PS3 Uncrackable, Hacker Gives Up

ps3-player-pantsu-by-poporon

It seems it has been the PS3 which cracked the hacker, and not the hacker the PS3 – the major force behind cracking the PS3 has given up and retired in circumstances few could help but interpret as an abject admission of defeat at the hands of Sony engineers.

Obnoxious celebrity cracker Geohotz has “retired” from hacking rather than face the shame of defeat it would appear – far from delivering an update in his famed battle with the PS3 firmware, instead all he delivered was a terse notice of resignation and some bitter whining about people “taking this way too seriously”:

“It was a cool ride, and I’ve learned a lot about a lot. Perhaps one of these days I’ll do a more formal goodbye.”

With the PS3 still completely unhacked halfway through its lifespan, and any crack likely still years in the making, it seems any eventual hacking will be too late to make much difference – quite the coup for Sony.

The credibility of Geohotz was already at an all time low after he admitted distributed a fake picture suggesting he had hacked the iPhone 4, as he did so successfully to the former model – little wonder he felt the need to retire:

I didn’t fully realize most of the current scene don’t care unless they are getting something. Now I do. It’s late tonight, I’ll think about what to do about this in the morning.

The real reason behind no release isn’t technical. It’s just that it will never stop, after blackra1n, people demand unlock, after blacksn0w, people demand untethered. I miss the days when jailbreaking and unlocking were difficult, it attracted a much higher caliber crowd.

Also, to the haters, the picture is quite obviously fake.

Apparently he is far more obtuse than he is usually given credit for – it seems self-evident that the only reason his fans care about his antics is the opportunity for piracy it offers them.

Or else this is merely a crude attempt to deflect attention away from two abject failures in a row, coming on the heels of some typically egotistical hacker posing which led his followers to believe it was merely a matter of time before they were happily downloading “backup” Blu-ray ISOs for their freshly cracked PS3s…

Comment by Sukunai
    08:15 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DmonHiro said:
    No, you moron, it's not theft. It's copyright infringement. Still illegal, but NOT THEFT. How stupid are you?

Stealing a game means taking an ACTUAL DVD/CD that does not belong to you without paying for it. You are talking a copy. If you download it, you care COPYING it. The original remains where it is. Do you understand, or do you need a picture, like this: http://neuro74.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/bateman_piracy_not_theft.png

Amazing, the dumb ass thinks a link to a stupid doodle proves his case.

Maybe when you are maybe half my age, you will have enough actual experience to go along with your pretend intellect and have a fucking clue.

08:14 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I have my own rudimentary crak and Sony isn't crying for that nor losing on their sells.

Comment by Sukunai
    08:17 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:
    You are a true moron, or a troll.

Piracy:

1. Practice of a pirate; ROBBERY or illegal violence at sea.

Robbery is a synonym for theft you dumb, ignorant, pointless waste of existence. And in case you don't understand the use of the word, the internet was once called the "Sea of information." Please kill yourself, it will raise the IQ of the human gene pool.

Present your argument in a court room, tell me who wins :)
    Then you'll know why I'm laughing at you.

If your IQ doubled I'd still be ahead of you.

Comment by DmonHiro
    08:47 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So, when exactly did I defend downloading pirated good of the internet? Either you've got the wrong guy, or you're projecting to hard you could be used as a laser pointer.

Also, anyone who brings up age on the internet pretty much automatically looses all credibility. For all I know, especially from your comments, you could be a 12 year old brat with absolutely no idea about how laws are created and enforced.

09:23 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That post explains everything:

"Anyone who brings up age..." "...you could be 12."

If you don't condone piracy, why don't you? You apparently consider it all fine and dandy since copyright infringement is not theft, but you're still stealing something without paying for it in a day and age when it's obvious what you're doing. Just because people can find loopholes doesn't make them any less wrong or complete douchebags about it.

Comment by EyE
    07:20 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

people kinda forget hacking the ps3 doesn't only mean playing pirated games. Imagine the homebrew and other great unlock potential u can use with the ps3. Listening to ur own music while playing games is one very good example.

Comment by Risui
    09:12 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

something a pc hooked with a home theater or an ipod cannot dream to emulate

Comment by Dark Mage
    01:49 17/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Cell uses much less power then an equivalent X86 which makes it ideal for a home theater though media decoder chips and GPGPU have help here recently.
    Sony killing Other OS killed the usefulness of the PS3 for any thing other then a game console.

06:54 06/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

From what I've heard, that's actually WHY they did it... not because of Geohot, but to kill its usefulness to the military and research institutions that wouldn't recoup for Sony the (then) losses on PS3 sales with game and accessory sales like consumers do.

11:56 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess xbox is better because I can already do that music while playing games thing.

Comment by Dark Mage
    01:52 17/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I consider M$ less scumtastic then Sony now in that they did not delete features and were openly assholes vs the pretend we're your friend and stab you in the back kinda asshole which is much much worse.
    At least Gates donates to charities which more then I can say about Sony's CEO and brain dead stockholders.

07:30 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

not here in brazil hahahaha we are the better hackers my ps3 are full cracked ^^ i don't have ONE original game

Comment by DualStorm
    09:40 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

if my knowledge serves me right.
    Although downloading content is illegal. Dont the staff that help create the content get paid monthly/yearly and not the divided percentage of the profit? But the damage is done to the publisher or the one distributing?
    Im going to use this article as a support, lets take music as an example. Although downloading is piracy, there is no gain nor loss to the company as nothing is being purchased or stolen off the shelves. However with stealing, the product is unpaid for and loses profit as the CD is gone from the lineup. Copying the content does not create any gains nor losses to the company but it just means a loss in a potential buyer.
    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/11/03/government-study-proves-illegal-file-sharing-increases-music-sales/ [http://tech.blorge.com/Structure: /2007/11/03/government-study-proves-illegal-file-sharing-increases-music-sales/]
    With this article, file sharing DOES increase sales. For reason i dont know. But one thing i know of is that the things that you hear complaints from recording companies or publishers is that focuses on the numbers of units shipped than sold. And im sure the same argument is the same for the gaming industry.

17:34 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You know theres just a little bit of side issues here also.

If you are the creator or programmer of the game. IF it doesnt sells well, do you think you will be praise and highly valued? even if they are pay fixed, they lost the fame, the future potential career. Their hard work and gift will not be rewarded.

Dont forget the company need revenue to PAY them. Less revenue, less pay, less work/no work.

A loss in potential buyer is a lost in revenue. When you are not paying them while taking their product, it is stealing. Or lets say a cd cost 10 cent, packaging cost 10 cent, misc work cost 10 cent. So are you saying if I drop you 30 cent when I take the CD off the shelf, it is not stealing? you took the content without paying and that is stealing.

From another point of view. If the music industry never fought against piracy, do you think if it went unchecked, uncountered, people will have a mind set that music have any value? The fight was never fruitless.

Songs unlike music is different. Many music are being sold on star power, their image and antics. They support the STARS, games usually does not have such a thing for the mass programmers and developers. Lets face it, many, if even, most people have a reason to hate the company.

It many be one of the reasons why increase sales is cause greater exposure, more fans, STAR power at maximum.

Of course there maybe, are and have other reasons. This is just some of them.

09:15 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good night sweet prince

Comment by Mark Hansen
    08:39 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The kid is a genius, there is no doubt about that. I think he did a good job still getting that far into the PS3 hacking. As for the iPhone 4... I'm a little disappointed. That was a asshole move.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    07:18 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol seriously what's up with this guy. if your gonna retire at least keep it to yourself no one needs to hear your shitty "retirement". fucking attention whore.

Comment by Tateha
    07:04 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

he failed but the quest is not over. ps3 will eventually be cracked but when it will it probably won't even matter anyways.

Comment by Sukunai
    05:29 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:
    Wait, what? Maybe you worded that poorly, but it sure sounds like you're saying you want the blu-ray burner so you can store more of your downloaded anime fansubs on a single disc. If you meant that you'll be ripping DVDs that you legitimately bought and putting them on blu-ray that's fine, but if you're complaining about people not paying for games and then turn around and are downloading stolen anime, then you're the very definition of a hypocrite.

You really are stupid aren't you.

I pointed out a hypocrite for their hypocrisy.

The guy was all for giving this hacker money to support him. So he can do what, make it possible to use his hack to steal games?

I download vast sums of digital items all the time. All my dvd rips are from downloaded dvd formatted copies of dvds (I deserve only the best :)). But I have found that 1000s of discs take too much space. I have recently decided putting 1.45 gig conversions of 4.7 gig sized dvd videos is a better idea when I can store them on terrabyte drives that are both space friendly and able to plug into a PC or laptop or PS3.

Heck I only bought the PS3 as I knew it was a great media player. I couldn't care less if Sony stopped making fucking games entirely.
    Console wars? The Xbox 360 is a fucking piece of crap with good games according to most. I'd rather have the PS3. Because even the 'good' games of the 360 mean nothing to me.

The PS3 is a blueray player as I see it with a secondary game playing function.

Blueray discs are really just a means to store massive sums of data.
    I download all sub lately. I never seem to see worthy anime on dvd format for download any more. I think over all, anime on dvd has gone to streaming as the better means to transmit possibly.
    Not that I expect dvd to stop. Later this month I am hoping to score Clannad season one at a local con.

05:45 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry, but please don't expect others to believe you need that much amount of data storage without illegally downloading stuff. Take a good look at yourself before bashing the 'thieves' you oh-so claim to hate.

It's easy to spot hypocrites on this website. You just have to see which ones bash piracy.

Comment by Sukunai
    05:33 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DmonHiro said:
    Another fag that thinks piracy is theft? Read a book, a dictionary would be most useful to you,

Another 'kid' that can't avoid calling anyone a fag.

Piracy is theft you dumb cunt.
    Do it or don't do it, but at least have the balls to admit it is what it is.

Comment by DmonHiro
    06:15 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

08:05 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You truly are just a complete moron. You've justified yourself to the point that you just ignore the fact that in copying it you remove the actual balance of the transaction. Artificial scarcity my ass. If no artist ever got paid for their money, entire entertainment industries would collapse. That stupid picture defines entertainment as unnecessary, and therefore not worth anything in digital form. If everyone followed your ass fucking backwards logic, a game would be made, everyone would download it because the original is on the computer of the creators, and they'd never get ANY money for it, and go out of business.

Your stupidity has no rational defensibility at all. You are a spoiled mindless child.

Comment by DmonHiro
    08:38 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You've seem to have made some strange assumptions. Nowhere have I defended copyright infringement. All I did is mention the difference between the two. They are different crimes, and as such are handled differently by the authorities, and carry different punishments. While theft will most likely result in a federal punishment (jail time), copyright infringement usually fall in civil court, thus rarely qualifies for jail time, unless you were also selling the pirated goods, in which case you will also be charged with the manufacture and sale of counterfeit goods, which is a federal offense.

To make is shorter: while they are both crimes, and both hurt the artist, they are different crimes. Why is that so hard to understand by some people?

PS: I am not trying to defend downloading, like most people who download do. I know it's wrong, I just don't care.

09:26 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Pretending to bury an argument in technicality is nothing short of a waste of time. Copyright infringement or not, there is a clearly delineated set of guidelines for you to gain access to a game on your personal systems. That involves a transaction between you and the creator of the service or creation. You know as well as I do that you are stealing it if you are playing it without having spent money on it. Just because you don't have a hard copy doesn't make a difference. I don't care what the laws say in order to give morons an out, it doesn't change that it is in fact stealing.

09:29 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If all you were doing was arguing semantics, then you chose a rather retarded way of doing it.

Comment by DmonHiro
    09:06 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Look, you backward gorilla, I'm going to make things simple for you.

Theft = crime
    copyright infringement = crime

But, just because they are both crimes does not mean that they are the some thing. How can you not understand that? Rape is also a crime, and so is trespassing, so why not just call "rape" "trespassing" then? They're both crimes right? I'll tell you why: BECAUSE-THEY-ARE-NOT-THE
    SAME-CRIME

Oh who am I kidding? You retards would understand the concept if it was carved into your skin.

Comment by Risui
    05:37 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i remain certain that no crack is on the way, not in the current lifespan of the PS3, simply because ppl just dont care to hack a system with 5 years old tech and humongous anti-piracy feats, just get a top-notch pc and you can do the same and more.
    The only problem here are the "names", big gaming names are bound to the PS3 today, and developers prefer their games on safe systems than to release on pc anyways.

I own a PS3 but seriously, consoles are wallet cancers.

05:38 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hacked a PS3 with a light saber. It's so badass guize

06:20 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

in soviet russia, ps3 cracks you.....

Comment by Neronova
    06:08 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

well point 1 sony good job indeed

Comment by Dark Mage
    01:39 17/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Uncrackable no nothing is uncrackable if he doesn't do it someone else will.

Comment by Takumi
    00:56 16/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My country is freaking awesome,if i buy 4 ps3 games i could buy a brand new ps3 console instead,games have the third bigger tax on the country for no aparent reason whatsoever,only losing to tabacco and alcohool.I will never own a ps3 as i prefer to buy a overpowered pc with the money i would expend on the ps3.

04:18 16/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Geohot left because of the iPhone scene not because of the PS3 scene.

He stopped that ages ago when he released the source code to his hack for the ps3.

Do people really mis-read on this website ? You even pasted the part where he starts talking about the reason he left and which was the iPhone, nothing about the PS3.

Comment by Sukunai
    03:33 17/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DmonHiro said:

One thing I have learned over the years, is you can't fake being what you ain't for very long, as what you ain't is going to be an unknown.

I personally don't care if people think I am 48 or not. Not vital in my life. I can't fake being a teen for a reason, I have no idea what is 'cool' any more in the teen world. My son is always showing me things online, gags etc, goes right over my head.
    I for instance couldn't care less about subscribing to guys on Youtube like he does. It's not me.

He shows me this dumb 'blueberry pied' the other day, I wasn't even aware it was the latest rick roll till he explained it.
    The thing is, it's just not funny, the humour is flat. Oh you made me watch a pointless video, how does that compared to being streaked?
    Now THAT was a gag.
    I doubt any of you kids even have the stones needed to do a streak stunt. Especially as you actually have to do it in person, the real you, not on Youtube with a mask handy.

Comment by Syobon
    08:09 17/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet all my ps3 games (none) that will remain uncrackable for at least 10 years.

08:21 17/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I would love to have the pillow in that picture - it looks to fluffy and comfortable!

I wouldn't say no to the girl either, but my god that pillow!

15:24 20/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh...

How amusing that many posters here exaltate the "need" for a hacked PS3...

Are you all that much of losers that can't earn enough bucks to buy your own stuff? ... LAUGHABLE...

Even begging for money on the street would eventually net you enough to legitimately buy one game.

A whole lotta you still rely on your folks for food & living expenses, get them to pay for your hobby & yet ya still need to pirate games? Pfft... Lawsers...

Lay off on cigarettes/alcohol, take your own lunch to school/college, go mow a few yards, wash cars or run errands for a little cash & you'll buy a new game each week guaranteed... But I bet ya all lawsers can't be bothered to actually get off yer lazy butts & stop wasting time which could be used to earn money for games or computer parts simply 'cuz ya all have an appointment to join a team of WoW on a quest.

18:32 21/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

pfft spoken like a true small minded american come back and talk to me when one of your games cost 500 bucks, unless "Lawsers" is like some new secret slang for a compliment you're trying to bring into style on the internet in which case disregard my remark

21:34 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

cracker/spy retiring hahaha ok then

20:58 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Interesting to see most of the web wasn't fooled by his "you're all lame" excuse for losing. If you make something public expect all kinds of feedback - from "r U my leige need sum $s" to Sony ripping features out. You hack for curiosity. You hack to right corporate wrongs. You lose for quitting.

13:28 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Wii – 70.9 million as of 31 March 2010 (2010 -03-31)[update][30]
    2. Xbox 360 – 40 million as of 1 April 2010 (2010 -04-01)[update][31]
    3. PlayStation 3 – 35.7 million as of 31 March 2010 (2010 -03-31)[update][32]

no wonder nobody buys PS3

Comment by dante0397
    14:41 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah 35.7 million, nobody, keep using your xbox360 and playing alone, wanna see you online without a HDD and banned from live.

12:53 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't this good? That means SONY has nothing to fear from allowing people to install Other OS again since the primary reason for removing the feature has declared his resignation from hacking.

06:56 06/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As per my previous post, I don't think that Geohot was the actual reason... but rather more akin to why Microsoft refused to sell Xbox 360s en masse to the US military.

12:44 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good riddance to scummy hackers.

Comment by Dupek
    17:33 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh my god...
    But... but everything is crackable! O_o.
    It it's not it means... Oh shi
    *universe collapses*

Comment by hibia
    16:32 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Perhaps following two links would have made it accessible to your English user-base. Up to you though.

16:37 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

his attitude towards piracy, and the fact that he never released any real information or documentation on his ps3 cracks made me hate him from the get go. so many ppl wanted to run parallel with him and he wouldn't give any info.

"a much higher caliber crowd.?"
    yeah ppl who want better working cracks are low brow

Comment by Barbarian of Gor
    04:46 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There should be a fund and support for this hero.

IMO, any game system should be open to third parties by LAW and more importantly the law of the market. Someone doesn't make something you like, don't buy it. The "Entertainment Industry" while the propaganda wing of the "Controllers" is a weak link actually. They aren't given much subsidy and all their control makes most good writers/creators give up.

Oh, btw, forgive my spam, but I've made a new group:
    "MANarchy"...

I was on a vacation and traveling while this update happened, so again please forgive:-)

11:53 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You do know they tried a open source console right, it ran a form of linux and it didn't take.

16:59 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well guess what, the LAW and the law of the market says NO.