Nintendo 3DS & Sony PSP Specs Compared

nintendo-3ds-announced-001-a-1

If the hype is to be believed Nintendo’s 3DS will utterly destroy all flimsy PSP opposition and be crowned undisputed king of handhelds come release, but the release of the GPU used in the device and a subsequent comparison to its PSP nemesis seems to put this in doubt, at least going by the paper specification…

The comparison shows the 3DS trailing slightly in polygon output and leading strongly in fill rate (although it is not yet clear whether the lower screen draws on this fill rate as well or not):

3ds-vs-psp

This comparison has been interpreted as showing a slight to moderate lead on the part of the 3DS, although the screenshots thus far shown seem significantly superior to the PSP’s current level (as crudely demonstrated by 2ch below), and it would be quite surprising if the 3DS were to be released at a significantly higher price than a 6-year-old console whilst only sporting comparable graphics.

mgs-psp-3ds

00:56 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I found an error in your logic.

"(3DS is) leading strongly in fill rate"

3DS: 500 million
    PSP: 664 million

Is a larger fill rate supposed to be a bad thing for the PSP? I thought that it was a good thing, especially if the screen is slightly smaller.

00:26 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Like they said, the gamecube pulls out some better visuals than the ps2 like for example resident evil, and who is acustumed by nintendo knows that they can always push the hardware to the core, i mean look at super mario galaxy, metroid and even monster hunter thats from capcom.

I honestly belive that's up to the developer to work it around the hardware.

oh yeah KH on the ds looked fucking bad ass even if you cant compare it xD

and fuck the iphone, steve jobs get out of the gaming business

02:54 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is there any mention of a tilt sensor?

01:59 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

God, Artefact, you're such a Sony fanboy. All your articles are so clearly biased towards Sony products.

Comment by Somewhatabasher00
    01:15 25/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you're reversing something here. Artefact is a nintendo fanboy.

Comment by Petori
    08:27 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How is this article which praises the 3DS's capabilities Sony fanboyism?

11:58 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lmao,read the article again.
    Then read your comment.
    You silly goose.

00:22 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

HD Love Plus anyone? :3

00:19 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

3DS can filtrate more pixels , even if the vertex perfomance is less than PSP , 3DS give more quality and clean detail.

we need consider the fact the vertex perfomance is not superior 'cuz the gpu is processing two screens , so if the 3DS only had one screen the vertex perfomance and filtrate can be more superior.

Comment by Abel Liegod
    23:07 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

3DS graphics looks better, but graphic alone dont make a good game.

22:29 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There isn't much significant difference between the specs of 3DS and the PSP. But I play my PSP more because of the good line-up of games on it. If the 3DS gets good game releases (from the looks of it, it does) then I'll definitely get one.

Comment by Loliliberator
    21:54 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I play my PSP much more than my DS (I've practically abandoned it now) because I much prefer the controls, there's better games and it's more comfortable to hold.
    I don't really need absolutely fantastic graphics in anything other than cut scenes.

23:08 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer my DS way more to my PSP; I barely touch the PSP. But isn't it odd/biased to be comparing the incoming 3DS with the PSP specs? I don't one could find an example of gaming hardware from a competitor that isn't better than its 5 year old rival in any area. Even the Wii was more powerful than a PS2, if just barely.

23:56 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I bought an Xbox for DOA3, I bought a 360 for DOA4, and I'm going to buy a 3DS for DOA too!

01:39 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yep DOA is my favourite too!

23:45 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

those numbers for the pica200 are NOT accurate...

Comment by Ota-Kool
    04:41 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Its almost the same to me but a little bit detail for 3ds but I think they will battle for gameplay innovation.

15:33 26/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll get the 3DS lite or 3DS XL LOL

Comment by tingle
    14:19 11/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I no longer care about Starfox 3ds I want SIN AND PUNISHMENT to get a 3DS version. That would be awesome. hell I'm even dusting off my Wii just to buy that awesome game.

00:01 30/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So, this thing's only MARGINALLY better than something 6 years old?

21:17 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

awesome but what do you expect psp is hella old, it still sony's first handheld no?
    how many times did nintendo have to try to finaly just barely pass sony's psp in terms of hardware.
    but hey love both my psp and dsi. can't wait to see the 3DS in action though.

Comment by Ghostchase
    18:20 15/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't care about the specs! I'm just dreaming about playing Peace Walker on 3DS!

08:14 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Obviously it would have higher specs then the PSP, otherwise it would totally fail. However, by the small margin of it it's really not much to brag about.

I would imagine a psp2 or similar product to show up about a year after the 3ds.

07:38 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Comparable graphics? Come on, look at the textures there. Ouch.

Comment by Jew
    08:54 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's comparing apples to oranges. There are pros and cons to both systems. What matters is they both produce impressive results for handhelds.

The GPU in the 3DS is special, even though it lags behind in certain aspects it takes very, very little power, which will help the battery life. It is also extremely easy to program for.

17:01 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's fine and dandy but how about battery life?

11:45 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If they can port over some Gamecube titles, I would jizz.

Comment by tingle
    21:32 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hey check this out, it's not "final" on the design could change like the DS did after e3.

My suggestion? dual analogue nubs also I'm modding mine to have the same color scheme as my virtual boy.

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    13:00 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder if they'll re-release Tales of Symphonia or any of the GameCube/N64 classics...

I'd love to play Pilot Wings 64 again...Spent plenty o' time watching those pilots die from such a bloody height...

Comment by alidan
    13:21 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

n64 classics, you bet your ass.
    tales... i doubt it, because of the company that made it financial problems, the game itself if 4gb big or close to it, and the engine and most of the game would need to be reworked, probably not.

Comment by Eriol-kun
    13:22 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Out of the top of my head I recall Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 remakes.

Comment by alidan
    16:12 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

are they remakes or ports? the oot i saw didnt look all to great, but that was little more than a still i saw.

and also remember, oot take up less than 100mb on the n64, and starfox was probably 24mb at most.

Comment by alidan
    01:01 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ok, oot will be great, but lets hope they dont fuck up the star fox at all.

19:55 13/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OOT is only 32MiB, starfox 64 is 12MiB, releasing the original games with an emulator would take little effort (past making the emulator) and require very little storage space.

20:47 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OoT is a remake, they're completely updating the graphics, as well as altering the menus and some gameplay. Looks awesome.

Comment by Firetribe
    12:35 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The 3DS screen shot looks like it was ripped from a cut scene, while the PSP one looks like actual gameplay.

Having said that, I'm not going to judge until I actually hold the damn thing, but next I would like to have a comparison of battery life.

Comment by alidan
    13:19 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

look at the background of the 3ds

the jaggies, the bad background textures, and look at snake pollys are easily visible.

and the tree, holy shit.

sure this may be a cutsceen, but this is an in engine cutsceen, and i would say defiantly not video. consider the 2gb of the game for now, the fact that its not 1 video but 2 the would have to have, how long the cutsceens in those games typically are, its hard to fit them on a 8gb dvd much less a 2gb hand held.

Comment by Firetribe
    20:56 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope it looks just as good in gameplay.

Comment by alidan
    00:59 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

there is a possibility the character model is a different one, like in uncharted where cutsceen and game play models were different, but the effects on the face and everything is all ingame

Comment by Hinsoog
    12:34 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to say, I personally am relieved that it is possible that it is slightly more powerful than the PSP, because Nintendo has been pretty stingy in that department for the entire history of their handhelds and now again on the console side with the Wii. I am sooo excited for this machine, but I want it to be clear that it really is a serious successor to the DS. I had this annoying feeling that when they said it has "improved graphics" at E3 that it'd turn out to still be clearly inferior to the PSP, thus sticking to their simple graphics and simple controls policy on handhelds that they've maintained for so many years. Sure it's a waste that it's not a clear step past the PSP's processing power, but this is Nintendo, so I'm feeling lucky. I am so excited!

Comment by RunnerRed
    07:23 23/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

nintendo akso has a loooong record in the use of cheap screens, not to mention the reamining hardware... i'm not eager to see that machine, but i admit a litte curious.

Adding the touchscreen - which will probably used only as decorated touchpad - to "effective" (ie not-seen-as) resolution is a tad laughable... isn't it like adding cow with chicken and express the sum in ..say...bra cup ?

Comment by alidan
    13:12 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

with there hand helds they went battery over all else, look at gamegear vs gameboy

one had 8-14 hour of battery life possibly more, i forget

and the other had 4 hours at best.

Comment by goruka
    14:59 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If it supports multitexturing/shaders and hardware clipping, it's a huge step ahead of the PSP, no matter what the poly/pixel rates are.

Comment by alidan
    16:10 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

thats true.

look at the p4 3ghz and the atom 1.8

the atom i believe is = if not better than the p4 with hyperthreading.

plus, we have seen the peak of psp graphics. we have only seen the first gen of 3ds graphics

Comment by Eriol-kun
    12:31 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Comparing a 2D platform with a Pseudo-3D platform? I think there is an inherent difference here.

Comment by Reizo
    11:32 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Aren't graphics based more on the software of the actual game itself rather than the GPU?

Comment by alidan
    13:07 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

artstyle and engine, and also depends on what they want to fake such as real phisics, or caned animation, think of things like that but for graphics problems

Comment by Myballz
    11:41 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well let's see what happens

Comment by Algester
    12:17 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

engine wise yes (it is totally dependent on the developer) but the capacity the GPU can handle also varies

Comment by shoranhimura
    11:29 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the problem with looking at the specs is that it is hugely dependent on the developers...

kid icarus and msg were shown and the difference in graphics at least is HUGE...

now all that remains is to wait and see the real thing...

Comment by alidan
    13:05 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

they are also different styles.

kid looks like a nintendo game
    mgs look like a game going for realism.