K-ON! Composition Not So Perfect After All

ritsu-home

K-ON!’s notoriously scrupulous character design and animation seems not to be quite as perfect as was previously thought – fans poring over the girls’ houses have managed to dig up some inconsistencies.

Mio’s home appears to be having some trouble with its windows:

mio-home

Meanwhile, the Tainaka residence’s neighbouring house appears to have been rebuilt 3 times:

ritsu-home

Far from being a indictment of shoddy animation as is usually the case with such lapses, that this sort of nitpicking minutiae is all that can be leveled at the show is high praise indeed, although a DVD rectification would still likely be well received.

Comment by destructorv2
    09:06 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Tainaka resident has a face for a mailbox, thats just creepy.

Mio's window on the 3rd pic makes me think blood splatter when she heard Ritsu is going out with a guy. Yandere thing, ya...

11:23 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It is even creepier how its expression changes over time:

▄▄ ▄▄
    ▬▬▬▬

██ █
    ▬▬▬

■ ▪
    ▬▬

12:31 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That better be in Happychairishappy [http://happychairishappy.com/] X3

09:24 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

One would think that the Koreans animating this would choose to use preexisting scenes, instead of designing new ones from scratch. Way to give up valuable design time there, guys.

07:29 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My guess for the inconsistencies is that different background artists are working at it at different episodes. Not to mention that Japan is outsourcing these days and the low pay.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    04:36 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Meanwhile, the Tainaka residence’s neighbouring house appears to have been rebuilt 3 times" that's alot of anime have been spending

12:11 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

at least that goddamn lame white fiat uno still there, unless it is fiat uno turbo i would be glad

12:12 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

shit , that is fiat panda, so fucking lame

17:09 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Erosion and abrasion detected!

00:18 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't be surprised when complaints like this lead to CG model backgrounds that are CAD-perfect from every angle. Oh wait, this is normally from the same people that also complain about any use of CGi at all.

09:35 18/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You know this is what happens when you outsource to places like Korea or China for cheap labor. You get many different animators who have different drawing styles and aren't trained to copy a design. It says for itself doesn't it?

15:28 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mio just placed curtains.

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    13:22 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

WELL of course Ritsu's house has been rebuilt at least three tiems,...

Your house would be too if it were in the part of the neighborhood that gets trampled by giant monsters & mobile suits - every so often!!!

As for Mio's house and the windows - well, is it her fault she has the corner room, and she happens to be a shy girl. Surely she'll have the blinds down most of the tiem.

But its mostly her mom's fault for redesigning the windows every spring. And her dad's love of tinkering, and indulging his waifu's fancies.
    Mio has great parents out of all the girls!!

o.o!!

14:18 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

... I guess at points where nitpicking starts to come till this stage is what makes things uninteresting.

It is uninteresting.

13:40 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

THe power of otaku!
    Detail to it's finest detail.
    Nothing escape from otaku.
    creepy.
    how much detail do they still know in secret?

Comment by VeriSilvio
    00:18 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Words can not describe how much I pity the people who compared this *sigh*

Comment by flood
    00:21 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

While they're so proud of themselves finding these small minor things, other's pity them. How very sad.

00:38 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd appreciate it more if they keep on uncovering the secrets and personal life of the K-on mob characters instead.

Comment by Schrobby
    03:22 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Like the Azunyan nopan scene some weeks ago?

Comment by flood
    19:47 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope, he said "mob characters" meaning characters like Fuuko or Akane or Himeko. I too would like to find our more about them. Well of course I'd also wanna find out things similar to Azunyan's nopan scene~

Comment by madmax
    00:04 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

no one cares about this shit.

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    11:23 16/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

apparently you're misinformed - if nobody cared then the rest of us wouldn't of cared to post our own opinions.

in my opinion, . . you're the pretender and a fraud. Thusly your opinion is utterly irrelevant.

I wish I could sic motaku at you, but I don't know his email address.

o.o*!!!

Comment by Actar
    00:09 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I say I do, so your statement is immediately deemed null and void. Not so wise to put up baseless, blanket statements like that.

Comment by Rethardus
    00:22 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

While you do seem to care about this shit, I think more people DON'T care about this shit.

Comment by flood
    00:28 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Of course, since majority are arrogant and ignorant. That's normal. What you said was redundant. Actar's point was to show that madmax's comment wasn't fact, since madmax said "no one".

I too posted a comment earlier that I did somewhat cared.

Anyway you're right. Most people just don't care. I think it's a waste of time finding these things out, but I never thought that knowing this would be a waste of time.

Comment by flood
    00:16 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I do think this is unimportant, but the way you say it sounds like no one cares AT ALL. I do feel a little for this little difference in animation.

Comment by deadbeat
    00:02 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anime fans turning into amateur architects!!! Finally, the mystery of K-On's niche reveals itself!

00:17 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anime fans: disallowing anime characters from renovating their houses since Clannad After Story..

Comment by flood
    00:00 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The inconsistencies are similar enough. Of course it isn't perfect, but I don't think I could call this "shoddy" :/

00:21 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, they look alright to me.

You try drawing the same thing 5000 times and see how you do.

Comment by An Otaku's Opiate
    01:02 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As if you guys wouldn't be accusing the animators of laziness and "obvious lack of skill" if it was anything other than K-ON.

08:05 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How can you not get that?

Comment by AiEm
    09:55 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh anon u....

Comment by Kei-chan
    05:54 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How do you guys know that both families aren't crazy renovators? The time in which episodes occur are quite spaced out, so reno's could happen and be done with.

Don't assume unless you've thought of all the possibilities.

03:05 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't say that they're lazy. It may be possible that they're crazy though.

00:20 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

True that.

I'd say it's better than using the same recycled background from previous episodes.

00:34 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can still call the series shoddy though, nitpicking aside, it's the show and plot itself that needs rectifying in the DVD, visuals have always been a sidebar next to plot for me. Look at AVATAR for example, visually beautiful but the plot is still shit wrapped in shit + dances with smurfs, i mean wolves.

11:17 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

10:43 to troll or not to troll that is the question, not like lucky star? Bullshit from the get go to be frank. Your arguement is trying to say that because k-on has marginally more plot than lucky star it's superior? The fact lucky star had completely no plot was where it's genius was at... Konata trying to eat a chocalate cone for example, this was not trying to be overly cute or funny, they just did it and it was cute and funny, in comparison with k-on where i believe it's a case of trying to hard and failing because of it. Lucky star was never hyped and over idolised as much as k-on has been and the only arguement you have along that basis is the fact it's been out far longer. Let me try to explain the hype, it's a typical case of rebelling against the mass naturally, because alot of people like k-on i want to hate it because the like of the show is not on a beautiful artistry conception like gurren lagann might have or Bakemonogatari might have. The like comes from pure infatuation with the moe-blob style, which is fair enough. I don't have a problem with the show itself, what i hate is how popular it is with no real backing, except being a reused slow pace genre, much in the same way that JRPG sales are plummetting for the same reason.

10:43 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, let me give you 3 reasons I fucking hated Lucky Star, but I liked K-On!:

1. I didn't find it (LS) funny at all. All it basically was, was a bunch of references to other shows that were somehow supposed to be funny. The comedy wasn't there at all. But for a person that likes to make fun of subjective arguments, Mr. 10:01, your entire post was full of nothing but that.

2. Aside from comedy, it was a bunch of fucking filler. Lucky Star just didn't have ANYTHING. K-On! At least gives some semblance of character development, and there's the overarching music theme going on. It at least does that properly, while adding in a bunch of cute, warm moments with a lovable (okay I liked them whether you do or not is debatable) cast.

3. Actually, I never really thought of a third reason, but since we're on the subject of hype, I don't understand how LS wasn't hyped. I see people worshipping it all the time... then I decide to watch it... biggest god damn waste of time I ever experienced. It just sucked.

In other words, I liked K-On! for what it was. What it was aiming for, I think it did well. Maybe you were expecting some epic, galactic space drama shit from it, due to all the hype... which FYI there isn't a terribly large amount of ways to get hyped for an anime, considering that this is the US and you aren't going to see it advertised here, so unless you deliberately hype yourself for something, it's not going to happen, fool.

10:01 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lord Ryo for one thing you using your own preference to justify your arguement with "Unless the humour is that bad, which isn't the case here" merely your preference. On top of that why do i love Lucky Star and completely hate K-on, let me give you 3 good reasons. 1. general hype (this is a killer for most people), your expecations soar and then crash land spectacularly 2. they DO use 'shoddy' comical jokes, example; Mio, why are we supposed to find her over excessive fright at scary thing funny, i don't find it cute or funny. 3. The plot, well the fact there isn't one.

06:16 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

For those that don't feel like reading the posts from Anonymous up to Kei-chan1 the TL;DR:

"BAWWWW THIS SLICE OF LIFE ANIME HAS NO PLOT! SHIT SUCKS!" GTF over it bro.

Comment by Kei-chan
    05:51 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with you Ryo, stop bitching about a lack of story from an anime thats not really meant to have one. Its just a comedy, laugh and go watch something else. You bitchy nitpickers need to shut up, unless you can animate something better and it gets on tv then keep quiet.

Theres a reason K-ON! has been redone 6 or 7 times, once every decade. Because its popular, because people watch it, because they like it. Theres something simple to consider, if you don't like it then don't watch it, and stop posting on the relating topics.

Comment by Lord Ryo
    22:42 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@10:01
    Come one there's a difference between bad/not funny humor and FUCKING HORRIBLE humor. I can see how people could find K-ON! not funny or repetitive. But there should be a general understanding of what really bad comedy is and K-ON! doesn't cross it. It's not my preference.

And would you really let general hype ruin an anime for you? I personally don't let what I read/hear influence my opinion, that's why there's too many anime I hate but seem to be really popular. I got curious about Code Geass after it was thrown in my face so much but I didn't watch it expecting the greatest anime of all time (even thou that's exactly what I got)

The show emphasizes moe. Mio runnung from everything scary is a combination of moe moe look at her and something funny. It's not like one of the characters tell you every five minutes that Mio gets scared easily and you're just supposed to laugh, there's usually a funny skit leading up to Mio running and crying. This show definitely has a required taste to enjoy but that doesn't make it bad. And I'm not explaining the plot again. If people other than Kei-chan1 can't understand a simple concept then I give up on explaining it.

20:12 15/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

11:17 Where to start.

"10:43 to troll or not to troll that is the question, not like lucky star? Bullshit from the get go to be frank. Your arguement is trying to say that because k-on has marginally more plot than lucky star it's superior?"

... Not marginally more plot. Lucky Star had zero plot, and no sense of cohesiveness or drive. It's like dividing 1 by zero. What do you get? Infinity. Frankly speaking K-On had an infinite amount more plot than Lucky Star because Lucky Star didn't have SHIT.

"The fact lucky star had completely no plot was where it's genius was at... Konata trying to eat a chocalate cone for example, this was not trying to be overly cute or funny, they just did it and it was cute and funny, in comparison with k-on where i believe it's a case of trying to hard and failing because of it."

No, it wasn't funny at all. At least not to me. The first thing I thought when I came upon that is "oh shit here's where they're gonna try to be funny let's see if it's funny" it wasn't. Lucky Star has fucking OBVIOUS attempts at trying to be funny, whereas (as far as I could tell) K-On pretty much had none.

"Lucky star was never hyped and over idolised as much as k-on has been and the only arguement you have along that basis is the fact it's been out far longer. Let me try to explain the hype, it's a typical case of rebelling against the mass naturally, because alot of people like k-on i want to hate it because the like of the show is not on a beautiful artistry conception like gurren lagann might have or Bakemonogatari might have."

... Okay, and the proof you have of the first sentence is... where? Oh that's right it DOESN'T FUCKING EXIST BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO STATISTICS AT ALL AND YOU'RE JUST SPOUTING SHIT OUT RIGHT NOW. FYI you also apparently don't understand shit about art. If you did, you'd maybe realize that art comes in many forms, and no one expression of it is objectively better than any other.

This is also known as subjectivity. In other words, don't just diss something because it's popular and people say it's moe blob. I don't understand people like you. You go against hype, yet you go with the crowd when talking about shows. In other words, you're pulling a fucking contradiction right here in this very spot.

"The like comes from pure infatuation with the moe-blob style, which is fair enough. I don't have a problem with the show itself, what i hate is how popular it is with no real backing, except being a reused slow pace genre, much in the same way that JRPG sales are plummetting for the same reason."

For the first part of that, read above. For the last part of it, I don't know what the hell you're trying to relate this shit to, but stop pulling out references to JRPGS out of your ass.

Comment by Shanyy
    17:04 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What's this wall of text? May K-ON! and it's sequel it's better than Lucky Star, but they still don't beat even Doraemon.

It's not perfect at all? 'Cuz it's a money-grubbing faggotry. Don't mess business with art.

Did you notice, there are no news on Sankaku nowadays? Shit about K-ON, shit about Kiss x Sis, and nothing else.

12:59 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

moeblob fag

Comment by Lord Ryo
    01:22 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mild inconsistencies are no problem, it just means that each scene was drawn new and not recycled from previous episodes, as previous stated.

But neither this or the show as a whole is shoddy. It gets tiresome hearing people bitching about how the shows lack of story or plot. That's not what the show is about, it's a comedy so just laugh. If you want an anime with an engaging story then look somewhere else, but your personal preference in anime doesn't make K-ON! "shoddy" To those who like it, it entertains in a different way than an anime with a real story behind it, and as long as it entertains does it matter how? I like it because it's funny as hell, I like Eden of the East because it has an interesting story. Both entertain me in different ways but the end result is that I like both. If anything K-ON! is better this way as you can't really go wrong with it, either it's funny or it's not, but can you really hate something just because it's not funny? (Unless the humor is THAT bad which isn't the case here) You can pass on it if it's not your cup of after school tea. But stop setting such high expectations for a damn comedy anime!

Comment by vocaloidfan
    02:00 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

no one considering they did some renovation on their house ? I did with mine every years, and yes they change little by little :)

Comment by Schrobby
    03:13 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Normal KyoAni quality...

Comment by flood
    19:50 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, didn't notice. Tainaka residence number of windows..
    First picture: 2-3-2
    second picture 2-3-2
    third picture: 2-2-3 :O

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    00:41 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I could care less about some BG art.

As long Yui doesn't dump gitah, Mio never gets a BF and Azunyan doesn't grow up, I'm a very happy man ^^

Comment by John Hayabusa
    07:58 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it fine to you if Mio gets Ritsu or another girl instead of a BF and Yui has both Gitah and Azu-nyan?

Can we see some screenshots of Yui's, Mugi's, and Azu-nyan's house too?

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    12:54 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Yuri is fine", says Mugi
    =3

00:55 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Take that, So-you-want-to-live-with-k-on-girl architect otaku. Now you have different versions of the girls' houses to model!

Comment by Schrobby
    03:16 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Complete with wandering windows (TM). ^_^

Comment by Tex_Arcana
    04:49 14/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why yes, I do want to live with a girl architect otaku.

Even if she's not into K-on.