Anime Expo 2010 Cosplay Not Winning Any Prizes…

anime-expo-2010-003.jpg

The cosplay contingent at American anime event Anime Expo 2010 has been subjected to a great deal of photographic scrutiny, all of it less than overpowering…

A selection of photos culled from a variety of sources seems to suggest nobody had much luck in capturing any cosplay of enduring quality, although they did at least filter out the worst of the overweight and/or Naruto-related:

anime-expo-2010-002.jpg
anime-expo-2010-019.jpg
anime-expo-2010-020.jpg
anime-expo-2010-021.jpg
anime-expo-2010-022.jpg
anime-expo-2010-023.jpg
anime-expo-2010-024.jpg

Depressingly these represent the best of what was on offer – there was much worse at hand it seems.

14:43 29/07/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Thank you, everyone, for the very kind comments about my Porco Rosso cosplay. I really enjoy bringing Porco to AX. The response to him is unbelievable! Thanks again! ~Jon

09:52 09/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Props for repping a Ghibli Classic. Always nice to see.

08:42 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the pic 12 captures the true essence of the american cosplayers.

09:10 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Porco Rosso = Auto-Win

10:11 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh those people that think the MGS4 cosplay is Raiden are clearly uneducated.

Its supposed to be Laughing Octopus model Lyndall Jarvis, which i believe to be was a fair effort.

Comment by hytone
    13:03 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The next time you try to look like a genius on the internet, don't bother. First of all, it's clearly Raiden; second of all, it IS Raiden, as this is the cosplayer:

How does it feel to be one of "those people"?

Comment by LanceRayne
    10:15 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

looks more like a good attempt at HS halloween

Comment by Myballz
    11:46 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

For some reason women who cosplay in a huge cup sizes should of stick with characters with huge cup sizes.

13:16 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

#13 is fucking awesome.

12:49 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Andrew W.K. cosplay was the best one and it wasn't even anime related. that's just sad.

13:31 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think these are all pretty decent.

13:45 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow so what i saw was it huh? i went the first 2 days and i was disappointed too but I was thinking that the best ones were going to go on friday
    oh btw heres 3 that should go up there

http://dmonstn.deviantart.com/art/Hatsune-Miku-AX2010-170492025?q=sort:time+gallery:dmonstn&qo=0 [http://dmonstn.deviantart.com/art/Hatsune-Miku-AX2010-170492025?q=sort:time gallery:dmonstn&qo=0]

http://dmonstn.deviantart.com/art/Chi-and-Yui-cosplay-170491873?q=sort:time+gallery:dmonstn&qo=1 [http://dmonstn.deviantart.com/art/Chi-and-Yui-cosplay-170491873?q=sort:time gallery:dmonstn&qo=1]

and the cutest

http://dmonstn.deviantart.com/art/AX-2010-Mini-Shinigami-170491534?q=sort:time+gallery:dmonstn&qo=2 [http://dmonstn.deviantart.com/art/AX-2010-Mini-Shinigami-170491534?q=sort:time gallery:dmonstn&qo=2]

13:56 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

WTF. There's some cool ones here, but more than that, I saw a lot of better ones when I was there. Fail reporting is fail.

02:52 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dude I went, and for every good cosplay there were 25 that were average or below.

He already made it clear that despite having some gems, the overall quality was w/e. Objectively pick a one person out of 100 cosplayers attending and chances are you'll get a crappy one.

12:48 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

WTF is wrong with you basement virgins??? these were pretty damn good!

11:48 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

a resounding MEH

Comment by PrinceHeir
    12:06 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hmm not sure if win or not meh not really good looking it's an "okay" cosplay

Comment by pwx
    04:47 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I found quite a few to be good. I'm not sure what a lot of you are looking at. Vash doesn't look that great and Andrew W. K., really? I do agree with Porco Roso though. The delinquents were pretty cool. Zero cosplay was about as close as you can probably get? Raiden would've been better if we had gotten a more fullbody shot? Zelda was meh but on the okay side. Death note was awful. Yoko and Nina did an okay job (Yoko was better than the Nina, but I don't see Nina done very often so props to that) The Bayonetta... was kind of freaky looking (When the hell was she ever entirely orange?) Kisame could've been done better. That one captain from Bleach looks good. Hello Kitty looks good (though I realize there's not as much of a challenge with full body suits like that) Katamari is always a fun cosplay to see. Avatar was pretty lame. Rikku looks close to being spot on. I have no idea what's up with those sailor scout ones

I honestly don't recognize any of the others, but the 3 girls look like they put some effort into theirs. The group with a bunch of wigs and weird dresses? Not a fan, but bleh

Comment by tingle
    05:03 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

love the last pic, that was a great album by Andrew WK

Comment by philipH
    05:08 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It would seem like you or whoever took those pictures did not go to anime expo 2010, because this is epic =

04:18 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The anime community just isnt what it used to be anymore. Cons like this are just getting lame with cosplay, guests and stuff to do.

04:22 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Seriously, these conventions should be closed and filled with cyclone gas.

Nothing value would be lost. And some hot corpses would be up for raep latter.

Raping corpses wearing a gas mask after a small genocide... in a comic convention. I believe that a new one.

04:32 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

that raiden cosplay is revolting

05:20 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah I went, and most were average. Quite a few were pretty amazing though. There remember there being a really pretty Miku and Luka on the 2nd day.

Probably better off posting a gallery of people who just attended. There were a lot of cute non-cosplayers there. But I guess that defeats the point of the gallery..

06:07 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

becouse AX has gone to hell all the old staff walked last year after a management change

con sucks now only the casuals that watch dubs on TV go to it any more

06:51 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Didn't seem to be any serious cosplay, either.

Comment by Bakamoichigei
    06:08 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...lol

I should cosplay, I'd be a genius of 'general-purpose' costuming and would certainly look a lot better than these people. :P

I have dress pants, a white dress shirt, and a tie. Bam! I'm 'Salaryman A' from like any anime ever.

If I feel like actually trying, I can just put on my Tactical Response Uniform and whatever tac gear is appropriate. Mithril SRT/PRT operator? No problem. I even have a baselayer shirt with the Mithril emblem, and patches for my TRU. MGS4? Sure, why not? I've got the right hardware for the PMC soldier look, and the CIRAS gear Foxhound wears. (I also have unit patches for Modern Warfare 2, but that's neither here nor there...)

05:51 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone notice how Artefact only posts good Japanese cosplays and then points out bad American ones?

The weeaboo mindset at its finest.

Comment by Artefact
    19:08 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, but where are the bad Japanese cosplays?

05:37 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm hoping Comic-con will be a bit better

Comment by Naison
    05:25 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That Andrew W.K. cosplay just won it hands down.

05:33 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Loved the yankees.

14:25 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

as usual crackerjack bullshit by a bullshit news? site

12:06 11/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I saw the right most Ganon cosplayer while I was there. He was REALLY good, it's a shame you don't get a better look from these pics. By the way, these are NOT the best the show had to offer. There was one group of friends who did an excellent cosplay of the female characters of FFXIII (yes, it's FFXIII, but the cosplay was still really good) and a female Pyramid Head - a very bold female Pyramid Head. There was even a couple pulling off the Katanagatari mains very well (the guy was even particularly tall).

Anyways, once again Sankaku is full of shit. Oh, it's Artefact again. Big surprise. Now, Artefact, how in the fuck are these certainly the best the Expo had to offer? FFS, I was only there for the second day and I saw at least three instances of superior cosplaying.

Comment by ranivus
    04:38 12/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah this looked like some dude just went there on sunday afternoon and took a few snaps.
    Sankaku didn't even bother looking at the cosplay contest, all the best ones are usually shown there. This year, I didn't get a chance to check it out due to my work schedule but for the most part. But the two days I did manage to see, I saw some relatively good cosplay. Not the greatest per se but Jonno got some damn good ones. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonno212/sets/72157624323615083/?page=2

17:36 12/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I didn't take that many pictures, but from the ones I did, this was probably the best one: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n223/Perf_Chaos/AX10/IMG_0154.jpg
    It was taken from my iPhone, so the picture quality isn't amazing, but it's at least decent (I saw people taking pictures with the DSi's 0.3 megapixel camera... <_<).
    Overall, there was a wide scale of quality in cosplay, but not all of them are bad; there were some amazing ones there.

Comment by aarond12
    23:42 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lame. I went there last year and it wasn't much better.

Not to mention the organization of the Expo sucked my fucking ass.

I'm NEVER going back again.

Comment by Spiderkid
    01:08 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't get it. You say "not winning any prizes" but I checked and there's pompadours.

03:02 10/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A few of the costumes were pretty well-done actually. But considering that these were the best ones...that's kind of sad

08:54 14/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

looks like sankaku is trolling you or is part of the "Proud to be asian" faction, because I was there and I saw very good cosplay, also the photos taken there are cameraphone quality so this time I think sankaku fails.

15:50 25/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

cosplaying was really meant for asians...westerners should just watch and enjoy

19:43 08/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

was expecting a longer gallery tbh, didn't thought it's just THIS

18:14 06/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The Rikku cosplayer should've cosplay as Lulu. Her endowment and look would've made her 10x hotter as Lulu

08:50 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Andrew W.K and Link cosplay look really good.

18:54 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is too embarrassing to see.

Japanese girls look cute in cosplay, guys look cool.

Western people just look totally wrong.

15:33 09/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you guys obviously missed Maridah lol.

Comment by TheLAG
    18:03 08/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Porco Rosso gets best of show.