PS3 Uncrackable, Hacker Gives Up

ps3-player-pantsu-by-poporon

It seems it has been the PS3 which cracked the hacker, and not the hacker the PS3 – the major force behind cracking the PS3 has given up and retired in circumstances few could help but interpret as an abject admission of defeat at the hands of Sony engineers.

Obnoxious celebrity cracker Geohotz has “retired” from hacking rather than face the shame of defeat it would appear – far from delivering an update in his famed battle with the PS3 firmware, instead all he delivered was a terse notice of resignation and some bitter whining about people “taking this way too seriously”:

“It was a cool ride, and I’ve learned a lot about a lot. Perhaps one of these days I’ll do a more formal goodbye.”

The credibility of Geohotz was already at an all time low after he admitted distributed a fake picture suggesting he had hacked the iPhone 4, as he did so successfully to the former model – little wonder he felt the need to retire:

I didn’t fully realize most of the current scene don’t care unless they are getting something. Now I do. It’s late tonight, I’ll think about what to do about this in the morning.

The real reason behind no release isn’t technical. It’s just that it will never stop, after blackra1n, people demand unlock, after blacksn0w, people demand untethered. I miss the days when jailbreaking and unlocking were difficult, it attracted a much higher caliber crowd.

Also, to the haters, the picture is quite obviously fake.

Apparently he is far more obtuse than he is usually given credit for – it seems self-evident that the only reason his fans care about his antics is the opportunity for piracy it offers them.

Or else this is merely a crude attempt to deflect attention away from two abject failures in a row, coming on the heels of some typically egotistical hacker posing which led his followers to believe it was merely a matter of time before they were happily downloading “backup” Blu-ray ISOs for their freshly cracked PS3s…

Heh…

How amusing that many posters here exaltate the “need” for a hacked PS3…

Are you all that much of losers that can’t earn enough bucks to buy your own stuff? … LAUGHABLE…

Even begging for money on the street would eventually net you enough to legitimately buy one game.

A whole lotta you still rely on your folks for food & living expenses, get them to pay for your hobby & yet ya still need to pirate games? Pfft… Lawsers…

Lay off on cigarettes/alcohol, take your own lunch to school/college, go mow a few yards, wash cars or run errands for a little cash & you’ll buy a new game each week guaranteed… But I bet ya all lawsers can’t be bothered to actually get off yer lazy butts & stop wasting time which could be used to earn money for games or computer parts simply ‘cuz ya all have an appointment to join a team of WoW on a quest.

• Anonymous says:

pfft spoken like a true small minded american come back and talk to me when one of your games cost 500 bucks, unless “Lawsers” is like some new secret slang for a compliment you’re trying to bring into style on the internet in which case disregard my remark

• DmonHiro said:
    So, when exactly did I defend downloading pirated good of the internet? Either you've got the wrong guy, or you're projecting to hard you could be used as a laser pointer.

Also, anyone who brings up age on the internet pretty much automatically looses all credibility. For all I know, especially from your comments, you could be a 12 year old brat with absolutely no idea about how laws are created and enforced.

One thing I have learned over the years, is you can't fake being what you ain't for very long, as what you ain't is going to be an unknown.

I personally don't care if people think I am 48 or not. Not vital in my life. I can't fake being a teen for a reason, I have no idea what is 'cool' any more in the teen world. My son is always showing me things online, gags etc, goes right over my head.
    I for instance couldn't care less about subscribing to guys on Youtube like he does. It's not me.

He shows me this dumb 'blueberry pied' the other day, I wasn't even aware it was the latest rick roll till he explained it.
    The thing is, it's just not funny, the humour is flat. Oh you made me watch a pointless video, how does that compared to being streaked?
    Now THAT was a gag.
    I doubt any of you kids even have the stones needed to do a streak stunt. Especially as you actually have to do it in person, the real you, not on Youtube with a mask handy.

• Anonymous says:

Geohot left because of the iPhone scene not because of the PS3 scene.

He stopped that ages ago when he released the source code to his hack for the ps3.

Do people really mis-read on this website ? You even pasted the part where he starts talking about the reason he left and which was the iPhone, nothing about the PS3.

• My country is freaking awesome,if i buy 4 ps3 games i could buy a brand new ps3 console instead,games have the third bigger tax on the country for no aparent reason whatsoever,only losing to tabacco and alcohool.I will never own a ps3 as i prefer to buy a overpowered pc with the money i would expend on the ps3.

• Anonymous says:

Interesting to see most of the web wasn’t fooled by his “you’re all lame” excuse for losing. If you make something public expect all kinds of feedback – from “r U my leige need sum $s” to Sony ripping features out. You hack for curiosity. You hack to right corporate wrongs. You lose for quitting.

• Anonymous says:

his attitude towards piracy, and the fact that he never released any real information or documentation on his ps3 cracks made me hate him from the get go. so many ppl wanted to run parallel with him and he wouldn’t give any info.

“a much higher caliber crowd.?”
    yeah ppl who want better working cracks are low brow

1. Wii – 70.9 million as of 31 March 2010 (2010 -03-31)[update][30]
    2. Xbox 360 – 40 million as of 1 April 2010 (2010 -04-01)[update][31]
    3. PlayStation 3 – 35.7 million as of 31 March 2010 (2010 -03-31)[update][32]

no wonder nobody buys PS3

• Anonymous says:

Isn’t this good? That means SONY has nothing to fear from allowing people to install Other OS again since the primary reason for removing the feature has declared his resignation from hacking.

• DualStorm says:

if my knowledge serves me right.
    Although downloading content is illegal. Dont the staff that help create the content get paid monthly/yearly and not the divided percentage of the profit? But the damage is done to the publisher or the one distributing?
    Im going to use this article as a support, lets take music as an example. Although downloading is piracy, there is no gain nor loss to the company as nothing is being purchased or stolen off the shelves. However with stealing, the product is unpaid for and loses profit as the CD is gone from the lineup. Copying the content does not create any gains nor losses to the company but it just means a loss in a potential buyer.
    With this article, file sharing DOES increase sales. For reason i dont know. But one thing i know of is that the things that you hear complaints from recording companies or publishers is that focuses on the numbers of units shipped than sold. And im sure the same argument is the same for the gaming industry.

• Anonymous says:

You know theres just a little bit of side issues here also.

If you are the creator or programmer of the game. IF it doesnt sells well, do you think you will be praise and highly valued? even if they are pay fixed, they lost the fame, the future potential career. Their hard work and gift will not be rewarded.

Dont forget the company need revenue to PAY them. Less revenue, less pay, less work/no work.

A loss in potential buyer is a lost in revenue. When you are not paying them while taking their product, it is stealing. Or lets say a cd cost 10 cent, packaging cost 10 cent, misc work cost 10 cent. So are you saying if I drop you 30 cent when I take the CD off the shelf, it is not stealing? you took the content without paying and that is stealing.

From another point of view. If the music industry never fought against piracy, do you think if it went unchecked, uncountered, people will have a mind set that music have any value? The fight was never fruitless.

Songs unlike music is different. Many music are being sold on star power, their image and antics. They support the STARS, games usually does not have such a thing for the mass programmers and developers. Lets face it, many, if even, most people have a reason to hate the company.

It many be one of the reasons why increase sales is cause greater exposure, more fans, STAR power at maximum.

Of course there maybe, are and have other reasons. This is just some of them.

• Anonymous said:
    You are a true moron, or a troll.

Piracy:

1. Practice of a pirate; ROBBERY or illegal violence at sea.

Robbery is a synonym for theft you dumb, ignorant, pointless waste of existence. And in case you don't understand the use of the word, the internet was once called the "Sea of information." Please kill yourself, it will raise the IQ of the human gene pool.

Present your argument in a court room, tell me who wins 🙂
    Then you'll know why I'm laughing at you.

If your IQ doubled I'd still be ahead of you.

• So, when exactly did I defend downloading pirated good of the internet? Either you’ve got the wrong guy, or you’re projecting to hard you could be used as a laser pointer.

That post explains everything:

“Anyone who brings up age…” “…you could be 12.”

If you don’t condone piracy, why don’t you? You apparently consider it all fine and dandy since copyright infringement is not theft, but you’re still stealing something without paying for it in a day and age when it’s obvious what you’re doing. Just because people can find loopholes doesn’t make them any less wrong or complete douchebags about it.

• DmonHiro said:
    No, you moron, it's not theft. It's copyright infringement. Still illegal, but NOT THEFT. How stupid are you?

Stealing a game means taking an ACTUAL DVD/CD that does not belong to you without paying for it. You are talking a copy. If you download it, you care COPYING it. The original remains where it is. Do you understand, or do you need a picture, like this: http://neuro74.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/bateman_piracy_not_theft.png

Amazing, the dumb ass thinks a link to a stupid doodle proves his case.

Maybe when you are maybe half my age, you will have enough actual experience to go along with your pretend intellect and have a fucking clue.

• people kinda forget hacking the ps3 doesn’t only mean playing pirated games. Imagine the homebrew and other great unlock potential u can use with the ps3. Listening to ur own music while playing games is one very good example.

• I consider M$ less scumtastic then Sony now in that they did not delete features and were openly assholes vs the pretend we’re your friend and stab you in the back kinda asshole which is much much worse.
        At least Gates donates to charities which more then I can say about Sony’s CEO and brain dead stockholders.

• Cell uses much less power then an equivalent X86 which makes it ideal for a home theater though media decoder chips and GPGPU have help here recently.
        Sony killing Other OS killed the usefulness of the PS3 for any thing other then a game console.

• From what I’ve heard, that’s actually WHY they did it… not because of Geohot, but to kill its usefulness to the military and research institutions that wouldn’t recoup for Sony the (then) losses on PS3 sales with game and accessory sales like consumers do.

• i remain certain that no crack is on the way, not in the current lifespan of the PS3, simply because ppl just dont care to hack a system with 5 years old tech and humongous anti-piracy feats, just get a top-notch pc and you can do the same and more.
    The only problem here are the “names”, big gaming names are bound to the PS3 today, and developers prefer their games on safe systems than to release on pc anyways.

I own a PS3 but seriously, consoles are wallet cancers.

• DmonHiro said:
    Another fag that thinks piracy is theft? Read a book, a dictionary would be most useful to you,

Another 'kid' that can't avoid calling anyone a fag.

Piracy is theft you dumb cunt.
    Do it or don't do it, but at least have the balls to admit it is what it is.

• No, you moron, it’s not theft. It’s copyright infringement. Still illegal, but NOT THEFT. How stupid are you?

• Anonymous says:

You truly are just a complete moron. You’ve justified yourself to the point that you just ignore the fact that in copying it you remove the actual balance of the transaction. Artificial scarcity my ass. If no artist ever got paid for their money, entire entertainment industries would collapse. That stupid picture defines entertainment as unnecessary, and therefore not worth anything in digital form. If everyone followed your ass fucking backwards logic, a game would be made, everyone would download it because the original is on the computer of the creators, and they’d never get ANY money for it, and go out of business.

Your stupidity has no rational defensibility at all. You are a spoiled mindless child.

• Anonymous says:

Pretending to bury an argument in technicality is nothing short of a waste of time. Copyright infringement or not, there is a clearly delineated set of guidelines for you to gain access to a game on your personal systems. That involves a transaction between you and the creator of the service or creation. You know as well as I do that you are stealing it if you are playing it without having spent money on it. Just because you don’t have a hard copy doesn’t make a difference. I don’t care what the laws say in order to give morons an out, it doesn’t change that it is in fact stealing.

• Look, you backward gorilla, I’m going to make things simple for you.

Theft = crime
          copyright infringement = crime

But, just because they are both crimes does not mean that they are the some thing. How can you not understand that? Rape is also a crime, and so is trespassing, so why not just call “rape” “trespassing” then? They’re both crimes right? I’ll tell you why: BECAUSE-THEY-ARE-NOT-THE
          SAME-CRIME

Oh who am I kidding? You retards would understand the concept if it was carved into your skin.

• You’ve seem to have made some strange assumptions. Nowhere have I defended copyright infringement. All I did is mention the difference between the two. They are different crimes, and as such are handled differently by the authorities, and carry different punishments. While theft will most likely result in a federal punishment (jail time), copyright infringement usually fall in civil court, thus rarely qualifies for jail time, unless you were also selling the pirated goods, in which case you will also be charged with the manufacture and sale of counterfeit goods, which is a federal offense.

To make is shorter: while they are both crimes, and both hurt the artist, they are different crimes. Why is that so hard to understand by some people?

PS: I am not trying to defend downloading, like most people who download do. I know it’s wrong, I just don’t care.

• Anonymous said:
    Wait, what? Maybe you worded that poorly, but it sure sounds like you're saying you want the blu-ray burner so you can store more of your downloaded anime fansubs on a single disc. If you meant that you'll be ripping DVDs that you legitimately bought and putting them on blu-ray that's fine, but if you're complaining about people not paying for games and then turn around and are downloading stolen anime, then you're the very definition of a hypocrite.

You really are stupid aren't you.

I pointed out a hypocrite for their hypocrisy.

The guy was all for giving this hacker money to support him. So he can do what, make it possible to use his hack to steal games?

I download vast sums of digital items all the time. All my dvd rips are from downloaded dvd formatted copies of dvds (I deserve only the best :)). But I have found that 1000s of discs take too much space. I have recently decided putting 1.45 gig conversions of 4.7 gig sized dvd videos is a better idea when I can store them on terrabyte drives that are both space friendly and able to plug into a PC or laptop or PS3.

Heck I only bought the PS3 as I knew it was a great media player. I couldn't care less if Sony stopped making fucking games entirely.
    Console wars? The Xbox 360 is a fucking piece of crap with good games according to most. I'd rather have the PS3. Because even the 'good' games of the 360 mean nothing to me.

The PS3 is a blueray player as I see it with a secondary game playing function.

Blueray discs are really just a means to store massive sums of data.
    I download all sub lately. I never seem to see worthy anime on dvd format for download any more. I think over all, anime on dvd has gone to streaming as the better means to transmit possibly.
    Not that I expect dvd to stop. Later this month I am hoping to score Clannad season one at a local con.

• Anonymous says:

Sorry, but please don’t expect others to believe you need that much amount of data storage without illegally downloading stuff. Take a good look at yourself before bashing the ‘thieves’ you oh-so claim to hate.

It’s easy to spot hypocrites on this website. You just have to see which ones bash piracy.

• There should be a fund and support for this hero.

IMO, any game system should be open to third parties by LAW and more importantly the law of the market. Someone doesn’t make something you like, don’t buy it. The “Entertainment Industry” while the propaganda wing of the “Controllers” is a weak link actually. They aren’t given much subsidy and all their control makes most good writers/creators give up.

Oh, btw, forgive my spam, but I’ve made a new group:
    “MANarchy”…

I was on a vacation and traveling while this update happened, so again please forgive:-)

• DaDeceptiveOne says:

Besides all that talk about the PS3 and GEOHOT (yeah, it’s Geohot and NOT Geohotz…):
    Can the girl in the pic please be “waifu”?! She’s just perfect: (somewhat) dark haur, cat ears, she’s gaming, she seems nerdy… OMG… *changes_iPod_wallpaper*

• DaDeceptiveOne says:

You should have tried Linux on the PS3. It was great! A really good PC with everything you need: support for external HDDs containing you Fansubs *g*, the Interwebs -> lolcats, pages like SC and everything in 1 device. PLUS Gaming PLUS BluRay. It WAS great, really.
      Since the PS3s hardware is really good you were able to play gameboy, nes/snes, gamecube and n64 on it. It was awesome!!

• Anonymous says:

PS3’s just too complicated and different than most things hackers are used too.
    Its the same reason devs do not like working on it, its not familiar, its not fun, its not easy.
    That also means its harder.

In due time it will be hacked but it might already be too late. Maybe if the PS4 uses the same architecture with new hackers that are more used to it an early hack will happen, like with the PS2. Who knows.

• Dirty_Dingus008 says:

The real death reeled in on the PS was when they decided to include Japan into the game region so that anyone in America could simply buy the game~

I had to cough up cash to get my PS1 modded and it soon died a few years later.

• Anonymous says:

I’m not an expert by any means, but people aren’t very motivated to hack anything. Keep in mind that there’s no big company backing up those who bother to do this. It’s all anarchy, reverse-engineering. Nearly everything is possible, all you need is time and money. Steal the internal documentation from Sony and you’re half way there.

• Steff Copperbolt says:

It’s all in the consumer:
    hack your console = void warranty
    keep the f.w. = warranty secured + no whatever problems
    it’s up to the people to decide…
    still better to keep safe than sorry

• Anonymous says:

Yeah, there is a problem

Disc scratched = going out to buy a new disc = 60-100 dollars down the FUCKING DRAIN!

Now, think of it this way:

PS3 cracked = able to make own backups of discs = not having to pay 60-100 dollars if you original disc gets scratched = more money in your pocket, even if your system dies because a system is about 400 dollars….. only the price of 4-7 games.

• “it seems self-evident that the only reason his fans care about his antics is the opportunity for piracy it offers them.”

Oh yes it’s always piracy and not users wanting more control of devices they own. I’ve rooted every smart phone I own can you guess why? I’ll give two examples

1. Remove bloatware that comes with the thing.
    2. Enables access to core functionality to be tweaked or altered. FM radio on Nexus One.

On my PSP I can run various plugins that greatly improve it’s uses over the standard firmware for instance. Lord knows what could be done with a cracked PS3. But hey I understand say controversial shit and get hits right? Yep. Good thing I visit here anyway or I’d be pissed.

• moebius22 says:

This lifespan of this generation of consoles (by admission of Sony et al)is likely to be longer than the previous generation, therefore, it is premature to say that,”With the PS3 still completely unhacked halfway through its lifespan, and any crack likely still years in the making, it seems any eventual hacking will be too late to make much difference – quite the coup for Sony.”.

• Riiku said:
    I fully support him. Is there a reason to work if you dont get gratitude for your work? Those who bash crackers do nothing but use the results of their hard efforts. Like if he started doing it, it his responsibility to finish it. Well guess what, he doesnt owe anything to you.

Either you go and send him some $ in support, or go and crack it yourself, or just shut up. Otherwise, you're the reason he quitted.

Do you understand how fucking retarded "Is there a reason to work if you dont get gratitude for your work?" sounds?

Uhhh how about this, if you bust your ass to make a game, shouldn't you expect to get paid by people wanting to play it?

Yeah it's a bummer the PS3 is apparently beating all comers so far. No cheaper games for people whining that because they live in a shitty country with a shitty retail scene that they can't have their gaming needs met. Or poor fucking teens that have crummy allowances and can't manage to buy ALL the games out there.

Get over it. The guy was defeated.

Those of us that have blueray burner drives likely don't want them so we can burn a very finite sum of PS3 games. I'm likely going to replace my getting a bit long in the tooth dvd burner with one.
    But to me it's about putting more than 4.7 gigs of data in a single spot. 4.7 never manages to accommodate a season of anime subs. I'm looking forward to not needing a 1000 disc storage case, as I don't need 1000 discs. You can put a shit load of dvd rips on a blueray.

• Anonymous says:

Wait, what? Maybe you worded that poorly, but it sure sounds like you’re saying you want the blu-ray burner so you can store more of your downloaded anime fansubs on a single disc. If you meant that you’ll be ripping DVDs that you legitimately bought and putting them on blu-ray that’s fine, but if you’re complaining about people not paying for games and then turn around and are downloading stolen anime, then you’re the very definition of a hypocrite.

• Anonymous says:

I feel your sentiment, but… I decided to go with DVDs just the same. The reason is that sometimes discs become damaged. Or lost. Not often, mind you, but it happens.
      Seeing as I use my burner for other backups also, I need parity archives to cover for that eventuality and my computer simply isn’t powerful enough to create a parity archive covering several Bluerays within a reasonable timeframe. (And if yours is, congratulate yourself, you’ve got quite the hot rod.)

• Anonymous says:

hah piracy in my country is a must… and this geohotz was from my country. Why do I know this? Because Geo is the short name for George and Hotz means “thief” so it would be like “Geo the Tief” in english.

Why is piracy a must in my country? Simple.
    1. Average incomes are about 200-300 euros/month.
    2. With that sum we have to pay taxes and after we pay that we remain with about 60-100 euros.
    3. With that remaining money we need to handle the food and other needs for the rest of the month so tell me in how many years can we buy a game with this kind of income?

Yes he is qq-ing and I am qq-ing… If you would live in his country you would start qq-ing too. And yes now with the economic crisis the so called “Bok” and the president increased the taxes with 20% and reduced the salaries with 20% so 40% less income for us.

So the short version:
    ALL HAIL ROMANIA. LAND OF ALL OPPORTUNITIES.
    ALL HAIL THE PAMPERED IDIOTS WHO DON’T KNOW SHIT ABOUT LIFE.

Attention hunter eh? I just wanted to tell the whole world to STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM HERE or you will simply ruin your life by deciding to live here.

Anyways… For geohotz: Sa traiesti mane. Neai facut mandru 🙂 dai in pizda mami lor pe cei ce pun protectie(condoms) la ps3 si continuati munca. Rezultatul e chiar dupa colt. Nu te da batut pentru ca ai reusit ceva in viata asta 🙂 ilegal da asta e 🙂 btw lucrez ca agent de securitate si ma doaren cot de toata treaba cu pirateria. Chiar si eu am cont pe filelist si mai downloadez melodii filme si packuri deci dont worry.

• Bullshit. I’m from Romania too, and you, my friend are eating shit by the gallon. 50% of Romanian youth CAN buy their games, but choose not to. I’m one of them. I only buy manga, because I like having it on my shelf. Also, the fact that Romania has crazy good internet speeds also helps the piracy. I’m paying less then the equivalent of 20$ for 10 MB/s download and 6 MB/s upload, unlimited transfer.

• Anonymous says:

You have to do something for your country to make it make more money. Sorry but just because you are poor you don’t get to steal stuff. Tell your government to lower taxes, tell them to make the changes that will allow western business to come in. Stealing something that you certainly don’t need to survive is never justified. It isn’t the rest of the worlds fault you remained communist for 100 years.

Read, and maybe raise your IQ a few points.

piracy [ˈpaɪrəsɪ]
          n pl -cies
          1. (Law) Brit robbery on the seas within admiralty jurisdiction
          2. (Transport / Nautical Terms) a felony, such as robbery or hijacking, committed aboard a ship or aircraft
          3. the unauthorized use or appropriation of patented or copyrighted material, ideas, etc.
          [from Anglo-Latin pirātia, from Late Greek peirāteia; see pirate]

Maybe you should read ALL definitions first, you dumb fuck.

• Anonymous says:

You are a true moron, or a troll.

Piracy:

1. Practice of a pirate; ROBBERY or illegal violence at sea.

Robbery is a synonym for theft you dumb, ignorant, pointless waste of existence. And in case you don’t understand the use of the word, the internet was once called the “Sea of information.” Please kill yourself, it will raise the IQ of the human gene pool.

• Sony did a good job with the protection it seems.

However even IF the console were hacked I still would not download 25 GB+ isos for some crappy games with such low resolution graphics. I am glad I bought a decent graphic card for my PC lately. The games look so much better on it compared to the consoles.

• RaspberryKisses says:

pff…i hacked it long time ago. here how it works
    1.you get a job.
    2.you work.
    3.(this is important step) you get money at the end of the month.
    4. you go to a store and exchange money for a game.
    5. you go home and play the game on your PS3.
    here i hacked everything!

• Anonymous says:

even if the burner is cheap (which is not true in many parts of the world) the discs are expensive as hell and downloading 40gbs per game is a huge ordeal considering many users in all parts of the world have monthly limits lower than that and speeds too slow to dl it in less than a few weeks

its too freaking expensive and impractical to pirate a blu ray right now, pirating a dvd is around 30~50 times cheaper, thats why serious interest in ps3 hacking is not that high the (until recently) small game library didnt help either

• Anonymous says:

heh, be careful what you ask for, getting games “out off discs” leads to the always online ubisoft DRM, and all kinds of hardware signatures that tend to make backups even more worthless than they are now

• Anonymous says:

The usual reason to ‘crack’ a system is not to pirate games, but to protect your investment. Think about it: Xbox360 scratching woes. PS3 scratching woes. Same thing for the Wii.

They need to GET OFF DISCS and go to memory cards or flash drives for games. I refuse to buy another console until they do that OR they allow you to send your scratched disc back to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo for a replacement.

• Kudos to Sony. This is pretty hard feat to manage. I still believe that nothing is uncrakable, yet the PS3 is managing to resist as no other console has managed before…
    This is another way to see how stable and well built is the PS3…

• Anonymous says:

How many people think he was actually beaten by Sony’s security, and how many people think he was threatened or bribed by Sony to stop?

Granted, he hadn’t made much progress for a while, but I can’t help but suspect that there might be more to this than him giving up because the PS3 is unhackable.

• Anonymous says:

I think he bit off more than he could chew.

He thought that bypassing the hypervisor would let him do anything he wanted. He underestimated the encryption technology inside the cell, developed with the initial assumption of the hypervisor security being compromised.

He hacked the original iPhone, and thought the PS3 would be the same, but that’s like comparing to steal in a rundown liquor store for some cheap beer to steal a nuclear head inside a high security missile facility, taking along the launch codes.

Totally delusional.

The PS3 won’t be hacked in its lifetime. Get used to it.

Mmm, well-said.

There are companies which do this for big money (google “reverse-engineer +job”), but they don’t work for free.

There’s nothing wrong with “amateurs” doing this sort of thing, but if they announce results (or make predictions) before their work is complete, then they’re just attention whores.

• Anonymous says:

The PS3 is truly a platform worthy of a king, safe, robust and whit very little children do to the price of games. No like the crapbox 360 that is almost beating the ps2 in therms of “backup” games.

• Anonymous says:

Well its pity because of this retards crack attempt that Sony decided to removed the OtherOS feature from the original consoles. So if anyone that uses that function has no choice but not to update and be unable to connect to psstore/psnetwork.

• meh. even if he did hack it, i wouldnt be able to buy the overpriced blu ray blanks and burner. theres no reason for him to blame anyone for his failure. he tried. besides, owning the actually game isnt so bad.

• If every hackers that makes an attempts just quits like this, it seems like a waste to me. Perhaps it’s better to work in a team. I’m sure dev-team would’ve been happy to have him on board. You can then just step out whenever you like.

• Anonymous says:

Maybe, but the PS3 has gone unhacked for years and there is no hack in sight. And even if it were to be hacked now, at this instant, it has deterred copiers for over three years already. The fact is, that this has been completely worth it for Sony.
      And that is the big story. Not that some hacker with an ego announced some vapourware and wasn’t able or willing to make good on his claims. The story is that all the people who, whenever a company announces a new anti-copying system, gleefully jeer that it’s pointless, that there is no such thing as working anti-copying system, that physical access nullifies security, and that a crack will be out in months, are dead wrong.
      Hack prevention can work, if implemented right, and the PS3 has proven this. I may despise Sony’s tactics, but I take my hat off to the PS3’s engineers’ technical prowess. Chapeau.