BlazBlue: Continuum Shift DLC Hell

makoto-nanaya-by-kamirobo.jpg

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, the just released sequel to top 2D panchira brawler Blazblue, has recently attracted no small opprobrium for announcing almost $60 worth of DLC at release…

The DLC offered is less than overwhelming – the list includes a handful of new characters, icon packs, costumes and “unlimited” versions of standard characters:

blazblue-continuum-shift-001.png

It does however include Makoto Nanaya:

blazblue-continuum-shift-002.jpg
blazblue-continuum-shift-003.jpg
blazblue-continuum-shift-004.jpg
blazblue-continuum-shift-005.jpg

Presumably they are hoping nobody notices the DLC costs almost as much as the actual game (more than the actual game in the US, which will presumably have cheaper DLC just to rub things in for the Japanese)…

The game itself looks unlikely to disappoint fans whatever the price of its DLC however:

blazblue-continuum-shift-006.jpg
blazblue-continuum-shift-007.jpg
blazblue-continuum-shift-008.jpg
blazblue-continuum-shift-009.jpg

The game has just been released in Japan, and is due at the end of July in the US.

Comment by Dash
    04:30 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DLC for new characters? what happened of the old days when to unlock an extra/secret character u had to beat the game in record time, perfect life or hard mode with all chars? now u can just pay for it? nice way to put challenges :l

Comment by PrinceHeir
    06:37 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this ^^ seriously why the charge? it's us gamers should work hard on playing and unlocking them in the game it's already enough we bought the game what more do u want? im okay with dlc as long as u add a fairly huge amount of content not just skins and 1 character.

06:22 03/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That is how this game actually works, you play the game and you unlock all this stuff...

OR, you could be lazy and just purchase it without working for it.

01:03 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't see how DLC is that big of a deal.

The game is going to be about 40 dollars, and most of the DLC is pretty frivolous.
    The essential stuff is affordable, and I have a shitty job. I'll live if I have spend the 560 Microsoft points on Makoto.

00:25 03/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Its that mentality that makes them suck more money out of you. If you didn't pay, they'd have to include it. But you're paying. And you'll keep paying. Pathetic.

00:26 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This game is officially incomplete, and they're holding off the content to make average consumers expending even more money like idiots.

01:07 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The average consumer is an idiot.
    Consumers gon' consume
    That's just the way it is

01:08 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The average consumer is an idiot.
    Consumer's gon' consume. It's good for you!
    That's just the way it is.

00:24 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the psp one is good google it

01:21 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Or you could not give a shit about tournaments and play the game for fun.

01:41 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Tutorial Mode! Fuck yeah!

Comment by Caligastia
    02:29 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

About time...The Bonus DVD they handed last time should be part of the game IMO. It's time the training does more than just provide a sparring partner and various info, you know something that makes it easier to be competent in these games (but hopefully not as difficult and useless for real matches as challenges were in SSF4)

Speaking of Blaz Blue, here's a movie of a fighting game that's closer to my heart, even if the last iteration was a complete disappointment, I'll most definitelty pick this one up, I hope they redeem themselves, all signs point to yes...

Btw I miss sexy Athena, don't like the moeblob they made out of her..

05:50 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If you think the trials in SSFIV were useless (though it depends on characters), you must not play very well.

02:23 04/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

SQUIRREL GIRL IS THE STRONGEST!

11:40 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It burns me a little. I don't think it's right to release two extremely similar games, and then if you're loyal enough to buy both, they charge you more for the actual new stuff in the second game, over the first one. Especially characters. Characters ARE the game, Not just addons.

But hey, if it works for them financially, it's hard to argue that they shouldln't have done it >_>

10:50 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

look like an ordinary street fighter type game. probably not too shabby with some storyline and unique character. Alright then. if the game sucks, i will have to just rip the CG.

Comment by Tateha
    10:07 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the only reason why I think they are making Makoto a dlc is because they are already working on an update for CS or a new version all together and said to themselves "you know, lets just make her dlc for the hell of it" instead of waiting till the next version of the game.

00:22 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

fuck BlazBlue, I want my Guilty Gears

08:32 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

if u want gg then support bb til they are comfortable enough with the fanbase in the U.S gg has never done that well over here

18:31 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Makoto's back and she has ridiculously awesome tonfa gauntlet thingys!

Sweet

18:24 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That is the result of currently zero piracy on PS3.
    With piracy they would have been forced to release DLC for free to encourage and reward people who buy original software.

23:29 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is what i've always been saying. Piracy needs to exist because it is the option 3. This current situation with companies smiling while they nickeldime people is because they have too much power.

Piracy tilts the scales back to a more fair level playing field. Suddenly, 'take it or leave it' is not the only choice. Option 3 'take it for free' is now viable. Try to rip ppl off? Everyone will just take it for free.

Then the companies have two choices: 1) stop making shit and blame piracy, in which case nothing of value was lost, or 2) actually stop trying to cheat the customer.

18:23 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ok lets get things straight here, most of the stuff there are things that you unlock in the game itself, the only people that are gonna buy those are the ones that are too lazy to play the game, like the unlimited characters and the Mu(character) unlock, the only real thing there that anyone would want to buy is the Makoto dlc, or if you want the characters to look different, the extra colors

19:43 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the extra colors are fun but i wonder if they will also include new ones that werent in calamity trigger

Comment by TheLAG
    19:05 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

NO! NOOOO! I won't fall for your Chipmunk wiles, I am a true Taokaka fan!

Cat paws! *punch punch!*

Comment by SpideyPHL
    19:28 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've got a fairly dim view on DLC, especially nickel and dime stuff like this. I miss the days when you paid your money for the game, and you owned the entire game, alternate outfits and all. There is something to be said for well done DLC (Mass Effect and GTA come to mind), but this shit is just gouging geeks for all they're worth.

08:28 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol yeh but in those days they would create a new character or two then save them for a new game and then release a whole new game for it at full price with little tweaks to balance.

19:37 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I warned people devs would abuse DLC from the start lol.

Screw all you posters and every gamer around the world for not believing me. Now I'm warning people digital download is the future and you dumbasses here still don't understand.

18:16 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No one is forcing you to buy anything at all.

The only DLC worth buying is the characters download Makoto Nanaya. Everything else is unnecessary and only for people too lazy to unlock mu and the unlimited characters by playing story mode or in need of extra colors.

Makoto herself would only cost 560 microsoft points.

Comment by Jeen
    18:04 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Trinity the Platinum and Slaye- I mean Valkenhayn are the other DLC characters, according to data ripped from the disc itself.

Comment by vitrium
    18:00 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Furries strike again!

21:50 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly If Makoto plays anything like the fighter in DnF... I'm expecting a fun rush down of grappler/striker/chun-lee/Brick stun of death :3

Comment by BlaqCat
    22:24 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Supposably the balanced was improved by quite a bit for this incarnation, besides, the balance wasn't THAT bad last time (unless your a not-so-good Tager trying to take down a good-to-very-good V13).

05:35 03/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As far as I saw during the gameplay videos, Taokaka, for instance, still has 4 joke moves, only 4 actual moves, very character specific combos, very timing specific combos, low attack priority, has to put in a load more effort and time than most other opponents to get nearly the same amount of damage in, near-lowest guard libra, low defense, no way to escape, no counters, no respectable projectiles...

All the while, other characters like Jin, Rachel, Arakune, and others like the Nu clone (but that goes without saying) still have it much, much better off.

I don't really think the first game was very balanced at all, myself, which makes me very skeptical of the second game's balance.

08:04 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, this new character almost convinced me of buying the game. ^_^

I just can't get passed how unbalanced it is. =_=

*conflicting emotions*

17:57 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

o0 shiny graohics

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    17:53 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

omg....wanted this long ago...guess I'll be broke...again

Comment by BlaqCat
    22:21 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All I want are extra costumes/colors and Makoto. For the rest of that shit, I'll gladly pass.

Comment by loli-kun
    18:21 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The wheels of moe are turning.
    Pantsu 1.
    Action!

Also, here are some anime similarities I've found with BB CT:
    Red Rachel = Shinku
    Purple v-13 = Eva Unit 01

Anyone got anymore?

04:19 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mina Tepes is a blond-twintailed vampire as well.

Comment by the7k
    18:55 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

One of Bang Shishigami's outfit colors has him looking exactly like Galford from Samurai Shodown.

Hell, it's the biggest reason I play as him.

21:57 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

theres a gaogaigar color set with tager in the extra colors and a hatsune miku color set in the extras for rachel as well as a EVA 02 set for nu in the original color package. There's also a Ky Kiske color set for jin. well those are the ones i can name off the top of my head

Comment by vanchrian
    18:08 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Another reason for my to get a PS3 too.

Sigh... oh PS3... how you tempt me in the wake of my failed relationship with the 360...

Comment by TNinja
    22:57 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I wouldn't mind getting a PS3, if they bothered to release the first BlazBlue shit to Europe! |:V

Well, it's not region locked, but it still annoys me.

01:26 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it is not released? but i recently saw it in a shop (limited edition was same price) but well if you say so (im from germany)

01:26 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Friend of mine has been playing it the entire time, and he didn't pay too much, either.

Just order it. =/

Comment by Chrono Mizaki
    06:46 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

TNinja, it's already released in Europe. PQube have published it, and they announced they are releasing Continuum Shift in October of this year.

You can get the PAL version for cheap now.

17:12 06/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What? Is that the best underboob they can do?? Tira from SC3 laughs. She's still hot though, but this only makes me want them to do a Guilty Gear like this even more... it was so much more hot.

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    19:51 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Instead of buying those DLC's, I'll just use that money to commission some BlazeBlue Hentai doujins to English...

I've spent almost $3500 commissioning hentai doujins of various famous videogames than buying DLC's...

If any of you can provide me with a really hot BlazBlue hentai doujin (preferably futa or yuri), I'll get it commissioned...

06:18 03/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You luckily won't have to purchase many of them, excluding the new character DLC, the rest (that affect gameplay, not picture packs) are actually there for Arksys to make money off of people too lazy to unlock the stuff in game. So you'll just have to play the game and you won't have to worry about buying anything other than the Characters.

00:18 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My favourite kinds, cheers :)

21:48 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why would you spend that much money on hentai

23:04 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

why not spent it?

20:24 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome. I'll be sure to know who to thank if I ever see anyone with a name similar to yours being mentioned as the one who commissioned a doujin I'm downloading.

03:18 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Azure is a straight up friend.

^fixed that for you.

21:21 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In all likelihood, you've already downloaded many a doujin commissioned by him.

Especially if you've downloaded any touhou doujins...

Azure is a straight up fiend...