Red Dead Redemption PS3 vs Xbox 360: “PS3 is Pathetic”

red-dead-redemption-ps3-vs-xbox-360-comparison-06-360.jpg

red-dead-redemption-ps3-vs-xbox-360-comparison-06-ps3.jpg

After the release of Rockstar’s GTA western Red Dead Redemption, the major topic for discussion is not the game itself but instead the alleged inferiority of the PS3 version, which Rockstar claims is “identical” but critics claim runs at a lower resolution and with significantly degraded visuals.

The two versions are compared below, with the Xbox 360 on top:

red-dead-redemption-ps3-vs-xbox-360-comparison-08-360.jpg
red-dead-redemption-ps3-vs-xbox-360-comparison-08-ps3.jpg
red-dead-redemption-ps3-vs-xbox-360-comparison-09-360.jpg
red-dead-redemption-ps3-vs-xbox-360-comparison-09-ps3.jpg
red-dead-redemption-ps3-vs-xbox-360-comparison-10-360.jpg
red-dead-redemption-ps3-vs-xbox-360-comparison-10-ps3.jpg

The major difference is said to be a likely 640p resolution on the PS3 (upscaled to 720p), compared to full 720p on the Xbox 360, a not insignificant 20% difference. Other apparent inferiorities include less grass, rougher antialiasing and lower framerates.

Opinions range from calling the differences a matter of personal preference to condemning the PS3 as the inferior console.

The game itself is being heralded as a masterpeice and certain Game of the Year candidate, so whatever platform squabbles ensue, the game itself is beyond reproach.

Even so, players are wondering just why a game with a budget in the hundreds of millions is suffering from the same lazy porting which afflicts so many supposedly identical “multiplatform” games.

00:27 28/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Basically what it seems to come down to on the shitty PS3 ports is that they make the games for the 360, which can't handle the BluRay data storage capabilities of the PS3. So when the port's put together the PS3 is shortchanged by having to work upward off of inferior hardware, and you end up getting a "good enough" product instead of what the PS3 could REALLY manage.

Just think how bad it would be if the games were MADE for the PS3 and then ported to the 360...you'd either get half the game cut out to fit on the 360 disc or you'd get a 360 game that runs 3-4 discs long and STILL looks like shit.

17:37 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Its simple :] . PS3 is inferion console . Almost every game develper will say that in person .

20:35 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

POWER X-TREME

16:41 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't give a shit bout the graphics. As long as the game is fun, then that's all I care about.

17:40 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Even the mighy cell is to weak to rescue the really poor gpu in ps3's console .

16:10 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow. Yeah. Very noticeable difference. I wish developers wouldn't play the graphics game. Much less the content game where they withhold content for a different console. In the end, the customer loses.

14:12 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a reverse Final Fanstasy 13

14:39 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm holding off on this game. I purchased GTA4 the day it came out for the PS3 and have always thought it was horrible. I was unable to see far and everything was always blurry, other then the new features, story, and physics GTASA on my old Xbox looked superior. GTA4 would look nothing like the game trailers, I just assumed they used a Xbox 360 or my HD TV was damaged.

I played with the PS3 video output configurations and could never find an ideal setting. I toyed with the in game brightness and it helped... a little.

On the other hand Gran Turismo 4 Prologue and FFXIII run perfectly. *shrug*

03:19 21/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, from what I remember hearing, they used a PC testbed running at absurdly high resolutions for all those screenshots and early trailers, which is why the actual games don't look at good as all the advertising for them. Still, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the PS3 version had problems. Rockstar seems to focus on one lead platform (usually 360), and just shits out the other ports to rake in money from other console owners.

I'm really glad I'm not one of the clueless masses and know to read about this stuff to make an informed purchase. I would be pissed if I ended up getting the shitty port and had frame rate issues just because I didn't follow this crap on the internet.

04:21 21/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Developing on the Xbox 360 is closer to developing on a windows PC then the PS3.
    It has three general purpose CPUs vs a single general purpose CPU and SPUs.
    Other issues the Xbox uses direct X while the PS3 uses a modified version of OGL call PSGL.

They simply rushed the port to the PS3.

It's nothing new I remember seeing stuff like this back in the Amiga and ST days.

If a game came out first on the ST or PC the Amiga port sometimes was lackluster compared to other Amiga games.

18:39 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sure, it's a revenge for "identical" FFXIII port :-)

19:28 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The screenshots at the bottom do appear to be a bit more homosexual than the ones at the top. Perhaps it is the fault of the users of the PS3.

19:46 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No no its just the image of your mom being a whore that gets everyones vision cloudy

20:46 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Grass is the only thing different between them.

20:58 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Apparently nobody thought about the red ring of death, I have to cut my gaming time.

stupid Xbox.

20:35 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to stare at the two pics for a long period of time to notice any major differences. Honestly, the visual differences are trivial.

I'm still pissed at Rockstar for ruining the only franchise that made them viable (gta), and then they follow it up with a genre I despise (westerns, not sandbox). Of all the gta sandboxes that could have been made (zombie gta, classic monster gta with vampires, werewolves, and other goodness, futuristic gta with a future city, dinosaur gta, gta in space, etc, etc.. and western is what we get, with noir coming up next... Bleh!)

19:48 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Who cares? Red Dead Redemption is boring as hell. Gonna sell it this weekend at my buddy's store. Can't believe I pre-ordered this crap. Had more fun playing Lost Planet 2.

13:55 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Eh, oh well. It's not like the game is actually different. I bought FFXIII on 360 because I didn't want to bother replacing my broken PS3 just to play it. Sure it doesn't look as good but who cares. If I wanted to stare at a work of art I'd buy a painting, I buy games to play them.

Of course I'd still prefer developers to actually put effort into their ports, but...

Comment by tingle
    10:42 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i don't get it it looks identical unless it has framrerate issues like GTA4 PS3 or Bayonetta I see no problem

10:58 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yup...nothing wrong with the consoles....it's the developers fault for letting this slide.

10:39 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Majority of 3rd party multiplat american games are crap on the PS3. That's why Sony's 1st party shows them how it is done, problem is. These 3rd party developers don't or refused to learn a thing or two from Sony's 1st party.

09:54 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a VIDEO game. Of course graphics is important. Why else do people buy HDTV? For the lulz? Resist the temptation to be morons, even though you buy into the PS3 "potential" hype that never materialize.

Go tell Sony to stop being dicks and build a console time that is friendlier to program. Sony is just too full of its past successes.

10:41 23/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Friendlier to program? Uh, dev's have stated that PS3 is not at all hard to develop games with. In fact, it's much easier.

And yes, PS3 has potential. But do the developers use any of it? I've only seen a few do it (Santa Monica and SE, mostly). Western developers are just lazy pricks, is all.

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    09:55 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Graphics are the last thing I care about when I go around f*cking people up in a Rockstar game...

Comment by imaslut
    10:02 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

looks like color palet differences to me.

Comment by Ero-Kurage
    11:25 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it comes down to the nbr of consoles sold, X360 being more than than PS3, so if I were RockStar or any other developers, I would also put more time & effort on X360 version which will bring in more revenue. All just business which is $, this generation, PS3 is 2nd choice in developers' eyes, even I only own PS3, but that's the truth. Since I am not planning to waste my $ on a red-ring console and get myself upset, I will stick with the PS3 version.

13:33 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You can actually see the difference without zooming in for once...eat that PS3

13:38 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

GTAIV was overrated and this is no different.

13:50 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe I'm just an old man at the decrepit age of 23 but I can still remember when the hottest console on the market was the NES. While I can see maybe a slight fuzziness in the PS3 version what's the big deal?

It's still highly realistic in terms of graphics, it still looks good, and I'll wager it plays just the same.

So the graphics on 2 different sets of hardware aren't identical, why is this important?

Neither one looks bad and the inferiority of the PS3 version is minimal at worst.

13:51 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 fanboys always have an excuse. They like to point out the games that look better (which are very few) are superiour and claiming that it's the better version.

Then we get something like this and their excuses start pouring in like, "graphics don't make the game" or "I can't even see the difference" and "it's the same game, what's the difference?"

PS3 fanboys are the worst.

10:35 23/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All fanboys do that. It isn't only noticeable on one side of the spectrum.

And BTW, there really is no excuse for such horrid quality. PS3 has the ability to pull off better graphics. Rockstar is full of lazy assholes, is all.

Comment by Stiyl-Magnus19
    12:49 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Note: play on pc

Comment by Dark Mage
    11:32 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

News flash sometimes ports stink when the architecture of the original system is significantly different from what the game was ported to.

The Xbox 360 has three PPEs while the PS3 has one PPE and eight SPUs.

To fully take advantage of the PS3 the engine would need to be partly rewritten and they were to lazy too do that.

12:11 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a visually shitty game anyways, fugly characters and all. Does it matter if the PS3 is a little uglier?

21:36 20/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And once again the difference is barely noticeable, only pussies would get bothered by this.

23:47 21/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And this, you see, is why said "critics" are complete and utter twats.

06:55 23/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hi all, is anyone having brightness problems? My tv contrast and brightness is set to about 80% which is more than bright enough to watch normal tv. When i enter a building or a mine i cant see my own hand 2 inches in front of my face...? and yes my brightness, contract are all set to max in the game? Plus my display settings are all done automatic and iv never had this problem with any other games? Any info would out out alot! Thanks all

Comment by stonedmafia
    23:37 22/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I just got a new replacement ps3 from sony 2hours ago, I baught this game and played for 30minutes and the bleuray failed. now my ps3 is broken. again. FUCK !

another month waisted omfg.

13:39 21/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this is pointless. since when rockstar games give us great graphics?
    older games usually beat this game at graphics, i mean, its not about ps3 or 360 being inferior one to other, it's your personal war against a console what we are reading.

09:56 21/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 can kiss y behind for all I care.

I hold up that yes, it MAY have better graphics, it can't handle those graphics. Fallout 3; Dear god it got choppy during the more action packed sequences along with quite a few of the DLC areas. Borrowed the 360 from a friend, and it ran more smoothly. I can care less how good or bad the game looks. Is it fun, should be the main point of discussion.

Eh, whatever. Fanboys will simply send hateful replies against me for this comment. As long as I"m having fun, I don't really care if it's in 720p or 1080p. Seeing MW or Mass Effect in hi-def, it is indeed awesome. But it won't effect how I play the game.

10:05 21/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, ps3 fanboys... Just get the game, stop trying to look smart.

Comment by erochichi
    10:15 21/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Pic 7 Bird on the sky (eagle?) is missing on Xbox.

09:26 23/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's pathetic!! how can Rockstar permid this kind of port, this non exclusivity generation of videogames are killing the quality of the games...

16:06 06/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Who gives a shit about slight changes? Come on! It's the contrast and aliassing...
    Companies tend to do better for the platform that is doing better (sell wise) than the others so they can increase their profits. But for minor differences such as these, what's the big deal here? Grow up...all of you.

08:00 27/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so many dumb comments, yes xbox 360 version looks better but FFXIII was better on ps3 then 360. Its all about how the programmers tackle the project, nothing to do with the system. This argument has been going on which is a beefier powerhouse and too be honest I havnt seen a game one either system blow the other system out of the water. Each system has there own powerhouse games that show off there tech. Only difference between the two is sony has blu ray while xbox has better online funcionality. That is it.

05:43 25/07/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Agree to up for a James Franco Sex Tape!

10:57 08/04/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't believe i read people using this invalid "porting" argument. Bunch of idiots, you don't know anything about game development.

And seriously, people are saying that Rockstar is lazy? that the game s ugly? (the fucking GOTY). My God, fuck off, just FUCK OFF....

Comment by ranivus
    17:51 26/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

FUCK FUCK FUCK... that is the LAST time I get convinced to get a multiplatform game on the PS3 just for the fact it has "exclusive content." That exclusive content was just a complete scam in the first place too. 2 outfits and one of them you had to join their "social club". I knew there was something off with the ps3 version... like I saw waay too many jaggies and its not friendly to my TV screen. Not friendly meaning, the blackness is just too black. I'll be riding at night, then a rain storm hits, forget about it!! It's so pitch black, the only way i can see anything on the screen is if i turn on dead eye. So many other shit i could complain about but ill get off my soap box...

13:46 26/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

graphics don't make the game. but honestly i see no difference between the two.

22:06 25/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, a slight loss in graphical fidelity. The game is AMAZING. It's worth the money it costs, and if you think it's easy to port games, then I'd like to speak to you about a bridge.