Nippon Ichi Dumps Rorona from Atelier Rorona

TPCOVERPS3OnlyOn10-1

Nippon Ichi has in its infinite wisdom decided to dump Rorona Fryxell from the cover of her own game, the soon to be released English version of Atelier Rorona, a move liable to incense fans.

The Japanese cover shows of some of Kishida Mel’s gorgeous art with heroine Rorona centre stage:

atelier-rorona-japan-cover
atelier-rorona-japan-disc

Meanwhile the US cover features a mere stave, and as if to add insult to injury actually uses the same image as the Japanese cover (at the bottom), but panned up to keep Rorona firmly out of the picture, favouring instead some flowery medieval buildings:

TPCOVERPS3OnlyOn10-1

An insult to the artistic genius of Kishida Mel and the expectations of fans, or pragmatic marketing based on the assumption that paedophilic Chinese cartoons just won’t sell in the US of A?

Or sheer philistinism on the part of a company unaccustomed to marketing anything not involving a Prinny?

The game itself is released September 28th, with pre-orders already open.

12:47 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't mind so much about coveraged but I just hope this game will not getting dubbed like the others.

Comment by Hazandyne
    14:07 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I studied Japanese partly so I can avoid the crap from those stupid localization companies. I'd rather give my cash to the original creators instead by importing.
    Widening the target market at the expense of the game's overall quality is total BS.

12:47 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why are all N1 games that aren't Disgaea about stupid alchemy crap? I'm so sick of "alchemy." You can't just start calling magic "alchemy" and suddenly have a whole new genre.

14:29 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

NISA at it again I see. I'm worried for Ar tonelico 3 at this rate... they always change the AT covers to less pretty official art... sigh. Also hoping it doesn't get slapped with an M rating (as it did in Taiwan and Hong Kong).

13:12 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe it's like the SSF4 cover... when I bought the US version of SSF4, the original japanese cover was at the back of the US cover(you can just flip it)... if it's like that, then good news!

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    13:18 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yeah..? Well I'm sick of all the macho-men FPS they spew out like aborted fetuses, but I still respect my friends who play them...

It's a gaming preference, friend...

Much like there are tons of Hentai fetishes (and even sub-fetishes under them) out there...

Kinda like people who get turned on by anime girls getting killed, some get turned on by anime guys getting killed...

The same thing applies to NIS games...

Some play it for the alchemy, others play it for the alchemy, and the rest play it just to see Etna and Flonne's armpits, hehe...

*points at himself*

But the fact that NISA screwed the original NIS cover is blasphemy on lolico--er, fans of NIS...

Comment by Hazandyne
    14:26 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:
    Hey, idiot.

You ever worked in the game industry?
    No? Shut the fuck up then.

These changes are forced by the retailers who decide how many copies they'll buy. It's hardly ever a conscious choice on the publisher's end.

I don't care, they still fail either way.

People who look at the Japanese trailers expect almost the same thing when it comes out translated. The disappointment rate is often higher than the satisfaction rate.

So the US gamers who can't be bothered to learn a new language can stick to the butchered crap they get from the LLC bureaucracy.

Personally, I'm sticking with imports. No omissions, no censorship, no BS.

21:51 21/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Just watch out for the mail-checkers!

*Blows kiss* but meruru should be fine. I'm with ya mah boi!!!

Comment by Deibi_Manabu
    14:26 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, if this game is coming to EU, then maybe they'll skip the US cover, like most games do...I've wondered why the US games bother to make alternate covers if they're usually the only ones doing it....

Of course, I could just buy the Japanese version, since I understand Japanese! -_-;

Comment by PrinceHeir
    12:07 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i betting some western idiot who thinks it won't appeal they're demographic seriously this is why i hate localizations sometimes. they try to change the original one to a more appeal to them even though it ruins the product significantly. ever wonder why the name of protagonist in pokemon is ash? or why yu-gi-oh's quality suddenly changed to a children's card game? it's so stupid(and ohhh btw Satoshi is the real name not that shitty "ash" shit i bet some of u did not even know that)

12:44 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Your name is Junoichi, and your best friend is Honda-kun. I'm an annoying otaku so I refuse to call you by the American names." (By the way, Heir, those are Joey and Tristan from YuGiOh, but I bet you did not even know that.)

When raging, please, use capital letters. Even the anons here are being at least that nice.

That said, I agree with the first half of your statement. The USA (and by extension, the English market) is prone to being Macekre'd, which is a real shame. However, marking-wise, it makes sense, as you get the anime fans raging (but will still buy it with a new cover printout), as well as possible japanophobics that would not have otherwise. More sales is more money!

12:26 12/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Um, didn't Yugioh start being about card games in Japan after the first season, long before it ever got to America?

Comment by steph
    09:47 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i hate how north american covers feel the need to make the cover as unappealing as possible.

Comment by tB
    09:39 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Regardless, still a get game.

Comment by Duran
    10:10 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The US cover looks bland.

My solution if you don't like the US game cover, considering you bought the game that is.

Print the original Japanese cover and use it as the game cover replacing the US cover.

Comment by Algester
    11:04 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

that works likewise lol XD in anycase this is already my borderline straw for NISA fail or win is my expectation on what they are going to do with the game

Comment by Unlimitedbladeworks
    11:06 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

meh whatever, also long as they leave the content of the game alone I don't see a problem. It'll make it less incriminating if I leave it on the floor and my roommate discovers it.

Comment by Caligastia
    14:44 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn it, after looking at Totori no Atelier's improvements it's hard to spend cash on this lesser version, but if this one doesn't do good they won't bring the sequel...I hope this one sells, though it seems unlikely.

By removing Rorona from the cover I think they made this game even more of a niche title. Maybe some people would have been drawn to the art, now it seems like a generic RPG, only people familiar with the japanese game are likely to buy it.

11:58 25/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

by: Blkant

Wonder what they have against anime looking characters...

Because the Japanese draw cuter and more attractive female characters.

09:17 17/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If I saw this in a store, not neither knowing what it is nor recognizing the brands, I wouldn't even touch it because it looks like one of those typical cheap girly games.

Comment by Suzumiya Haruhi-tan
    09:43 17/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

once again i easily claim the 100th post

18:36 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is there anything saying this is the final boxart? I could be just a placeholder. And for all you know there will be a limited/special edition with the original boxart.

Funny how the example Artefact cited in the first post, Agarest, had it's UK box art restored after the fan backlash. And the US's 360 box of all things has anime art, for christ's sake.

Just wait and stop getting your panties in a twist. Or go petition NISA.

20:01 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Can someone help me out? I want to get this game but no money ;_; so I have to ask someone to buy it for me. Is there any "questionable" material in it? I'm not a moralfag, I just don't want my family getting any weird thoughts.....

02:54 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There's no "questionable" material in it. But your family might still get a weird thoughts

05:12 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's cool, they already think I'm a pansy for playing girly games. As long as they don't catch onto DFC....

23:41 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Has nothing to do with it being anime. It's a fairy-princess girl on the front cover which won't appeal to young men interested in buying video games in America. They'd probably say "Oh, it's a Barbie game for PS3."

00:30 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hahaha
    american sure needs some fat lips macho women in the cover

but,most part of this game is about cute girl, so why they need to hide it from the customers

their potential buyer is people that already familiar with the game, and not some some random young men

Comment by Nosferatu
    09:15 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm just glad that they are releasing it overseas. I would have liked the original artwork better but considering that we (US and EU) might have not gotten the game at all, I'll get over it. Hope the other ones get released overseas too.

Comment by kaimax
    03:50 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

COVER IMAGES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS

Comment by cupcake_deluxe
    03:49 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not upset but I don't see any reason why they had to change the cover. The original art is tasteful. The new cover isn't particularly bad though. There's no reason to hide the character unless they're afraid that people aren't going to try it out just because the character design.

03:44 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What a Bull! Now it looks like some brain training random puzzle game. And seriously, coming from a company like Nippon-Ichi..?

Comment by Kei-chan
    07:18 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Thats NA selling standards for you, they would destroy the content of any game to ensure that you can't look at an under 18 girl on the cover. Can only hope the actual content of the game wasn't altered in the NA version.

Comment by UraSapMrJap
    03:44 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good change, but they should replace the stave with a chainsaw gun.

Comment by shiroki
    04:01 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The color of the logo differs from the original as well, looks somewhat more computer generated than painted now

Comment by Guumii
    04:15 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

NISA is trying to cover up the Anime on the box cover to try and grab the attention f RPG lovers that dislike anime.

But that isn't keeping them from turn over to the back of the box to see the in game screen shots.

Comment by alex251
    04:23 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

When Japanese will learn it that if you have a problem with DFC in the west so then put a DLC on the cover :)

04:26 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DLC? Delicious Loli Chest..?

Won't make any difference but I surely still approve that :3

Comment by TehBoringOne
    04:32 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm... So THAT's why they charge for it on the PSN... Now... Can you explain this ignorant soul what does DFC stand for? =)

13:42 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Thanks for enlightening me, good sir.

04:38 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Delicious Flat Chest.

Comment by DHYohko
    03:37 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

there afraid that a girl on the cover will turn off manly macho male gamers thinking it's a girly game

Comment by henwy
    04:35 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Looking at that first cover I would have assumed it was some game marketed toward teenage girls. There's no way I would pick it up unless I already knew more about it.

Comment by BlaqCat
    07:43 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If you talk to anyone via x-box live. You kind of come to the conclusion that they may be right. I swear at least 80% of players think like retarded grade schoolers...

Comment by Artefact

That may be because they are...

Comment by Zanosuke_Kurosaki
    03:13 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe they're just trying to avoid some unfortunate implications by having what's obviously an under-16 girl on the cover.

Comment by Lord Ryo
    03:40 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I haven't played the game so I don't know if there's anything ecchi or not. But unles there was it wouldn't matter if she looked under aged as there are a lot of games with kids depicted in anime style on US boxart. I think rather it would draw certain people away seeing an anime character on the box, at least now they wont know until the look at the back, but by then they may have decided that it looked interesting.

15:41 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Rorona is super ecchi. With references to lesbianism, sperm and adultery (non exhaustive). But there's nothing wrong with any of those!

I think its time to remember there's a line between fictional lolis and real lolis. So irregardless of what's in Rorona, its not justification to censor her face from the cover of her own game.

Comment by Mikorio
    03:16 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But she's not doing anything sexual or with sexual implications And if they were worried about under 16's in video games, where would Kingdom Hearts be?

Comment by T-Joker
    09:30 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But unfortunately not all of them will think like that -_-

09:55 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

+1 to Mikorio. Exactly my thoughts.

03:55 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What do you expect from the (possibly) second land of Loliphobes, US of A? Ppl were even speculating and dreading that Arcana Heart shouldn't come to their clean land fearing the existence of fighting underage pixels.

Comment by Manji88
    07:03 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Zanosuke, I think you are absolutely correct. The USA is hypersensitive to such things.

Comment by BlaqCat
    07:39 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And at the same time...just loves to watch, and bitch about, such things as Family Guy and Boondocks. We're like hypocrisy in the form of a country.