Ubisoft: “Motion Controllers Must Become Standard”

kinect

Ubisoft has been singing the praises of motion controllers, but insists it must become a standard feature of all consoles if it is to take off.

jason_bandenberghe

Ubisoft creative director Jason VandenBerghe gave a presentation at the GDC Europe event, in which he lavished praise upon motion controllers:

“Have you ever fucked up pushing a button? Binary input is like drag racing. You have to hit the accelerator and keep going in a direction and not turn. It’s not hard.

Then analogue control was introduced, and this sustained us for 15 years. It’s worked great. If button pushing is like drag racing, analogue input is like Formula 1. You’re still on a track, though, and there are still guard rails.

Motion control is profoundly different. It’s screwed up the entire industry! The most important feature is the absolute, utter lack of guard rails. This turns the human being holding the controller into the constraint, and this makes a designer’s life a living nightmare.”

Motion control must become an industry standard, he says:

“Things might suck now, but I think they’ll get better. If they put motion control standard in the box, suddenly the model expands. THAT is money.

My recommendation to you is that you should ship on multiple platforms. Nobody will want you to. Sony won’t, Microsoft won’t, Nintendo won’t. But the market will…

Many genres will remain unchanged, and some people will still not want to exert themselves. But if the hardware remains an add-on, motion control will remain niche.”

However, when talking about the commercial failure of one of Ubisoft’s most ambitious motion controller games he concedes that the vast majority of players are unwilling to move when playing a game:

“We had to ask ourselves: how many gamers are willing to move? I don’t know how many there are, but it’s no higher than 20 per cent. That’s actually probably optimistic.”

Motion controller proponents may yet find that the primary limitation on uptake of the new controllers will be the players themselves, many of whom are unlikely to take to controllers requiring them to flail around madly, stand up or limit their gaming to large rooms.

16:10 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Where is the "total immersion game"?
    Where is the perfect virtual reality?
    Where is the game that whenever you play always will be different?

broken promises and stupid gadgets is what we have.

16:44 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think this guy is somewhat right. Kinect have potencial. Potencial that is now completely wasted on stupid gimicks. Only thing I dont agree with him is the part about motion controlers braking game "guard rails" - its not dependent on controler but on game design.

18:16 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i think they should do matrix. how cool is that, no need to move, but vr + motion control. dam maybe if i born 100 year later then maybe i can play game like that

16:58 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He's an idiot
    ...they should really concentrate on motion controller games...and then go bankruptcy...

Comment by Travosaga
    14:44 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What the hell is wrong with a regular controller? There hasn't been anything wrong with it since like 1986. I really don't understand why we have to change to these new motion setups that only serve to take you out of the game rather than immerse you further into it. I hate them.

Comment by mekiah
    14:42 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer sitting on my ass. Thank you.

16:01 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You sound fat.

Comment by mekiah
    18:02 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm quite the opposite. Troll harder.

Comment by SnooSnoo
    15:03 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The creative director looks real rad.

Comment by Tateha
    15:04 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wan to win in my videogames and get a great experience from it, not just flail my hands or body around randomly.

the problem with motion controls is that they are no where near as accurate or efficient in comparison to traditional controller schemes.

bad controls = harder to play = harder to win = no fun

no fun = no ones going to bother with this bullshit.

Comment by Xzone
    15:44 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Games that aim to offer some kind of challenge could never rely on motion controllers. A hard action game requires very accurate movement and timing, and once you get good at it, it's really satisfying/rewarding/fun.

Kinect is reserved for games that a chimpanzee could figure out.

Comment by Quack!
    15:10 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd disagree that "harder to win = no fun", but I do get your point.

15:04 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Button presses are still faster and more accurate than flailing your arms around like an idiot. I don't know why the industry keeps trying to push motion control on us.

Comment by Gitami
    16:57 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope they make feedbacks with those new motion controls.

It'll be the end of sports games, especially american football and boxing. But it'll be hell fun to watch someguy get tackled by imaginary opponents.

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    07:45 19/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What is written here is the Exact reason why people on the PS3 Don't talk trash to each other since mics are Not part of the package!

If the "ARCH"($80!) isn't part of the basic package on the PS3... It will NOT become the standard that third party companies will join into. And like the RRoD kineck($150!!); it will die and disappear like the keyboard add-on for the PS3~

Seriously. Who bought that half $C thing? $55+ add-on that is only used for home?! What the fuck? What happened to actual talking to people in home?! That was one of those many promises at the beginning of the PS3!

Comment by El Chaos
    05:27 19/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

“We’re in Baha buggy land with motion control. We can go wherever we like. There’s not even a finish line. Players can do whatever they want, and they do.

One word: screen. Or display, if you prefer.

Unless people develop the ability to see all around them, either through Exorcist-like neck twisting or some Naruto-ish "jutsu", there's no way somebody using a motion controller can do anything other than stand there flinging their limbs around like a fucking monkey while staring at the screen. That is, if they want to actually get shit done in the darn game.

So basically take your motion shit and use it in your shitty portable games, and leave us developed homines sapientes the fuck alone.

11:28 19/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What is it with gaming compabies and retarded statements recently?

11:29 19/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

*companies
    How embarassing.

11:41 20/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

he looks like a pedophile

01:14 20/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol @ motion controllers

*pets his PS2 pad* you and me forever

Comment by PrinceHeir
    12:52 19/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

umm no. the only motion control i really like is the wii mote and the move that's it. i think companies nowadays should lean towards on refining their gameplay rather than tacked on motion control and pretty graphics.

21:19 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Where's my Minority Report user interface?!!"

20:26 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone needed a better reason not to buy ubisoft shit anymore?
    They've really become a waglan loving shovelware dev.

Comment by Dia
    20:03 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

When I read the headline I thought it would be "Motion controllers must become standard for the gaming industry to flourish". I could've agreed with that. The money's with the casual console retards and they need to be milked.

I don't see myself ever using a motion controller. There's just not enough buttons to play the games I like.

22:42 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

On the subject of motion controllers:

00:31 19/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"...The motion sensor could have 1-1 control, incorporate 22-functions-Swiss-army-knife but that won't change the fact that without physical feedback motion controllers are unimmersive, in the long run they can only hope to suck in casual gamers with teaspoon-shallow minigames like wii sports... I say: Stop buying the wii, fuck project natal up the ass maybe this whole motion sensor trend can fuck off and make room for the next innovation..."
    Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw - Zero Punctuation

00:59 19/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i just hope if they make motion controllers the standard that they don't forget about use gamers that don't always want to be up and moving while we're gaming, because i for one like to be able to kick back and relax while i play most games

Comment by Fronzel
    14:30 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Players can do whatever they want, and they do"

What the fuck is he talking about? Motion controls haven't improved player freedom, they're just doing ths same old stuff but flopping around instead of pushing buttons.

12:56 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good for Ubisoft!

13:42 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No just..... no.

12:57 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How about motion controls that emulate a controller? Then we can hold a weightless controller and press buttons that aren't there. Completely handsfree, non-tiring, and no batteries required. Never have to go find your controller either, or borrow someone else's.

I would like to be that kinda lazy.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    13:18 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can easily imagine you asking for a motion controller fapping you, if you keep that sort of mindset...

Not like I wouldn't welcome such an addon myself... =P

Comment by Josetex
    12:50 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You should be able yo choose between a motion controller and a normal controller, I mean, i dont feel like moving my hands all the fuc**ng time!
    sometimes i just want to lie on my bed and just relax playing some olde games

Comment by CLC
    12:44 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol ubisoft, they make some of the worst games this gen

Comment by Lee1117
    13:36 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

True. But they also make some of the best games this gen as well.

13:42 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wut?

14:40 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

assassin's creed.... I do admit I like the game

Comment by Quack!
    15:09 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ubisoft is a brilliant development studio. Unfortunately, it has a complete moron as a creative director.

Comment by Kawaii
    13:22 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sort of want.

However, if Sony/Microsoft decide to ship these things in the box, they better not charge an arm and a leg. (e.g. Microsoft xBox 720 w/ Kinect 2 for $1200. Buy now!)

If they do, it just may kill console gaming rather than strengthen it.

Comment by End
    12:44 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Wii-mote and PS-Move are fine, because they sill have buttons. Overall i still feel like I'm holding a controller.

I wont Touch full motion controllers(Stuff like Kenect)until we get holograms(!!!) Otherwise its like walking in-place...in front of a screen....and thats boring!!! I want my Environment to move with me!!!!

I'll be sticking With my Standard controllers, Other controllers are just for party/friend entertainment.

Comment by Josetex
    12:44 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you should be able to choose between a motion controller and a standard controller, honestly, if I want to play a game for a long time i dont want to stay all the time moving around mi f**ng hands all the time. Sometimes you want to be lied on the bed, or in your chair in the craziest position ever made, as long as you dont have to move xD

Comment by Naison
    12:25 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll still make use of pushing buttons more than motion controls. It's what I grew up on.

13:37 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn straight I'm not gonna let these money hungry gimmick pushers control my games!

Controllers FTW!

Comment by X_Bacon
    12:29 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I still can't picture myself playing most of my games with motion controllers. I'll stick with old-school style for now, thank you...

Comment by Jack
    12:24 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hate ubisoft.

12:54 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ubisoft Trolusohard.

Comment by NeverSleep
    13:28 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

[2]

But for another reasons.

I know that it's impossible to play 2D fighters in motion controllers (and this is the only thing that matter to me, as I only play this genre or danmaku). But it's not like he's saying the other controllers should be extincted.

14:55 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Then I can't play those games... for I can't use my left hand

Comment by CC
    18:32 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You can mod your own controller for simple motion control ;)

Comment by Schrobby
    23:23 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Great for onehanded eroge usage. ^_-

Comment by DFC
    12:23 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Players can do whatever they want, look however retarded they want, but the motion sensors will never know. Also remember Endwar and its innovative voice command? I bet you didn't.

16:28 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Never played, but I used voice commands in 3D shooters to change weapons and use special items and its actually quite practical.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    13:12 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Never played that, but I have Lifeline for the PS2, and goddamn, it is hard because of the lousy voice recognition.

13:47 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I used to play Hey you! Pikachu! With shitty voice commands. That shit gave me and friends lols at how shitty it was to play.

14:05 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Shoot shoot shoot, reload, shoot

Naomi: "Okay i'll go back"

FFs, also if you think that the JP ver of Lifeline "Operator's Side" handles better the voice recognition then you will be in an entirely new world of pain.