Xenoblade Ideal vs Actuality “It’s a Marathon Sim!”

xenoblade-package.jpg

Xenoblade, the much heralded Wii RPG so unrelated to the Xenogears series nobody can fail to mention the fact, has seen the release of actual gameplay footage which seems rather at odds with high tempo action displayed in the trailer.

Ideal:

This exciting trailer shows off some of the game’s characters at their finest, such as it is…

Actuality:

Comments range from “What part of this is seamless?” and “It’s a marathon sim, right?” to “They made the city pointlessly huge but neglected to put in any fast travel” and “That city is suffering from severe depopulation!”

In any case, it appears lofty expectations of the title have largely been shattered.

00:42 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

nnnnot sure I'm seeing where the problem is here.

game companies have been promising "seamless" games for years, they're always lying, so that should be no suprise... and it's kinda sad that there are apparently people who forget Rule Number One:
    Never Trust a Trailer.

Comment by Guumii
    01:55 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I like the fact that it's open world.

01:57 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don`t understand what is the purpose of criticize the game saying that it's is marathon sim. In all RPGs the player is running from the beggining to the end of the game....

I suppose the writer doesn't like Wii.

07:55 11/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, you noticed?

Haters gotta hate.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    01:50 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wished they had it for the Sony PS3/PSP

01:40 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The comment about it being a marathon simulator has a bit of truth to it, but otherwise this game seems fine.

Graphically, it's good enough. Certainly not a FF production, but last time I checked good graphics =/= good game. There are plenty of HD failures floating around (I'm sure I don't have to name the most recent example).

As long as the story is decent this should be a pretty cool game.

01:47 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No one ever said it had anything to do with Xenogears.

00:27 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

dudes no loading =D iam stunned it looks good, ok city a big but it isnt that much of a deal i kinda like to wander in nature i didnt get disapointed

23:45 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This reminds me of the gameplay on FF12. Vast fields and cities of what seems to be endless wandering... but this doesnt have load times! I wonder how you will build your character and the item systems and such. This games looks promising and more surprising is on the wii.

23:45 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You'd prefer corridors?

I'm guessing this is not typical gameplay but instead a technical demonstration of the environment. It's bloody nice how you can just walk out that big town straight into an even bigger forest and then look bag to see the place you were just in from a distance.

That jump right at the end showed was very impressive, showing it's not all just painted backgrounds and then you could quickly relocated via menus to save yourself a long walk.

I'm not the biggest JRPG fan anymore but it was a damn sight better looking than what I had to deal with in FXIII. I'll never get those hours back!!

23:47 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They couldn't even animate their faces properly.

Comment by Hyra911
    23:47 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Odd, did they just fast travel in a few last minute of the movie??? The combat seem a bit too noisy and boring but it's maybe better later. And I don't like the character design and game idea much so I guess I shall past this game, it have nice robot model though.

Comment by SpideyPHL
    00:09 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Funny how people keep finding excuses to talk shit about FFXIII even though this has nothing to do with it. If anything, this has more to do with FFXII, which the graphics look comparable to (and that's not a bad thing, FFXII was an amazing looking PS2 game). FFXII had a solution for the depopulated city that this game should probably have looked into though: a lot of people running around that you don't interact with, which is somewhat more realistic than talking to every single person in a city. The battle system has some potential as well, i really enjoyed Xenogears but the Xenosaga games put me to sleep with their combat system.

The only problem here is that it's a Wii game, and I can't think of any third party RPGs (or many third party games at all) for the Wii that have actually done all that well. It's kind of the catch-22 of JRPGs, to sell any at all they need to be on PS3, but the development cost of making a full fledged HD RPG is more than a lot of these companies can stomach, so you end up with compromises. In this comparison, I think bringing up FFXIII is appropriate, although unlike seemingly everyone on this site I liked FFXIII . It's not one of my top FF games, but as an overall game I think it had good pacing and the open world stuff only slowed it down too much if anything. I'm kind of hoping this is one of those "beta" type games that this site likes to make fun of, and this is preparation for an upscaled PS3 game.

Comment by Myballz
    08:40 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yet all the developers wish they can develop games for Ps2,xbox, and gamecube it was much more easy to make games on those consols then on HD ones.You notice why Japanese are more into the Hand-held market then home consel?

05:01 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This game and company, Monolith Soft., are owned by Nintendo, so no PS3.

00:10 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What the hell...this game has some awesome music and pretty, expansive sceneries. If anything, this made me want to PLAY the game.

00:14 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i don't know what the hell japan is complaining about. first they hate ff13 for being too linear, then they get something with a huge open world and complain about that too. i think its more impressive that they fit such a large world onto a game for the wii with, as far as i can tell, no loading screens at all. also the music is excellent.

23:56 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The game looks good though. Of course, they should have implement ways of transportation, like a animal of some sort to ride, or a glider to fly or something. But the overall of what I seen from this game shows it pretty good for a WII. Yes a WII...
    Do japanese know what they want? Sometimes I think they do not.

08:23 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you guys going to talk about FFXIII for every rpg that comes out now?...It's in the past already, if you guys hate it soo much, why keep reminding yourselves about it?

21:02 12/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks great! I'm planning to purchase Wii just for this game alone :)

05:23 07/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think that the huge enviorment is great. The lonely aspect of the game appeals to me, and besides walking around so much you can really appreciate the scenery. I am really looking forward to a localization of this game.

07:54 11/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I think this game looks pretty goddamn awesome. The trailer looks great (even if the faces are a bit unusual) and the gameplay looks pretty interesting as well. Sure the town is a bit barren, but it makes a nice change from RPG capital cities that are 2 streets, a vendor and an inn. And when the character jumped off the top off the mountain all the way back down to the water at the bottom, my eyes nearly bugged out- yeah it looks like it IS a nearly seamless world.

And what the fuck was that about “They made the city pointlessly huge but neglected to put in any fast travel”? Did that moron even WATCH to the end of the trailer? What was the last thing shown? Oh, would it have been THE FAST TRAVEL SYSTEM? Yes it WOULD! WHO'S A CLEVER BOY THEN?

18:07 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

those faces...

08:16 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't get it...so the problem is the game has big towns?

02:59 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

“That city is suffering from severe depopulation!”

I guess it could look that way to someone living in an area suffering from severe overpopulation.

Comment by Eleriel
    03:08 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so they learned from Final Fantasy XIII's mistake, but sadly went to the other extreme?

It does look rather scenic, though.

02:59 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The world theme kick-ass and make me want to explore the world.

03:43 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey! No loadscreens! Nice!

03:45 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It looks very pretty, but...

"We're running, we're running, we're running..."

Gimme a mini-bike, or a go-cart, or a horse, or something to get around the world there with!

Comment by El Chaos
    06:11 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

“What part of this is seamless?”

Maybe it's "seamlessly boring"? And why is the game character so effing zoomed out?

But I love the music... and recognized it almost instantly. It's Yasunori Mitsuda (missed him in both Xenosaga Episode I and III), this time along with Yoko Shimomura.

Comment by Alexeon
    04:36 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Did you guys even watch the second video the whole way? They do have fast travel. They use it at the end to get back to town and they chose where in the town to reappear at.

This game looks good. I want to get it.

04:49 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think they meant fast travel to go around the town itself? Kinda like how SO4 made you constantly press square to actually get around.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    04:39 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the world looks awesome even though the graphics is not that great still looking forward to the gameplay. this is only the first part of the game im pretty sure you'll have a more faster pace as u move on ^^

23:24 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The combat looks very dull, now i do realise that hes fighting level 4 monsters at level 13 but that just means its either tons of backtracking or your chars are just overly leveled from the start.

Comment by Dia
    23:41 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It takes too long to kill even those low level monsters (lvl 8 at end).

20:59 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Wii should just stick to "quality" titles like WiiSports and leave proper RPGs to consoles not stuck in the PS2 era.

21:06 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Like the next gen "so-called RPG" Final Fantasy? Maybe they should ditch all next gen bullshit and start making a games again.

Comment by Schrobby
    21:47 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer a good RPG with PS2 graphics over a bad RPG with PS3 graphics.

Comment by Jeedwi
    01:57 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I stare at a blank wall.

00:32 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I play Dragon Realms.

Comment by Hyra911
    23:52 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer a good game with NES graphics over a bad game with PS3 graphics.

20:50 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Item Get"?... If you don't understand any English, why use it at all?

Comment by Riiku
    20:53 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Because it's cheaper to use your own pathetic knowledge than hire real japanese-english translators?

20:50 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OMG I hope they won't force me to talk to everyone in the town to proceed with the story.

20:47 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The game HAS a fast travel system, as can be seen in an earlier trailer (and at the end of this video). It is comparable to the one in Fallout 3. The lack of NPCs in the city could be due to the time of the day. Honestly, this game seems to beat FFXIII in nearly every aspect, with maybe the only exception being the human character models. I dearly suggest the author of this "article" to do a little more research instead of basing it on comments made by people who obvliously can't get over the fact that their precious FFXIII is little more than a CGI-Movie with some gameplay snippets. My expectations are definitely not shattered.
    But anyway,thank you for uploading the video.

Comment by Artefact
    23:24 09/06/2010 # ! Incandescent

Nobody even mentioned FF13...

21:04 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That forest path is unbelievable - its a huge corridor filled with random monsters...

00:44 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, apt observation!

I notice this quite often in video games now, I guess it's because they're trying to appeal to both people who want to explore and those who fear getting lost.

The end result always comes out to be a big, artificial mess of big forest corridors, canyons, invisible walls. It's fairly cheap.

This can be observed in pretty much every Bioware title since KOTOR, Obsidian's barely functioning messes, and MMORPGs such as WoW (Ironforge) and some places in Ragnarok Online 2; as well, various modern JRPGs such as this one.

I'm not a fan of it, but I hope everyone who wants to play this game finds it enjoyable none the less.

21:06 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All is well but the faces...

I can't do anything but laugh when they pan anywhere close to a character.

Comment by DK
    21:29 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Main girl (?) is still suffering from "Am I cute UGUU~" syndrome. And it looks like it cannot be cured.

Comment by Schrobby
    21:51 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I - and a whole lot players - happen to like the cute charas in japanese games. Others prefer the bulky muscle men in western games. There's something for everybody. ^_^

Comment by Sarissofoi
    00:37 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer many diffrent characters. In short.
    If you want play gamne with manly men squad you should have the option.
    If you want Pretty Girl Team you should have the option.
    Also I hate must ave characters. If I dont want some character in team I should have option to kick them out!

Comment by Schrobby
    02:46 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, flexibility sure is nice. Sadly that leads to more work for the developers, something most are not willing to do...

04:51 10/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Then my advice should be:

Avoid the GRANDIA series..