ff-14-mithra-by-kurohardt.jpg

Square Enix is introducing a “fatigue” system to upcoming MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV which will apparently see players hit with crippling penalties if they play more than an hour a day, with those daring to play more than 4 hours having their XP reduced to 0.

Square Enix acknowledge the existence of the system in an interview and in previous comments, but are strangely reticent about providing specifics:

Tell us about the “fatigue” and “dormancy” systems please.

We wanted to introduce a system to reward players who don’t have a lot of time to play. Maybe it looks as though we are placing long playing users at a disadvantage, but the idea is really to let play for short periods be viable.

Won’t that cause some concern amongst players who play for longer?

We want these players to try different classes. If you change class the fatigue doesn’t affect you, so you could try non-combat classes as well. You actually have more play choices now as you can make more characters.

“Some concern” may be a colossal understatement if early reports of just how draconian the limits are turn out to be correct:

Fatigue goes up to about 50% in 2 hours, and it takes 2 days to go down! So, if you play 4 hours you have to stop playing completely for 2 days!

WHAT!?

Only 1 hour a day!

What’s really amazing is that you have to pay a monthly subscription for this…

They can’t get away with this on a subscription game. They’ll be sued!

So you get bonuses for staying logged out – the servers are going to be nice and quiet, aren’t they!

More on the “dormancy” system:

Recovery takes time.

2 hours of combat or 1 hour of craft will induce “dormancy.”

The dormancy is actually shared over different characters.

It will decrease gains to 0% in the end.

It seems to be proportional to the amount of XP you earn.

Both light and heavy player are going to weep...

Such systems are not unique, but Square Enix appears to have taken the system to an extreme likely to either completely eliminate its “hardcore” player strata – to say nothing of its high-handedness in dictating to players that they can only play an hour day.

Comment by Hyra911
    22:58 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why it look like they are digging their own graves???

22:55 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You people are fucking idiots. The people who wrote this obviously aren't in the beta and are talking out their ass. Don't believe this shit.

23:31 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly this is just Art-i-lies nonsense rumor mill at work again.

DO SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN PEOPLE FIND THE ACTUAL FACTS.

23:18 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Are people really this easily fooled?

I mean if there was an actual link to this interview I could understand but... the only link provided to support this argument is entirely in Japanese and only mentions the idea of a fatigue system in passing apparantly.

This has about as much validity as a homeless man on the street warning that SE is going to send signals to your fillings to get you to pay more and play less.

23:32 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That will fix those botters. Can't see any pictures yet btw anywhere.

22:53 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This explanation is very confusing, but since I am in Beta I will try to explain what it means by it isn't "across classes."

In XIV you can take skills from multiple classes and use them while leveling different classes. Like in XI, you can level every class on a single character. If I were to switch to one job and play for two hours then switch back to another for two hours and rotate, I would experience virtually no fatigue. It is also still beta, and many complaints are coming through, so I'm confident SE will do away with this sooner than later.

Hope that helps to understand the situation a bit better

23:16 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Finally someone other than the Sankakutards post relevant information.

Comment by Fox89
    00:02 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Thanks, the best and most concise summary I have found yet. It doesn't sound anywhere near as bad now, I'm back to looking forward to the game :)

22:49 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I posted a few min ago about it, the fatigue system kicked in for me after about 2.5 hours and got to 30% after another hour. Switched to blacksmith and logged off. Went to sleep and work and finally logged in about 18 hours, no fatigue, completely reset and went 5 hours before I hit 50% so I stop, switched to gs and then miner for an hour. Stopped, went back to gladiator and killed one thing to test, my fatigue was at 20%

It's hard to type on a phone with only one thumb lol

22:40 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

they want to kill powerleveling (those people charging fee to powerlevel)? 1 hour per day is redicolusly little...

22:31 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it all depends on how the game will work in the end. I can imagine that even this system could work. For me something like this is more appealing than WoW because all the servers wont be flooded by nonstop grinding and farming high level characters. It can greatly push up all RPG elements of game and stuff. But, its fucking japanese MMORPG, gameplay will suck just as all other MMOs. Also this system isnt for casual or hardcore gamers - in other worlds, not for the players who would spent most money on it. So its probably fail even that the idea isnt as bad as most people around think.

22:40 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not a rummor when it's taken from an interview; And guess what, it was taken from an interview with the SquareEnix people.

What I want to hear from are the beta testers that are playing with this ridiculous restriction in place. They would know if its really this "draconian".

Comment by DmonHiro
    22:44 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...Of all the stupid, retarded ideas I've heard this year is regards to gaming, this one takes the cake, the cake-shop, the baker, and the recipe.

22:42 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am assuming the system is just a method for compacting several hours worth of grinding into that 1 hour period. Lets say in four hours in a normal mmorpg you could gain maybe 1 level but in ffxiv you could gain that 1 level in one hour. A compacted xp system with a cooldown on xp just allows hardcore gamers and casual gamers to enjoy the game. It allows casual gamers to keep up with the hardcore gamers and lets hardcore gamers spend their time enjoying every other aspect of the game.

*********************************

23:35 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

try the other way around if its like XI you will have to spend 8 to 9 hours for one level

Comment by Reo
    23:33 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder is this a suicide? trying to make himself bankrupt?

00:50 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think theyre gonna do this to stop the otaku from playing to much.

Comment by darknetwork
    00:41 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

nah, they will introduce expensive item mall to reduce fatigue. They don't care about player. they care only money.

00:56 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is completely false. I played for 8 hours my first night in beta and never got fatigue. Even now I have Pugilist at 12, Lancer at 6, Conjurer at 4, Botanist at 3 and I have never suffered any fatigue from this system. Check the facts before posting stuff like this next time.

01:09 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fatigue system doesent trigger on low level characters

03:15 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Even on high level characters it doesn't trigger before SEVERAL hours. Playing a couple classes or more regularly (like everyone will do anyway, because like in FFXI playing a single class will result in an extremely gimped character) results in not even experiencing the system.

01:24 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So I can't jump and can only play for an hour? I can't fucking wait for this game!

Comment by Naison
    00:57 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is highway robbery imho.

00:16 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Typical Sankaku. This is nothing but rumors. Calm down already.

00:48 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sankaku Complex: "Vendetta against Square Enix"

In a recent discussion from IGN many gamers react to an article from Sankaku Complex:

"Mentioned this in general gaming too, where's the actual proof of this? Apparently Sankaku Complex is the only website which has reported on this. Anyone who knows who Sankaku Complex is will know why that's so suspicious."

"I Was Gonna Post A Link But Then Again I Might Get Banned.

Sankaku Complex Not A Credible Site ?"

"Remember all those negative articles that sprang up around the internet in the month or so before FFXIII released? They ALL came from Sankaku Complex. The website has a vendetta against Square Enix.

Some of the articles contained content which funnily enough didn't appear anywhere else, and the website's sources tend to be itself."

"You know, my theory is that it's actually true, Sankaku Complex are just (typically) trying to put a negative spin on it.

You're not 'only allowed to play 1 hour a day', you're restricted to using one hour per class once a day. It's an effort to have you switch classes and level multiple things, which is a large part of FFXIV's system."

"This sounds utterly ridiculous to me, I hope that it's majorly over exageratted."

"Sankaku Complex Not A Credible Site ?
    No, no they're not.

I'd lol if this were true, but it's obviously not."

A mini article if you will, posted in the "Typical Sankaku" format.

Comment by Artefact

I like this critique, although I don't agree with the content.

It doesn't appear anywhere else only if you happen to unaware of the existence of the large body of Japanese sites we routinely source (and in some cases are unable to source directly due to the transience and non-English nature of sites like 2ch).

We're not in the pay of gaming companies so we can publish whatever proves popular - unfortunately for those companies this inevitably tends to be controversial news rather than their press releases, and it naturally tends to involve popular things people care about, like Final Fantasy.

If you are looking for evidence of bias, can you identify any uniformly positive coverage of anything here? You could probably sustain the argument that we are uniformly negative about most topics, but is that not the nature of most "news," and a reflection of the audience demand for negative coverage rather than constant praise?

Comment by Artefact
    16:24 25/08/2010 # ! Incandescent

What part of reporting what people claim without endorsing that claim do you not understand?

There are at least half a dozen different and contradictory accounts of how the system works from supposed beta testers in the comments to this article alone (many of whom are clearly frothing at the mouth at anything less than worshipful said of Square Enix). Then there are the comments from Japanese players (who may be on a different version for all we know) translated in the article itself, and the vague statements by Square.

Unless Square Enix clarifies exactly how it does work I don't think the confusion will abate any time soon.

Comment by NakkiNyan
    18:21 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact you should know these trolls are too lazy too look things up themselves. Honestly SE has no clue how they are going to do it, each update changes so much shit some aspects of the game change overnight. I still can't see this being truly ready for 9/22 release, more like the PC release candidate 1.

02:41 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Except that I just finished playing for hours on my pugilist and never got hit with this surplus issue. You're either misinformed or flat out lying.

It does restrict you a bit after a while, but nowhere close to the degree implicated here.

23:50 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

square-enix square-enix please do understand the disappointments in FFXI was simply put it takes just as long (1-hour) to form a formidable party that at most would only last 30 mins-1hour of grinding how will that simply let players enjoy a game that requires constant amount of partying and TIME <_< plus people are paying you... this is just sad

23:46 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Whoever wrote this dreck should be punished. You need to cite your info using the full Japanese quote where they discussed a 1 hour limit, or openly apologize and correct your error.

I don't suppose any of the staff at SankakuComplex are actually in the Beta? If they were and had a clue they might see that there's no such 1 hour penalty. It is true that there is a fatigue system and players aren't happy with it. But it doesn't apply at the hour mark and it doesn't reduce your exp to 0. Most players encounter it only after 10 or more levels and several hours. So it is at least more subtle than that.

23:45 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the most funny part i think is that SquareEnix does not give a flying FUCK about how long the players will play or if they have lives and shit.

they just want to get the load of their server so SquareEnix would simply pay less in Server fees.

and thats the sad truth.

23:54 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think they may have found a way to keep FFXI alive, make XIV unplayable by all but the most casual of players.

I think I'll just keep paying my $12.95/month for FFXI, thank you very much.

23:59 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

INITIATE SELF-DESTRUCTION SEQUENCE

22:24 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Its not like I was going to play this game anyway.

22:20 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is all a ruse.
    An epic troll or the end of Final Fantasy.

19:33 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No WONDER Microsoft doesn't want FFXIV!

19:38 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is stupid, 1 hour is like just grabbing some potions in town and thats pretty much it.

19:56 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Square Enix is going to lose it's already dwindling fan base. Let these corporate assclows know, how you feel, don't buy thier product!

19:44 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You know this is possibly worse than all those daily-things in wow. Now every player has to PLAN how they play, what they do and so on. As if I played (and paid) to have my schedule even more cluttered!

Isn't gaming all about kicking back and enjoying your virtual slice-of-life at your own pace in your own way?

19:16 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

are you fucking serious? well i probably wont buy the game now! sucks for them cuz my friends won't buy it either after hearing about this shit lol

Comment by Crowbar
    18:36 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hasn't anyone noticed the GIANT BOOBS in the opening image?

Comment by Ekowc Crowzenbruhi
    03:05 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@__@ A rather nice pair of GIANT BOOBS!

18:50 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is going to fail...

Comment by SpideyPHL
    18:52 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've been giving SE a chance to show off ffxiv. I don't get the complaints about battle speed (it's quite fast in the third beta, if anything it's too fast for their servers to handle properly), but this system in combination with the lack of auction houses and the 48 hour cooldown on a failed quest (which, mind you, you can fail for reasons entirely not your fault like the currently unstable client crashing or disconnecting you) have made me cancel my preorder. I'm waiting to see if they improve things by the PS3 version now.

Incidentally, since I can't access the forums here and the forum threads I find on google on other sites keep getting closed, is anyone else having an issue seeing images on this site?

Comment by Artefact

It should be back later.

19:06 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

HAH!!! As if reducing my xp gain to 0 will stop me from playing.

Comment by Bakamoichigei
    19:00 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, good job assholes. The FFXIV design team must have NEVER PLAYED FFXI WITH REAL PEOPLE.

I remember doing my job quest... You spend an hour trying to get a group together to go after quest items, only to have someone with a critical combat role leave after two encounters, then you start all over again!!!

And that was when the game was actually POPULAR, and people were actually PLAYING IT.

Comment by SpideyPHL
    19:15 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What's worrying is that on the beta boards a lot of the old ffxi players actually want them to bring BACK the aimless grinding and over-reliance on groups for xiv. They don't seem to be listening to the beta testers anyway, but still.

20:04 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is completely fake. This "fatigue" system isn't a timed thing, you lose experience if the class you're playing is too high in relation to your other classes. For example: If the class you're playing is rank 16, but all your other classes are rank 0 you will begin to lose 10% exp per kill. If you continue ranking it up without ranking up another class the amount lost will gradually increase. If you rank up another class to an equal rank or even a little lower than that you will no longer lose experience for the main class you were playing. It's really shameful that someone would write an article like this without knowing anything about the subject at hand.

Comment by Artefact

So now we have two anonymous sources directly contradicting one another?

23:14 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

U MAD?

23:22 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

YUP HE MAD.

00:24 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh well, you're the one who is going to get ridiculed when the game releases without this "1 hour" fatigue system and when you realize that what I posted is correct. :)

Comment by Artefact

I never claimed their statements were correct - I am reporting what people were claiming. Make up your own mind about it.