Sony & Square Enix Face FF13 Bricking Lawsuit

final-fantasy-xiii-vista

A class action lawsuit has been filed against Sony and Square Enix, alleging they knowingly continued to allow Final Fantasy XIII to be sold despite it damaging consoles. The lawsuit is seeking “in excess of $5,000,000” in damages.

The plaintiff alleges Final Fantasy XIII “caused [customers’] PS3 consoles to freeze and become totally and permanently inoperable.”

He apparently experienced a crash on saving which “bricked” his console, and points to a hundred or more other cases reported on online forums since the March release of the title..

It is further claimed that “both Defendants are eminently aware of the damage being cause by their defective products, and have chosen to do nothing about it.”

Both companies are in fact said to have blamed each other for the failure, and to have done nothing.

Sony’s PS3 downgrades are even mentioned – it is said Sony demanded $270 to fix the (out of warranty) console, or $150 to provide a refurbished later model, lacking the PS2 compatibility possessed by the plaintiff’s original console.

All this is alleged to be a violation of Californian consumer protection law, and to constitute grounds for a class action lawsuit as damages are calculated to be in excess of $5,000,000 – a maximum is of course not specified, it being in practice “as much as we can get.”

Coming on the heels of the Linux lawsuit, this does not look to be a promising development for Sony.

Comment by Myballz
    14:30 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony has a big record for getting sue,the Church of England had sue Sony in 2007,NARM wants to sue Sony for illegally forcing retailers to carry compact discs with software and promotional inserts directing consumers to competing retail locations owned or operated by Sony, here is another one Canadian company Certicom sue Sony for that Sony’s AACS encryption process infringes on Certicom’s patented elliptical curve cryptography (ECC) meaning Sony has to pay a commission to Certicom for every Blu-ray equipped device that they sell that's why Blu-Ray was expensive thanks to a Canadian company.

Sony been geting screw not by use but by the whole fucking world.

14:39 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The people who are bashing on us being 'sue happy' are assholes, to be blunt. The real thing is that most Americans are too willing to NOT sue, like my parents, when they have been reamed with the old spiked metal pole by someone!

These people are just using the legal system for what it is meant for: to get redress when they honestly think that they deserve redress.

15:25 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

first of all those who lost money because their PS3 broke down after 20 continuous hours of play should not have the right to say: Damn you Sony and Square Enix! Because of you i just lost 20 hours of my life and 600 dollars! They need to own up to THEIR fault in not taking breaks or what ever had to be done to avoid a PS3 meltdown. Come on guys get out and get a tan, a life, and maybe even a job... god knows you need the social life...

18:40 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous, these things are supposed to be able to work for 24 hours straight, to take into account a FAMILY using them or someone not wanting to turn off the console and LOSE THEIR PLACE IN THE GAME..... Assassin's Creed 2... need I say more?

03:03 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Uhm, no, they are most certainly NOT made to run 24h a day. Did you even read the manual?

Comment by BlaqCat
    13:50 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow. SE, your really trashing your good name more and more aren't you..? Sony better start making some changes too. It just got back in the race, so this is no time to fuck up.

13:37 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"And I'm proud to be an American! Where at least I know I'm free!" (Until I scuff someone's shoe and get sued for over 2,000,000 dollars in damages for scratching what was probably a 25 dollar pair of shoes from payless.)"And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me! God Bless The USA!"

It's times like this that make me hate my own fucking country...

13:24 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

took forever to get the platinum on this game, about 120 hours total, with most play sessions having 10+ hours each...

so overheat? possibly... PSN problems? more likely... end user stupidity? i'd bet my money on the latter, plantiff probably pulled a huge fuck-up on his part, and is now trying to profit off it

hell, for all we know they reached behind the PS3 and manually turned it off while saving...

i'm american, but even i have to /facepalm at some of the shit that happens here...

15:26 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So 100 bricked consoles are $5,000,000. Which means one bricked system is worth $50,000 in damages. I'm half tempted to go buy a PS3 and this game in hopes it'll brick.

18:41 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The 50K in damages is meant to take into account that Sony might be found as being negligent in their testing of the PS3's or using 'el cheapo' parts in it.

15:47 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

playing FFXIII since release date and my console is still working.
    There must be something wrong ^,^

13:10 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh... just shows how much work is still needed on the PS3s, i own a 360 and FF13 and it runs fine if not purfect... or just might be faulty PS3s... money can only go so far...

Comment by Niegol
    10:16 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And what caused this crash then?

Let me guess: Overheating?

10:34 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn, it's like everyone's taking the piss out these big game companies.

10:57 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

More like everyone's bashing Sony just to make it more failsome and bring it down to the same level as xbox360 2 or 3 years ago.

12:20 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think it's an entirely bad thing to mercilessly beat the tar out of a large company; if money is the root of all evil, then what lasting virtue can become an entity that's only purpose is to turn a profit?

11:15 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a PAL version of the game and have never had any issues, maybe it's a problem isolated to America or are there known cases of PAL versions frying consoles as well?

Comment by PrinceHeir
    12:03 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

pretty much anything can be sue in america. this guy is pathetic. i don't know why he deals he's problems by suing why can't he you know find a job or save enough money instead of paying your lawyers and hoping to win in a long process. he's even lucky he has a gaming console not everyone on the world has one yet do they complain? really people like these are plain stupid and ignorant

12:39 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Prob does not have a job. Job data is very very negative in the recent report.

12:24 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What a load of horse shit. If it's caused by a game then it's the game creators fault, not the hardware manufacturer.

I'm really getting sick of these BS lawsuits.

Comment by dumba989
    11:46 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So what about the 360 version?

17:03 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It is going to be these same people that sued sony after burning out their ps3 through hours/days of playing that cry when they stop making games and systems that they buy only to complain about how they spent their money.

First comment ever on here and probably my last due to my sudden need to turn off my computer for a while and go outside...

12:33 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Remember what Spoony said, Final Fantasy sucks and you suck for liking it!

18:15 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

wtf? i played the game and beat it all and my ps3 works perfect

05:55 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

5mil???
    A PS3 is only like what....$300 now.
    The game is maybe about $40.
    Just throw the game away and get a new PS3.
    If that happened to me, I wouldn't be able to take it to court.
    Not that I would though, just leave it alone or email square or something.
    I dunno, don't get norky with it and make a big scene.

06:30 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Somebody tell me: how did FF13 can kill my PS3? What is the problem? Bad code, overloading hardware, etc?

04:06 11/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I played the game for more than 100 hours and my PS3 works perfectly...That's bullsh#t,so they can make a profit for nothing.Sony should sue each and every one of those losers for making unbased accusations and tainting it's name.

Comment by i2aminspired
    00:10 08/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

About time someone sued them. This game has too many sequels and needs to be stopped now cause it's run it's course.

03:37 29/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

too many sequels? Only final fantasy 10 came with a sequel (ff X-2) which i agree i didn't like, however, the other games had little to no connection with each other. (i.e. characters, battle systems, storyline,etc.) Please gather the facts before you go about making remarks about something.

01:31 08/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

great with every one sueing sony now it is going to come back to bite us all in the azz

04:14 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL! They knew that this could brick their PS3, but did nothing about it. When their PS3 crash, they attempted to sue SE. We didn't even know if they deliberately wanted to play until it crashes and then to sue just for the $$$.

FF13 shouldn't even be released out of Japan. At least this would serve as a protection from lawsuits outside of Japan due to that you're not even allowed to play this game outside of Japan.

17:47 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hundreds of complaints, in millions of sold units? Hardly a worthwhile percentage.

Comment by Coburn64
    17:49 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Smells like a lot of BS to me. At least it turns me away from buying a PS3. >_>

Comment by Ghostchase
    18:23 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And to think that I was going to buy a PS3 for FF and MGS... maybe I won't after all

20:07 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't really think you should worry. The chances of that actually happening to you are very low...and there's just as much of a chance of that happening on any other console.

03:22 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

At first it doesn't sound like much, but it's actually a legitimate complaint; not so sure about the whole 5 million, that's just being greedy.

23:03 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So much for the "superior" PS3 version

00:07 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah good luck proving any link between the game and PS3 failure, lawsuit people.

Comment by Miroku74
    01:44 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A woman who sued McDonald's (because the stupid bitch left her cup of coffee in her lap as she was pulling out of the parking lot) got awarded millions. And now ever since then they have that Caution: Contents Hot label on their coffee cups. Any reasonably smart person would've known the fucking coffee was hot to begin with and NOT leave it in their laps while dealing with traffic.

The point of this story? Stupidity is rewarded.

03:04 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And it's limitless too. "This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen" is a phrase I use every 2-3 days. PEOPLE ARE DUMB.

03:32 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"World's Dumbest ________", if you fill in the blank, chances are pretty high we might have it as a TV show here in the US...

Comment by SunnyJ
    01:19 07/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It amuses me that everyone is so quick to say its Sony's fault. If every other game can save without causing a problem, it is unlikely that the issue is the PS3's. This will be pinned on SE if anything ever comes of it.

Now, additionally, whats to say that the system just didn't hit a point and die? After selling millions of them it wouldn't surprise me if among a couple million, 100 would just randomly die when they try to do something that utilizes a failed part.

Should I sue Microsoft or the Opensource group behind Linux if by chance my system dies when I go to save a file? Parts die, boo hoo. If this was a higher percentage maybe it would be an actual concern.

Also, in regards to the other Sony Lawsuit, they dropped support for it. Doesn't mean they are removing it, they aren't forcing you to upgrade and then take away the "other OS" support. Don't upgrade and leave your linux on it, now was that so hard?

09:24 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have never had a problem, and I'm on my second play through...never heard of this until now. I personally don't think there's anything to worry about.

09:45 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why are you playing again? can´t afford another game?

20:00 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Believe it or not, there are people who actually like the game.

Oh I forgot, according to most people on this site, no one should like it, and anyone who does has a bad taste in games. (and to think I've actually seen people post stuff like that)

06:23 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If people keep suing Sony for every problem they get off their PS3, eventually Sony will shut down due to bankruptcy and all PS3 will be useless. Let's see who they'll blame then.

Comment by El Chaos
    07:06 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably Microsoft, because their newly monopolistic system will RRoD on them, lol.

06:27 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ahhh

it seems Sony and Square (let's be honest, it's not Enix) are learning business practices a little too well from MS

07:09 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, because they have an upstanding 20 year long record of producing suicidal technology.

"This program has terminated abnormally. Your computer is probably going to explode now.

Press any key to arm more explosives.
    Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to explode now."

Comment by BeatMason
    07:07 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Except they got sued for 5 million dollars :/.

06:32 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good thing I bought the Japanese version of FF13 which didn't have any freezes or game breaking crashes. This is a case of Amerifail.

09:17 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hehe stupid japaphile, no country is better then the other.