, English is one of their requirements.