3DS “Expected to Cost $250-$300”

nintendo-3ds-e3-001-2

Nintendo’s announcement of its latest DS iteration, the 3DS, has been greeted with some enthusiasm, but notably omitted any mention of the price – this has been estimated at being from $250 to $300, the price of a full blown home console.

One market analyst puts it thus:

“Nintendo’s 3D-enabled handheld device (3DS) was the largest draw at E3, and we believe it will be successful at extending the company’s leadership position in the portable market.

Importantly, the 3DS does not require glasses or a 3D TV to enjoy a 3D experience, which we believe will resonate well with consumers.

We expect a late 2010 launch of the 3DS in Japan, followed by March 2011 in North America, with a price point in the $249-$299 range.”

This would be much more expensive than Nintendo’s previous handhelds at $100-$200, and in fact on par with its home consoles, and equivalent to the PSP, prompting a sceptical reaction from many.

Significantly, this would have a major impact on the buyability of the console for children – just whether this is intended, or simply indicates Nintendo has a trick up its sleeve or intends to sell as a loss-leader, looks set to be a matter of some speculation.

Comment by カンチ
    22:57 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Nintendo did not say a price and I highly don't they will price it that high. A handheld costing more than your home console is ridiculous first of all and second, Nintendo knows how to market. They know that parents aren't shelling out 250 bucks for their little niggas and have to buy a game no less. It's gonna be no higher than $210

Comment by Jorori
    22:40 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What? Between 250$ and 300$? Well, knowing it's just speculation it's kind of a relief, I hope a real price between 170$ and 200$.

Comment by fxc2
    20:26 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The last Nintendo handheld I owned was Gameboy Advanced. Looks like that's about to change...

Comment by AiEm
    22:21 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Was expecting this but sadly though it's the same reason I didn't buy the PSP early in it's release.

If this is true then... No.... It may be good but I'm gonna wait till that price goes pocket friendly.

Hype and budget senses... Budget senses are stronger so I'll gladly wait.

Comment by Lucifer
    04:31 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

My last Nintendo console was SNES, looks like that's about to change.. Price is quite reasonable.

Comment by cats2
    15:00 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

PSP with about the same specs is what, 120? Lol Nintendo..

Comment by Shippoyasha
    15:51 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So I guess we wait about a year after the release of the 3DS and the "3DS Slim" comes out with much more improvements and being $100 cheaper.

Or hell, wait 2 years and it'd be dirt cheap. WITH MORE IMPROVEMENTS!

Comment by Ken
    21:18 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The price makes me changed my mind about buying 1... Stuck at DSi now :p

07:00 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's the mareket analyist guessing, not the real thing.

07:30 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This.

I'm holding off judgement until I hear a price from Nintendo, it would be quite a surprise if their handheld was priced more than their home console. Understandable maybe, given the tech, but still surprising.

Comment by BlaqCat
    22:15 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

No surprises here. Got to pay to play (and I'm starting to save NOW)

10:57 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Too expensive for my tastes, but on the other hand, it has got a nifty 3D screen and besides, I know people who have paid €300 for their phone. So I expect it will sell, insane price tag or not. Hopefully, it will come down as the novelty wears off.

Comment by MasterYuke
    03:25 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

large pricetag... but an awesome machine. I'll still buy it, but if it gets over $300 then forget about it.

10:11 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

by using anons "wait-for-it"-logic, you could also say "don't ever buy a console again, a better console will eventually be made" :P

those matters aside, it's not really that much money... cheaper food, cut down on the partying and snacks, and before you know it, you'll sit there with $300 in your hands, reaady to buy it :)

09:59 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Pshhh...just save ur money for a 3DS XL cause you know thats coming and then Nintendo will have some amazing offer that if you trade in your orginal 3DS you get the XL 3DS for $199! And for all the people who just couldn't wait for 3DS will blow there heads off hearing this offer...but im just saying. Oh my!

09:42 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

meh, 's not really that expensive, i kinda expected it to end up around that price. just cut back on the partying/snacks and buy slightly cheaper food and you'll be fine...

Comment by Majineko
    00:49 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

still. look at the hardware. is it really worth more than the wii and psp? extremely close to the price of the ps3/xbox....idk. i have to think hard about this one. at the end of the day, its still just a handheld. 150 to 300 is a huge jump

if you look at it... the price of the first release of the DS when it was out for the first time is... near this price range which then just quickly got cheaper by the time. So I can't say the price is THAT bad.

15:58 20/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Official DSi costs 330 in my country now and is still being bought. 3ds will probably cost about 500 and I'm still going to buy it - even if it means no drinking out for a month.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    22:20 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sasuga Nintendo, their profit from customer always in the first place!!

Comment by yuriphoria
    00:32 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

For once (it seams) they aren't being cheapskates with their consoles so I'd say let them, now if only we could have a Wii with modern graphics...

Comment by Yden
    20:33 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well until we get a real price from Nintendo, I wouldn't put my trust into that price. For all we know, Nintendo has been cutting deals and whatnot getting parts at cheap prices or they have some sort of partnership.

But in all truth, I doubt a price like that will stop me from getting one myself :3

Comment by Jew
    22:06 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This is Nintendo. They have never had a system at more than $200 until the Wii, and that was simply because of the demand from retailers for a bigger cut.

They succeed because they make sure their hardware and software is profitable from day 1, and mass market friendly.

You can count on the 3DS to be $180.

Comment by Majineko
    00:58 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

thats wat i was thinkin. nintendo is known for throwing out prices that anyone can handle. to jump to 300 seems really odd of them. i hope they were just bsing to get the reaction of the crowd. not even the failed psp go went that high

I paid 400+ for my gamecube with two games and two controllers launch day, so yes I do think Nintendo has released consoles in that price range before.

You can count on the 3DS to be $250+

Comment by Majineko
    07:12 20/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

still a handheld. not a system. if there wii was 350 or even the ps3/xbox, then ill say its cool. but seeing how the competition is. it seemed silly to price it that high.

now remember, adult gamers are not the only target here. 300 bucks for something that small is bound to turn parents off. and thats a big percentage of nintendo's sales.

if this is really true, i have a feeling nintendo will drop the price in the holidays. christmas pwnage.

13:03 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Expect it to be 15k-16k in the Philippines.... Well it's a lot better than Wii, PS3 or any of the home consoles....

15:08 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And this is a surprise for some people? It's a small portable system with a graphical capability of the gamecube with a brand new screen technology; $200-300 is very reasonable for what it's offering.

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    16:08 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's basically pocket PS2/GameCube...

Imagine playing Zone of Enders 2 or even friggin' Tales of Symphonia on that!!!

HELL YEAH, I'M BUYING THE BLOODY THING!!!

12:53 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

a "market analyst" huh? so someone who spins bullshit to control how people spend their money.

this person's guess is credible... why, exactly?

14:27 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nintendo, I love you. You've always treated me right but NO. HELL NO!

11:31 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I see a bunch of weeaboos who were willing to shell out 600 for an inferior console with no games, and now they are whining over 300 for a handheld with 3D graphics on par with the Wii if not better, with a load of amazing games already announced? Fellate Sony some more.

Comment by Genius
    11:50 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol on par with the Wii? I don't think so bub.
    Fellate Nintendo some more.

17:04 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You know there are actually videos and screens out right? Maybe before embarrassing yourself you should research the matter. the 3DS' graphics are gorgeous.

01:24 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Gorgeous? They're barely PSP level.

11:23 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well that kills my interest. I think I'll wait to see what Sony brings to the table before I bother dropping such a large pile of cash.

12:43 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Y'all are idiots for believing some random analyst spout off a random number. No doubt he's been paid off by Sony to start a rumor to kill off 3DS interest, and y'all are dumb enough to fall for it. Haven't any of you learned to not trust things on the Internet without a reliable source?

Idiots.

06:27 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

--screw that console.. I'd rather buy an PS3 or an PSP for that kind of money. The only "revolutionary" thing about this is the 3D screen. WOAW.. not really, who cares? Buy a 3D tv instead.. Nintendo will burn to the ground xD no but seriusly they should realese better games, stop with pokemon and scribblenauts and bring in som action for fuck sake..

15:02 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The fact is majority of sales go to people who like to play simple games like pokemon or scribblenauts. Nintendo caters to their market and is very successful at what they do. You can't please everybody all the time... it's a fact of life, but they do what they can, and they do it well.

18:20 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

psp2 quadcore will break this piece of 3hi7

00:40 20/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah man, I'm with you. This new console is clearly not worth the money. I mean, it's only got a 3D screen. It doesn't even come with goggles! Whats up with that?! Just because its got a really big and nice screen, good graphics, thumb-fitting analog, stereoscopic cameras, a large catalog of games from the DS, and one of the best looking launch lineups I've ever seen from a console...

Oh, wait. Thats not shitty at all.

18:05 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Painful on the wallet, but will still buy.
    Lets hope it stays closer to the $250.

05:51 21/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Love Plus 3d. Suddenly every ronery otaku will have a 3ds.

00:39 20/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Only if it has graphics better than the PSP!

16:38 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

honestly, I expected as much :/

Comment by tingle
    06:48 21/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I just want a second analog stick would that be SOOO hard? nooo use the touch screen or gyroscope, that sounds horrible to me.

08:36 22/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Regardless, it'll sell a fuckton

06:28 19/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hear it's near the processing power of the wii, considering it has much less screen it has to render the graphics should be far better than the wii, hoping nintendo support big SD cards so it has more than just games, would hurt the PSP2 a lot when it's out.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    22:59 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, for 3D in the palms of my hands, its not a bad price... and considering the line up that seem to be launch titles... why wouldn't I wanna invest some more $$$ into it :P

Comment by destructorv2
    20:40 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

meh... I'm ok with whatever price it is, as long as it works

Comment by Cobaltiquity
    23:23 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to be completely honest, I'd still buy it at that price. I'd probably only have buyer's remorse when and if a slimmed down version appears touting better battery life.