Idol Mangaka Xià Dá “Stop Fussing Over My Looks!”

xia-dia-002

Belle mangaka Xià Dá, suddenly projected to idol status after photographs of her came to the attention of online otaku, has made it clear she is unhappy that people might judge her by her looks and not the quality of her manga.

xia-dia-003

xia-dia-001

She is less than delighted with the huge fuss made over her loli looks (she is 28) – “I’d rather people not make a fuss over my looks,” she says.

As a proud and professional mangaka, she seems aghast at the prospect of becoming a mere pin-up for the onanistic attentions of otaku admirers: “My readers have been with me for 5 years. It’s got nothing to do with the fuss online.”

She is of course correct – her translated manga is now serialised in Ultra Jump, and it seems few had any idea what she looked like until very recently.

xia-dia-004

She is also said to be a complete otaku with no interest in anything apart from manga – she spends most of her time drawing manga, eats meals at her computer and reports discomfort at camera flashes thanks to her degraded eyesight.

xia-dia-005

12:00 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh fuck me, she's tsundere too?

Fuck.

05:14 26/03/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

as expected of japan

Comment by Myballz
    12:09 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

She does very good Illustrations if you look at her art.If she said that we were fussing over her looks;Actually, I was shocked that she is 28 years old and yet she looks so young.

Xià Dá nothing personal against you and please don't take this the wrong way.

12:23 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ok if she's so big, can someone freaking scan her work already? Sauce nao.

11:38 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry, lady, physical appearance is inescapable tyranny.

Comment by quipdequip
    10:59 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DakoGuyver said:
    Ok, I can understand that she doesn't want people to be judge by her looks, but she is so freaking cute (>.<). And that is just the truth. I can say that I haven't read any of her works, I have seen some of it, and it is very good.

Tis elementary, dear Watson. Few women would object to being considered pretty, and this case is no exception. But the subject is a grown woman of age 29. It is understandable that she does not want to be called a "Loli" or "Cute Young Girl." Moreover, as a professional manga artist, she would rather be known for the art that she has dedicated her life to, than the superficial qualities of her appearance.

My detective work has led me to believe that Xia Da is, through her work, a relatively mature and sophisticated thinker. Such a woman would not want to be the sexual idol of perverted otaku - would you not agree?

12:36 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

seeing girls like her , there is still hope <3

13:06 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry dear, but people make notice how another person looks, whether they are cute, or ugly. Be glad that your "problem" is being cute.

15:37 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess this means no more photo shoots.

16:10 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DAMN !! It's really hard to find her works
    until now, I only know the titles.. (;.;)

Comment by ranivus
    16:11 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

God dream girl indeed! Fuck all those nasty big oppai bitches... I want a shy hikki cute wife.

...[begin stalker mode]

Comment by Ukonkivi
    08:51 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

motaku96 said:
    She sounds perfect. Marry me!!!

Don't we all want to be involved with her and at least learn more about her right now.;_;
    I know she doesn't want all the focus on looks, but she's finally ensnared me and I can't help but feel like I am getting lost in her mysterious beauty.
    I keep looking at her artwork, but I keep thinking of the magical, hikikomori girl in the blue lolita dress "behind the curtain" making all of it.
    It's sad because no matter how much she wants to be seen for her artwork only and I want to respect that wish, I can't seem to shake this spell off my mind. I just hope after all her hard work people can love her as much as an artist too for her hard work, enough to make up for us who have been entranced by the haunting spell of her charm at this point.;_;

Comment by Ukonkivi
    21:55 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh WTF, I deleted this post. Sorry it's still here.

09:02 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In reality, like any women, she just saying that because she's not interested in any of you damn dirty otakus.

Give her a real man and she'd change her mind anyday.

08:51 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bah... knowing women, they are very likely to not tell the truth in response to attention. We ALL know women loves them some attention.

Or are we seeing a female Kurt Cobain in the making? You do something that no one cared in the beginning and suddenly got famous(Xia da for her looks, Kurt Cobain for dethroning Michael Jackson's album at a time where pop ruled too much). Then you complain about the publicity you get and pressure of the so-called success.

Well.... China doesn't allow possession of firearms as easy as the US, so I don't think we'll ever see her getting overdosed and shoot herself any time soon. You don't like people falling for your looks? WEAR A MASK. A HIDEOUS ONE AT THAT.

01:11 26/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

not working -_-"
    and I, as a women, didn't agree with your statement. I hate people that only looks at my face, saying they love me after they saw my photo, even when they didn't know me at all, only looking at my photo. and I'm not even THAT cute, like Xia Da. I know that there are some women that likes being the center of attention, but not all of us likes it.

Comment by motaku96
    08:17 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

She sounds perfect. Marry me!!!

Comment by Ukonkivi
    08:53 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Comment by Ukonkivi
    08:55 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

God help me, I didn't even make a big deal about this at first, it was just another news story on Sankaku about a semi-interesting person.

Now I think I'm slowly but surely becoming a Xià Dá otaku.;_;

Comment by Dia
    08:14 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not convinced you can have your eyesight degraded living like that.

10:39 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Then you, obviously, are not a serious artist. Believe me, drawing/painting more than 4 hours a day to hone your craft can put some serious strain in the eyes.

08:36 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am reminded of Kiri Komori from SZS :D

I loved her too!

09:15 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

is she supposed to be pretty?

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    10:29 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just color her hair blue and we got ourselves a Konata Izumi..!

Comment by DakoGuyver
    10:35 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Comment by quipdequip
    10:53 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Being "pretty" is not the issue. She doesn't want to be called a "Loli" or "Cute Young Girl" because she's 29. She doesn't want to be known primarily for her looks because, as a manga artist, she takes her work seriously and wants to be known for her art, which she has dedicated her life to.

09:31 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

She's cute, but still a Chinese. I don't like Chinese. Despite some exceptions like her, they are still the enemies of Japan and Japanese people, even more than the Koreans. They are eager for war against Japan, and we all know that China WILL start a war in the more or less distant future.

She should leave China and move to Japan or at least to Japan-loving Taiwan. Because if she would go out in China and many people would know that she likes/loves Japan, 80%+ of Chinese People would beat the shit out of her. A Person who likes Japan is called 汉奸 in China and those people get often killed or tortured.

11:32 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait... what? You can't be serious... What kind of world do you live in? O.O

10:38 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Unfathomable is human stupidity. His post is just a reminder.

Comment by Lily
    09:49 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really hope you're a troll.

11:51 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm going te pretend Lily isn't a troll. in that case, i have 3 words: Rape of Nanking,

09:55 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank you almighty one for all your useless fortune telling.

09:57 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>even more than the Koreans
    Really?

10:04 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't worry you racist. We don't like you either. Now gtfo.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    06:41 04/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

but...she looks so young...

Comment by Bakamoichigei
    04:46 03/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's easy to say "Well, she brought it on herself, taking such pictures!" and it's equally easy to say that "Everyone deserves privacy if they want it!" (Which I happen to agree with.)

It is obvious that she is a VERY talented artist, and I envy her in that regard. (Maybe she could teach me! :3)

But the fact of the matter is, she is also painfully cute. Totally adorable. And I don't mean that in any perverted way, more of an innocent "D'awwww!" sort of way, like I just want to give her a big hug. :3

It blows my mind that she's nearly my age.

As far as girls with a big dose of the 'magical asian youth genes' go, the 'looks 14 until she hits 35' type isn't my thing. I like the 'looks 20 until she hits 40' ones. :3 (But then, of course, I'm not a lolicon.)

05:45 03/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Somehow I doubt confessing to be a total otaku is likely to discourage her new fans.

Comment by Shunrei
    19:28 19/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

..ah..some asian really are younger than their age, not like american, they are younger than their appearance , some of them of course

18:04 02/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, she looks like my brother's ex-gf its unnerving ~.~

Lol 28 yrs old... looking loli at that age sux... im 25 and i always get asked for my ID when i buy cigarettes or liqour

11:53 09/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

She is young but its not so bad to age gracefully I look like a teenager and am in my mid 20's and I'm a guy.

02:35 01/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@artefact where the §$%% did you get the last picture from?. This one http://img2.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/cache/68087__468x_xia-dia-005.jpg

It reminds me of a hentai manga i once read. Please tell me where you got it from. I can't find it anywhere being associated with xia da.

Comment by QuirkZ
    01:00 29/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

She looks amazing! But I can see why she would rather not have people worshiping her. She wants to succed trough her efforts and hardwork rathar then being remembered as shallow and bonified by her hotness

Comment by cupcake_deluxe
    08:15 21/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

She's so cute and her manga looks just as good! I wonder if they've been sold anywhere I can find them.

21:13 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

00:58 25/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope...still gorgeous.

Comment by alex251
    03:03 02/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

now...you ruined the illusions of otakus.
    Maybe they would start to believe 3D > 2D, damn you reality. At least they can peacefully return to worship their 2D waifus :)

19:20 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

she has the looks and the arts to match. maybe 3d > 2d in rare times

Comment by Kelvin
    18:16 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've seen a few female hikis as cute as her. Such a waste they have to be damn kawaii.

18:04 01/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Xià Dá es la chica que me hace dar cuenta del por que yo no estoy equivocado al ser un lolicon.
    Sinceramente, no se le puede llamar hombre a aquel que no se exite con esa preciosidad de mujer y el que no este deacuerdo conmigo, puede ir a mamarse un pene como los maricones que son.

This is all the great truth.

20:44 02/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

pinche joto te gustan los niños o ke???

00:57 02/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

osea que a ti se te para cada vez que vez a una niña?