Dead Rising 2 PS3 Exhibits PS3 Port Syndrome

dead-rising-2-screen-tearing

The PS3 version of Capcom’s zombie massacre game Dead Rising 2 is being criticised for exhibiting major graphical issues on the PS3, whilst the Xbox 360 version is unaffected.

The issue, one of screen tearing, is said to be quite problematic:

When the game starts, screen tearing is EVERYWHERE. But frame rate persists at about 30fps even when a map is full of zombies. Which is quite impressive to watch.

On the flip side, going through the map with such horrendous screen tearing is really bad for your health. My eyes got VERY sore after half an hour playthrough.

There is some suspicion that this is the result of a patchable bug rather than a slipshod port, but whatever the case the PS3 seems to deserve its reputation for getting the short end of the stick in any multi-platform release.

05:07 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't really mind that capcom makes bad ps3 ports, as long as they keep doing what they are doing with their pc ports. Seriously, this game looks like liquid sex.

Comment by Highlyvisibleninja
    04:17 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bah, they will just patch it.
    Plus, it's not like it's full of graphical oddies or constant loading or severe Frame-Rate drops.

05:09 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Stop bashing Square Enix, will you?
    On the other hand, I don't really care that much...

Comment by Fapping Time
    07:23 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

time for me to bust some zombie skulls...
    just not on PS3...

07:36 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All you 360 haters stop hating and get a 360. The PS3 doesn't have many exclusive titles anyway.I buy the exclusive titles for the 360 and PS3, but if it's multiplatform I buy it for the 360.

Comment by NiteRiderEVO
    04:31 28/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sorry to bust your bubble, but i and [i believe] quite a few others here and elsewhere are not going to put up with hardware failures and a pay-to-play online system that is by far too hair-triggered on the bans.

03:23 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Please people, just shut up about this is being a bad port and all, just download the damn patch. There is no problem with the ps3 version, stop making it sounds like a huge deal.

Comment by Maderlulz
    01:01 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I find it surprising it was ported to PC so well as you know how much game developers give a shit about the PC. I guess because Steam is giving them hope.

Comment by Rubba
    02:08 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah, its more due to the fact that the 360 and Windows operate in a fairly similar way, so 360->PC and PC->360 ports should be pretty painless.

Shaun Himmerick of Midway Games said that making games for the 360 was just like coding for 'a dumb PC'.

Where as the PS3 system is Linux based, which is a whole different ball game...

00:57 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

HaHa fuck you P(o)S3 it will look epic on the 36o bitchez! how do I know Case .:0:.

00:56 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's funny, how fast americans are assuming that there is no v-sync in PS3 version. I bet that all europeans that purchased the game (including me) are reading it now and laughing hard. NO SUCH ISSUE ON PS3 version of this game. But it makes me wonder where are those screenshots from...

00:57 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've been playing for this on the PS3 for the past week and I haven't noticed any screen tearing whatsoever and my eyes are fine.

Sounds like this reviewer has a really shitty TV.

02:29 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sounds like the Slender Man made a Vegas run

02:57 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Most companies develop for the 360 or PC first THEN port it to PS3 instead of vice versa.

Then again, you play multiplats on PS3 & not PC you should kick yourself in the balls.

02:25 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ugh, now sankaku complex is going into the topic on the stupid screen tearing in dr2? Seriously wtf?

NO TV, OR GAME SYSTEM IS PERFECT. 360, PS3, Etc, they all have flaws and can't perform a game 100%. And with a game like dead rising, where there are over 5000 zombies on one stream, its no wonder that there will be screen tearing.

Focus on other things.

09:59 29/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm leaning more towards a patchable problem than a bad port. I had these problems on a game I was playing recently, and as soon as I downloaded a patch... problem gone!

Though, they should have noticed this issue before releasing the PS3 version of the game.

16:50 29/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All I have is a PS3...should I get this anyway?

07:05 12/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Did they test this on a regular TV or an HDMI TV? I've played the 360 version's prequel scenario and I have the full game on the PS3. I'm probably not paying attention that much, since I'm enjoying the game, so I haven't noticed any major graphical issues (playing on HDMI btw).

10:57 03/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Having played this game for a few days on the ps3 i have seen no screen tearing... haven't been looking for it specifically but the game is perfectly playable.

00:43 30/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Jammed on this game all last night, haven't had a single problem. Nitch problems have no place being spread about as if every copy is plagued by this. It's just simply a falsehood and misinformation to boot.

09:42 01/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

wow that doesnt happen to me, btw........fuck microsoft up there money grubbing asses, fuckers pay developers to concentrate more on the xshit version, its really sad....ah well

the decline of video games is at hand

Comment by Y10NRDY
    09:30 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's pretty severe eye cancer. Oh well... 360 it is, I guess.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    14:11 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the hell if they can run RE5 and DMC4 on PS3 smoothly, why can't they do the same in Dead Rising 2? not to mention the exclusive case zero,west dlc bullshit.

damn it capcom, at least make a exclusive Monster Hunter for the PS3 or a new Stider, Onimusha. and give suda 51 the killer 7 IP, you never used it anyways.

13:21 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This isn't PS3 Port Syndrome, this is Xbox "BAWWWWW" syndrome.

00:42 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No V-Sync?

That's just sad

19:53 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If it comes to loading times, on PS3 loading takes roughly 10 sec. between locations. In comparison on PC version it's about 3 sec. at least on my PC.

Comment by Bigall
    21:18 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How much does you're computer cost?

19:25 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Less than your consoles, considering the lower price on PC games and all the free DLC you pay for.

Plus, my multiplayer is free.

23:02 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It was not expensive. But I built it myself. 8GB ram, Quad, HD4870x2. But I guess that this game will work better on Nvidia cards. After all it's the way it's meant to be played...

20:54 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A real PC game doesn't need any loading screens. DR2 isn't a PC game, it's a console port for the PC.

19:47 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As someone who has the PS3 version (Australian release) i've been playing for atleast 8 hours and i haven't seen a single bit of screen tearing.
    That said, there was already a patch for the game when i bought it on saturday.

19:43 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't want to sound fanboy-ish. I'm playing Dead Rising 2 since the release on friday on my PS3 hooked to the fullHD 50'' plasma and I didn't noticed a single screen tearing. But, when I played Dead Rising 1 on my XO, screen tearing was almost constant.

Comment by alidan
    19:53 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

people dont notice screen tearing all that much. but the second that do they fucking freak out about it.

its not that big a problem, not as bad as jaggies use to be, and no where near as bad as shitty textures.

00:35 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You want to see screen tearing, play Assassin Creed 2 on any console!

Comment by alidan
    14:35 29/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i do, and don't notice it at all.

some people try to make this sound like its as bad as jaggies were on ps1, but its not even close.

19:46 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe this screen issue was fixed with patch 1.01 which I had to download right after inserting disc in the drive and that is why I have not seen screen tearing even once. Probably those screens are made on the unpatched version played on hacked PS3 without internet access :P.

Comment by alidan
    19:54 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

not everyone downloads patches to games, as some times they take out functionality, or other negative things.

20:06 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, right. And if you would notice this screen issue, you would play on and ignore the patch that was released the same day as the game.

Comment by alidan
    13:32 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

other games could take away things in the fairness of making the game artificially longer, i just dont know anymore because the disgaea thing pissed me off so much i dont bother seeing the skeletons other games may have.

23:00 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not a Disgaea, and if it comes to internet connection... What is it 1992?! It's like a bothroom without aroma therapy! What's wrong with him?!

20:53 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Or maybe your console isn't connected to the internet?
    /facepalm

Comment by alidan
    22:39 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

exactly.

and for an example of takeing out things, disgaea 3, the first patch made item duping a less time consuming ordeal, than they made a second patch that made it a more time consuming ordeal... keep in mind this is not a glitch its a actual in game function they implemented, they just made it more time consuming.

20:05 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Once again the PS3 version of a game getting no love from the developer, and this time from a Japanese developer. I still can't get used to this "PS3 Port Syndrome". I mean, it doesn't cripple my ability to play multi-platform games (since I own both consoles), but it pretty much takes away the power to choose which console to play a game on. And that kinda sucks in my opinion.

20:15 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

CAPCOM: "Japan isn't making any good games anymore"

"we need to branch out to the West"

"The PS3 version of Dead Rising will be the same as the 360 one"

yeah, no.

Anyone else notice that CAPCOM is the single reason that CAPCOM is failing these days? Firstly, they keep tossing their classic franchises to crappy western devs (Ninja Theory and such), then they release boring games like Lost Planet 2, and then they complain about how others in the industry give Japanese games a bad name. . .

And we all know why Dead Rising 2 on the PS3 sucks; they believe that making the 360 better is more 'western friendly'. CAPCOM has been hurting themselves, and their image so much lately, and all for the western audience, and it ain't paying off. . . at all.

seriously, what the hell happened to CAPCOM?

20:25 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I think that you suck, my dear anonymous. Play the game first, then comment. As I said before, I'm playing PS3 version on a rather big fullhd screen and cannot see a single glitch I'm about 15h into the game. I've downloaded hacked PC version and run it on max specs to compare with PS3. Graphics looks much crispier, loading times are cut by 2/3 but except for that it's just the same game. I haven't seen XO version yet, but I believe it'll be pretty much the same as PS3 one. The only crucial difference between PS3 and XO might be loading times.

23:16 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh please, the last good Capcom Japan title was Street Fighter IV and they're already milking it.

Comment by Majineko
    23:45 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

omg. dude. heavy duty. there at least 60$s worth of dlc just for costumes. stuff that was already programmed in the game and the fans just keep buying like idiots. that game also had a double release

Comment by Rubba
    20:15 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It'll be interesting to see a comparison of 360 vs PC, to see on standard settings what the differences will be, if any.
    At least by tomorrow I'll have my hands on the PC version.

19:01 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Patchable bug? It sounds more like they intentionally disabled vsync for a stable frame rate.