You are proceeding to a page containing mature content. Is this OK?

check Yes, show me everything
close No, hide anything sensitive

Publishers Vow War on Scanlation “Piracy is Rampant”

pirate-musume-by-miyama-zero

Top Japanese and US manga publishers have formed a coalition with the aim of crushing illegal online distribution of their manga, explicitly targeting scanlation.

The alliance comprises a coalition of 36 Japanese publishers, the Digital Comic Association, with major US manga publishers such as Viz, Tokyopop and Yen Press joining them.

The group cites the rise of “scanlation aggregator” sites as the major impetus, charging that non-commcercial scanlation has been transformed into a major money making enterprise by unscrupulous companies with no respect for copyright or the livelihoods of publishers and mangaka.

Thirty sites are said to have been shortlisted for action, with the coalition threatening to set the FBI on sites which do not relent and respect its copyrights.

The publishing boss at Yen Press, the embarrassing company which removed Horo from the covers of its Spice & Wolf books, predictably claims scanlation is the cause of all the industry’s woes:

These sites are run as businesses and include direct scans of licensed English-language manga editions. Some even include our copyright notices. We don’t want to have to do this but publishers are now focused on this problem.”

Whilst he may be grossly oversimplifying for PR purposes, most such sites are run on a purely commercial basis, and are funded by advertising whilst masquerading as “community” sites – the annual running costs of such sites will be in the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, well beyond the scope of an informal enterprise.

One major anime/manga piracy network is actually run by a Chinese company (whose corporate site was deleted very recently…) behind the scenes, dispelling any notions of legal action by publishers as somehow being an attack on “fans” – rather it is an attempt to eliminate shameless industrial scale piracy and parasitism.

Although an understandable and perfectly reasonable response, the fact that manga publishers have failed to couple an attack on piracy sites with efforts towards the provision of a viable legal alternative for manga fans whose primary means of manga consumption is the Internet is a rather glaring omission.

Indeed, it is rather telling that in the 5 years since its inception Japan’s Digital Comic Association appears to have done nothing to seriously promote online distribution, and in fact looks to have spent more time fretting about copyright infringement than actually promoting digital comics.

Paper publishers are evidently desperate to ignore the technological disruption the Internet imposes on their centuries old business model, but it should be clear now that digital distribution is not going to go away, and the longer publishers refuse to acknowledge there being any alternative to paper manga sales, the more damage they will ultimately do to their industry as technological change leaves them behind.

• First I agree with many at the point of small series, and the more special ones, wouldn’t be know outside Japan, if not for the scanlaters.

Second I don’t live in a not english-speaking countries, so some (if not most) of the 10 series there’s translated to my nativ language, is partially or completely translated from english, which gives some wery weird sentences or phrases sometime, a problem but not a big one.

Thirdly, yes scanlaters is responsible for the large interest in manga and anime, and the profit it leads with it.

Fourthly I don’t know about quality of the translation, I don’t understand Japaness.

I’ll end saying that I read/watch those which I can’t get from a puplisher, I get from scanlaters, but I still have most of the last 5 years income in manga or anime stading on the bookshelf.

• If only mangas would be available “worldwide” and if only these titles would be sold at a cheaper price, there wouldn’t be any need for scanlations.
    Sheesh. Are they even thinking?
    In my own opinion, most of the manga titles were known through these scanlations.
    *Sigh*
    If they are really against scanlations, they better provide the audiences an alternative. An AFFORDABLE alternative.

• Anonymous says:

Yet another stupid old business model. Evolve, adept, dominate, win. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Without online mediums manga wouldn’t have this kind of exposure dumbass. Didn’t learn shit from the music industry. These fuckers would want us buying old recycle paper comic books from 1920 if they could. Scanlators should start making business deals with the japanese publishers and fuck off these usa crap publishers. Can’t compete, don’t care about otaku, only in it for the money, get the fuck out.

• Anonymous says:

this is all ok from the point of view of publishers but what about those of us in whose country the word ‘manga’ does not even exist.
    I’m in india and i don’t see mangas entering the market anytime soon. SO where will i get mangas if not online.

• I agree.
      These publishers out there do not have any considerations for the regions who do not have any existing shops where we could actually purchase manga titles. Especially the ongoing ones.

• 2DGIRLSONLY says:

I think that SCANLATORS RULE since they provide Manga thats not published by the crappy publishers in North America..and up dates yes. also as OTAKU we were made OTAKU by scanlators and that i buy more merchandise than reading the manga..i.e. MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM ALL SERIES also Naruto Hayate and ALOT MORE, i buy so much crap from Bandai, i can buy a house with it..like 13 years of being OTAKU..13 years of merchandise..im 18 ROFL thats a hell load of money there eh? 5 bookshelves of Related goods and books plus 5 boxloads of em

• Anonymous says:

As long as they don’t go after hentai doujinshi, I don’t really care. It is known that hentai doujinshi artists are more than happy to sell their uber-collectible paper comics at Comiket; they also don’t work with big publishing houses, and they only print small numbers – this is why they’re uber-collectible.

These people get to sell their wares and also get worldwide recognition and access to markets other than Japan because people scanlate their stuff. Win-win situation.

On the other hand, anime is good money and so is popular manga. Such a coalition was bound to happen.

• Stupid coalition good thing I don’t live near any of their offices.. they would probably find their tires flattened, ect.. I hate them.. if they didn’t RIP us off by charging $10 for a single manga volume scanlations wouldn’t be such a bother to them. Because we all like originals sitting on the shelf but they rip us off.. charge ridiculous cost for a single manga and same for anime.

• Anonymous says:

Well. Good luck with that. They can go the way of RIAA, MPAA, Ubisoft and co. – they all lost money by being litigious and annoying over blaming low demand for their bad, inefficient work at publishing.

Many people are willing to boycot such publishers.

Conversely, people are also willing to support artists and publishers who do a good job. How about an artist(s) + scanlation team + payment provider in a pay-as-much-as-you want or a sale/subscription of new releases with old releases for free -model for foreign releases?

You know, that way a release would actually be available everywhere, not just in the US or France, and immediately, rather than 2+ years late, and with decent quality, rather than in the form of a poorly edited, horribly translated version.

• Anonymous says:

You’d think that they’d have learned something from the music industry which has been going through the same thing for the past decade, but sadly they’re making the exact same mistake.

• Anonymous says:

This whole thing is bs. And it’s not that easy for everyone to buy manga online, because their country may have trade fucking restrictions on sites that do supply the manga they want. So basically, people like me who rely on scanlations because they wouldn’t be able to purchase the fucking manga online anyway cause none of the sites that they are able to order from have the damn manga and can’t buy elsewhere cause of trade fucking restrictions. I can’t even order from fucking ebay. So as usual, the “minority” is left completely forgotten and disregarded while the bigger guys go at it. Fuck em…….

I just wanna fucking finish pokemon special and read yaoi! *cries*

• Anonymous says:

Maybe if they released them quicker and more importantly, finished releasing series I wouldn’t need the scanlators. I brought every City Hunter, iD entity and Initial D manga but oh look, I can’t buy any more… Thank God onemanga are doing what the companies won’t do. And then they call me a pirate and try to shut the site… I pay for Crunchyroll so I can watch Bleach & Naruto (actually I got it for Gintama but that’s over for now), I’ve got a couple hundred manga and am more than happy to add to that tally, and will, once the ones I’m after come out. Hurry up and release Hunter X Hunter and Gintama faster dammit!

• Anonymous says:

Aah, fuck! These shit-for-brains bastards are pissing me the hell off. Maybe if they’d fucking improve the quality of their work people might not HAVE to turn to the net for manga. I’d rather continue killing my eyes than waste a single cent on their shitty work. If they actually succeed (doubtful) in shutting down scanlation sites & bringing a complete stop to the whole thing, I will stop buying and reading manga all together. Fuck them. The thousands of dollars I could throw away on their work; I’ll waste it on other shit.

• Anonymous says:

Scanlations is a case in which community-driven content has a better model and outcompetes traditional publishing models. There is probably no way for people such as Viz or Yen Press to stop scanlations/outcompete them.

• I’m not going to deny I’ve downloaded scanlations(in fact I’m currently reading Blade of the Immortal), but I also look next to me and see over $1000 of manga sitting on my shelf. I know there are people who only read scanlations but what about us who willingly spend the money yet aren’t rich so we can’t buy everything? I suppose you could say, “than wait”. If I wait, I forget about it. So they wouldn’t get my money either way. However, if it’s something I like I’ll buy it.

I definitely prefer physical media over digital especially when it comes to manga, artbooks, movies, anime, ect. In the case of anime I will only buy it on blu-ray with a proper Japanese language track. It’s a requirement I have before buying. If it doesn’t meet that requirement I don’t buy it, plain and simple. Same can be said about manga. I’ve been impressed with Del-Ray’s handling of Negima! so I buy it. It’s a physical copy plus they give me a valid reason to spend my money on it. Handle it right and people will buy it. There are far too much manga, anime, and film that get brought over and hacked to pieces because the company just doesn’t care. Put out a quality product and people will buy it. There’s always a market there despite how many people download something illegally because chances are those people weren’t going to buy it anyway.

• Anonymous says:

I hope that some of the publishers do see this article so they can see exactly what they’re doing wrong with their industry.

First of all, Tokyopop sucks and is pretty muched fubared. The CEO is more interested in promoting his own manga based on famous slut courtney love than anything else. Not to mention rather than get some decent japanese manga, they focus on screwing american artists and making crappy crappy OEMs. But that being said they also abandoned a number of manga, provided an increasing shitty fansite while be it free, so is a bunch of other sites are and you can actually use those. And increased their prices up to 14.95 a book for which no one will buy.

Okay now that’s that is off my back, let me tell you why scanlations are so popular:

1) Speed- I can get manga almost instantly without having to wait 6 months for a chapter that can be translated in two days.

2) Number of manga- I don’t have to worry about retards fretting about if it’s loli or guro or whatever, I can get whatever the hell I want and I don’t have to have someone tell me what I want. I’m NOT a child, if I want to read fucking Komodo no Jikan I’ll READ IT. If I want to read POKEMON I’ll read it, and I don’t need to listen to some nerd douche bag who gives BJs to companies to make money. (Yes I’m talking about Anime News Network).

3) Space – I don’t have to have 10000 books collecting dust eternally they can all be on my computer and if i want to read them I can read them. This is why ebooks are about to become the next big thing.

4) It’s FREE. And I don’t have to pay 10/15/20/30 dollars a book and get screwed by greedy ass CEOs who fuck over their own employees to fatten their own wallets. I Suppose some people don’t mind getting fucked over, but I’m not one of those people.

Take this to heart manga publishing companies, you will not be able to stop this unless you make some changes to your marketing plans. You think that suing people is going to stop this thing? Look at what happened to Napster.. did that solve the problem of sharing songs over the internet? No, it’s still going on today. You can cut off the head, but another one will just grow back somewhere else. I hope they have fun wasting their money.

• Anonymous says:

God, if I read one more comment on how the translated versions are too expensive I’m going to vomit.
    Tankobon in Japan have different price points, but about from Y600 on the low end for a small format volume with about 180 pages, up to Y1000 for a larger format with over 200 pages.
    Japanese publisheres get back 60% of the cover price from the distributors. They also have unsold books returned. This means they can restock them and send them out in the future when demand picks up. They also print huge numbers, meaning significant printing discounts, and the shipping costs are lower since Japan is so small. Further, they pay minimal production costs for the collections since no translation (and new lettering) is needed.
    American publishers get 40% of the cover price and their remainders are trashed by the bookstores.
    And yet American manga run about Y1100 at current exchange rates. It seems to me they’re doing a pretty good job of holding the price down considering the economic problems they face.

• Anonymous says:

Once again, the fans assume they know more about the business of selling manga than large, and in some cases, multi-national publishing companies.
    Manga on line has been tried here and in Japan. It has failed in both places, for obvious reasons–once the company has kindly translated and placed nice crisp scans on-line, it just saves the pirates time as they download those onto their sites.
    And the howling of fans about how they want their manga fast is ludicrous. Reality alert–Japanese fans wait a year or so before they get their next volume of whatever, Gantz, say. The newsstand distribution system in America makes it IMPOSSIBLE to sell manga like Jump for a quick fix.
    And the fans say they want it cheap. Well, adjusting for the fact that American publishers get 40% of cover, and Japanese publishers get 60% of cover, the American books are cheaper than the Japanese ones.
    In my opinion, there is no solution to this problem. The fans want their manga super-fast, at zero cost, and quality is not a big concern. This is obviously not an acceptable business model for a publisher. This means the publishers will simply have to sell as many books as they can to the fans who are not scanslation junkies and hope for the best.
    Sadly, the value of anything that can be digitized is zero.

• Anonymous says:

> Manga on line has been tried here and in Japan

Point taken.

> Reality alert–Japanese fans wait a year or so before they get their next volume of whatever, Gantz, say.

And why should the rest of the World wait yet another year after this?

> The newsstand distribution system in America makes it IMPOSSIBLE to sell manga like Jump for a quick fix.

Not my problem. They’re whining against a working solution that exists, and plan to fight it. I feel fully entitled to call them assholes and I think the law is supposed to be on the functional-driven side here.
      (Actually no. I can accept the only-by-volumes publishing policy, and I can accept a year’s delay. I can accept the current price. Business is complicated after all. Still there are other problems with official publishing. If it is not possible to make a good work officially publish manga out of Japan, then I thank them for having demonstrated this, now can they please stop annoying the working solutions.)

> And the fans say they want it cheap.

Point taken.

• Anonymous says:

Which one would you prefer?

Option 1:
    Cost: Free
    Delay from Japanese version: Days
    Chance of English translation being canceled while the series goes on in Japan: Variable, depending on popularity. Generally quite low unless it is a niche series.
    Chance of series being canceled before end in Japan: High

vs

Option 2:
    Cost: High price per volume. Longer series with many volumes can be EXTREMELY expensive.
    Delay from Japanese version: Months to years
    Chance of English translation being canceled while the series goes on in Japan: High unless it is one of the top few most popular manga series.
    Chance of series being canceled before end in Japan: High

I want to encourage the production of more quality manga as much as the next person, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why so many people pick option 1 instead of option 2. While both options have a high chance of you ending up not being able to read the fully story, the chance is much higher in option 2 and if you get screwed by your favorite manga being canceled before the end, you aren’t out any money with option 1.

I have 10 volumes of a manga series i bought sitting on my shelf where the English publisher decided to stop translating it (when it is finished in Japan) and subbers haven’t picked it up because it had an English publisher. Every time i look at them, i don’t feel bad at all for reading manga online.

• So what, this attempt will eliminate garbage sites like onemanga and mangafox. If people are too lazy to go look for the scanlation website, then just go buy the damn manga, or go without. Things will be much better when scanlators go underground.

• Anonymous says:

If anything, this will just piss people enough to make them pirate MORE manga.

I honestly can’t wait for mangaka to team up with scanlators, and publish their own digital stuff.. I’d feel like I’m paying the person who made the manga.

Moreover, if ad-driven sites are actually making money off this, why can’t the publishers steal that as their business model? Talk about braindead.

• Anonymous says:

The mangaka will never team up with a bunch of unprofessional scanlators in order to have their work hacked out and distributed free of charge. Grab a brain! The mangaka in Japan have already released numerous statements begging people to stop reading their work online.
      And you have inadvertently stumbled onto one of the major reasons why scanlation is so bad–you are ripping off the very artists you profess to love. All the excuses in the world cannot change that.
      As for the scanlation pirate sites making money…sure, they make money. They get their material for FREE. How about they pay the mangaka ten cents per download? Whoops, there goes the profit.
      Every fan defending scanlation needs to admit it–they just want their manga free of charge. The rest of their whining is just defensive excuse-making.

• Anonymous says:

Some manga isn’t available here, so scanlation is the only real option (I guess you could claim one should learn Japanese and import, but I don’t see this as reasonable) to read the manga. Maybe it is still wrong to steal it, but the sentiment of wanting manga is quite different than the sentiment of wanting it free of charge.

• Anonymous says:

>! The mangaka in Japan have already released numerous statements begging people to stop reading their work online.

For free, dumbass.

Wait, reading the rest of this wide-eyed ignorance, I’m going to have to call troll.

• Anonymous says:

all I have to say is… “Let go all the censorship in your fucking manga distributions, and we’ll buy them for sure”. Fuck off!!

Really, who’s gonna buy a manga which has been censored when the characters in it only wears a fucking swimsuits/bikini or in a bathing scenes. Fuck off those publishers.

• Anonymous says:

When I was in Japan, I bought 7 volumes of Saikano for about $7.50 US used ($30 new). In the US, I could have bought them for about $35 used ($70 new). Tell me: what about manga makes one want to pay $10 for about an hour of reading? That’s simply ridiculous. There are a bunch of US children who sit down in the manga aisle of B&N and just read.

Digital downloads aside, the price is just too high.

• Anonymous says:

I’m not a dumb teenager anymore. I don’t go out buying a manga because the front cover has some rad action scene on the front, or a scantily clad buxom babe.

I wasted enough money when I was younger buying manga that amounted to crap. I want to make sure what I’m buying is worth it if I do. Reading it online is the best way to do this. Wouldn’t have bought all of Death Note had I not read it online. The worst thing is when you start buying a series, only to find out it goes down the drain at a certain point. Then it’s not even worth having anymore. Or if the creator decides to put the series on an eternal hiatus, or it gets canceled. More wasted money.

Plus, I prefer it if they sell manga in a collection bundle, rather than paying premium for each volume. Some long running series can be difficult and expensive to collect. I got lucky finding a Death Note collection with all 13 volumes.

Point is, if I can’t preview a series before I buy it, then I’m not going to buy it. There’s plenty of other products in the world I can put my money towards.

• Anonymous says:

Oh capitalism, you never cease to amaze me.
    Money > People.
    In the end, it’s all about money. They don’t give a rat’s ass about the people.

Hell, if it was up to me, I’d stop publishing manga overseas, and just let the scanlators do their job.
    I mean, if you can’t license a product decently, then don’t even try. It’s like paying 10$ to produce something, and get only 5$ when it sells. It’s not worth it. Why? Because they can’t bother to do a decent job.
    This is why the world would be a much better place without currency. At least society wouldn’t be so divided. But that’s another story.

• Anonymous says:

how lame so they make a few less bucks and start crying now creating a war against freedom and free will im glad for scanlations becouse here in the netherlands the only reading they have is 50 years behind the rest of the world those company’s need to hire scanlaters they at least get the job done and fast and good or those company’s need to close down since they are managed by little kids.
    come on using the fbi for something that dumb no wonder crime rates rises they are to busy looking for manga scanlaters.

• Anonymous says:

Stopped buying because there were few new titles coming out that I had any interest in. Titles that I had been purchasing were trickling down to one release a year, IF that. New titles that I might be interested in have almost zero chance of being released overseas.

So then. dismal sales are because I don’t buy into repetitive bullshit aimed at children?
    Fuck. You.

That is all.

• Anonymous says:

Ok, now in the country, where bears roam on the streets, playing balalaykas, there are only ten-twenty mangas to buy legally.
    And these manga are years late. Ranma 1/2 or Fushigi Yuugi, anyone?

• Anonymous says:

“Go back 2 years and track these sites and you’ll find an inverse relationship between the rise of traffic on these scanlation sites and the decline in U.S. manga sales.”

Go back 10 years and track thse sites and you find a direct relationship between the rise of traffic on these scanslation sites and the rise in U.S. manga sales.

If it weren’t for scanslations, your U.S. manga sales would never have risen at all, the only reason the western anime and manga market is as big as it (still) is today is because fansubbers and scanslators caused the anime and manga boom by releasing stuff fast and easily accessible.

Now if you, the companies, can’t offer a superior product that your customers can justify buying, that’s your problem, and if you don’t fix it you will die, no matter if you manage to stop piracy or not.

• I must confess, I have a soft spot for anime and manga.

But shit, they act like this is a new problem. Welcome to the 21st century.

If it can be made digital, it will be.

In the real world, all you can sell, is what you can get sold to people that won't stab you in the back over it.

Hey' I'd loooooooove to have a retailer that could reliably, and regularly get in ALL the series, and not be just sponsoring a 'see we have manga' shelf. Of course, I live in a small town. Not next to a Chapters.

I have to special order in my models too. All of my games are easier to buy online. Maybe if the retailers had more online savvy. Just a thought.

Either way, teens are horrendously cheap cunts. Always crying about lack of funds. They bitch about games too 🙂

• Anonymous says:

People would stop downloading if we didn’t have to buy like 50 damn books. Crap like bleach just never ends damnit and Aizen is annoying as hell now. Fucking hate know it all god like bad guys.

• Anonymous says:

Pretty much scanlations are at certain places on the internet. And piracy doesn’t go down that easy, especially when more ways are found to get under or over the obstacles that are placed in front of them. We know that it’s easy to just to a manga online site and read something, but it’s also easy to take our money and buy a book. Furthermore, several mangas already been published and released in the US, so if anything that happens to manga sites if they somehow go down, if people still support the illustrators and publishers by buying their book every volume so far, then they are fine, they can read their manga anytime while they’re on the shelves. However some manga scanlated in english doens’t always end up released in the US. You can find a lot of manga that’s been translated into english and you won’t find some of these mangas anywhere in the US, especially some hentai.

For every new thing that’s on the rise, there’s also going to be somebody out there who will dare to obtain it the easy way and have other people use their way to so they won’t have to go pay money for it. Then again, in case of mangas, we’ve been told various times that we have to support our manga by buying it, and i’ve done that so far for my favorite mangas though my collection isn’t complete.

• Anonymous says:

They can bitch and moan all they want and get nothing done OR they can reduce the price and start translating and publishing everything manga in america without editing and censoring it beyond all reason. Until thy do that, internet ahoy.

• Anonymous says:

let me tell you why people prefer the internet for their manga needs:

first better translations

second, no censoring

third, we dont have to wait 3 or 6 months for other chapters to be released

and by the way most people that read it online are people that cant get manga on their countrys, or at least manga they want to read, and i know im not gonna import and pay a fortune just for a couple of chapters

• Anonymous says:

You forgot one case in point. That you have to pray to mecha that the one “real” bookstore (not wal-mart or target)near you has the manga in which you seek. If not hope they can order it. If not, get it off the interwebz by purchasing it for 10 dollars + 5 dollars or more for shipping. Fuck that.

It’s not the notion that that ‘lolz I doesn’t has to pay for n e thingz hurdur.’ It’s all about availability and quality. I mean come on. Are you really gonna spend MORE money for a LESS quality product that came out 6 months – 2 years after original release; with any cultural references replaced with half-assed substitute jokes because they think they can convince us it didn’t originally come from japan. I’m not against spending money. But I am against getting trolled by a fucking corporation.

• Anonymous says:

I entirely stopped buying manga and anime for 3 reasons: A) Ridiculous overpricing. B) Horrendous wait times. It should never take 2-3 months to release a single volume. It takes a scanlation group a day to get up a single chapter hot off the presses. I want to read the newest Bleach as it is released, not half a decade later. C) Several series eithe rnever make it stateside or get neutered in the process. I don’t want my profanity, sex, and violence omitted from my shonen manga. And I want loli fan service. You can’t get a series like Kodomo no Jikan in the Us outside of piracy.

If I lost my online sites for manga and anime, I would entirely just not bother with it. It’s not like either industry is putting out the kind of quality they were back in the day.

• Anonymous says:

lets not forget Gene Simmons kid for plagiarism (obviosly traced then tried to sell it off as original, then even gave a poor excuse saying he didn’t know what magngo or simular was, well if you knew the word mango then you knew that it was manga)

the companies have started a war which there ass’s can’t cash, there’s always other publishers who will buy the rights to sell the mangas

• Anonymous says:

I try to buy most of my manga here in the USA, but if I can’t get it…like lets say a said company dropped the title, then I have to read scan’s.

IF it wasn’t so expensive, I would love to by more manga, then read scans.

• Anonymous says:

I love that (illustrated) pirate’s chest o’ booty!

As to the rest, the publishers don’t want to change, and they don’t want the business environment to change (“We fear and hate change”), so they are attempting to use force of law to stop the effects of change.

Yet the tidewaters of the ocean continue to advance, swirling around the publishers’ ankles, and indifferent to any commands that they stop.

• Anonymous says:

>> Go back 2 years and track these sites and you’ll find an inverse relationship between the rise of traffic on these scanlation sites and the decline in U.S. manga sales.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

• Anonymous says:

Wow half of the comments on this tell me that a lot of you were too retarded to notice that they’re trying to stop scan sites that are making a PROFIT from this, they pretty much know that they won’t be able to put a stop to piracy, but can and should stop people from fucking making money from it.

• “inverse relationship”

I did my own research into titles that interest me and found no relationship between said sites and the sales publishers claim to have lost. How do I know this? They don’t sell translated copies in my country.

By all means go after commercial pirates but the second you start going after the little fish I’ll have to ponder your motives. Make your stuff easily available online and you might get some sales.

• Anonymous says:

Maybe they should use their resources and ideas on digital distribution instead of BLAME BLAME BLAME.

Look at Steam and crunchyroll, they’re actually doing new things against piracy for video games and anime respectively. What’s the stop them from making an OFFICIAL online manga reading site?

• Anonymous says:

maybe if these people didnt also censor the manga we would be wiling to buy them. negima they remove bath scenes even though they dont show real nudity/ the langauge also i of course dont know japanese but when they cuss they publishers need to use english that best fit even if it’s fuck or bitch

• Anonymous says:

Yeah, fuck the American publishers. They give no support and no recourse to fans who WANT the product.

I’m missing 3 volumes of GTO. Do you think I can find them from ANY bookstore? I’ve tried dozens beyond Amazon and none of them can ever get stock on a series published only a few years ago. How many YEARS will it take to finish publishing to the current Japanese distro of Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei?

• PrinceHeir says:

i agree the price of manga seem to steep it’s supposed to be lower than $10 cause i see some manga’s being sell at $15 starting point. yeah the idea of publishing it online would be better choice. no need to pay for paper. convenient being able to put to your psp’s or ipod’s. you can always have a back up if you happen to delete it or lost. can provide many different languages either japanese or english etc… the only con is there are still alot of people who want their things physically even me when i buy games i always go for the physical one as much as possible and the second one is that not everyone in the industry is willing to publish past manga’s(even though fansubbers already did it) even in the anime industry where the hell is my blu ray death note?

• Anonymous says:

Screw the publishers, especially the US ones. They’re nothing but thieves. I bought a Yen Press Korean manhwa for $11 + tax, and I look under the flap and there is a thank you from the author saying that for buying it he got a whopping $0.30. Screw that, let me donate to the author directly and download scanlations. At least the author would make more money that way.

• Anonymous says:

Hi, welcome to the world of book publishing.

Authors don’t make shit. Doesn’t matter what type of book it is, they make penny’s per copy at times. Very few go on to be rich or famous.

• PrinceHeir says:

agree ^^ i would definitely want to give the money for the hardworking people who did the actual work not some random publisher who does their job poorly. online scans are great. you can have a backup of if,multiple languages jap or eng. you can put it either on your psp or ipod’s. but the cons is probably the one’s who prefer physical media(like me) and not all of the people are willing to put past manga’s(even though fansubbers have been doing it for years)

• a manga artist, putting there work online, pushing 1chapter a week, and getting 1$ donation a chapter from fans. (american price of manga 10$ donating directly, cheaper in the long run easily.

lets see here.

detective conan, i know has sold 100mill volumes, with lets say 9 chapters a volume.

that would be 900,000,000$
        lets say server costs got to be around 100mill,
        thats still 800,000,000$

im willing to bet he hasnt 1/10 of that

• Smiling Jack says:

Maybe if the American publishers got off their asses and did like what VIZ is doing with Kyoukai no Rinne and releasing the chapters parallel with the Japanese release of the chapters and not trying to Americanize things in the manga’s that are clearly not American and not trying to put their own little “creative spin” on things like attack or ability names then maybe, just maybe there wouldn’t be a need for scanlations. Also, run on sentence.

• maybe if there was an online service that let me pick and choose what i am subscribed to and get the manga chapters within 2 days for 20cents, maybe they wouldn’t exist either. but fuck knows that will never happen

• Anonymous says:

“…and the decline in U.S. manga sales.”
    did you ever think that’s because manga in japan is *105yen ($1.00) and $12.00 in the US,
    Fucking retards.

*depending on what you buy, its between 105-500yen

• i have seen as low as 125 (realy old) to 10$ (the most obscure hentai)

the general happy zone there right now is 250-350 yen. for less popular its at most 5$ and it there is content that drives people away, its 7$ and the 8-10 range is reserved for hentai alone.

here its common to see a manga hit the 15-20$ mark.

• Well it seems after all these years those publishers only know how to put blame on others without trying to see what the source of problem that make fans resort people into using scanlation.

• Anonymous says:

I personally cannot stand reading shit on the computer, it’s about as unwieldy and annoying as it gets. Paper is far superior. I don’t really have a problem with scanlations myself but I suppose it makes sense that publishers want to protect their intellectual property.

However there is an alternative; why not release official versions of the manga online? I believe Artefact basically mentioned something like it in the article.

Also I’m sure about 85% of the people who claim that the official translations suck probably do not even know Japanese and have no leg to stand on. It’s cute really but it’s starting to piss me off at how many of these people there are now. A large percentage of it is completely baseless.

• Piracy is the sole or primary blame of low sales? Don’t make us laugh, how about looking at the current economy; the reason we don’t buy is because THERE’S NO MONEY to spend on hobbies.

Also, instead of whining how about putting better quality manga or reasonable prices out in the streets? More than once I was repulsed by the greed of these companies, charging 10-15 dollars for recycled paper, ink that sticks to your fingers, lazy typesetting, censorship (text and/or drawings) and poor translations.

• Anonymous says:

Gee, what ELSE has been going on for the last two(ish) years?

It couldn’t POSSIBLY be that people are spending less on anime and manga because the economy is shit, could it? Not even when the domestic DVD and comics markets, and other hobbies, have experienced similar dips in sales (almost identical percentages, even)? No. It just COULDN’T be THAT.

You can drive a damn TRUCK through their argument.

They may be going after thinly-veiled commercial operations NOW, but the question is whether it will stop there. After all, the anime industry has already used the same shoddy argument in its war on torrents.

• Anonymous says:

Killing of those sites will inevitably ruin a community that is based near solely on a internet community with a shared interest.

where and how are we to discuss and comment if japan releases sth, it takes a year to arrive in NA (if at all) and then another year to reach europe. things like kaichou wa maid-sama won’t be release here or if it will be then where are the buyers if you can’t inform yourself ybout it beforehand. Japan produced too much already, the bubble burst. By killing off the best ads a series can have, they will futher decrease the interest of the young and the fans won’t spend money on stuff they don’t know.

and if they really kill anime pages:
    Right now the only anime that are prodcasted here in germany are the ongoing staples: pokemon from 12-13 o’clock, then censored childish Naruto and ygo5d till 14.30; another prodcaster has One Piece and bakugan and those 5 series are all that are left. there was a time where you could watch cartoons and anime around the clock on at least 2 procasters. Now imagine what happens when they plug out the internet. how shall anyone sell anything over here with nothing but children series and some official internet trailers?
    besides we are really late as well. Naruto (Manga) started 2 years later than in japan, the anime was more than 4 years late. OP manga was also only released after the forth year in JP. Consider talking with us about ENEL as the new major villian. ok they finished thriller bark already but still, you get what i mean. NGEs first prodcast was in 2001 as 4 night movies running from 0-4am. It takes too much time to get series started over here and nothing other than children series will be published if the prodcasting status quo remains. Killing of the net will severly hurt a fan base that will have to live with no food for at least a year. And don’t think that we will blindly buy those new shiny silly dumb anime, cause we will read about them right here.

• Anonymous says:

Why cant publishers hire ppl to scanlate some manga and make it legal and charge us like 2-3 dollars amonth for unlimted read time?

Make a coalition but a coalition to give people a legal chance. Cuz no offense most of the translators online specify that they like the manga and would ask the people to buy said manga or they would stop if the manga is ever distributed in NA.

I buy one piece and still read it online. I would not want to buy naruto, bleach, reborn, claymore, etc as i am tight on money but if they charged me lets say 3-5 dollars to read an unlimited amount in a legit site.

Kinda like a public library. pay for membership and give unlimited amounts.

Stopgiving us BS about it takes a long process to obtain the source material and than start translating the series if these companies really are a coalition than just make each of these manga properties a universal copyright.

Look at europe they got the idea down with the euro.

Give the consumers a choice. For one I would not buy manga i deem not worth the physical copy but I would gladly read them online at a price from a legit site.

I mean the internet should not be seen as the enemy but more as an ally.

Think about it if this “coalition” started chargin manga at a legit site which features HD scans. no viruses. maybe some acceptable ads and bam. their would be no reason for translators and scanlators.

• Anonymous says:

cmon some mange is behind 1-3 years ( US release )
    i can not wait for so long :p

i buy mine first exemplare of manga’s after checking them online so good one i will try buy them.
    if scan translation was not online i was never started reading them ??

• What would be neat is an industry in which fan scanlators get manga translated almost instantly, upload them to an aggregate site which charges people to view them, then 100% of the profits go to the Japanese publishing company to be distributed.

Too bad people on both sides are too pig-headed and selfish.

• Anonymous says:

Then let me ask them this: How else am I supposed to get titles that US publishers are too fucking chicken to release? No, I’m sorry, I will continue to download scanlated titles that are NOT available for local release.

• That is one of the reasons why scanlations won’t go away.

How many American manga readers are willing to risk the possibility of serving jail time, or having their reputations destroyed by a crusading prosecutor, just for having a manga shipped to their home?

But given enough time, all things change.

• Thats why they will never win this war, US publishers are too scared to print most of the manga, because of this moralist crusade thats been demonizing sex for the past 2000 years (thanks religion, feminists, general ignorant sheep people >.>). I bet this bullshit isn’t even aimed at the free scanlators, its the douches that have been charging to read thats generating all the flak.

• Anonymous says:

“Go back 2 years and track these sites and you’ll find an inverse relationship between the rise of traffic on these scanlation sites and the decline in U.S. manga sales”

Well lets see thats when the economy started to take a dive so whats the first thing that goes when money gets tight the things you don’t have to have. But you don’t want to get behind on whatever series your reading just because your money is a bit tighter now and can’t afford to blow $10-12 on a single volume now. And since they refuse to provide an online alternative. Then you go with the only option you have scanlations sites and add on the fact that a huge amount of these manga’s will never see the light of day outside of japan anyways.

Thus once again its find a site that has something you want to read because thats the only way you’ll ever get to read it for a lot of titles.

But instead of seeing how much profit online manga could bring them they fall back to the same old shit of piracy is killing us because we can’t accept something new for a business model we have to keep the status quo no matter the cost.

But that won’t work any longer the manga industry as a whole in Japan and the World has two choices embrace the concept of online manga or run themselves into the ground and die all while holding onto their old business model with all their might all the way to their graves.

• Anonymous says:

When and if they end scandation, I wonder what will be next, spoilers?
    I mean, I buy every tome from any scandation I read, because I only read what I like… The only reason I read scandations is because of the delay for the manga to arrive here. I mean, to wait more than 3 month for the 54 tome of One Piece to come out is ridiculous, specially when tome 58 is out in Japan from some time now. I do realize that in some country the situation is even worse.
    What is even more freakish is this only happens because the publishing houses don’t want to overflow the market with different manga and so maximize their profit.

• Anonymous says:

In the case of Tokyopop, I would have willingly bought all 25 volumes of GTO if they were still publishing it. Plus, there are manga in Japan that were never released in America that I really want to read. Pirate sites are all I can really turn to.

• Anonymous says:

hm… isn’t there a confusion in the usage of the term “scanlation” (and all simillar).

a scanlation is what we think of as a raw japanese manga that has been cleaned translated and typeset by fans. scanlation groups don’t charge for their work. the fact that they have a donation function is mostly because of server costs or raw acquisition and it is optional (any other reason would be ridiculous and those who would actually donate without a good reason must be a bit slow in their heads).

scanlation groups usually comply with direct demands from publishers without making a fuss about it. and let’s not forget the quick action taken by the sites that were hosting raws, when the publishers asked for it to be stopped (because that really was getting in the way of their sales)

now, take the statement of the publishing boss at Yen Press. does he really mean scanlation groups, because i’m pretty sure there’s no big money to be earned there and they all spend countless hours to do the needed work? maybe he’s not using the correct term. maybe he’s referring to other sites that host a lot of these scanlations and charge all sorts of costs for it, and that’s a thing that scanlation groups can’t stop (because i’m sure it has been tried)

oh..and the chance of you getting to read an unlicensed manga, that’s older or not interesting for foreign publishers, is really low otherwise 🙂

• Anonymous says:

Pirates will never admit what they are doing hurts the industry.

The publishers should simply take their money and go into some other business, like selling guns. At least they can then shoot people who tries to steal from them.

• in all honesty the American side of the industry can fail for all i care

they charge to much
      they dont bring what i want over
      they admit that they cant compete with scanalters in quality or speed (i forget if that was manga or anime thought)
      they make mistakes in translations and dont offer us a way to get better translations ( in the past, i dont know now)
      they dont bring most of what i want over, and anything that is big is only realy big in japan, making world wide sales almost irrelevant to if it continues or not, so if they dropped onepiece or naruto in english they would still go on, and we would still get translations, and all my smaller manga i like, never comes over so thats also unaffected.
      and finally, and this is a big one, i cant trust a company that sole purpose is to sell more books, if one book had fuck in the background, they are likely to edit that out and try to sell it to a lower demographic than leave it in and potentially miss sales. thet did this ALOT in the past, and i will never trust them for it.

• These are most the reasons why people don’t buy the manga thats liscensed. Why buy something thats 2-4 times the cost of the japanese original, and comes out sometimes years after the volume was originally released? The NA publishers are so stupid its beyond comprehension. I’d rather support the pirates in making good scanlations than fork out hundreds of dollars to some greedy bookstore (that is translated poorly, content edited, and moralized to the fucking bullshit NA standards).

• no, than it would be even worse. look at neir for proof. they would change shit to try to appeal to our need to macho everything.

but seriously, a Japanese company try to make a business in a country where word of mouth isn’t enough.

see, japan has want, 120 million people, in a land the size of California, word of mouth works wonders for manga and anime there. america is what, 2-3 times that population, in a land thats what, 15-30 times bigger than that? word of mouth does far less here than there.

“I can understand the prices since they pay all those random fees”

i can’t, they say its because they sell less issues that they need to make the price higher to compensate. while i understand that, i also cant understand making it high. im a manga fan, and i would buy it if the price was significantly cut but i cant justify paying a company 3-10 times the price of the Japanese release, an inferior quality, and changed, when there are fans who will translate it and put it out unchanged, and touched up.

one min, im going ot get a hard cover book i know sold less than 10000.

the cover is hard, its 300 pages, and its paper is at least 4X the manga paper in quality, i cant see through pages to whats on the back side, the kind isn’t sticking (its humid here manga ink sticks) and its older than my manga i bought, but the pages are almost the same color as when i bought it, and the book was 7$ apposed to manga 15$ and here is the big part. the book is a japanese in origin, and it was translated and brought over here. so its under the same circumstances as my manga. and it probably sold less than ANY of my manga.

so FUCK them, and there low quality products and overly expensive ones to boot.

and lets say this, how much would you sell the rights to publish a manga for? one that sells in the, lets say, 50000 range? 25000$… 100000$?

id say a good bet is that its sold for 25000$ with a % of the gross sales price.

the manga itself cant cost more than 1$ to make in the quality that we get, it just cant.

so at 10$ a manga, 1$ to make and lets ay 10% goes out, that is 2$ an issue and a 25k to buy rights that comes to 3125 copies to turn profit.lets assume that they sell it to stores for 8$ to turn profit there its 4166, thats it. i dont think they would bring a manga over if it sold less than 50k a volume in japan.

now after the 4166 copies are sold they are pretty much making a 6$ profit a volume.

in japan, they probably sink 5-8000$ into a mangaka before the first volume is released, i’m guessing. far more risk, but far less to recupe, and in america, the watter is already tested in japan, far less of a risk.

im going off track, but the point is, these companies are fucking us, and because we have an option, the scanlators, they are worries that there shit business practices are going to fuck with there sales.

• Pork Tenderloin says:

I wouldn’t say its if they did increase the quality of the paper and ink. But Other than that, I can understand the prices since they pay all those random fees. Now, if the Japanese pubs would start something in the US where they publish their own content themselves here, then we may have a fix for a lot of the quality issues and Americanizations.

• dont forget the sometimes piss poor quality of the ink, the paper, and having KEY things americanized.

personally when the manga has pop culture references, its arguable to substitute the American equivalent.

i dont like them doing that, but shy of giving a bio and some back story, i would never understand it.

but when they change a character or a sex of a character because they think gay is wrong, as in sailor moon (anime i know, but they handle manga too i believe), i can just never support the company.

and here is the thing. i have some manga that is a scan of american books, because im not paying 15$ for something that is piss poor quality and should only cost 2-3$, but that aside, and i only got them because when it was announced that they were picking the manga up, the scanlator had morals and stopped. a lesser group went ahead and put out 50kb gifs for pages, and than insult to injury, the american manga wasnt even half the quality of the scanlation. if the manga never got picked up, i would have a high quality scan, but no, i’m left with 2 piss poor substitutes.

and finaly, american manga you want me to buy manga, here is what you do.

1# dont print on paper that turns to shit in less than a year
          2# high quality printing
          3# give us a % of how much goes back to who deserves it
          4# if non of the above, slash the price to 1$ because you use worse paper and print worse than the shit you can get in 3rd world countries, and that isn’t even being sarcastic.

• Anonymous says:

Eh, well honestly I could never get into reading manga or comics on the computer so it’s not that big a deal to me, BUT, I do hope their efforts are only focused on getting licensed stuff removed. It would be gay to take down unlicensed stuff & H / doujinshi that americans have no other way of reading.

• Anonymous says:

I don’t mind if they start targeting sites with “VIP” status that requires monthly fees/donating to access something like downloading privileges/no ads type of sites that just take the work of others and host it and make money off of it.

But yes, in the US prices are ridiculous, especially when you consider number of volumes certain series have, and the fact that they produce it through volume, and quite slowly.. No way I’m waiting for something that came out months ago, and costs at least twice as much.

• If the manga industry wants me to stop visiting those sites then they need to put out better translations and charge more reasonable prices. I’m not saying that all fan-translations are better, however I don’t want to pay a ton of money for those shitty official translations.

Not to mention that most of the manga I read aren’t licensed in english so the only way I [i]can[/i] read them in english is with fan-translations. Plus, if I find a manga on those sites that uses the official translations then I won’t read that manga (since I have very little trust for the accuracy of official translations).

• Anonymous says:

When crap like the Initial D “westernisation” is peddled for the price it is, I’m not surprised people download them illegally. I’m not really a manga person; I’m more into anime – even so, with a manga tankobon being about £8 in the UK, compared to about 250Y or about £1.50 in Japan… I think people see where I’m going with this.

• Just admit you pirate all your manga. People that use the “fantranslations are more accurate” argument are completely retarded since they don’t really know. That whole thing was started by some retard on 4chan more than likely and people like you actually believe it since you are too ignorant to think otherwise.

• NakkiNyan says:

I can’t speak for manga but if it is even remotely like anime then yes I have sat here shocked listening and seeing 2 completely different statements watching a show on DVD. 1 official translation was so bad the story was changed because they decided it was just easier to guess what they were saying.

Quit being a fag, get your head out of your ass, and look at both sometime and then tell us how precise the translations are, it is appalling. Just because you don’t do your homework does not mean we haven’t…

• Anonymous says:

> People that use the “fantranslations are more accurate” argument are completely retarded since they don’t really know.

Actually it’s rather likely they would. You completely ruined whatever point you were trying to make.

• Anonymous says:

Wow. Blanket-statement much? Here’s a thought…maybe we’ve already gone through the bullshit of buying licensed shit? Del Rey is good at keeping it accurate. CMX is absolute shit. What they did to Air Gear and Tenjou Tenge was utter garbage. Not even going to waste words on Tokyopops initial releases. Supposedly CMX and TP have learned and now publish it as close to original form while still translated, as possible. However, its an issue of trust and fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Then they add shrink wrap so I can’t even sample the manga before buying? Nigga please. Not to take the troll bait, but it is rather you being ignorant here. Not us.

• Anonymous says:

Wow. Even Marvel comics started putting their products online almost a year ago.

These guys should really take advantage of the beginning of the online publishing industry before the print medium goes into cardiac arrest.

• Pork Tenderloin says:

I agree even though I like print more. But, there is the possibility that the Japanese pubs are the ones that are stopping American pubs from going digital since they have to get a license for each form of distribution. I wouldn’t mind having the manga anthology magazines on my iPad though since they take up so much space.

• Anonymous says:

Personally, I don’t care if the scanlation sites go down. If you really want it that bad, go straight to the scanlators.
    All this will do is get the people who don’t know how to google to start buying stuff.

• Anonymous says:

I actually prefer to read manga and books in paper format but the cost and uncalled for edits in English manga/light novels as well as the monstrous localization delay has made me turn my back on English licensed stuff. I do however buy japanese volumes of some series.

• Pork Tenderloin says:

I agree with somethings Kamanashi has said, but like everyone has said, it can’t be stopped and they should go more towards trying to please the customer. Digital distribution is starting to appear more with the recent announcement that Yen Press will be putting their Yen+ manga anthology magazine online, so the possibility of an iPad/iPhone version is there. It’s just that while many people say they would pay, there are still going to be more people who wont too. It’s all just one vicious circle in the end.

I for one am fine with the prices and form of distribution since I like reading physical material. But, there is still that portion that likes the digital distribution more. Seeing how those sites are so popular, it shows that there is some need for a legal way to distribute online.

People blame the American companies all the time for not going digital, but there is the slight chance that the Japanese companies are not allowing for a digital distribution license also. Though, that is just a theory. Either way, you can’t stop piracy, you can only slow it or just lower it slightly.

• The issue is the ease of piracy. P2P scanlation imposes a modest transaction cost to such manga. The “cost” associated with aggregator sites is much lower, making them pose a much greater problem.

And the very centralisation of such sites is an additional factor – this further reduces the cost. However, building and funding such huge sites takes a lot of resources, so it is unlikely they could spring up as fast as they take to establish at that level.

hahahahahaha

search engine!!!1111!!!onthousandeleven!!1111

ohgawd. I’m laughing my ass out!

If that’s the only way you find things on the internet, then you are no doubt a noob. The “pirate kings”, as you call it, don’t rely solely on search engines to acquire and share digital media. “Pirate kings” and leechers alike do not even require webpages to do their deeds.

Since you admit to be a noob, don’t comment on how a websites regrowth is necessary for piracy to continue.

Here’s an idea. Instead of asking me to understand how things work, why not reflect on how much you really understand, not just of the internet, but of piracy. Try to think beyond the technicalities of the internet, and focus on the other factors which can contribute to piracy. A website is but a tiny little spec in the world of piracy.

The point is, piracy will not be stopped, even without the internet, piracy will still continue (of course at a lower rate). Instead of exerting a futile effort of stopping it, they should think why people resort to piracy and try to counter it, or adapt it. The often reason which is pointed out anti-piracy groups, which is: “people want something free”, is not the only reason why people resort to piracy.

• Pyrolight says:

[quote]It didn’t take a week you moron. First they had to build up enough visitors to be able to be added to the index of a search engine, then they had to work up to the top. Apparently dumb fucks like you guys on Sankaku Complex think the internet is only the size of whatever hentai site you go to in order to fap. It’s a hell of a lot bigger than you retards seem to think. And vote me down all you want, I don’t give a shit.[/quote]

Good avatar rage monkey.

Anyway you are delusional. While I was joking with a week it would take about a month max for all the data to be uploaded again and for word of mouth to really start getting around about the new site.

I think your problem is that you vastly underestimate how many ISPs don’t give a rats ass and how quickly you can throw together a website.

Since all they can do atm is shut down a site (assuming the people don’t have good lawyers and tie the whole process up) it is easy to replace.

If they took the servers sure it would take longer if it was worth putting it back up. If you are willing to pay for it you can have server turnaround of 5-7 days. The ISP might or might not take longer.

Really are you that out of touch with reality that you think it is actually harder to get going again because the Internet is so big? As long as the data is safe somewhere it is quite easy (if expensive). If they get all the data, ya you are toast but that goes without saying.

• Oh yes, I’m a noob. That why some fat ass 15 year old is telling me how the Internet works even though something doesn’t appear in a search engine that fast. If you plan to argue, please understand how things work instead of insulting someone.

• Anonymous says:

Kamanashi, wow… just wow!

how noobish can you get? it seems like you just got connected to the internet. how sweet! your mommy just applied for an internet connection.

seriously, the

“But if another pops up, it will have to regrow.the current pirate kings didn’t get where they are in one day.”

is totally a fail comment.

When TT was taken down, how long did it actually take for JT to go up and be popular? There’s your fine example.

“regrowth” doesn’t take that long. Since people who built the old site, are most likely the ones who will build the new site.

• It didn’t take a week you moron. First they had to build up enough visitors to be able to be added to the index of a search engine, then they had to work up to the top. Apparently dumb fucks like you guys on Sankaku Complex think the internet is only the size of whatever hentai site you go to in order to fap. It’s a hell of a lot bigger than you retards seem to think. And vote me down all you want, I don’t give a shit.

No shit, bro.

Fucking Japanese publishing companies too comfortable with their paper publishing…

Instead of making it easy for consumers, they want consumers to bow down to THEIR convenience. We’re talking about adding, or completely revising, new ways for publication, with digital seems to be the way to go.

It might seem so costly, but they don’t want to get into account the enormous profits that can cover their early losses very quickly. Either that, or the upper echelons of the publishing corporations have their minds still stuck in the Stone Age.

I am never going to legitimize piracy, even for the poor third world countries. However, people are opportunists. Just as much as these bozos want people spending jewgold for them, people also would grab any shit they can with whatever means they have. This will continue to be a major battle between publishers who are too fucked up their ass to change their ways and consumers who pay for shit based on what they see is worth.

It’s high time mangakas start publishing their own shit. Though many still stick to completely traditional ways(not that it’s anything wrong), lots of mangas right now are chock-full of shooped effects(shading, coloring, etc) in which, 3/4 chances are they made it using pirated softwares themselves.

They’d save more and GAIN more in the long run by just setting up a server and charge for every download than printing it into hard copy. No middle-men, no need for corporate/political correctness, no bullshit. Just your work, your fans and their appreciation(cash) that goes straight to you.

• Above anon has a good idea. Much as fans do like to share, they also like to keep some shit to themself and would probably tell non-close friends to support the artist as they know they are directly responsible for supporting them.

I still do want to see paper publications though because it is easier on our eyes.

• kappuccinoo says:

its fine in Japan and places like Kino, but the price is terrible for US translated ones. i tried to support it but it got too expensive. i just learned to read and started buying japanese tanks from Kino.

• Anonymous says:

As soon as they start releasing english weekly magazines that release at the same time as the japanese counterpart, then I’ll stop reading scanlations.

Until then, they can fuck themselves.

• It’s one thing to charge for manga. I understand that.

But US prices are exorbitant. 12-15 dollars for a 5 buck manga in japan.

Can they really blame people for running to scanlations?

• I’d gladly pay the 10-15 bucks if I knew for sure they’d release a volume every month or so. But they ask you to pay those prices, and then smugly tell you to wait months upon months for one volume.
      Now they’re butthurt because people have an alternative to waiting months.

• psycholoner says:

The back of my Negima Vol.1 from DELREY says $10.95 USA, $16.95 Canadian. I’m Canadian, and I got taxed on this,so it ended up at $20 Canadian. This is the main reason why I stopped buying real copies.
      This was around 4-5 years ago. I don’t know what prices are now.

Now its too late, because I learned to read Japanese, and internet scans are faster.

• Anonymous says:

Yep. If these publishers want to cut down on piracy and move into the future, they should go to some online bookstore like Amazon or iBooks, put up a bunch of titles and charge $5-6.

That’s how you do it, son.

• Anonymous says:

I agree, Manga is actually cheap compared to a lot of things. However, the recession is making me cut back on everything – I don’t buy the games and manga like I used to. Furthermore, the manga I’m actually wanting to read isn’t getting brought over.

This is the big problem for me is that the stuff I like gets looked over or dropped. So what the hell am I supposed to do? I don’t like all this shounen action crap they always focus on, I prefer things like Hibiki’s Magic and Aventura. But what happens? They get me hooked then STOP BRINGING IT OVER.

Hey, manga companies. If you bring it over, I’LL BUY IT. I’d rather have a hard copy than plain data anyways! Not everyone likes Naruto and Bleach, you know!

• Anonymous says:

So wall street banks that have survived the great depression collapse, america is almost bankrupt, Greece and Iceland collapsed, Spain and a couple other countries are going to join them…and they blame their loss of a few % of sales on PIRACY?!?

The entire world economy is going down the ****ing drain and PIRACY is why they’re losing money? Not because fewer people actualy HAVE money!?

Give me a fucking break.

• Well, I for one have to disagree with mindlessly “fighting” against scanlation sites. The real answer would be publishing their content online, and allowing you to buy it.

I mean, scanlation sites get translated chapters in four-five days. And this includes getting the raws! I’m sure that if they were really up to it, they could release a version with other languages text in around 1 or 2 days, and scanlation wouldn’t really be needed.

• Anonymous says:

Yeah and it doesn’t help companies any when they stop printing out new books or updating any of the old ones. This is one of the reasons IMO why many turn to piracy. What will you do download the whole sailor moon manga or spend 200 to 400 (probably more)dollars for an OTP manga. Same for me I’m no way in hell gonna spend 68.00+ dollars on a single Evangelion Volume *COUGH* 10 *COUGH* when I can get it online.

What about companies that are dabbling in E-formated Manga? Another simpler way to share compared to scanning.

• I bet they mostly comprised of old geezers who doesnt know shit about teh internets, cuz it’s too complicated for them. They dont give two fucks about readers wishes.

Also, sites that charge money for “exclusive manga” or greater download speed, should be wiped out. Often they steal work from other scanlation groups that shares them for free, than charge for them.

And free, donation-based sources are never gonna disappear, as long as there are people who likes to invest their effor in their favorite hobby, and people who support them. Cheers goes for them.

I can see the Japanese part complaining. The US don’t have it. For example:

I found OMGoddess vol 29 4 years before I could buying physically because it was not available. In fact… You still cannot buy the latest one from Japan because of the US side stalling it.

• Anonymous says:

“It’s kinda sad seeing weabos complain about the “lack of quality” in translations, just because they’ve been so used to poor translations that they don’t even recognize a good one.

Instead they want their stories left halftranslated so that they can feel cool when they are “in the selected group” (aka weabos) that actually can stand lines like “Your nakama is coming to save you, we have a keikaku!” without cringing.”

0/10

• Anonymous says:

> I’m at a total loss of why people want honorifics in their translations though. As long as the translators appropriately manage to translate the general meaning and feel of the sentence.

Which is rarely possible, that’s why. Japanese looses a hell of a lot in translation. I *would* prefer honorifics to be kept, but I understand that’s my tastes and they’re far from a majority. I’m not anal about it. It’s just that “why do they want that?” => because *they* understand what you get with and what you get without, that’s why.

@Anon 13:04

The official translations tend to remove, add and change so much that it hardly seems like the same product sometimes. Sometimes characters end up with a totally different personality.

• Anonymous says:

If you want it with honourifics and all, then go learn Japanese since it’s part of the japanese language – not the english language. Damn weaboos.

Regardless, many manga keep honourifics anyway.

Also, again, why would they care if you can’t get their manga (illegally) for free?

• Anonymous says:

Look, when I read manga, I expect to read something about Kenshin-san and Yuri-chan doing some shit. Not find it Amerikanized into Archie and Bettie being politically correct and stuff.

Dropping honorifics, removing slang, santizing shit, amerikanizing foreign (damnit, broomstick was slang for german WWI grenades, didn’t ya read any history?) culture. F that. I’ll go back to reading scanlations.

• Anonymous says:

They might care less if people actually bought the manga they read/liked instead of reading it online as a replacement to buying.

Sure they don’t provide an online alternative, but that doesn’t change the fact that they (usually) get nothing out of the people distributing/reading their manga online of series they own the licenses to. If they think that making it harder to read online is going to increase their sales, then why not? ^^

Personally I’ve bought quite a few series I previously downloaded/read online – but I wouldn’t doubt that I would be part of a minority doing so after having already read the manga.

• Anonymous says:

And to add to that fact that many a time have I spent looking for some old manga to buy because I just discovered it and was finally able to get a job to purchase said manga, which to my dismay was on backorder or some other bullshit. If you can’t supply a product then don’t bitch about it when we do something about it.

• Anonymous says:

The manga are most likely put onto a computer at some point on the way to the printing presses, so it wouldn’t be a huge stretch to make them available for sale on the internet. The whole reluctance to adopt a digital distribution method baffles me completely.

It bugs me that american publishers will never catch up to all the series I’m reading. Either they will never bother doing a translation for them or, if they do, it would take a decade for them to catch up, if they ever do catch up. I want to support the mangaka, but I’m hesitant to buy reading material in a language I can’t read.

I seriously hate it when publishers edit manga for content; I prefer manga when it’s true to the authors’ intents. It’s very frustrating. I want to support the mangaka, but I don’t want to support the publisher when they butcher the mangaka’s works.

There are so many fundamental problems with how the manga and anime industry are handled, both domestically and abroad, it’s amazing it hasn’t collapsed already.

• This is most of what actually contributed to A LOT of my online manga reading. I got sick and tired of waiting a year for the next vol of a manga to come out.

Case in point: Do you have any idea how infuriating it was to wait for each Battle Angel Alita/Gunm release??

• a lolicon says:

[quote]”[i]We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile[/i]” – The Borg[/quote]

• Anonymous says:

you know i wouldn’t mind buying more manga, if they actually translated series instead of deciding what is and isn’t appropriate for American audiences according to them *cough Seven Seas cough*.

• Anonymous says:

I live in Ukraine. Few people bother actually selling manga here. There is some 10 manga titles one can buy from a store. And only one or two of them actually worth reading.
          So, where am i going to get my manga dose once they’ve closed down the scanlations?
          Long live the scanlators and scanlations!

• Anonymous says:

> heh i can read hirigana and katakana but kanji is a bitch.

That’s not the real problem. Kanjis can be looked up, and you tend to remember them over rereading them all the time.
          The difficulty is the language construct, the idioms, the puns, the mispronunciations. You need to learn Japanese for that (and practice a lot for the last two.)

• Anonymous says:

Well I live in Scotland, where decent manga is very thin on the ground. There’s only one place I can even get any of the Manga I like, and if I want to read a series that isn’t there, then I’m screwed.

And no way in hell I’m ordering it all online. Whenever I try to I get charged rather annoyingly expensive delivery costs. I get that it costs companies to post stuff and all, but if I’m trying to buy a small 4 volume series and the want for example £5 delivery EACH (which has happened). Plus the £6.99 cover price. FAR TOO EXPENSIVE. So buying online is not a real option.

• Anonymous says:

Just buy them in Japanese. I have 7 volumes of KnJ all sitting on my shelf, among quite a few other Japanese titles. If you can’t read them, then try to find scanlations of them. Or of course, learn Japanese. It’s cheaper to buy them in Japanese anyways.

• Anonymous says:

Is there perhaps a way to send these articles to these places so they can possibly get a dose of the sarcasm and have the chance to get their head out of their asses? I’m all for diminishing piracy, but yes, alternatives must exist for the demand, otherwise they’re just sore losers.