Publisher: “Selling Unfinished Games Will Defeat Piracy”

codemaster-ceo-rod-cousens

The CEO of Codemasters has been caught saying that he thinks selling “unfinished” games to customers is a much more effective strategy than investing in DRM.

Codemasters CEO Rod Cousens sees the answer to piracy not as enacting draconian copy protection but as nickel-and-diming consumers by selling them an incomplete game and then having them buy the rest as downloadable content:

I’m not necessarily a fan of DRM measures. I think sometimes they’re almost counter-productive. I can still be persuaded on them, and I completely understand why they exist.

But my initial thought is that DRM is not the answer to the piracy issue.

The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games – and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience.

That would create an offering that is affordable at retail – but over a period of time may also generate more revenue for the publishers to reinvest in our games.

If these games are pirated, those who get their hands on them won’t be able to complete the experience. There will be technology, coding aspects, that will come to bear that will unlock some aspects. Some people will want them and some won’t.

When it comes to piracy, I think you have to make the experience the answer to the issue – rather than respond the other way round and risk damaging that experience for the user. But I may be a lone voice in that.

[…]

Piracy has been there forever. Whether we care to admit it or not and whether we say it’s right or wrong, it’s a factor. It’s never going to go to zero.

Lyndon B Johnson once said ‘you want to be on the inside pissing out rather than the outside pissing in’ – and I wholeheartedly agree. Look at the partial demise of the record industry – they never embraced technology, they fought technology and I think that created a huge downturn vacuum for them.

Consumers may find themselves needing an umbrella in short order.

• Oh, really?

How about I give him another idea:
    If they are SO set up that piracy is the same as stealing a physical car from a store, and want to treat software as physical items, then let’s do it.

They will have law protection against pirates until they earn the set profit margin (let’s say 20%) of the cost they had to pay, or until a period of e.g. two years expires.

I don’t seem to remember Ford making a *single* car and earning money off of it for the next 80 years. They have to make that car model over and over again, using their funds to buy materials, pay people for constant work – but publishers think they can “ride” on a single game/program till the end of their lives – since they’re still selling old classics – “Oh, hey guys, let’s take this game from 1997, merge it with emulator for XP and sell as a new game”… GOD, those people piss me off.

• Anonymous says:

Who is he kidding? They’ve been selling unfinished games since 0-day patches became standard.

But what he’s described in this article is called trialware or shareware. Standard marketting technique for three decades, at least. Get a “demo” or cheap limited version with a code or coupon for getting a cheap “full” version.

The real way to fight piracy is the way Stardock does it— give the game its own key, have NO DRM, and make fun games. People that like the game will buy the game. People that don’t will play the game and pass it along to other people— free advertising. Stardock releases bonus FREE material for their games after they’ve been out a while, to reward customers who bought the game. Works well for them.

• Anonymous says:

“I’m not necessarily a fan of DRM measures. I think sometimes they’re almost counter-productive.”

What about the games the have flopped simply because they were released ‘unfinished’?

Also means they will have to implement some way of backing up & running the game WITHOUT an Internet connection (or any kind of link to their server), a thing at which Steam fails miserably (& they get constant complaints about).

And if any company using any sort of online system in their games goes out of business they should provide a patch or some sort of system where the game will still be playable. I have a large number of DOS games that I still play, will you still be able to play today’s games 10-20 years in the future?

• Anonymous says:

Well then couldn’t you just pirate the DLC? It’s like instead of stealing someone’s stack of pancakes, you’re stealing it one pancake at a time.

Or am I missing something?

• Actually he never said it’ll defeat piracy and simply consented it’ll never be zero.
    Though this plan could be bad for the customer.
    If you pay $10 several times you’ll end up paying more then you would have for a full game.

• Anonymous says:

I think they got their thoughts wrong, selling unfinished games will INCREASE piracy..nobody is going to pay money for an unfinish game.. then again this is codemasters so what really great things have they done lately besides uh webgames?

• Anonymous says:

Yup! This is it! Selling a manga, anime or game by installment that any consumer can buy them, piece by piece, will solve this issue! But I wonder if it will be available for everybody, even the people outside US or Japan….

• Anonymous says:

Well that’s a pretty clever idea, as long as I can buy half of the game in DVD and the other half on internet for the same price that I am currently paying for full-version dvd games. The problem with this is that, Publishers may get a little bit cocky and may start telling you “if you want to know the final chapter, you can buy it for 29.99, but first you have to buy 3 more expansions before reaching the final chapter for just 49,95″… And that’s gonna f*uck up all the entire industry….

• Anonymous says:

so basicly what he said was:

I’m not a fan of DRM. My idea is to instead publish unfinished games that have DRM that prevent pirated copies from being able to play the dowloaded parts to finish the game

THE FUCK!?

though if this makes the game you buy retail cheaper i’m not necessarily against it

• Anonymous says:

The answer is simply NO DRM PERIOD and a FAIR PRICE! Unfortunately, most of these companies like to try to hold you over a barrel…. doesn’t work with me, doesn’t work with my friends, doesn’t work with anyone else that I know.

• Anonymous says:

also they should consider lowering their prices, i think if they were cheaper a lot of people would buy them, but to be honest almost all are rather hight priced, if not ridiculously high, and most game are a big dissapointment.

• Anonymous says:

yeah that way they can fool artists and programmers by saying work for me on future royalties then decide not to continue and keep getting all to themselves, like they always do.

• Anonymous says:

Or they could just release good games.
    I heard the Wii’s the easiest console to pirate yet mario galaxy sold like big macs.

Or is his idea like giving people part of the game so they can buy the rest if they like it?
    That already exist, they’re called demos and few games do them because shit games wouldn’t sell if people knew they were shit.

Seems like Kotick is getting more supporters for his army of doom, soon they’ll bring the apocalypse upon everyone.

• Talk about disconnected. That approach would make me want to ignore the game completely for a while, and then grab a torrent with all the add-ons already included rather than weigh the option of purchasing each piece of DLC for a game that’s not finished (but probably costs a full retail game’s price.)

• Anonymous says:

I’ll buy the game for a premium if it gets overwhelmingly positive reviews or I’m intrigued by the concept, as long as it is offered as a whole (from start to finish), on a long-lasting data carrier (game cartridge, cd, dvd, etc.) and I can play it today or in 20 years (as long as I own a suitable working platform), without having to resort to data hunting for long-lost chunks of a game, the world has forgotten ever existed. I believe other avid gamers/collectors feel the same way.

• Anonymous says:

you know how to fight piracy? make a game so damn good that consumer won’t mind paying for it, and i mean so damn good that pirate will tell themself “SHIT, this game is so good, i feel bad pirating it” or just publish it in unhackable system

yeah, i know my english suck

• Anonymous says:

“That would create an offering that is affordable at retail…”

So, ultimately, players spend less on games at retail and only buy what they actually want on top of that. It’s somewhere in between the traditional retail model and the uncommon but fair episodic model, and it has the potential to prevent piracy without call for intrusive and inconvenient DRM measures.

Oh em gee controversial!

You know those things we use to communicate with – they’re called “words” – yeah, it’s helpful if you actually take them on board before you complain about them.

I fucking hate gamers.

• It seems that he was talking about more than DLC because he said and you wouldn’t be able to complete the game. One game that had this happen was Arkham Asylum, which had a patch that added physX and some other important shit after release (for legit buyers too). Of course this did diddly because the patch was cracked.

To me it seems doubtful that they could make an uncrackable patch.

• All this does is pissed off the people who are buying the game, sheesh and what about DSL users or does with small bandwidth, games now a days, don’t go under 4 Gigs and you expect everyone to have fast internet ? All i see this measure does is make the pirates more likely to crack,hack and redistribute it.

• Anonymous says:

it prevents piracy just to a minumun, and it allows the industry to make even more money. It is the same as if you would buy an addon. but alltogether it will be more expensive for the customer

• Anonymous says:

Ya that’ll work, because we all know that DLC can’t be pirated… It’s not like everything that has been released as PC DLC has been pirated within a week… O wait, it has, Fallout 3 DLC, Sims DLC, ect.

I am actually disappointed with how DLC has come along in the past few years. When the current generation of games systems came out and offered DLC I thought, cool softwere updates to fix bugs and some expansion to content like new levels and characters.

While we did get all that what we also got was a way to milk a cash cow for shitloads of money. Take Little Big Planet, you pay $60 for the game and if you buy every piece of DLC for it you will likely pay another $120+. Super Street Fighter IV is only $40 but they got over $20 worth of DLC costumes that make no difference to gameplay.

So even tho DLC is good in theory its implementation has been crap so far, and I highly doubt that the kinda business model this guy is pitching could do anything other than fail in a massive shitstorm.

• Anonymous says:

This is exactly like how EA games try to suck in as much revenue for SIMS 3. They will keep offering downloadable content for a certain fee and you have to keep buying new upgrades. Pretty soon, game publishers will take advantage of this fact and consumers end up paying small little fees for small essentials that accumulate over time. The end result is paying a lot more than the value of the game.

• Anonymous says:

And then pirates will just have to be patient, wait till the completed game is fully posted, crack that, and distribute.

Of course, that would mean the company has already made its money off of it, so maybe this is a win-win solution after all.

• moebius22 says:

Game developers are already following his line of thought. Ever since consoles were able to download content games have been becoming more like PC games in terms of bugs and the need for patches.

EA and Activision have already made it mandatory to pay a fee to use online content with used games.

• Fronzel said:
    You're talking about Paradox, aren't you?

Those guys are so cute.

Paradox, every title I have ever downloaded from them so I could at least say I knew what the game looked like before talking about it has failed to remain on my computer by the end of the day. Their games are so fucking crummy that even free is not adequate.

• Anonymous says:

Is that why they are making 3D tv sets now because they are finished? LOL X-fags are lulzy.

And anyone who agrees with this guy is A) An idiot or B)Is unaware of how piracy works. Pirates can still access DLC too.

• Anonymous says:

So they are gonna sell incomplete games for 59.99 US instead of complete games for 59.99.

Thats’s just an excuse to charge people for money. If that happens, people will just stop buying games and start playing incomplete games.

• Anonymous says:

only way this is fair; SELL THE GAME CHEAPER AND RELEASE DLC TO FINISH IT TO MAKE IT REGULAR PRICE

EXTRA DLC FOR END GAME STUFF SHOULDN’T BE STUFF THAT WAS JUST CUT FROM THE GAME BY CHEAP-ASSES

no more caps now -3-

• RunnerRed says:

The shareware model wasn’t that bad but put like that, you would have to pay for a demo, pay the may game (ok, this one is right), spend some bandwidth, pay for additive mass storage…

not to mention there are numerous places even in AAA countries you still don’t have DSL.

But the real idea is no to fight piracy, but used game sales. i just love the hypocrisy, it’s like “let’s censor anything, it’s ..er.. for the children..i
      i swear”

However, I wouldn’t be completely unfavorable to that for small developers (only): it would enable to finance long-run projects.

• Ugh. This is nothing but a pointless nickel-and-diming scheme to take our money–not like gaming companies haven’t been sucking us dry recently anyway (I’m looking at YOU, Bioware).

Though I do have to give him kudos: he actually thought consumers were stupid enough to connect his train of moon-logic between overcharging and laziness and destroying piracy. Either that or he really is so delusional that he thinks that the ‘codes’ or whatever that he wants to put in will actually thwart hackers from just figuring out a way to trick the system into thinking that the pirated DLC is legit DLC (or that the pirated game is real to the legit DLC)…or, hell, just pirating the entire set and being done with it.

*sigh*

Insane DLC, lazy designers, overpriced tripe that passes as ‘entertainment’…Isn’t that sort of thing one of the reasons why people pirate in the first place?

• Anonymous says:

actually Bioware is an interesting example, Bioware has been doing exactly THIS with ME2 and DA, initially the DLCs didnt have any story the latest ones try to “bridge” between the game and the sequel’s story, however in the end they suck ass, worst of all they make gamers that were stupidly pulled into those DLCs regret buying them, get sick of that game (which is not good if the sequel is coming soon) and hate the devs in general

oh, and btw, every single one was available as a pirated version as soon as released (before released in the case of some DA dlcs)

this is just a lame attempt at minimize production costs while blaming the usual target

• I played Borderlands,Fallout 3,Fable,Fable 2,Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 which did have DLC I have notice Fallout 3 actually sell Expansion Disk if people choose not to Download it.

Of course their is a market for expansion games for Incomplete games if people believe the game has potential to be fun and challenging people would buy it or not.

• Yes, but It’s more than that, too.

It’s recently become popular to discharge a chunk of your workforce when a game is completed, then rehire new people to develop the next one.

The DLC model, whatever it’s faults, allows companies to retain their staff until the market will bear another full game. This is a good thing, and should be supported. It’d be an easier sell, though, if the DLC was better made, and supported, though.

• Ultimately, people will have to determine that outrageous executive compensation is not in our economic interest. Perhaps that’ll happen sometime in the next century.

It’ll happen a lot sooner if the programmers learn that they have to become their own ‘executives’. Expect lots of stupid red tape to try and prevent that, though.

• It’d be an easier sell, though, if the DLC was better made, and supported, though.

The overall problem with DLC is that the whole concept of DLC is to offer minimal game content at higher prices, so as to milk that little bit of money out of the gamer. In the sense of company costs, sure it’ll be more helpful from an economic standpoint, but it’s debatable whether or not it will go in the interest of the consumer.

But, if DLC was in higher quality, it would probably be supported by consumer and by developer alike, but really, if companies aren’t going to make high quality DLC (which they usually don’t. I mean, I’m still kicking myself for some of the Oblivion DLC I bought when it first came out: 3.00 for Horse Armor? REALLY?–though don’t quote me on the exact price, because I could be wrong), then gamers shouldn’t waste time getting it. It would probably be a better idea to just make full-on expansion packs like they’d been doing with computer games for years, and on top of that, put more effort in quality in the games they do already dish out.

• Anonymous says:

but they wont be “better made”, DLC by definition are as cheap as possible, they will never be as good as an old style full expansion pack, the size prevents the dev of having any kind of ambition with it and making it bigger goes against their intention of selling even more DLC

• Or maybe, just maybe the “solution” to piracy – like it always has been, would be to actually create epic good games from day one, that people will want to buy?

Yeah, I know. That actually takes some passion and effort, instead of just slapping on a DRM.

“Dear” Codemasters CEO, go ask companies like Blizzard and Valve how much they are butthurt over piracy. Their games aren’t laced up the asshole with DRM, are easily cracked and yet they are still making piles of cash. You know why? Because they make good bloody games!!! Something you and the rest of the soulless corporate suits in the industry forgot.

• Anonymous says:

Add lowering the prices to that as well (since NO ONE can afford 100 dollars a game anymore!) AND having a way that if your DVD/CD is damaged that you can get a new one…… then we can talk.

• Anonymous says:

Does anyone remember id Software’s original model?

The shareware version of Quake was complete and un-crippled.

People got hooked on the excellent-quality game, then bought additional levels from id.

Software patches (corrections to the game) were free for D/L off the company’s website. They worked on both the shareware and “full” (all levels-included) versions.

To apply to JRPGs, the shareware version has to have a _complete_ storyline, and the add-ons have to be an _additional_, follow-on storyline.

I suppose they could also include extra costumes and stuff, as well.

What set id’s games apart from the competition was first-person-perspective; it was a quantum jump in game quality.

I don’t see that happening in JRPGs. The best the studios can do — IMHO; I’m not a game designer/artist/code monkey — is to create workflow and production tools which allow the game people to efficiently create high-visual-quality, fluid-moving games, with fewer people.

With less investment required _per game_, the studios could affort to be less reflexively, convulsively greedy, and still make a good profit. Retail game prices could be lowered, which will increase sales, and reduce illegal copying.

There will always be some illegal copying, but if people are getting good value for their money, a majority is willing to fork over the cash.

• Anonymous says:

[quote]name one who’s singleplayer couldn’t be easily played with cracked pirate version[/quote]
          WoW

If you pay attention, you will realize that Blizzard are raining C&D letters (or is it DMCA notices now?) on anyone who tries to make a 3rd party WoW server.

• Dumb ideas remain dumb ideas.

I buy wargames, they come as digital downloads. They have nothing but a serial required. NOTHING else required.

But being highly complex highly detailed very technically accurate simulations getting them perfect for sale is a get over it can't happen reality. So the company releases patches immediately and regularly for the first couple of years. The patches kill illegal serials.

In the end, playing a knowingly not 100% wargame and even being able to KNOW what is not totally correct about it makes it pointless to play an illegal download. Wargamers are like that, we simply ain't going to put 100 hours into a game we know has a minor glitch that ruins the credibility that we know has been found and fixed with a patch.

Good wargames are constantly under examination and being tweaked.

Now to intentionally release a game that is intentionally unfinished and not complete, I think he could have used more intelligent language.
    The market has more than enough examples of buggy crap. And you don't want to even get close to being mistaken as such.

Maybe he should have said market games as basic edition, and then make the deluxe version require additional bonus content for the maximum experience. And in that way, not fret over the basic game being pirated if it does get pirated. Just call then full release demos.

• wow… I nominate him for ‘asshole of the year’.

also, aren’t the game-companies *already* selling unfinished games? especially for the PC you usually can’t even get the game to run without first downloading a plethora of patches.
    so basically now they want you to pay for those patches.

great news everyone!

• Figures it would be Codemasters… A company where you have to sign up on their website with an encryption code in order to get unlock codes that only work with your save data. Lose your data & your codes are worthless.

• Anonymous says:

People, wake up. This is as much a measure to combat piracy as internet censorship is a measure to combat child porn.

It’s just a fucking EXCUSE to rip us off. He knows full well that this isn’t going to change jack shit, but legitimate customers will just have to pay more. And you’re all idiots for falling for it, thinking it has to do with piracy. They’re just out for extra money from legitimate customers.

If you can’t get money from pirates, just rip off legitimate customers to make more money.

Fuckers.

• “Consumers may find themselves needing an umbrella in short order.” lol implying that we’re the ones getting pissed on.

Even if they did this people will just pirate unfinished games anyway, and the only people to take a hit from this are the ones actually paying for half finished games.

Maybe we should piss on him…

• Anonymous says:

behold, the wise words of a greedy bastich who shuns a mirror
    i will never buy a small plastic disk that costs more than ~10eur without having tried the whole thing out in advance
    no amount of reviews can guarantee me that the game will be good, not even a demo can
    piracy is not right, but when i hear a greedy asshole defend his rights to sell these things, the contents of which are reproduced at close to no cost, for 30+eur and later to charge more, right before he sits his ass in his car which cost more than many peoples home… ugh
    as long as the industry is run by punks like this i will feel no shame for pirating all i can and buying the good stuff when it costs 15eur and less
    recently i bought evangelion 1.11, available for 20usd on amazon, at my local newsagent for 2eur
    actually, over here theres been a surge of old and almost fresh blockbuster titles sold legally for 4eur and less
    thats cheaper than i ever hoped for
    so cheap i almost want to go ask the distributors to raise the prices cos they makee great titles look like dirt
    so it is possible, the greedy warts just wont do it unless piracy makes them

• I see it as a trap to have you pay 60 bucks 4 possible half-garbage and 5-10 bucks to complete said garbage can. With additional 2-3 bucks to add flies and maggots in your garbage can of course to get that full ambience. Additional wildlife may still not be included.

• I don’t think publishers can ever come up with an answer to piracy. As I see it, pirated stuff isn’t just free, but also superior to the original. I bought exactly three PC games in my entire life and couldn’t get any of them to work. On the other hand, pretty much every pirated game did work immediately without any complications. Okay, those experiences date back a few decades, but it doesn’t seem like there were much changes. Now I am happy with linux and don’t really play games at all.

• Anonymous says:

selling unfinished games is a common practice since many years. i know there are some, but i don’t remember at least one game which didn’t come with a patch. The only difference is that you will have to pay for those patches in future.

but i don’t think that will result in any decrease of piracy at all. you just have to gather all those pieces of game content from someone who bought that and than redistribute them together.

• Anonymous says:

All computer software gets regular patches. Are you trying to convince us that all computer software is “unfinished”?

Typical game patches address minor things, such as bugs and balance issues, similarly to… well any software.

The only way to guarantee that a certain peace of software can never fail is to prove it mathematically, which while possible in theory, is very impractical for most purposes.

• This solves nothing.
    step 1. pirate the unfinished game.
    step 2. rage.
    step 3. pirate the dlc.
    step 4. play the game at no cost.

alliteratively.
    step 1. buy the unfinished game.
    step 2. rage.
    step 3. buy the dlc.
    step 4. play the game.

• BaltazarDZ says:

Wait.. so if I, for example, would play a single player game on my computer that has no internet access at all then after I buy the game it would turn out I can’t do crap because I don’t have internet? That said.. it would work even worse than now. People would just distribute the patches over internet.

• 1) Not everyone is on broadband.
    2) Even those that do might have (rather low) data limits.
    3) It will get redistributed as one big free download rather than the inconvenient many little patches you have to pay for.

• 3rd point is why this is the same as DRM – DRM is bother for paying customers and pirated games have DRM cracked. Splitting game into DLC will bother customers (or is bothering already) but pirated version will have all the data in one package once they are released. Part of the game price that went to DRM licences will now go to buying DLCs. It wont change anything. Still better than limited number of instalations and other bullshit.

• ПИЗДЕЦ да он ебанулся. продавать недоделанный продук и патом еще бабло брать за что чтобы он нормаьно работал – после первой же игры его в тюрьму посадить а контору полностью разорить. Пиздец блять.

• yeah most DLC is not to prolong games life but just the parts that they cut from original.Just look at Mass Effect.DAY ONE DLC.

Also as a gamer this makes me mad.I was a pirate before then I found out about steam but fuck me in the ass if I don’t start downloading pirates again from companies that do this shit!

• Indeed. Not to mention that DLC can be pirated already. Selling unfinished games would only decrease sales and might increase piracy of said game. The best way to decrease piracy would to actually make games worth buying on day one. But piracy will always be there for people who want to test before buying.

• Yeah sure. First pay for CD & Serial Code, than pay for intallation, for .exe file, and for main menu. Oh, you want to play? Pay more.

No shit codemasters, not funny joke. Also – it’s friggin easy to manuver. Just buy all “parts” of game and hack’em to make one final product.

Sore losers.

• Like it or not, that is in fact the best course of action from a game developer’s point of view.

• ChaosAngelZero says:

We pay 20 bucks for two hours worth of movie(s).

Therefore, we should pay 20 bucks for two hours worth of gaming. In this way, we would be getting incredibly cheap STG ports (which are waaaaaay under two hours long), and only morons would be buying 500+ bucks epic JRPG bore-a-thons.

And since DLC is also pirated, people would just have to “work harder” to get the longer, more boring games without getting their wallets raped.

That’s cool with me.

• erochichi says:

Do you really think those separate elements for a minced game won`t be collected in a pack, torrented and seeded? How do those idiots like this CEO come to their positions?
        If games exist in some form, they will be pirated. It is as sure thing as gravitation!

• erochichi says:

Pirates will crack these games too, as usual, then make a full pack of all its parts and distribute to internet for free. This is not a question to stop piracy, but only a way to rise game prices so idiots won`t notice.
          Every protection which can be made can also be cracked. There`s nothing magical in computer technology.
          That CEO is only one of money hungry suckers, and they see their customers as complete idiots (maybe they are!) to blow money off.
          Only solution against piracy is: better games, complete, and lower prices. And much, much lower wages&bonuses to CEOs & other useless higher-ups!

• I kind of figured some time ago that things would be headed this way anyway. The thing I definitely have against them, however, is them charging FULL price for a game that’s not complete.

• Selling unfinished games is news? Seriously, how many of you actually play PC games nowadays? Most games that have been coming out for the past several years have been unfinished at release. They then issue multiple patches over the coming year. The difference is that they are now calling these patches “DLC” and charging for them. What they haven’t done is lower the initial price to compensate.

• If I couldnt pirate games, I just wouldnt be able to afford myself a single fucking game with my pathetic allowance $650 a month. And that’s considered an average salary in my county.

Hey, did you know that when a PC game gets localised for Russia, it’s price always drops to 14-15 bucks, even if original price in Europe is 80 bucks. Sweet huh? We’re all fucking hobos here. The piracy is my only hope (as hope of 95% of russian gamers)

• Anonymous says:

They can’t due to their arrangements with the theaters, they have to release home versions of the movies X amount of months afterward or the theaters would shit a brick because it would kill their box office.

• Anonymous says:

As we know, capitalism gets the greed in us. That’s why I predict that PSN+ members will soon be the only people who gain online access to multiplayer. Also, in an somewhat unrelated note, why haven’t companies decided on selling dvds or blu-rays at abnormally high prices during the screenings at the theaters? They’d get lots of money, I’d think.

• Anonymous says:

“They only have to make original CDs/DVDs cost next to nothing, containing a demo or intro with discount code only. Then people could buy the full game or whatever additions they want online.”

You may or may not be too young to remember a little thing from the 90’s called ‘shareware,’ as pioneered by such folks as id Software. There is absolutely nothing new about what this tool is saying, and it would do fuck-all about piracy. Why?

A cracker team buys the incomplete game, then buys all the DLC. Now all that content is on their system. Now, they crack it, and distribute it. Done and done. Codemasters is a company run by a moron, and it has always shown in their idiotic DRM measures.

• Anonymous says:

And this solves piracy how? If you go over to the pirate bay, you can grab every DLC you can think of.

Don’t buy into his bullshit. This guy isn’t interested in fighting piracy, he just wants to see increased revenues for by selling games in pieces.

• What he says is already implemented in some form. The Megaman games for PS3, 360 and Wii are an example. They come incomplete, with DLC necessary to complete the “experience”. Sonic 4 is going to be episodic. Sure, they are downloadable games, but what he says is still functioning within the industry.

• Anonymous says:

problem is though, some countries’ internet service providers still handle monthly bandwidth limitations. If all games are changing into DLC downloads, it would be troublesome for those people

• Anonymous says:

That is how my country works. If they do that then they should make their games cheaper since we’re buying something unfinished. If the game sucks why bother downloading the rest.

• Anonymous says:

Agreed, I don’t use consoles for internet playing due to I have a PC and my console is a damn Xbox 360. An issue I see is, even if the pirates don’t get the whole game, neither do the people who actually buy it but can’t or don’t want to get the DLC.

• I were only wondering why they didn’t think about it until now. I mean, it’s pretty obvious simple.

I did see Mega Man 9 have a similar system. Get the game, and pay for some bonus content.

Though, this strategy won’t bode well for home consoles unless they got a decent harddrive space.

• Anonymous says:

I consider steam the best of both worlds, the smallest trade-off for the most profit that they reasonably deserve. The biggest issue is most of us want a box, we want to OWN the game, myself included. Last Remnant for example I bought the box and still had to use Steam, and honestly I was okay with it, but there is that subtle back-of-the-mind knowledge that you don’t actually own that copy for yourself really.

But it’s still something I’m willing to do to make sure we don’t have another Black Isle.

• The problem is, people are lazy. Extra DLC for games doesn’t sell well. Nobody wants to pay an extra $5 dollars an episode, when they already shelled out for the game. At least, not yet.

Steam is working out reasonably well, so maybe that’s the direction they should be taking, instead of nickel-and-diming us to death.

• Anonymous says:

The reality is this guy has at least stated the reality, which is good. Accepting piracy for what it is is the first step toward battling its effects (not it entirely). Sadly he’s got the right direction, it’s just people see DLC as mostly worthless these days. What he’s bringing up apparently is a revision of what DLC actually is. Essentially I think Valve has the right idea with that, an episodic story. Essentially turning games into a playable anime-like series. (One Piece the series… oh god…)

But it makes sense, everyone wanted more of Half Life 2 and we still do. Really though the only way we can really escape this is steam-style check ins. The world is covered in broadband enough now, we can accept that little aspect of having our games check in online for validation. Even that can be pirated, yes, but still, at least we know they’re not laying down and dying.

• this concept are good, but delayed delivery is the biggest problem here, for example ME2, I downloaded the earlier DLC for gun and new character (who’s his name again ? I totally forget), but when kasumi comes out, I’ve already tired of the game, I want to download the DLC but my laziness got the better of me (at that time ME2 has completely uninstalled from my computer), if they want this concept to work they need to bring out the better planning at their timeframe.

• Well, game devs still have decades to go until decency there.

For now the DLC they make is actually like Beta content they did not include in the main for being not well done till the end, only somebody in the company got the idea how they could get people pay for their trashed concepts too.

(that being said about ME2 DLC.)

• Anonymous says:

yeah i bought mass effect 2 but pirated all dlcs , they were complete crap anyway . Also as a gamer im kinda pissed off so i pay 60 bucks for a game and then i pay another 40 for chunks of the game that doesnt fit into game nor are particularity good . fuck this shit if they want to play like this ill just wont buy their games.

• Anonymous says:

I actually bought Dragon age and pirated all DLCs I didnt get with the game. One reason was that there were no other way to get some of them (collector edition crap etc.) and second was that so annoying ingame advertisment for the DLC that annoyed me so much I pirated the DLC just to have the annoying guy dissapear.

• look at dragon age. that has a shitload of dlc, basicly what he is sugesting is that they sell the first half of the game and make you also buy the end.

well pirate groups do buy 1 copy at least and than release the game, like they did with dragon age, and you get all the computer dlc too.

this strategy would actually kill pc gaming.

for the pc side, you need compelling game play and an online functionality, that only works through a paid retail version of the game, or a steam like service. if a pirate can get online in your games you have fucking problems.

• Reason why this won’t work?

Easy, downloadable content gets pirated as well, in a matter of days.

I don’t think this is really an answer, it feels like another kick on the balls to the people who do buy the games.

• Anonymous says:

So in other words I have to pay for an unfinished game, and wait a few months to continue playing it? For some reason by that time I’ll be bored with it and completely forget about it. Also, when I buy a game I want the whole thing right then and there. As for the DLC if it’s bonus add-ons that are just for replay value then I can see this working.

Aside from that it’s like they are trying to take the idea of MMOs here and applying it to normal games.

• Anonymous says:

It’s just a mean to explain the latest DLC rush. In fact it’s a way to sell an unfinished game at full price, and then demand even more money for what should have been included in the first place. And seeing it as a way to counter DRM is utter bullshit – DLCs get pirated just as the games are, and in fact I’d bet even some people that buy the games are using the pirated DLCs, which probably makes the DLCs the most pirated element of the gaming industry ever.