Neko CPR or Feline Necrophilia?

neko-cpr.jpg

The latest cat video to tug at Japanese heartstrings revolves around a tragic scene of apparent feline bereavement.

The cat in question appears to be “massaging” its recently deceased companion in an attempt at revival:

The poignant scene naturally moved many cat-lovers to tears, although spoilsports on 2ch couldn’t help but remark that it looked as though the cat simply wanted to mate with the fallen cat in a grotesque act of feline necrophilia.

Comment by Majineko
    13:18 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>_>. im surprise this vid is so popular. i didnt feel anything at all and i too like cats. if people really cared about the cats, then they should get up and try to help keeps cats off the street. adopt some or something. as long as theyre on the street more is gonna die. this shouldnt even phase anyone. neko tears my ass

Comment by TheLAG
    15:01 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So you don't relate this event to something like the death of someone you know?
    If you applied "If people really cared - then they should get up and try to help keeps cats off the street." to other things (hobo's, drug mules, starving children in other countries), you'll see it's a large and nearly impossible thing.

Besides, it's just a normal, empathic response to another animal's suffering/sadness. If you lack that, perhaps you need to look at yourself and what's missing at your life.

Comment by Majineko
    15:43 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

they made the vid to make you feel that way. its just a thought, but if you walking on a normal day blah blah and you see wat you saw in that vid, would you react the same way?? i doubt it. the sad music, the zoom in, the angle at which it was shot, all of that manipulative stuff annoyed me.

btw, please stop comparing an animals life to a human. i dont see you replying to immature aholes on this sites who say they wont feel anything if this were actually 2 humans. until that cat gets up and say hey maji, im really sad cuz my friend died. then ill take your comment seriously.

remember its just a youtube video. stop crying

15:34 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The fact that you put the life of domesticated animals above humans or even equal to them is just sad. Not sad for you, sad for me. It depresses me to see how far humans have fallen when they emphasize the safety and well-being of an animal before their fellow man starving on the street or dying from AIDS.

On the other hand, I'd have to say, you should probably look at yourself and your life when you put the life of an animal above your fellow man. I think there are better things you could be doing to help the less fortunate than looking for human emotions from a stray cat.

Comment by TheLAG
    16:05 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Right anon. Because I only care about animals and not everyone else on the streets.

I used to be homeless for a stint, and I spent a ton of time helping those less fortunate on the streets after my buddies got me back on my feet, so honestly, I feel no need to change the way I look at ALL living beings. Thanks though.

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    12:45 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you know from a different prespective,...
    Its a little funny if the one cat is just trying to deflate his pal. Coz he is after all standing on top with all four paws, and kneading the other cat, like you do with an air matress before you fold it up and put it away.

o.o

Comment by KuroNii
    18:37 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to agree with you. The live cat DOES seem to be trying to deflate the dead one. But why did he stop and lie down next to the dead one?

And to the rest of you: The only comments I've seen here are people trying to say that "Cats are human too blah blah." or "He's humping it." There is more to one scene than just the two ends of the spectrum.

11:04 09/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lions cuddle after mating too...

10:56 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is freaking sad.

All the people that can't seem to handle the truth are thumbing down the realists. The cat isn't trying to save the dead cat, it's trying to have sex with it. This isn't a hard concept to follow.

How much farther will humans fall? Stop trying to find human emotions from animals.

Comment by moebius22
    11:03 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's funny how people anthropomorphize animal behavior.

11:56 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Try this:
    1. Mute the volume
    2. Play any song you'd play during sex.
    It won't seem so sad and "human".

Comment by TheLAG
    14:46 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know whats worse. Knowing that you can't do anything to help, or not being able to fully understand the situation, ever.

Comment by Majineko
    15:48 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

discovery channel anyone?? i bet you even shed tears when nature takes its coarse. how lame.

15:51 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Umm why is everyone misinterpreting the fact that we are animals as well and distinguishing humans and animals as separate organisms is what I'm curious to know..

15:38 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

God i hate internet.
    I would fucking wish to kill those who speak ill of death.
    I don't see anything fun about death, it can happen to anyone. Even to those closest to your heart.
    It's not laughing matter.

Poor cat, This broke my heart...

10:49 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Its just a normal behavior on cats when they feel something confy they tend to do that since it feels "good" for them

08:32 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully the cat still has a few lives left.

08:52 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

eh, the music ruined it for me...as of what it was doing I am not quite sure...it was massaging the dead on which to cats means affection and he was biting the neck(?) which could mean attempting to mate but it really didn't seem that way sooo....idk correct me if im wrong. I dont own a cat, but I would want to for sure.

rip to the dead kitteh.

08:19 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know why half of you are upset at posters pointing the obvious fact that the white cat clearly wants to bone the black one...

All the weird freaks should be happy, anyways. I mean, this gives video proof that animals can't help but want to screw dead corpses at times. Go Necrophilia!!!

08:14 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Source and story here.

Comment by EyE
    07:53 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

why does a cat on top of another cat have to mean anything?

08:12 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A dead cat is fine too.....as long as it's a loli.

09:26 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"*hic* C-c'mon Fluffy. Wakey uuup. *hic* Y-you'll be *BURRRP!* ah-rested fer *hic* bein' drunk an' passed out on der street. *hic* L-let's go shomwheres better *hic* s-sow you kin shleep it off. *hic*"

10:19 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ive heard of elephants doing something similar over the corpse of a fallen member of the heard, nudging and poking at it as if to wake it up, and when nothing but bones are left, said elephants would then proceed to break said bones as if in burial...

10:19 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

cats n dogs will hump anything that lingers with the smell of opposite sex phemone.

10:09 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Obamacare killed the cat. Death panels for grandma and Mittens.

09:29 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sadder version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nte4Wa3XsGg

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

Comment by hell to the no
    09:32 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn_EyUfEDrc&feature=related [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn_EyUfEDrc&feature=related]

Comment by Panik
    09:43 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Did not expect to cry... but I did :'(

09:48 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It was actually possible that the white cat was really trying to hump. May be possible that the cat was trying to revive it.

BUT IT ALWAYS annoys me to no end, when humans apply human behaviors to animals. You cry over this video when you aren't sure whether the cat is really trying to do? Smells of self-centered assumptions that the cat was doing something noble.

Grow. Up. Help the poor/unfortunate while you're at it. Crying here wouldn't revive the cat, but maybe helping those who are alive would. Being sad after watching this video is completely pointless.

It's like the Rwanda genocide where millions died, and people are going 'Oh my god, that's really terrible.' And proceed to having their breakfast.

DO SOMETHING. Not cry. Sheesh.

Comment by TheLAG
    15:20 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree, it's important to have some form emotional response to this sort of thing, but to go all emo about it for a second, and then just walk away like nothing happened is pretty asshole-ish, I guess.

I'm no saint, butI donate to charities (Like the sucker I am), use public transportation, and bring the occasional stray cat to vets/shelters (Won't bring dogs, scared of being bitten).

All that said, what are we gonna do here?
    Simply "Meh"? Go on an all out... "thing" to save cats?

The best many people can do is throw their emotions out there, and move on with life because that's what much of life requires us to do. If human nature annoys you, then well that's like... just your opinion dood. :/

17:07 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i dunno know what's more sad - the white cat trying to revive a fallen nakama or the fact that this shows more humanity than some humans

13:25 07/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There are many instances in the animal world of other creatures displaying emotions that are thought to be limited to humans. But seriously guys, this sure as hell isn't one of them. It's a cat trying to hump another cat that happens to be dead. Don't make it something it's not.

And yes, the cat cuddled with the dead one. Lions cuddle after mating too, you know.

Comment by Kurohana Setsuna
    13:31 07/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That is the most saddest thing I've ever seen. It's obvious the cat's showing love and compassion for it's pal. It's very difficult not to cry when you see this...T_T

11:08 07/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why the fk is the car's wheel still on the cat's tail. fk that car!

06:15 07/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the white cat (Fluffers) has just killed his long time nemisis the black cat (Mittens) and is doing a victory dance on his grave

18:06 07/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dude, if you super-imposed Kamina glasses on the dead cat, nobody would be able to contain their tears. Not even anon.

16:23 24/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

people dead caused by others or the said people's folishness
    cats died caused by people's folishness
    Humans are sad beings indeed
    F*** Humanity

Comment by man1
    02:48 14/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh... This is the first time a SanCom article made me choke in tears...

Having had witness a cat being hit-and-ran by a car (and the instantaneous but disturbing after-effect on the cat), this video simply forced the reminiscence of the shock & grieve of that day.

May the cat rest in peace....

Comment by dragoonsouls
    04:11 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

nekophilia (?)... well it's quite rare the escene... maybe the animals are evoluting...

04:36 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yes, this is sad indeed.

this made me drop tears, im a huge cat lover, and the white cat is just trying to awake up the black cat.

oh its sad, first post ive made.

04:56 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Had to stop watching this. Incredibly moving, a 20 year old male brought to the brink of tears by a cat and its love for another. Ugh.

I love my cat.

19:15 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

For the first time, I want to punch Sankaku Complex on the face for writing such an inappropriate title for this article

19:56 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

18:34 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Cat's alone now :<

17:26 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

poor kitty >.<

17:31 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

im a big black guy whos on a hs football team and i cryed like a little bitch god i hope no one at school finds out ....poor neko

18:31 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

tragic... i dont cry or come close to it when it happens to people but here?...

-bawls-...

poor cats...

23:51 06/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's so obvious that the tomcat wanted to mate with the dead cat. You can even see him humping.

00:08 07/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry to be a spoil sport. I have a male cat and he does exactly that to his hand puppet sex toy. :|

00:11 07/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Still me:

And i'm not making people feel bad, just that this is exactly what cats do when they mate. It probably doesn't know that the black cat is dead already.

As a person who actually has a pet cat, I'm more disturbed that someone can even post such a video here. I do hope you take this down.