3DS Resident Evil Revelations Highly Spectacular

resident-evil-revelations

A trailer for the Resident Evil Revelations, a key flagship title for the 3DS, has been released, and many are highly impressed by the graphics on show.

Of course, though supposedly rendered in real-time, whether this is an accurate depiction of how things will look in the final game remains in doubt:

Truly the end of the PSP?

• ChaosAngelZero said:
    Oh darn, I can't find that quote button… in any case, thanks.

Well, I want to keep it brief, so here goes: there is a <i>very small</i> demographic both playing Resident Evil games <b>and</b> buying Nintendo hardware, the overlap of these is really small; and PSP game sells are also very low, especially taking into consideration the system's hardware sales (that is to say, it has a comical tie ratio). And those are the reasons why I'm suggesting a port to the PSP would make the project that more profitable, just like Rockstar was smart enough to port GTA: Chinatown Wars to the PSP, PlayStation Network and the iPhone, since it wasn't getting quite enough sales on the DS due to the reasons I just mentioned and the one point I do not agree with you (that is, either grown-up men don't buy Nintendo consoles or they do buy them just to play a couple first-party titles and not much else).

Resident Evil 4 anyone?

• ChaosAngelZero says:

What could the Capcom suits possibly be thinking? These things don’t sell on Nintendo portables. Hell, they don’t even sell particularly well on Nintendo systems, period.

Maybe they’ll consider porting it to PSP to get a better deal out of it… ?

• Anonymous says:

Are you stupid? The PSP is pretty much dead. Everyone is going to buy a 3DS. There’s a reason these companies flocked to the system, especially since Sony doesn’t even have a PSP successor in sight.

• Anonymous says:

Hopefully this is a sign that Nintendo will be the leading console in the graphical department, like they used to be (Microsoft consoles the exception).

I really felt completely jipped by the Wii, so they’re gonna have to bring out something special next time.

• Anonymous says:

Whatever happened to that Resident Evil PSP game that they said was going to happen? Because that’s all that was said about it; there’s going to be a Resident Evil PSP game. Or is it WAS going to be a Resident Evil PSP game?

… Where is it? The Resident Evil PSP game?

• that is supposed to be real time render graphics? I unno man, it’s capcom, they love to lie about that kind of shit. i remember this trailer fro Onimusha Dawn of Dreams, that was a total bummer.

• Go here to download the trailer in full high quality: mediafire.com/?1ct3izmulua

Here’s the kicker. This video is in 3D!

Use a media player that supports two video streams like VLC. Yes, VLC. and put the other video stream to the right side. You’ll need a large monitor to do this at 100% size. And then cross your eyes. The effect doesn’t kick in until after the CAPCOM logo.

It’s not as strong as the real 3DS, but it is there.

• BunnyShake says:

The game looks good. But regardless of graphics, there’s something strange. When I was looking at screenshots earlier, I noticed how Chris is a carbon copy of his counterpart in RE5, but I had a lot of trouble to recognize that woman as Jill lol. They even changed her face.
    Redesign? Or alpha build?

• Uh this footage is running in real time. At E3 you could move the camera around and zoom in something you can’t do with a CG movie. Capcom confirmed that this is using their MT Framework engine.

• SpideyPHL says:

Yay disappearing comments. Anywho, the trailer looks cool, but we’ll see. I’m not sure how the controls of something like RE4/5 would work on the 3DS. It’s cool seeing things about 3DS on the site, but the whole “PSP is dead lol” comments seemed shoehorned in just to be flamebait.

• When Sony says that something has a 10 year life cycle, I think people misunderstand. It’s like the PS2. The PS3 came out pretty early and thus the PS2 was still the Sony system to have for quite a while. It’s only recently been phased out? (I think? I don’t know of anything else that comes out for it anymore)

I think they just naturally assume the same is going to be the instance with the PSP. It’s going to keep going for a few years (and continue to support it for a few years) when they eventually release its successor. So we could potentially see PSP2 details. Either later this year or next year at e3 (Probably timed for whenever Nintendo tries to kick off their new platform)

• Dirty_Dingus008 says:

Dude~ what the fuck? Artefact has been derided since the beginning as a Sony cock licker, microcum butt beater and a nintendo deep throater. And yet still posts for every system when they FUBAR royally.

Keep up or toss the fucking keyboard away when you next come back because you ignorance could be infectious

• toshironikko says:

Well the only RE/Biohazard game for the NDS i can think of was the PS1 remake with some touch screen add-ons and it had the same voice acting and graphics from that game so im excited to see this come out~I’m looking forward to buying this as soon as i can =D

• SpideyPHL says:

Looks interesting in theory, although in practice I don’t know how a shooter will play on the 3DS’ controls.

On another note, I do like the 3DS stories, but the flame-bait shoehorning of the PSP being doomed in every 3DS article is a bit annoying to be honest.

• Rethardus says:

Seconded.

I don’t get it. Why always compare and compare. I like both handhelds. I’ve got multiple platforms, from Xbox 360 to the Wii, to the PSP etc.

If I had the money, I would buy them all. It’s such a childish behaviour to say that a console suck, even though EVERY console has great games. Why all the bashing? It’s not like a marriage, it’s not like you need to be loyal to just one platform and their games…

• diskonline says:

It’s not gamers who start the console war, but those companies. However, gamers usually take more loyalty to the first console they bought, so it’s somehow reasonable if they join the war to support the company they’are most loyal to.

• Azure Xuchilbara says:

It’s a good thing my Loyalty is to Hentai…It’s also my Religion and my Hobby, so it’s a win-win-win situation for me…

I’m looking forward to RE: Revelations…

I wonder if HUNK will be a playable character or at least a secret character with a side mission like in RE 2 and RE: UC…

• Azure Xuchilbara says:

Me to, friend…

I got every console and every handheld…

And yes, I got a PC and a laptop to download Loli-Futa and Shota Hentai to top it all off…

All this is is comparing who’s d*ck is bigger when they could mix their sperms together and create new flavors…

*stares at Microsoft and Sony comparing d*cks in the Boys Bathroom while Nintendo masturbates alone inside the closet*

Crikey..! Chris’s clone has an Australian accent..!

*thinks about The Merchant from RE4*

• Daiyousei says:

You have an interesting way with words; I haven’t heard this analogy applied to the console wars before. I guess there was that BL manga artefact posted a bit back, though…

Even if it’s only the cut-scenes that look that good on 3DS games, that’ll still be fairly impressive.

-Note on FPSs on the DS
          Dementium was fairly good. The controls aren’t fantastic, but they’re entirely playable; the mild difficulty actually makes it more fun in my opinion.

• Daiyousei says:

I must admit, you have something of a way with words. That’s one analogy I haven’t heard used with consoles. I guess there was that one BL manga artefact posted a while back…

As far as the video goes, if even the cut-scenes of the game look that good it’ll probably be awesome. 1st person shooters actually can work on the DS; look at the dementium series.

• ChaosAngelZero said:

Prove it. It seems your measure of a success game is one that sells just as much the console its on did cause you seem to be ignoring the impressive sales figures I pointed out for RE games on Nintendo consoles. Stop being obstinate and realize that there is an audience for it on NIntendo consoles. Regardless this is irrelevant cause the 3DS is a new console and Capcom obviously wants to invest in it be putting their franchises on it.

ChaosAngelZero said:

GTA china town wars did worse on the PSP…
    Its because you're posting on the main page instead of the forums I think.

• ChaosAngelZero says:

Yeah, that’s probably it. Thanks for the help.

I told you, I’m not scavenging stats for this, it’s common sense. I can’t do the same parallel of a spin-off title outselling a main series one on the current console generation since the Wii has been getting only spin-offs, and both have sold worse than Resident Evil 5 on either console, so… those may be “impressive” sales figures by Nintendo consoles’ standards, but as I told you, that shit doesn’t fly on Capcom’s land. Just think about it for a second, Capcom had to port over to the PS2 three of its four GCN exlusives and cancel a fifth one because, compared to their expectations, they all bombed. They wised up with the home consoles’ titles, they should do so with the portable ones too, just sayin’.

And of course I know GTA:CW did worse on PSP, that’s why I mentioned the PSN and iPhone ports too.

• ChaosAngelZero said:
    Oh well… when I say "grown-ups", I mean <b>men</b> somewhere between 18 and, say, 40 years old, not <i>soccer moms</i> or <i>grannies</i> or, especially, <i>little boys and girls</i>. Those may be much broader demographics (hence Nintendo's success), but they just don't buy Resident Evil games due, precisely, to both subject matter and game mechanics. Don't make me scavenge some statistics or charts where 18 to 40yo men play Resident Evil games more than grannies and brats please, just use your common sense.

I don't think you understood the point I was making. No one is going to argue who buys resident evil games I however wanted to clear up some prejudices with your logic. One being you think there isn't an audience for RE games on Nintendo consoles which isn't the case going by the sales statistics I posted before. Two you seen to associate Nintendo with children software and hardware and we both know that isn't the case as.

ChaosAngelZero said:
    Moving on, the first couple PSP titles were little more than beefed up PlayStation (one) titles, and since that'll be mostly the case with 3DS titles too (some of them rumoured to be beefed up N64 titles and, as the MGS3D tech demo shows, slightly dumbed-down PS2 games), this one is more than likely to run on PSP hardware with very little features cut, just like they managed to run RE4 on the PS2. Remember, movement detection and "map screens" are not remotely essential, especially for <b>grown-up games</b>.

The 3DS is actually capable of current gen rendering techniques things thee PS2 nor PSP can not achieve. It can produce better looking games than the 64, PSP, PS2, and Cube although -possibly- being a technically weaker console than the Cube.

ChaosAngelZero said:
    VGChartz says Resident Evil Outbreak (a lowly spin-off) got higher sales than Zero (a main series title), so it's logical to assume that they could have done much better than they did.

That may or may not be true but the point is Capcom seems to think so which is why they haven't really made an exclusive main RE game since Zero. No one is arguing that capcom wont make as much money on multi platform games than with system exclusives. I am arguing that an audience does exist on Nintendo consoles for these games. I am arguing that this RE game in question may not be possible on the PSP and the DS software has been more successful than PSP software even for third parties anyway. You haven't refuted this at all.

To quote you hit the "QUOTE" button underneath the post you wish to quote.

• ChaosAngelZero says:

Oh darn, I can’t find that quote button… in any case, thanks.

Well, I want to keep it brief, so here goes: there is a very small demographic both playing Resident Evil games and buying Nintendo hardware, the overlap of these is really small; and PSP game sells are also very low, especially taking into consideration the system’s hardware sales (that is to say, it has a comical tie ratio). And those are the reasons why I’m suggesting a port to the PSP would make the project that more profitable, just like Rockstar was smart enough to port GTA: Chinatown Wars to the PSP, PlayStation Network and the iPhone, since it wasn’t getting quite enough sales on the DS due to the reasons I just mentioned and the one point I do not agree with you (that is, either grown-up men don’t buy Nintendo consoles or they do buy them just to play a couple first-party titles and not much else).

• ChaosAngelZero said:
    Okay okay. First off, I'm not suggesting PSP games on average sell better than DS ones, quite the contrary.

Fair enough but it was implied based on you wording you have to admit.

ChaosAngelZero said:
    Second, what I'm saying is that, since the 3DS and PSP hardware is <b>comparable</b>, it'd be a great idea for them to consider <i>porting</i> the game to PSP <b>too</b>, NOT jumping platforms for this particular project. So far there's nothing on the 3DS that the PSP can't do, in the same way there was nothing on the GameCube that couldn't be done on the PlayStation 2, 3D functionality is much more secondary and non-essential than most people seem to realize, just like movement detection.

I beg your pardon? Talk about jumping to conclusions. We don't actually know the 3DS's full specs people are just going by the last pica chips from 2006. We don't even know the things clock speed. We DO know that the chip is capable of current gen techniques like bump mapping which the PSP isn't.
    You seem to disregard most of the other features the DS line have that sets it apart from its peers. A Gyroscope, Dual Screens, and a Touch screen make the DS and 3DS capable of gaming experience you won't find elsewhere, well at least not on this current iteration of the PSP. Also there's features on the 3DS that haven't been revealed yet

ChaosAngelZero said:
    Third: yes, by comparison with other platforms, Resident Evil games do "bomb" on Nintendo consoles (i.e. Capcom is losing not just a few, but a <b>lot</b> of potential sales by releasing it as a system exclusive), Nintendo itself doesn't target its systems towards grown-ups, and a couple third-party games won't be changing that, I assure you. But let's just give it time, although I'm 99% sure this system won't change Nintendo's penchant towards kiddy games and third-parties will have to follow if they want to do big on it as they (well, some of them at least) did with the DS.

But Capcom haven't released a system exclusive RE in a while. The last one was RE0 and that one sold pretty good as I pointed. I don't see your point here.
    You say Nintendo doesn't target "grown ups" (lol) with their consoles but Nintendo themselves says their strategy is to get your Mom, grandma, and your kids to play games along with you. This sounds like a much more broader demographic than say the 17-29 year old male demographic you're alluding to. However your point is once again rendered moot by the sales figures I posted proving that there is a market for these games on Nintendo consoles.
    You should also examine the rest of the 3DS 3rd party support and upcoming titles. They're mostly building a library of games that attracts core gamers. They're also pushing for features core gamers will appreciate like a digital distribution service and better online. This is also NOT the DS and a new console that is largely untested and unproven. The market hasn't been build for this thing yet so all your assumptions are rectum derived.

• ChaosAngelZero says:

Oh well… when I say “grown-ups”, I mean men somewhere between 18 and, say, 40 years old, not soccer moms or grannies or, especially, little boys and girls. Those may be much broader demographics (hence Nintendo’s success), but they just don’t buy Resident Evil games due, precisely, to both subject matter and game mechanics. Don’t make me scavenge some statistics or charts where 18 to 40yo men play Resident Evil games more than grannies and brats please, just use your common sense.

I reread my original post to see if it’s implied by my wording that DS games don’t sell and I can’t quite see it that way. It’s rather clear that, when I say “these things”, I’m talking about the subject at hand, which is a Resident Evil game.

Moving on, the first couple PSP titles were little more than beefed up PlayStation (one) titles, and since that’ll be mostly the case with 3DS titles too (some of them rumoured to be beefed up N64 titles and, as the MGS3D tech demo shows, slightly dumbed-down PS2 games), this one is more than likely to run on PSP hardware with very little features cut, just like they managed to run RE4 on the PS2. Remember, movement detection and “map screens” are not remotely essential, especially for grown-up games.

VGChartz says Resident Evil Outbreak (a lowly spin-off) got higher sales than Zero (a main series title), so it’s logical to assume that they could have done much better than they did.

And finally, and this is a very important question… how do you do the quotes, there? I’d really like to know how to format text like that, I’d be really grateful if you told me. 🙂

• ChaosAngelZero said:
    What could the Capcom suits possibly be thinking? These things don't sell on Nintendo portables. Hell, they don't even sell particularly well on Nintendo systems, period.

Maybe they'll consider porting it to PSP to get a better deal out of it… ?

Hold on there, buddy. Why in the world would a psp port be a better deal? Software has a hard time selling on that consoles in regions other than Asia. You rule out that maybe it can't come to the PSP due to the 3DS tech and features.

You're also pulling stats out your ass. Resident Evil games don't bomb on Nintendo Consoles. The GameCube version of resident evil 4 sold 1.6 million units worldwide. RE4 Wii Edition sold 1,250,000 worldwide. RE0 sold for the GameCube sold 1,250,000. RE Remake for the GameCube sold 1,350,000. RE Umbrella Chronicles for the WII sold 1.1 million copies worldwide.

As you can see these are impressive sales figures. The GameCube revitalized the series.

Regardless your argument for them not selling well on Nintendo consoles is a poor one cause the 3DS isn't even out yet and haven't had time to build an audience. Capcom is setting up an audience for their games on this console by making this game for it.

• ChaosAngelZero says:

Okay okay. First off, I’m not suggesting PSP games on average sell better than DS ones, quite the contrary.

Second, what I’m saying is that, since the 3DS and PSP hardware is comparable, it’d be a great idea for them to consider porting the game to PSP too, NOT jumping platforms for this particular project. So far there’s nothing on the 3DS that the PSP can’t do, in the same way there was nothing on the GameCube that couldn’t be done on the PlayStation 2, 3D functionality is much more secondary and non-essential than most people seem to realize, just like movement detection.

Third: yes, by comparison with other platforms, Resident Evil games do “bomb” on Nintendo consoles (i.e. Capcom is losing not just a few, but a lot of potential sales by releasing it as a system exclusive), Nintendo itself doesn’t target its systems towards grown-ups, and a couple third-party games won’t be changing that, I assure you. But let’s just give it time, although I’m 99% sure this system won’t change Nintendo’s penchant towards kiddy games and third-parties will have to follow if they want to do big on it as they (well, some of them at least) did with the DS.

• Anonymous said:

I really felt completely jipped by the Wii, so they're gonna have to bring out something special next time.

I wouldn't give my hopes up. A PSP2 can easily be unveiled next week and amaze us once again with impressive visuals that surpasses what the 3DS can possibly do. Nintendo is real conservative about this kind they put profits and ease of use first before dumping all the fancy bells and whistle in. Also they're very conscious of Japanese developers and publishers and they don't want development on their consoles to turn out painful and expensive for them But I don't wanna see them in a position where multi platform games skip their console cause the tech isn't up to par with its peers.

• taz0x said:
    that is supposed to be real time render graphics? I unno man, it's capcom, they love to lie about that kind of shit. i remember this trailer fro Onimusha Dawn of Dreams, that was a total bummer.

It is in real time. What is so hard to understand?

also Real time movie =! Actual gameplay.