US Military Moe Mangaka Harassed

us-military-alliance-moe-2.jpg

The mangaka responsible for illustrating the US military’s recent moe manga (visible here) has been receiving defamatory mail.

The writer of the manga, who is also known as the creator of military moe bishoujo “Mari-tan” and a vocal advocate of the alliance, explains on his Twitter account:

I have unfortunate news. It seems the illustrator responsible for the Japan-America alliance comic [Yukio Hirai, who also works on Mari-tan] has been getting defamatory mail. The illustrator is actually non-political.

The story and text were my work, so if there is something you want to say, say it to me!

[…]

And the manga’s message is that of the US military, and not that of the illustrator.

Whether an illustrator working on military propaganda can legitimately claim to be “non-political” is of course open to debate, as is the question of whether the mangaka should be held directly responsible for taking the work, or whether the Eichman-esque defence of “just following orders” should absolve them from the becoming a legitimate target for criticism.

In any case, it certainly seems naive on the part of the mangaka to think that penning a manga in support of Japan’s highly controversial (if widely supported) military dependence on the USA would pass without notice.

us-military-alliance-moe-1.jpg

09:33 17/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Artefact where the hell did you get that patch tell us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15:25 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Does anyone know where i could buy the bustin my ass patch i would love it for my bdu for airsofting

12:34 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

where can i buy that patch

Comment by Y10NRDY
    14:27 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yeah, but I just want to know where the fuck I can get the patch and the awareness ribbon. Epic shwag.

15:27 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Seconded would love to know where to get the patch

i didn't find it, but search the webs for "Morale Patch", I'm sure you'll find nice stuff
    e to compensate

11:54 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Where can I get that patch?

07:21 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

How could you not like the cute military lollies?

02:07 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"Eichman-esque"

Jesus, calm down. It is admittedly propaganda, but I don't see it as being particularly harmful propaganda. It's more like the pointless anti-drug or pro-breastfeeding propaganda. Nothing to get exited about.

08:32 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ha ha ha... Japan-U.S. alliance, double team whoop-ass, "kiss ass alliance" would be more suitable.

06:42 19/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Anyone found out where you can get that patch? I will sell you my soul for one :D

11:50 19/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am having them custom made. reach me at:

uchikoma.x@gmail.com

Comment by doomtrooper
    09:19 18/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I just want to know where that patch came from! I want it!

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    10:42 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Love it how they rail upon the American Military. There was marches every six months or so in protest over the retirement of the shitty kitty CV-63 to be replaced by an CVN in Yokosuka. Ahhh.. the good ol' days~
    When I was there, there was a period manga of a name I can't recall any longer that took place during WWII in Manchuria where there stayed a Japanese Doctor dealing with the turbulence or war. Very popular since the episode I saw was in the hundreds already. But this one I picked up casual on the racks covered the RAPE OF NANKING--- and the common reaction of the soldiers to it. The Doctor was appalled, but was put down with a smack and put down by a Colonel as what I seemed to see. Amazed by it I did a mental double take and smiled about the courage of the author and put it back on the racks... I curse myself for not buying it!
    Because guess what? IT DISAPPEARED TWO DAYS LATER when I decided to come back to buy it! I found out later that there was a huge stink over it and many Japanese wrote and called in to deride the chapter~ The series took a few months break so the editors could white wash the no doubt already follow up chapters and it disappeared for months before coming back. In the takubans I checked out a year later also scrubbed it clean.

Japanese have very~ very tender skins

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    11:22 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I dug thru my piles of old hentai mangas and dug up the title of the manga. It was called 'Koku ga Moeru' published by YOUNG JUMP COMICS
    ______
    The series where broken up in years and the only two chapters I have takes place in -Chp 59- Showa 7(1932) [Winter] and -Chp 73- Showa 11 (1936) [Autumn?] the year before the RAPING of NANKING so I was on and off buying the magazine before the chapter showed up.. which I believe was in the hundreds by then.

It's a laugh that Japanese call it all a fabrication when I read a translated letter from a lowly soldier Brag about how he "tamed" the many ignorant women then. He admitted that he was scared first when his friends dragged out the women and began beating and RAPING them, but was then caught up in the orgy feast. He promised that when he cooled down (blew his "load" dry) the "training" began at a decent clip~~~~~~ Loving respect to father!

Very.. Very tender skins

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    11:38 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So tender that even college weeds even published the accounts of this incident:

Everyone put down yer nerd and give it a gander. This shit happened SIX years ago and involved dirty rotten politicians Again!

10:39 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

“just following orders”

Just like all those Japanese war criminals, am i rite?!? *rimshot*

07:34 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A certain Japanese conservative critic points out that China at heart wishes for the continuance of the alliance for sealing Japan's potential power.
    I wonder who gets profit by anti-alliance movement except Japan's radical nationalists.

08:24 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

When North Korea invades Japan they'll be thanking the US for saving their hides.

08:29 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Implying that it would happen.

13:29 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

With whats been happening in the Mid-East and the jihad factions, Japanese xenophobia, the disgrace that American rapists have brought upon (I hope they get their asses slammed in Ft. Leavenworth), this mangaka PR issue, and rise of sentiment against this American-Japanese alliance it might be wise to just leave Japan. Then, maybe, return after the Japanese beg us to do so if they get their asses handed to them by the Chinese and/or North Koreans. I believe there was another comment on Japan getting an alliance with China. Last I checked a lot of Chinese hate Japan, especially with regards to Nanking during WWII. One Chinese guy even said Japan deserved the a-bombs. With their low birthrate, their going to need mechs or robot soldiers or something if US forces ever ditch them.

07:55 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think those internet bullies might want to try another tactic. If the best they can do is harassing illustrators they'll never get what they want. I hope they enjoy another 50 years of military co-operation.

07:46 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

there you go ...
    always "small" individual being a target,
    people never think the big picture who is actually behind this ...

13:37 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I like how people like to point fingers at japan for being xenophobic, yet; a lot of the comments on sankaku reek of xenophobia itself.

19:02 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

We just want the fucking patch kiddo. So either provide a means to aquire it or GTFO.

Comment by Julius "Tom" Jones
    00:50 17/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Im not American but I still think that Patch is pretty freaking AWESOME!! (I want one too)

I think that the Americans are kinda cute for making a Moe Manga. (Wonder if the Chinese would make one if the shit hit the fan and America closed for business??)

10:33 17/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Butthurt Japanese can't get over their loss in WW2. Deseverd it though, the amount of Korean, Dutch, Chinese woman and men being abused and killed by them was horrendous. It was war, U lost, get over it Japan.

14:25 18/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That was a very retarded comment coming from you. What a failure.

12:56 19/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Using the opinion of Sankaku Complex as a representative for the collective opinions of Japan would be a mistake.

15:08 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

... The whole thing's like telling me to forsake money even though I need it.

07:09 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's artist's website. You can send him support or insult him some more.

19:42 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You are all used fags! Money is money!

21:23 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

haha. US military’s moe manga ????

Almost Japanese people doesn't know that manga.
    Only 2ch : knowing lol

11:32 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>or whether the Eichman-esque defence of “just following orders” should absolve them from the becoming a legitimate target for criticism.

Because the murder of innocent people is easily equatable to being hired to write a P.R. piece.

Comment by Dirty_Dingus008
    11:40 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Don't feed the "intellectual troll" too much. It'll get a ulcer~

07:12 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

if the US military is releasing a manga in support of the American-pacific alliance to win Japanese support then it means the relations between the two are deteriorating...AGAIN! plus the fact it received negative responses must mean the situation is at an even worse predicament than i thought....

i take it the ones complaining are of Okinawan descent since a certain US base there had many issues in the past there or so i heard at least so i guess its only natural then.

07:27 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Go read the actual polls man. That will actually give you more accurate ideas of what's going on instead of speculating on your own.

SPOILER: Most Japanese prefer to have American military presense instead of having to support their own defense assets entirely.

Comment by Artefact

Most Okinawans do not want the presence, and of course most Japanese expect that the bases will all be kept quietly out in Okinawa...

Comment by Myballz
    15:11 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought the Japanese dislike Okinawans?

07:20 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

actually, most japanese people just don't really care about the comic beside that it features moe moe characters. in the recent polls in japan still indicats the vast majority of her population prefer to be under american military umbrella. rather than spending even more of their shrinking economy on their own military defenses. the low birthrate doesn't help in bringing new soldiers either.

03:35 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Xenophobia is rearing its ugly head again? Not very much in terms of NEWS right?

Also, if anything, you can always count on timely troll infestation for each and every petty issue out there.

03:14 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bad economy, recession, etc. People have to make ends meet, y'know.

Comment by 美しい音
    03:24 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Some mangakas should team up and work on some anti-american titles. Were that to influence some overseas rage, we'd once again see democracy at it's best.

00:29 16/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That was already done with.... Although Lulu died at the end.... heh...

03:36 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, this is right. As an artist-for-hire, the mangaka is inevitably going to accept work that he might not agree with. If he finds it extremely offensive, obviously he's not going to work on it, but if it's not that big a deal, sometimes you just have to do things you aren't 100% behind to make a living. It's no more selling out than any other job.

The writer is expecting to get flamemail, so he should be the sole target.

07:08 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Where can I get that patch!?

03:56 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How is it open for debate that its non-political? A job is a job regardless of where it came from. I highly doubt the illustrator chose to work because he's pro US military rather than the fact he's getting paid.

03:52 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Military alliance? What a joke.

It's more like Japan cowering under the shadow of the US Military and relying on it to protect them against North Korea and China.

They're nothing more than parasites.

04:06 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"The United States Forces Japan, or USFJ (在日米軍, Zainichi Beigun?) refers to the various divisions of the United States Armed Forces that are stationed in Japan. Under the Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security between the United States and Japan, the United States is obliged to defend Japan in close cooperation with the Japan Self-Defense Forces for maritime defense, ballistic missile defense, domestic air control, communications security (COMSEC) and disaster response operations."

"After the Japanese surrender in World War II, the United States Armed Forces acquired the overall administrative authority in Japan. All of the Japanese Imperial Army and Navy were decommissioned and all of their military bases were taken over by the United States Armed Forces. The allied countries planned to demilitarize Japan, and the U.S. imposed the Constitution of Japan with a no-armed-force clause in 1947."

"In 1951, the Treaty of San Francisco was signed by the allied countries and Japan, which restored its formal sovereignty. At the same time, the U.S. and Japan signed the Japan-America Security Alliance. By this treaty, the USFJ are legally responsible for the defense of Japan and in return for this, the Japanese government has offered military bases, funds and various interests as defined by the Status of Forces Agreement."

etc, etc.

for those of u who just said "FK THAT! TL;DR!", it means that japans not a "parasite" as the above anon mentioned. they never entered into this compact willingly, so i cant see how theyre "parasites" in the alliance when the japs are the ones paying for the protection...

00:31 16/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah it means that America gets the rights to rape Japanese highschool girls.... what a joke for an alliance!

Comment by 美しい音
    04:07 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Korea has its own inner conflict to take care of while China's busy overthrowing USA. Neither of those two countries give a shit about Japan even if it's being "protected". So why waste time and resources to cover up this alleged occupation with media, when you could just pull back and take your crapocracy back to where it came from?

Comment by Master Slavehandler
    18:39 16/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Zomg, quit your whining you silly chink. Stop being butthurt and get over the fact that Japan kicked the shit out of china during the war.

Comment by Hitoritaka
    04:31 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol Are you kidding me? Japan would be the FIRST target should N Korea decide to "demonstrate" anything.

Comment by Hitoritaka
    10:03 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So in short, the only part of that rant that was specific to our topic was that we're refusing Japan the opportunity to sign a treaty (or contract) with Russia? And you're against that action without having read the treaty unless I'm incorrect. And if you GIVE a shit about the Vast world, get out and see how things are in it before talking about it. I've been there, I have an opinion about how things are there. So just nod your head "yes" that you're anti-US based on what you've read from other people. I'll stay pro-US in asia, based on what I've read and seen.

Comment by 美しい音
    07:56 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

On the contrary, I'm exactly basing my opinion on the political and military history of the past few decades.
    To be honest, I was a pro-American until I turned 16. That's the age when I actually began to give a shit about the wast world rather than my own little secluded country, with its ass licking mentality, the prime minister of which promises Obama to build 5 Silicon Valleys on the Baltic coast, ignores the interests of the EU and UN, and continues to rob its people of their possessions and free speech under the slogans of democracy and uncle sam's pats on the back.

If you'd like, I'd gladly go back a few decades and provide examples of America's political and military affairs, goals and roles in WWII, Vietnam, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iraq, Afghanistan, Georgia, Iran, Taiwan, China.
    I do hope you're aware of the fact that America is constantly engaged in media wars with Russia and China. However I am uncertain whether you're keeping yourself up to date on the actual process, nor whether you're reading the Asian, Middle-Eastern and European press, aside from watching your local TV stations.
    Hmm, I also believe that you still haven't been informed why the U.S. was so pissed when Russia stepped into the Ossetian-Gergian military conflict during 2008. Why Georgia had the means to make it happen.
    How the U.S. government decided to appeal to the Chinese over the astronomic debt matters.
    How U.S. refuses Japan the opportunity to at least sign a peace treaty with Russia, a matter which should have been dealt with back in 1945, but had still be left unattended.
    Or how America is in a financial debt to almost every country on the planet.

No? Haven't considered those?
    Well, before you'll start distinguishing the lesser and greater evils, I'd suggest you do a throughout study on world affairs through the eyes of those outside the U.S. Believe me, it'll leave you beyond speechless.

Comment by Hitoritaka
    07:21 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why would I ask you? You're just looking at it from an anti-US view rather than a historical, political, or military standpoint.

What you are quoting as the Japanese opinion is the opinion of the minority.

Oh, and I guess the rhetoric was too much, so I'll state it clearly:I've lived in east asia, and have studied all of those things. Even without studying that, it should be clear that N Korea with its ridiculous army sitting next to Japan with only its defense force is just silly. After N Korea resolves, I can see a possibility of US forces withdrawing from S Korea and Japan, but still not too likely since it IS a good foothold in that part of the world. But then, it'd have to be PURELY political and approved by either host nation.

Comment by Hitoritaka
    06:23 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol So then, have you lived in there, or studied the N Korean mindframe? Are you in a military of any sort, or have you studied propaganda, public relations, and the mindframe of the US Army? That whole saying about more flies with honey than vinegar is our current practice. And take a look at our overseas strength in east asia. The numbers are going down, but not away. lol@ turning into occupation. Yep, we're just waiting for a good excuse to take over Japan ;)

Comment by 美しい音
    06:52 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Having considered the world's recent history of political affairs, it's really not that hard to determine the mindset of the west. And it seems that you're no exception to the vast majority of Americans out there.

It has become clear that neither the Japanese, nor the Japanese government see a military U.S. base on their land appealing. If the Japanese don't want protection, REGARDLESS of the fact that they 'might' be invaded, why is the U.S. so persistent to stay there?

Are the U.S. intentionally trying to say "You're a bunch of stupid little piggies that don't know danger even if it pokes you in the eye, thus we, the righteous, intelligent ones, will protect you whether you like it or not. Oh, and by the way, you do NOT have the right of free speech, as that's how democracy works in our world."

Or are they simply trying to keep that area of land at bay for their own personal interests?

If you were to ask me, I'd say it's the later.

Comment by 美しい音
    05:05 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And uncle sam launches pigs into orbit.
    I'd bet anything that Japan would be better off in military alliances with China and Russia, rather than with the self-acclaimed bringers of peace and order.
    Nothing changes the fact that it's an enforced protection (Hatoyama anyone?) which inherently turns it into an occupation. If the Japanese would be so happy to kiss american ass, no one would bother hiring mangakas to push forward political ideologies.

05:03 15/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Japanese actually have a substantial 'self-defense' force.