“Game Elite” vs “Light Gamers”: Which Are You?

lucky-star-wii-gamers-by-yoshimizu-kagami

A senior game creator has told industry figures that Japanese gamers can now be divided into a “game elite” and “light gamers.”

masanobu-endo-cedec-1
masanobu-endo-cedec-2

The types were identified by veteran game designer Masanobu Endo, known for such titles as Druaga (both game and anime) and director of “Game Studio” and the “Digital Games Research Association Japan,” in a presentation he made to audiences at the recent CEDEC 2010.

Game Elite Tendency Light Gamer
Enjoys strategising themselves Strategy Likes reading hint books whilst playing
Likes to clear games quickly Time Doesn’t like to play under time constraints
Likes to play at their own pace Time Doesn’t want to spend too much time on each game
Likes sophisticated controls Control Complex controls = boring
Buys on release day Purchase Buys when free to do so
Game magazines Info Friends
Discount stores or Amazon Budget Buys normally if they can’t get it for free
Excitedly waits through loading Loading Long load = off
Likes games (also anime and comics) Interests Interested in games amongst other things
Must play to be satisfied Play Satisfied just to watch others play
Virtual Love Real

Game Elite:

Has played eighties games
Remembers pleasures of pixel perfect control
Likes high risk/high return trade offs
If a PC gamer, likes FPS and RTS, also MMO
Prefers Xbox 360 for consoles
Prefers PSP for handhelds
Often single
Lacks endurance for Wii sports games

Light Gamer:

May be female
Often young
Has little time for games
Email is more important to them than games
Won’t install

Or in summary, Japanese gamers can be divided in fat creepy Xbox-owning otaku busily humping their pillows, and everyone else.

Japanese gamers overall are said increasingly to fall into the light gamer category, possibly spelling doom for games not published on mobile phones, browsers or the Wii.

Comment by Shinji
    19:42 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm none of the above.

I'm both a Eroge Elite and Light Erogamer.

20:27 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

what gamer am I if I only play Street Fighter III Third Strike and Tetris for like everyday and rarely play another game?

Comment by Klingengeist
    18:37 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Everyone hates loading times!

18:38 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm so that would make the whole of japan elite gamers O.o. When the last dragonquest came out the whole of japan lay still for 1-2 days since almost everybody bought it and took a day off.

20:49 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Game Elite:
    LIES! PS3 FTW!
    Prefers PSP for handhelds
    DSI IS THE BEST
    Often single
    WAIT... GIRLS ARE REAL? :o
    Lacks endurance for Wii sports games
    NOPE! KICKING YOUR VIRTUAL ASS!

20:51 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a little of both.
    So what makes a person an elite games is getting an Xbox or PSP.....what does that have anything to do with it.
    I've got a PS3 and lots of time for gaming, I just don't game much since I'm more a like gamer.
    I don't play FPS because....I just don't like it.
    Gamers just game for fun.
    If you game to try to prove your "Manhood" and stuff....then....at least "I" think you need to get a life.

22:07 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm 60%Game Elite and 40% Light Gamer, -_- I prefer real girl

22:14 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Excitedly waits through loading" = game freeze

22:19 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy crap those answers are so backwards it's not even funny:

Hardcore gamers will tend to read strategy guides a lot more than causal players who will just play the game.

Hardcore players do not clear games quickly and instead focus on getting 100% completion. However, elite player do play at a fast pace, this is necessary in any competitive game.

Elite gamers do not like complicated controls, they like efficient controls... aka bumper jumper setting in Halo 3.

They, technically, do not buy their games release day, but instead pre-order it months ahead.

Lol no hardcore gamers uses magazines, all the best and newest info comes from internet forums.

Hardcore gamers will usually pay full price for their games of choice, but will often pirate or buy other games at discount.

No one likes load times...

Yes, gamers like games HUGE revelation.

No most gamers want girlfriends in RL and not virtual. Some just settle for virtual.

At this point it comes as no surprise that Japanese developers have no clue as their target audience. Western developers have overshadowed them by far this console gen and I can only foresee this gap widening if these horrendous assumptions continue to prevail.

22:32 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a little bit of both

Comment by Rethardus
    21:52 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why do people always need to classify stuff? So when you don't buy a game on the release date, you're a n00b all of the sudden?

Give me a break, the only thing that makes you elite is being good at the games you play.

18:34 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Likes sophisticated controls"
    "Excitedly waits through loading"
    hahaha no
    but nice try justifying shitty controls and long ass loading times

Comment by xyanide1986
    19:17 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it's more like Bayonetta controls vs. God of War controls, or capcom fighting game vs. super smash bros.

18:24 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait so Elite Gamers play 360? Well, I guess since I have a PS3 Im just a nobody Light Gamer. Ill just go over here and play my Disgaea 3, just like any other Light Gamer...

Comment by RIP Grape-kun
    19:10 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In Japan, the 360 is aimed at a very different demographic. It has fewer FPSs and more VNs. It's basically the otaku console.

Comment by Ushiromiya Reiji
    16:30 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Elite, with the exception of loading screens, I fucking hate long loading screens, and the "buys on release day" which I can never do even if I want to, because every games comes a few days later where I live, compared to the rest of the places.

16:31 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The love is Virtual but they prefer PSP for handhelds? O RLY?

Comment by Ushiromiya Reiji
    16:31 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Though, most of these are pretty stupid and subjective.
    I don't really see them as differences worth mentioning.

15:44 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Only Xbox shit gamers are considered elite? Bullshit...

Comment by softbanker
    15:31 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Game Elite Tendency Light Gamer
    Strategy- Likes reading hint books whilst playing
    Likes to clear games quickly -Time
    Likes to play at their own pace -Time
    Control - Complex controls = boring
    Buys on release day - Purchase
    Info - Friends
    Budget - Buys normally if they can’t get it for free
    Excitedly waits through loading - Loading
    Interests - Interested in games amongst other things
    Must play to be satisfied - Play
    Love - Real

Game Elite:

If a PC gamer, likes FPS and RTS,
    Prefers PS2 for consoles
    Prefers PSP for handhelds
    Married

This is me.

15:15 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

not very good divisions.

Comment by softbanker
    15:18 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a mix between the two, so does that make me balanced?

Comment by Soljashy
    15:28 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Me:

(e) Enjoys strategising themselves
    (l) Doesn’t like to play under time constraints
    (e) Likes to play at their own pace
    (?) Doesn't care about controls
    (l) Buys when free to do so
    (?) Internet
    (l) Buys normally if they can’t get it for free
    (?) I don't think anyone excitedly waits through loading
    (e) Likes games (also anime and comics)
    (e) Must play to be satisfied
    (l) Real

That's 4 elite, 4 light and 3 other. I guess I'm a perfectly balanced gamer, then.

Comment by GREW
    16:50 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Elite, or better "normal".
    That light thing wasn't there before the Wii, uhh -_-

Comment by RIP Grape-kun
    17:57 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>Tendency: Info

>Gmaer Elite: Games magazines

Who the fuck still buys games magazines in 2010? Goddammit Japan!

Also, there are no casuals and elites. There are just people who enjoy games and pretentious faggots.

17:58 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OH NOES!!! I AM A LIGHT GAMER BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE THE XBOX...pretty stupid results showed in this presentation.

18:06 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Rascism"...; The videogamers way.

18:15 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

For fun, I took a tally according to the chart. If I'm right I should fall between Elite and Light. The description's not so accurate though. The only thing that applies to me is "Has played eighties games" and I do like MMOs but I'm not fanatical about them. I'll play if it looks fun though.

17:12 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"maybe female.."

DOUSHIO~~~~~?

Comment by brningpyre
    17:14 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think they got the loading thing the opposite way. People who don't really care about games don't really care about the loading time as much.

People who do care (and compare games) will be more disappointed.

Comment by xyanide1986
    17:32 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In my experience there's about 4 gamer types.
    The 'lightweight' (female casuals) ones, yes.
    The 'elite' too, but also arcade/versus type gamers (fighting, fps, shmups).
    Then there's also the solitaire/sore-loser gamers who hate being beaten simply because somebody is better at it, not because somebody has spent more time to get good equipment (MMORPGs pvp for example). They tend to avoid good versus games mostly because they have to invest time to get good at it, not being equally good against the opponents from the get-go as they progress.
    It's like liberals vs. socialists I suppose, and most of all what the flying fuck is virtual love to begin with are they hinting every half-decent gamer is obsessed with Loveplus? My friend and me both have girlfriends, and he's like a near full-time gamer.

Also there's too fucking many of you socialist gamers here, man up and play some real games.

Comment by OhYeah
    11:48 05/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed, there are many who pick up popular games like Left 4 Dead and have a habit of rage quitting whenever things don't go their way. Generally they expect to win no matter what they do or always getting the good equipment (or the tank). Sad to say that there are too many people that play like every FPS is counterstrike these days. There is something called teamwork, yknow...

22:42 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Game Elite: "Prefers Xbox 360 for consoles" that made me lawl

00:27 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Xbox 360 Elite 120gb.

"oh I'm a game elite so the xbox elite must be for me"

15:10 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Light Gamers = those faggots that writes reviews for new video games that just came out. You know, ign, Gamespot etc...

Comment by Reichi
    12:53 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm in-between. So what is that? Light Elite?

12:29 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sadly, am not the hardcore gamer i use to be, i remember spending hours playing a video game now adays I hardly even load the ones on my PC but when i do play a game am interested in i get way into it.

10:53 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There you have it: Japan is populated with DS-loving casual tards, and there are so few 360s sold there 'cause those are for the elite, from which of course there are very few.

Everything makes sense now.

06:33 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, the "elite" and everyone else, huh? As if the world needed yet another attempt to divide people into classes. Disgusting.

07:35 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed..

we don't need any more classes and here it is. It is disgusting..

07:33 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A bit sexist and stereotypical huh?

I'm in between both..Elite and Light. It depends on the game really. Though I never play games I don't want to.

06:43 05/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This goddamn Azure Xuchilbara kid is the definition of fucking weeaboo.

Dude, come on.

08:56 08/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Strategy: Well, I like to try my own attempts to problems, but when the Barrel of Doom rears its ugly head, I'll be looking at the hint books.
    Time: Don't care how long it takes. I like to play at my own pace, but not too hard.
    Control: Prefer a 6-button layout to a 4-button or 3-button layout, but please don't send in controls like Batman Forever on SNES. That's too much.
    Purchase: I hate Gamestop. They force you to preorder if you want everything. I can't bring myself to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 knowing that I'm missing out on a character. Because of Gamestop being annoying and not understanding the value of trading cards, I have to preorder from them a lot, so I usually get it on release day. Otherwise, I simply buy it when I have the chance.
    Info: Usually I look at gaming magazines for my info. I also follow the dev progress on the web for certain games, like Marvel VS Capcom 3.
    Budget: Oh, this is a no-brainer, just get it when it's cheaper. Unless the price is already good. (Super Street Fighter IV at $40 even when the original was $60? Count me in!)
    Loading: Even now I have problems getting through Sonic 06. Long load times really turn me off. Not that I won't play the game, but still...
    Interests: I don't really consider myself gaming only. I have a wide range of tastes.
    Play: I like the fun of playing games, but if I can't go farther, then I'll gladly watch others play.
    Love: Still looking for the one for me. It's not a virtual bride, lemme tell ya.
    OVERALL: I'm no professional gamer, but I know a thing or two on how to play.

Mysterious Voice: "Yeah, someone needs a major personality overhaul. And another thing, Artefact, you did it wrong. The hardcore prefer the PS3. It's the stupid kids who don't know any better that prefer the 360. Give me one reason why I shouldn't shoot you. Better yet, go shoot yourself."

Oh yeah? Let's see you play better!

Mysterious Voice: "It's too much fun watching you fail and curse your head off. No thanks."

Comment by Chen-04
    01:47 09/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Once, I was elite,.. but then games got boring and now I am a light gamer with lots of skillz. No one cares, but I'll post anyway.

21:04 20/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Everyone here is a lame weeaboo and needs to play Borderlands.

06:25 17/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lack endurance my ass, whats DDR then huh? there are some hardcore DDR players that use the pad, now THAT takes stamina and endurance. not that WII fling a stick around crap

Comment by raijinz
    15:37 06/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't consider myself to be a casual or elite gamer. I play at my own pace and like sophisticated controls, but hate long loading times and time constraints. Where do I fall in this chart?

05:22 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can barely be considered a gamer if that, I play DDR and Supreme Commander.

04:57 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lets see...

Elite: 3
    Light: 5
    Neither/both: 3

I guess I'm more of a light gamer. Pretty much what I expected.

01:06 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was alternating between them but I realized I was a Game Elite at "Virtual/Real".

01:24 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this is me

Strategy-Enjoys strategising themselves

Time-Doesn’t like to play under time constraints/Likes to play at their own pace

Control-Complex controls = boring

Purchase-Buys when free to do so

Info-Game magazines/Friends

Budget-Discount stores or Amazon/Buys normally if they can’t get it for free

Loading-Excitedly waits through loading

Interests-Likes games (also anime)/Interested in games amongst other things

Play-Must play to be satisfied

Love-Real

and the "Likes high risk/high return trade offs"/"Prefers PSP for handhelds"/"Often single" are the only elite catagories below the chart that fit me the rest don't though (as i want a PS3! not a 360 ^.^)