Capcom: “We’ll Scrap Our Coders & Designers”

sakura-by-go-robots

Capcom has announced it will no longer be employing programmers or designers, and will in fact be scrapping them completely.

Instead, as part of a far-reaching managerial reform it will be calling them all “creators”, a move apparently intended to abolish distinctions in creative class amongst its game developers.

Just whether this pre-October Revolution turns out to be a vapid feel-good gesture or a real change in the stifling corporate culture of a Japanese company remains to be seen – certainly it seems unlikely the change of name will suddenly see Capcom’s artists suddenly able to program, or their coders miraculously granted artistic talent.

In other comments, Capcom has said it will be striving to increase collaboration with its non-Japanese studios – seemingly the exact opposite of competitor Square Enix, which in recent comments vehemently disparaged the merits of working with mere foreigners.

20:48 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Just whether this pre-October Revolution turns out to be a vapid feel-good gesture or a real change in the stifling corporate culture of a Japanese company remains to be seen."

Third possibility: They do it so that there's nothing in the industry to compare their employees to- meaning that there are no standards for how much they can be paid.

Yes, I'm cynical.

21:39 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Awwwwhh it is such a wonderful deal with the new job designation because it also comes with a huge tax break for all the former programmers and design teams. They will now only be paid for submissions (probably) which are accepted and get to do their work at home too instead of going to the offices since they will no longer be getting a weekly check. They got the tax break because they no longer earn any money.... (probably)

Comment by Zippydsmlee
    18:07 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Their problems are the same as everyone less one they don;t fix their games enough 2 polish, ever hear of it? Generic games do not sell well stop this thinking a brand name will make it better. S/E has learned this.....

Comment by Kwily
    20:26 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Whatever, as long as Cammy stays the way she is they can do whatever they want

20:33 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How about "Innvovator" instead of "Creator"?

19:27 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

From what i have heard Capcom is going to outsource the work on well known franchises like DMC to foreign developers.
    The japanese studio will be working on new franchises.
    There are rumors for example that DMC5 is developed by Ninja Theorie(Heavenly Sword).
    Also four new games are going to be announced at TGS.
    I think they know what they´re doing, since none of their games lately sucked. (even the foreign developed game Dark Void)

21:55 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol... have fun losing money Capcom
    We all know that, North America Capcom can't make a decent game

Comment by moebius22
    22:05 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Capcom pissed me off when they decided to add jump to Bionic Commando Rearmed 2- sacrilege!

11:00 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They don't actually need designers...now that they have the SFIV models they're just going to keep using those for the next 15 years.

10:14 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Capcom's been watching too much Welcome to the NHK.

Comment by Dark Mage
    08:37 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I take it they're going to use out sourced programmers.
    Expect to see some truly buggy games.

16:53 05/09/2017 # ! Neutral (0)

The Web Design Diaries http://andyrftgt.thezenweb.com/Considerations-To-Know-About-los-angeles-web-design-8896824

Comment by raijinz
    21:42 16/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And THIS is the reason why the new Devil May Cry will look nothing like you'd expect from a Japanese developer. Couldn't they just hand the franchise over to Hideki Kamiya if they can't be bothered to make it themselves?

00:08 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There is only one creator!....Oda-sama ^^

But seriously, what the hell? 2011 is around the corner and yet it feels like the world is moving backwards with huge steps. Nowadays, you either get bad news, strange news or mildly pleasing news.

The only time we get some good news is when people try to break out of this depressing trend.

As for Capcom. Please hurry up and release Ace Attorney Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2.

Comment by Abel Liegod
    22:43 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As long as Capcom don't stop realeasing Monster Hunter games it's fine by me.

00:28 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Capcom is THE NEW ACTIVISION! Capcom is the JAPANESE ACTIVISION! We're DOOMED!

Comment by SpideyPHL
    02:01 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This may be a gimmick, but I've noticed the western studios with the best games tend not to strictly enforce the "class" distinctions in the studio, so one can hope this will improve the quality of their games--both RE5 and LP2 were good, but not perfect, because of some stubborn design decisions.

01:23 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

People should listen to what George Carlin said. He'd set your euphemistic endavours straight.

00:40 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So they're just changing the names to be "cool & edgy", okay.

Comment by PewPewPew!
    12:30 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Capcom's collaboration with non-Japanese studios is very much welcomed.Was already thinking of what could they work on if they do a joint with BioWare,Ubisoft,Valve,Blizzard or any other western group or the Korean MMO makers.

17:37 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you know there is a reason the best games are the best, it's because they are made by the japanese and mostly intended for the japanese. When they start collaboration with non-Japanese westerners and trying to appeal to non-Japanese westerners thats when things start to go to shit. Why can't your xbot westerners be content with your halo's, and fallout's, bioshocks and sports games and stop expecting the japanese to cater your bad taste in games.

Comment by Sorrior
    17:59 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You're a fool we don't not the sane ones at least. I personally can't stand halo and fps games in general same for sports.

Comment by Sorrior
    12:33 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No bioware please anyone but them well them and bethesda. I swear they can't release complete games if they tries. It's like they ALL need mods just to work right or feel good.

Comment by PewPewPew!
    12:41 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe the practice of releasing half-finished games to counter piracy is their rhythm.

Comment by Sorrior
    12:52 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No i don't even mean the DLC i mean fan made mods. I mean really try playing say oblivion and then tell me that it dosn't seem lackluster without FAN made mods.

Comment by PewPewPew!
    13:00 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I played Dragon Age Origins for awhile when it was first released,felt something missing with it or that you need to add something more.Never bothered to open it again after that and I learned later on that they're releasing DLCs for it one at a time.As for Oblivion,I ended up giving away my copy(wasted $$)to my friend when I saw him playing it before me.I lost my drive to try it just by watching him and it was my instinct that told me to not play the game.

Comment by PewPewPew!
    13:30 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I know..,in the very beginning.I made a reference to those companies as "What ifs" alone.

Comment by Sorrior
    13:14 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

See my point. the catch is that even WITH dlc oblivion just wasn;t as good as with fan mods and even then. As for dragon age i got to the tourney and guess what i found it better after modding it. The problem is that they release games not just unfinished dlc wise but character creator class and well pretty much everything half done.

Comment by Bronxdragon
    12:21 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't give a damn what they do as long as they keep making DMC and BoF.

17:27 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

as long as you morons keep eating up the barely mediocre bullshit they put out, the more they are going to put out mediocre bullshit! i.e DMC 4,5,7,8,12, 44,53 and so on.

Comment by Sorrior
    21:05 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DMC 4 was good if you could look past the changes with nero. But most can't for some reason.

Comment by Sorrior
    12:53 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed i need more BoF and more DMC. Though BoF takes priority to me. I want a good one not something liek dragon quarter but more like 3 or 4.

15:37 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Capcom have already said they won't make anymore BoF games. The series ran into some major problems so they have abandoned it.

Comment by Sorrior
    17:08 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I heard that they moreover put it on the backshelf and said they would make mor but not for awhile.

Comment by brningpyre
    12:18 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL, this is some straight-up synergy bullshit.

Comment by Reichi
    12:53 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Hey, take this to the creator!"
    "... Which one?!" T__T
    They're just asking for confusion~

Comment by Astray Flame
    13:03 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And also pay grade between different groups of "creator."

12:51 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll always call them developers and I'll always be thankful they developed Sakura Kasugano.

11:57 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, that's very funny. *laugh*

12:01 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As long as Street Fighter stays good, I don't care what they call them.

12:05 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Street Fighter has not been good for a while....and while I'm at it the DMC series should have ended after the second one.

Comment by Vampire Lord
    17:13 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The second game is horrible (I just keep it for collection motives), the third was great, I didn't play the fourth but I heard it was bad compared to the earlier games (except 2 I suppose), we need more DMC.

But then I think, Capcom will ruin everything they can make by slicing it into pieces and selling chopped games as DLC.

12:53 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DMC3 bad now? Troll level achieved

11:56 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Interesting...

Kinda seems a bit trivial, don't you think?

Comment by Dreck
    12:03 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Big changes have started with less trivial matters in the past though, dontcha think? Or just a new workplace agenda - w/e works.

Comment by makkun
    13:41 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Apparently, they call themselves "Creators". So, they think of themselves as "Gods" who "creates" everyting?
    Not that I mind though as long as they "creates" me some decent games.

PS: I need MOAR Megaman Legends NAO!!

15:48 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

To avoid confusion, Capcom will now refer to God as a programmer.

Comment by Schrobby
    21:28 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

God programmed quite a good engine. Everything looks so realistic. ^_^

Comment by Schrobby
    23:17 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That femnazi character class was a bad idea. We should get rid of it. ^_^

Comment by DP
    07:28 15/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But it still has some bugs. Mabe it needs a patch.^_^