Top 10 Signs Someone is an Otaku

saizensen-kun-prince-of-creepy-otaku

Japanese asked what sort of dubious behaviours they consider essential in identifying otaku deviants give a list sure to resonate uncomfortably amongst many who still harbour misplaced aspirations of relationships with partners not comprised of pixels, PVC or paper.

The ranking, based on the responses of 551 Japanese when asked about the “behaviours which make you think someone might be an otaku”:

1. They are using otaku slang, net jargon or 2ch cant

2. They just happen to have anime/manga/game goods about them

3. They respond to otaku type keywords and issues

4. They become very intense when the conversation turns to anime/manga/games, and only then

5. The tunes they hum are all anime related

6. They know excessive amounts about a given anime/manga/game

7. You can somehow just tell intuitively that they are an otaku

9. They start talking about a seiyuu

10. They are carrying a bag from an otaku shop like Animate or Tora no Ana

otaku-signs

It may be noticed that the list is more concerned with personal qualities than it is with fashion or outward appearance – fortunately for the curious, just such a ranking already exists.

15:38 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Gotta disagree with 7. Went to japan recently, you'll find the most normal looking people browsing doujinshi in a manga shop.

16:07 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They're all otaku. See #2.

15:17 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ummm I do all those things, except carry around anime goods. Does that make me an Otaku?

No, everyone tells me that I don't look or act like one and I myself say that is true.

What's wrong with being knowledged in it for appreciation purposes?

15:55 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

At least I'm not an otaku who goes 'PSSSSHHHH SECOND HAND '

15:03 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i like number seven

Comment by motaku96
    16:26 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

7 sounds a bit fishy. I would expect 10 to be higher. =/

Comment by pilandi
    18:10 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1. They are using otaku slang, net jargon or 2ch cant
    Every Group has its own "Slang" these days.

2. They just happen to have anime/manga/game goods about them
    *Looks down on Shirt* ah damm xD

3. They respond to otaku type keywords and issues
    So if you say something like Haruhi, you expect me to start talking?

I can also talk "intensely" about Guitars, or my favorite Bands.

5. The tunes they hum are all anime related
    Not me, no Sir

6. They know excessive amounts about a given anime/manga/game
    We all have a favorite Anime/Manga/Game.

7. You can somehow just tell intuitively that they are an otaku
    How? Hardly anybody looks like a total "Nerd".

Well duh its my Hobby.

9. They start talking about a seiyuu
    Yeah i like Kanae Ito<3

10. They are carrying a bag from an otaku shop like Animate or Tora no Ana
    Well i do have some Messenger Bags.

18:15 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have only 8th and it doesn't really matter because I only talk about anime to other fans or to potential converts

14:10 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Shit, I'm an otaku.

Comment by Keeper
    14:10 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

7 and 8 are just... wierd.
    The rest, okay... kinda creepy in excessive amounts.
    In other news, I didn't realize that Igor was an otaku.

11:38 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh crap! It's THAT guy again!

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    11:39 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

which guy - or did you mean that gay guy?

Comment by Hyra911
    11:41 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you an Otaku ???

11:33 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No female can escape his pimp vision

Comment by Shuubi
    11:30 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah man I fit all these criteria and I'm a girl. Way to go self!

Comment by ManaReaper
    11:24 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have some of those traits, #8 especially. But I don't care. Travis Touchdown is an American Otaku too lol

Comment by Pyrus
    12:32 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't see how #7 counts as a sign as #7 is just "He's an otaku because I feel he's an otaku" rather than "He's an otaku because he does or says something otakuish."

Comment by a bag of shit
    12:36 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

#7 basically means "person is physically unattractive; am going to assume the worst of them despite no evidence".

Comment by Ukonkivi
    13:49 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>>8. They talk unconcernedly about anime, manga and games all the time as if it were normal
    So basically we're supposed to be closeted.

People who quote and talk about animated Comedy Shows where I'm from unconcernedly seem to get treated as fairly normal, and often even, funny and interesting.

13:26 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

NET Jargon otaku related?.... f... they insulted me.

13:29 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am sick of our society's double standards. Some of the things they taught us in grade school was to "explore new things" and "don't be afraid to be different". However if our society does not deem something mainstream or normal, they are immediately looked down upon. Is drunkenly watching Superbowl while screaming your ass off (and disturbing your neighbors) and possibly destroying your house when your team loses somehow better than watching your favorite anime show and discussing about it intensely with your friends at school? Is partying at some frat party with a bottle of vodka in hand and sleeping with someone you've never met (possibly with STD's) somehow superior than having a LAN party with your friends and having a good time?
    Sure, we have lolis, tentacle raep, and other dark side to it. But assuming that every otaku is into it (or openly show off their dark hobbies for that matter) is just as bad as assuming that all of NASCAR watchers are rednecks and all the football fans beat their girlfriends after they've been ignored for a week. I'm aware that there are some creepers out there, but the normies shouldn't take one or two exceptional examples and condemn the whole hobby/genre as try to make us feel ashamed about our hobbies that we all enjoy.

21:01 01/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hey hey...let's talk anime...

06:28 30/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

wooow evil otaku on the loose

Comment by CursedHollow
    08:50 30/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

oh gawd that guy reminds me of a cousin but he isnt a otaku though..anyways i am can say i am guilty of some.

13:46 06/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1.Not me.
    2.I do.
    3.Not me
    4.I usually keep my mouth shut on conversations regarding anime.
    5.I hum the imperial march from Star Wars.
    6.I only know about Azumanga Daioh, Haruhi Suzumiya, and Lucky Star.
    7.People think I'm evil.
    8.I'm not normal but I don't talk about anime.
    9.What's a seiyuu?
    10.I don't carry anything but the keys to my house and mailbox and a camera.

Comment by Jurou
    13:24 13/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Even though I am very interested in Anime, Manga, Games and Japan in general doesn't that mean I have no self contr..--- TWGOK ANIME!?

10:12 29/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

1. They are using otaku slang, net jargon or 2ch cant
    >> I don't even know otaku slang
    2. They just happen to have anime/manga/game goods about them
    >> All i have are Gundam assembly Manuals, so yeah probably
    3. They respond to otaku type keywords and issues
    >> If i'm asked...
    >> Nope, i also get intense conversation in terms of Quality Control, Medicinals, Chemistry, Politics, Certain Novels, Movies
    5. The tunes they hum are all anime related
    >> Well i do sometimes but i'd definitely choose anime tunes rather than Justin gayber tunes
    6. They know excessive amounts about a given anime/manga/game
    >> Not all but yeah, on things i've watched.
    7. You can somehow just tell intuitively that they are an otaku
    >> WRONG! not one in my class has even guessed it not until i opened it on them
    >> Most of my onversation were Chemistry, or drug interactions, i hardly had game/anime conversation unless its with my sister
    9. They start talking about a seiyuu
    >> I hardly know seiyuu
    10. They are carrying a bag from an otaku shop like Animate or Tora no Ana
    >> School Bag...

Comment by Neko
    13:02 01/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Is being a Otaku bad? I consider myself as a Otaku and im also one of the best baseball players at my school...

Comment by Zeta986
    17:43 27/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Fat people can be 40% otaku around the world

15:20 11/04/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

I HAVE NO REGRETS...THIS IS THE ONLY PATH...

Comment by OTIKA
    15:48 28/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't this a form of racism?

10:06 29/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it's called "discrimination"...

01:56 11/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"1. They are using otaku slang, net jargon or 2ch cant"

If there is any ONE point that annoys me to no end, it's this one.

Comment by ferrarimanf355
    23:11 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

#11- you care about things like nudifiers of underage anime girls.

#12- you bash the Xbox 360 because it isn't a Japanese console.

#13- you work for, or have bought hentai from, jlist.com.

#14- you read this website.

(Uh-oh...)

23:13 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have symptoms: 4, 5 and 8
    :-)

21:36 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lrn2concealyourpowerlvls

23:42 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The camera. Why always the camera?

00:51 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

not #1 and #10 for me,,,
    because I'm not Japanese...XD

19:46 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yey I ain't one :) no signs present here :D

19:51 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Still that guy is VERY creepy... I would bead the shit out of him if he would even dare to come near me. Y, beating scary people is my hobby don't start "boo-ing" me now :)

Comment by PrinceHeir
    07:27 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol that pic kinda reminded me of my friend though he's not that addict to anime and stuff. and no.5 is not that bad unless they start imitating them out of nowhere in public

01:18 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

11- When they know what otaku slang is.

12- When they know what otaku type keywords and issues are.

13- When they can tell all the tunes you hum are anime related.

Comment by RogueLioness
    01:58 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They talk unconcernedly about anime, manga and games all the time as if it were normal...... too many talk about football as if it were normal,and its pretty damn normal to talk about somthing that intrests you

17:42 05/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

yah, but you have to remember that This isn't America being talked about. Gaming and Anime have much more negative connotations associated with them over there. Hell, most of the people I know would think carrying a portable gaming system on them is perfectly normal, on the other hand, over there its seen in a much less casual light. This is the only reasoning I can figure as to why that would be on the list :)

11:14 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone else thing that those 'signs' are a load of bullcrap? I sure as hell do!

Frankly, those signs are common in people who are NOT otaku as well, just people who are interested in manga, games and anime.

Though, in these stuck up bastards minds, just being interested in those things is enough to label you an otaku.

Comment by fxc2
    04:18 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What was the nickname 2ch gave this guy? He still haunts my dreams...

Comment by Aniota
    08:55 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Saizensen-kun, Mr.FrontLine or something like that.

Comment by phisaki
    04:23 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good God I think my girlfriend is an anime Otaku!

Comment by Ray
    03:56 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm "guilty" of number 6 only.

I find this funny though:

"8. They talk unconcernedly about anime, manga and games all the time as if it were normal"

Indeed, we should instead talk about bitches, cars and sports...cause that's normal amirite? -_-

Comment by alex251
    04:12 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the joke is that being a retard is actually considered normal anong normal people...

09:37 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sports are fun too