Activision: “PS3 Will Outsell Xbox 360”

ps3-xbox-360-bikini-tan

Activision has said it expects the PS3 to outsell the Xbox 360 in 2010, a sharp turnabout from its previous threats to dump Sony.

The estimates come from internal Activision console sales estimates, with Activision thinking the PS3 will enjoy a 9 million unit increase in install base in 2010, versus 8 million for the Xbox 360.

activision-hardware-estimates

Leaving aside the issue of two loser companies fighting over a distant second place to Nintendo, Sony still has some way to go before catching up to Microsoft – total global sales stand at approximately 40 million Xboxes vs 35 million PS3s.

This may not however take into account the actual install bases, as there is some suspicion the Xbox’s high failure rate and large number of blocked consoles inflate Xbox hardware sales somewhat – Activision’s sources seems not to think so, however.

18:27 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"loser companies". Last time I checked the PS3 and 360 were far superior to that awful piece of shit with no games that is the Wii.

19:41 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

clearly they're so popular that they dont need to steal ideas from the wii about...i dont know...it's wiimote perhaps?

18:40 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Superior ? When ? In your dreams or what ?? :D

00:16 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't believe _ANY_ sales numbers I saw, because the corporatations see them as "marketing" and "positioning" "tools".

02:16 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They're probably outselling the xbox because most people already own an xbox.

12:12 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>activision
    >words

03:28 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

well if this would offer some brief lapses of hope. Wii's games are just as easily sold via piration as much as xbox 360 games are. Microsoft's doing something to stop this however and well nintendo's way of doing this is too much of a fail to even remember. Ps3 still gets $$$ via it's games though. Too bad it took a long time for them to actually be sold as a buy-able product on the gaming market.

21:23 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

One Natale releases and we see Sony's "3d controller" go head to head with 360's Natale, Activision won't be saying that for long.I guarantee it!

Comment by rev effect
    10:32 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

im kind of on the same page as the anon above me. i own both the 360 and ps3 but i play the 360 more mostly because there were more games for it that i liked to play than on my ps3. i even play my ps2 more than the ps3. the ps3 does have some good tittles but most of them dont have that great of longevity to me which is what i am looking for in games these days since i dont have much to spend, i could really care less about graphics because sooner or later that game is going to look like crap compared to what comes out after it. gameplay is what matters the most.

10:12 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder what Activision is basing this on.... Maybe they have some kind of killer game in the works that is going to sell all those consoles?

Personally, while the PS3 has quite a few games, mine sits around collecting dust because most of the games on the system are not relevant to my interests. I have a total of four PS3 games, plus a few more I look forward to getting such as Ar Tonelico 3 and Atelier Rorona. My 360 title collection is over 35 now, but I didn't intend it to work out that way, it just did. If the PS3 had G.Rev and Cave shooters along with games like Idolmaster, I would be happy to use my PS3 more.

Aside from the obvious titles like Disgaea 3, Eternal Sonata, etc, what are some compelling cute titles to pick up on the PS3 right now?

Comment by TehBoringOne
    17:58 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I know nothing of cute titles, as I simply don't like them. However, regarding your question about what Activision has under its sleeve, I hear they made a deal with Bungie for a new IP... Maybe that's what they think will end up selling more PS3s.

Although I think the new IP will be multiplat, so I could be mistaken and Activision talking out of their asses.

Comment by Canadane
    10:11 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The 360 only sells so much because half of them break.
    People don't need to re-buy PS3s.

Although I shouldn't talk, I own 4 PS3s. <_<

10:37 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No. When it breaks, the 360 gets replaced. People are not buying a new 360 every time.

Comment by RunnerRed
    18:30 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

when microsoft replaces your 360, they send you a refurbished model, most of the time. That implies a second hand device with same hardware, as subject (if not more) to failure as your first, and if your model was a non-hdmi, you probably won't get hdmi 360 (even if this is the third or fourth replacement for the same console).

So, in the end, first versions buyers need a 360 with more recent and trusty hardware, even if they have been using it in a perfectly legal way. So, expect major sales on the final price drop, i say

16:16 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

heh microsoft didn't cover the defective replacement console they sent me for the other defective xbox i bought. you talk like you think MS will replace any xbox out there

11:45 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Except when it's a chipped box, then the warranty is void, also quite a few xboxes get blockef from online-play, which get people to buy a new one.

Still, in the end the most interesting number to look at for developers would probably be game sales for games available on both consoles, where AFAIK xbox is bigger than ps3, indicating that there are more active xbox players than there are ps3-players.

09:54 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it's not a sale if the xbox360 is being replaced for you by microsoft, so those global sales should be accurate

Comment by TehBoringOne
    17:54 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Some idiots have bought a 360 more than once... Like a certain pair of dumbasses I know that live near me...

10:35 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wasn't Activision the same group of idiots that were threatening to pull off support for the PS3 if it didn't sell more?

10:38 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You would know if you read the the very first sentence.

10:44 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My friend got banned for chipping his xbox.. first thing he did was go out and buy a new one.

BS sales figures imo.

11:32 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, because 5 million people have chipped their Xbox...

17:22 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Check the sales in China in India. Most of them are Chipped.

Comment by Myballz
    18:36 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Microsoft's workforce is in both countrys?

22:53 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You it's basically impossible to get a nonchipped one in certain countries too, and I know several people here that after they got theirs banned, went out and bought a nonchipped one and the games they liked the most for online.

So yeah, I agree, they are BS numbers.

12:37 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Out of 40 million? That's like 12.5% which isn't that far fetched.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    18:01 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I know 30 XBox users. 29 chipped theirs.

Comment by takuya13
    09:49 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i recently bought a ps3...but that doesnt mean i'll turn my back on the 360!

Comment by basilio
    09:00 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

xBox's actual sale numbers are supposed to be the estimated number divided by 5. For each xBox actually purchased, it has to be replaced 4 times.

Comment by Vegio
    18:29 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it has more to do with the xbox elite versions that came out later on.
    A lot of people I know traded back their old 360s for a new one, which hasn't happened at all with satisfied fat ps3 users who already had a large HDD at hand.

09:50 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ps3's actual sales numbers are also inflated. for the majority of the ps3 buyers within the 1st year of launch were adults looking for a blu-ray player.

I know a large number of adults that own a ps3 and a single game. (resistance: fall of man that came packaged with the game.)

sorry for being a fanboy butt hurting that the xbox 360 version of games are still outselling the ps3 version of games unless it is obviously made on the ps3 and ported over poorly like FXIII

09:40 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Really? Because, y'know, with a 3-year free replacement warranty, and the console only being out 5 years, it works out you only should've bought one replacement console.

18:32 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony fanboys and their complexes :] . Their ps3 is the same crap liek 360 . Old ,slow and with sucky uneffective architecture :] .

Comment by BlaqCat
    22:05 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you talking hardware architecture, or what? because unless you list some examples, I'm just going to go ahead and write you off as talking out of your ass...

Comment by Sukunai
    08:49 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder how those numbers are really supposed to mean anything?

So many games come out and are only Japanese releases. Then there is the anti X Box mindset of so many Japanese. But then Japan is hardly the world.

And selling 3 X-boxes because the first 2 failed hardly counts as 3 installed customers eh.

Then there's the weird power of the Wii and the Handheld zone.

Comment by BlaqCat
    22:03 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, when the hardware is as cheap as the Wiis (cheap to produce, not cheap as in bad quality), and the target audience includes old people, and non-gaming family members (Wii fit...lol ); it's no surprise it sold as well as it did.

Comment by TNinja
    09:16 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This

20:37 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That sir is the main reason why I have all 3 consoles. No hate.. all equal love.

Comment by BlaqCat
    21:58 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I will admit as a multi-system owner, most of those titles would probably at least -look- better on other consoles. So the little stick figure is quite right.

Comment by Ken
    11:24 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

dude! Wii owns!!!!!

18:01 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah. Remember when Microsoft and Sony's gaming departments were calling the Wii a kid's toy and saying it wouldn't amount to anything? Also bashing the motion controls? Life sure is ironic, huh?

Comment by MasterYuke
    23:25 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

if the Wii had better graphics and if Nintendo still cared about awesome games, that would be more reason to buy a Wii.

I just pray Nintendo can satisfy more hardcore gamers with their next release, or nobody will pay attention to them anymore...

19:39 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree on second part

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    20:39 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's because Wii is targeting a totally different audience - parents and small children :P

not man-children

Comment by Schrobby
    11:17 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Both sales figures are moot.

There were replacements bought for the xbox, but not as much as people think. The warranty is quite long.

There were replacements bought for the PS3 as well. And some as cheap BluRay players. And some for parallel computing.

Those numbers can't really be trusted.

11:21 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Looser companies? Oh fucking christ Artefact..

When Sony and Microsoft make the consoles 30 bucks I'm sure they'll get their numbers.

Same reason Wii fit is the "best selling game" because it's god damn fucking FREE...

16:07 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wii Sports is free in the US. It isn't in Japan. Wii Fit isn't free anywhere.

16:02 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wii fit free? What? Since when?

11:25 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sex box sales are rapidly dropping according to the gamespot news . even fucking Wii is ahead by 3 millions

09:21 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really hate to be a 360 owner with their fail rate.

11:16 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My xbox 360 did fail once. After that it had no problem at all. Albeit the frustration in which I couldn't play my games for 3 weeks, microsoft took care of everything including sending the shipping box, and shipping the console back to me without a dime spent from my pocket. Pretty good for console replacement if you ask me. Quite hassle free too I might add. And now after sony released their patch which doesn't let you play games online or new games unless you update, my ps3 slim have been stripped of its ability to install other OSes. I'm still holding onto my ps3 receipt in case there is a development in the lawsuit of recent.

Comment by BlaqCat
    22:10 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Y'know, this class action suit sounds like the most petty and greedy shit ever. Seriously? Who the fuck needs Linux on a damn gaming system??

14:08 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ps3 Slim never had the capability of running another OS

Comment by TehBoringOne
    17:49 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait, Anon. Let him believe that he'll get free money for his slim just a little longer...

Laughter shall come to you.