Dragon Age 2 Announced

dragon-age-2-preview-cover.jpg

A sequel to Bioware’s hit Dragon Age RPG has been announced, indicating more superbly executed if completely staid epic RPG adventures are to be expected.

Some generic details have just been released:

• Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.

• Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.

• Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.

• Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.

• Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

Additionally the sequel will star a “a new hero” and will be set in a new part of the world established in the original.

No release date or platform details have been released, but previously Bioware singled out February 2011 as a signiciant date for the series, perhaps suggesting a likely release date.

da-2-concept-1.jpg

da-2-concept-2.jpg

Once the news of the sequel settles in, the question on the mind of many players will doubtless be “what the hell happened to Morrigan?”

Whether there is further DLC in store for the original or the sequel will be connected to the original somehow in this respect looks set to be the subject of some speculation.

17:21 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Haters gonna hate.

15:38 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh boy, I can't wait to see what to see what kind of embodiment Carth Onasi gets this time around! Maybe we'll even get a special guest appearance by Imoen.

There's recurring themes and character traits then there's straight up rehashing; I got to hand it to them: Bioware are to RPGs as to what Korn are to angst.

19:47 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Those of you playing Dragon Age and cannot get the enjoyment out of it is highly likely to never play D&D or any game using D&D rule before.

Sure DA has deviate so far from the original D&D rule, and less complicated, but the life is there. The first time I play D&D game I went "WTF hard and boring" almost immediately, but when you passed the learning curve (which I did a few years after), it is actually quite enjoyable.

Contrary to Diablo-like RPG where everything is about item and mouse-clicking your way trough the game, there's an element of tactic to this game, and the ability to influence the storyline. I can't really compare, because both are my all-time favorite.

11:53 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dragon Age is based on D&D mechanics? Really? Since when? I sure as hell didn't notice when I played the game.

14:55 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He is talking about the feel of it. How you need to position party members and tell them what to use to great effect, dialogue choices, stats allocation, skills allocation, etc etc etc. It's kinda like D&D after much simplification.

Comment by Esau
    09:34 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy shit that picture reminds me of the Berserk Armor.

ROLLING A WARRIOR FIRST WHEN I GET IT JUST BECAUSE OF THAT

07:54 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

best part of the article.

11:06 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Currently disapproving of the actions of every single person she comes across while trying to get away from a stalking Gray Warden (who had recently been reassigned to Vigil's Keep).

12:46 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope this is Morrigan's child you play.

14:58 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, pay attention to the article. You are a refugee from the Blight who somehow has to save the world (or something to that effect).

21:54 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So, what the hell happened to Morrigan?

21:56 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice, I loved the first game a lot, and i would so play this!

17:26 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bioware:"JRPGs can't be considered as role playing because you can't create a charachter yourself"

Bioware on dragon age 2:"In dragon age 2 you will play as a human named Hawke"

WAY to go bioware

22:24 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I like how the team that accused JRPGs of being linear and non interactive has now all of the sudden decided to get rid of character creation in favor of a forced player character. Its almost like they were full of shit to begin with.

00:10 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DA2? fuk yeah, haters gon hate applies very well to all the negative comments.
    anyway the reason they even intend to make a sequel is cos of its success.

00:46 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Cant lie through my teeth and say I liked Dragon Age that much, but I sure as hell wouldn't mind seeing some more Morrigan.
    And the other characters, of course.
    Not to excited about the anime, though.

07:19 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"new visual style"

I wonder what it will look like. I hope that it is not too cartoon-y.

Comment by Benatron
    04:07 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No character transfer? What is this shit.

Comment by Niwa
    03:01 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I may not have the console but the cover for that issue of GameInformer looks badass
    OORAH!

04:21 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

17:28 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yes because men fighting in armour with huge swords wouldn't have any muscles, would they?

One day you'll be less of a moron, but that day is not today.

Comment by Huey
    12:15 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Dark ugly western rpg and every guy has muscles lmao. ...............................and people hate on jrpgs cliches."

Last time I checked a human biology book, every guy has muscles.

02:57 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why the hell are you talking about DAO2? I loved the game but I don't see why talking about it on sankaku, unless this is some kind of angry 12 year old reactions for Bioware having criticized the JRPG -_-

12:48 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Talk about everything else on sankaku so why not a very good game?

Comment by Tomoya-san
    04:16 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Um,let me remind you that this is sankaku complex,the place for everything ranging from news in Japan to game news?

04:50 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If you don't like it, make your own goddamn blog and write about whatever you want.

04:47 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've noticed more Bioware and RPG centric topics on here after they criticized JRPGs but really, there's been more pointless stuff featured here.

Comment by Jorori
    02:41 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This GameInformer cover looks so badass and cool I think I'm gonna explode.

Comment by alex251
    02:18 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

First...I mean second :)

Comment by Intermission
    02:16 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't wait for the second game.

I bet they're going to make a DLC about Morrigan or somehow relate her to the second game.

07:21 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Have they said how much time will pass between the first and second game? If so maybe you will be the child of Morrigan and the hero, or Alistair.

05:05 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That would be rather nice. I still hold out the faint but nonetheless futile hope that you play her kid.

06:37 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A Bioware employee answered on their forum that you do not play as Morrigan's kid.

Comment by Overt
    08:09 11/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It could just mean Morrigan's kid is the evil antagonist! Or maybe a companion...

Comment by Tex_Arcana
    06:40 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm pretty sure that Morrigan will disapprove whether she's in the game or not.

...Call it a hunch.

Comment by fxc2
    02:06 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

To single out a non-JRPG like this... You must've really liked the game right? I played the first through like 3-4 times myself.

20:27 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Apparently, bashing FFXIII makes whatever game you happened to be working on (and its sequels) become relevant to this site.

Forever.

14:24 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They're also making an anime of DAO so I'd say it's relevant.

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    03:15 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Played it twice with a female character...I miss Billy Mays--er, I mean Duncan...

Comment by Tex_Arcana
    16:47 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Does that make Alistair Vince Offer?

Always wondered how a slapchop would handle cheese...

01:33 11/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought they said that the whole point of the way they designed Dragon Age 1 would allow them to make like 1000 expansion packs without the need to release a new game...

1 Expansion Pack Later....... NEW GAME!!!

Comment by Riiku
    22:03 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I played it once and hated it

04:30 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Played it once and never finished because it was godawfully boring.

No doubt thanks to the fucking level scaling that removed any sense of advancement and made it a mind numbing trundge through boredom spamming AoE on top of a tank that gets minimal damage.

12:34 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Try the hardest mode if you find it too easy. You don't wanna spam AoE spells on a tank unless you put force field over him.

00:31 11/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This. DA:O was the only Bioware game I didn't want to replay.

22:23 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It was easy on all modes. The problem was that every fight was dreadfully simple,there was almost no enemy variation beyond mage or warrior, and there were about 10x more filler fights then there needed to be to pad out the game length.

05:55 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

spamming AoE's on a tank? Took little damage and kept aggro on said tank?

Any chance you stacked your team full of mages(2-3) on normal mode?

05:37 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I found the leveling system to be fine o_O How fast do you have to level up to consider it advancement... ._.

Comment by Overt
    08:05 11/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He didn't say leveling, he said level scaling.

Dragon Age: Origins was a fine game i enjoyed, but it wasn't perfect. I, for example, disliked the lack of variety in equipment quite a bit...so i still prefer my final fantasy VI or IX, which at least spared you from being surprised when you finally acquired an armor with a different mesh from the 10 you got before...

The good points of DAO are the brilliant dialogues, the moderately entertaining battle system (it does get boring, but after a LOT of hours) and the high production value.
    A classic FF had its strong points in an enthralling plot, deep characters and production value...of which only the latter is left nowadays.

I wonder if a perfect RPG would be born by merging the two... xD

Comment by Drg
    02:24 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i dont ware bout biocare

Comment by Aldryst
    02:25 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I couldn't really get into the first Dragon Age.. but hopefully this one will be able to suck me into it's world like the first one couldn't.

I wouldn't mind having a big open world either, but I suppose that would be asking for too much..

Well, either way.. Cheers for another Dragon Age game!?
    HURRAH! *clanks large mug of mead with fellow Vikings*