Xbox 360 Failure Rate 42%, PS3 8%, Wii 1%

xbox-360-rrod.jpg

A survey asking 1.5 million respondents whether their console had suffered a hardware failure has revealed that the Xbox 360 may well have the shameful distinction of being the least reliable console ever made, with a staggering 42% experiencing hardware failures, against 8% for the PS3 and a mere 1% for the Wii.

The results were based on a survey covering 500,000 respondents for each of the big three consoles, delivered online to visitors to a gaming site in 2010.

Efforts were made to prevent duplicate voting and the survey itself appears to have been conducted in a responsible and scientific manner, suggesting the results are quite credible.

The results are as follows:

Has your [console] needed to be repaired or replaced due to fault?

360: 42%

PS3: 8%

Wii: Less than 1%

If so has your [console] needed to be repaired or replaced more than once?

360: 55%

PS3: 12%

Wii: 0%

If so has your [console] needed to be repaired or replaced more than two times?

360: 39%

PS3: 8%

Wii: 0%

If so has your [console] needed to be repaired or replaced more than three times?

360: 12%

PS3: 2%

Wii: 0%

If so has your [console] needed to be repaired or replaced more than four times?

360: 6%

PS3: 1%

Wii: 0%

If so has your [console] needed to be repaired or replaced more than five times?

360: 3%

PS3: 1%

Wii: 0%

The high failure rate on the Xbox 360 is of course connected to the wide variety of problems leading to the infamous “Red Ring of Death.”

Microsoft has previously commented on such problems to the effect that “it’s OK as our warranty is good.”

Supposedly hardware revisions have improved the reliability of the console, but these statistics, coming from 2010, seem to indicate only a marginal improvement from the previously reported 54% failure rate.

Comment by Lucifer
    10:16 19/04/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Hmm, going by the survey, you can't rely on Xbox crap. ¯¯ω¯¯

Comment by Juuza Sama
    19:39 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Its bcuz its made by child slave

16:37 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And that is all second-hand, always to be taken with a grain of salt.

13:16 21/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Break easily, but so easy to pirate games on, who cares.

Xbox360 is so inferior on every single level, but just buy some dual layered discs and burn whatever you want to play.

Who the fuck cares if you can't go online, you don't have to pay for anything.

05:17 03/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

except your crappy console.

Comment by BlaqCat
    23:00 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn...Wii is some serious business. Had no idea they were this reliable....but when I think about it, my PS3 had to go in for optical drive failure, and my Xbox has RROD'd twice, my Wii...merely sits triumphantly.

15:27 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wii would be god if they had better games that isn't for kids.

11:11 29/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No More Heroes, House of the Dead: Overkill, MADWORLD

yep wii is just for babys

15:54 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

BUMP for the truth. they only have metroid zelda and mario. People just play those games for the gameplay cuz honestly... story wise... same old shit. People are just cozy with them since they grew up with them thats all

14:03 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

my WII broke @_@

19:03 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@aliaus

I've played plenty of games on my wii for 6 hours at a time. I've also had it longer than my other consoles this gen and it's had no problems. It really is a weak system specs wise but it's built well in terms of cooling and damage protection.

21:48 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wiis are made of Nintendium, like the old gameboys.

It's to plastic what adamantine is to metal.

17:44 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@aliaus

i honestly doubt that since my wii is mainly used for wiifit (not me, my parents) and i can say that they use it a hell of a lot more than most people game on the xboxes and ps3s

Comment by coldfire01
    17:19 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@aliaus not really
    some wii has USB external HDD connected to it.
    by doing so protects the lens from wear and tear.

giving more lifespan for the wii.

Your wii must have gathered dust since you dont know such technology even existed.

Comment by flood
    14:19 23/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The reason why Wii's got 1%, is cuz no one plays the fucking Wii anymore.

also

What the fuck is with the survey? The questions don't make SENSE!!! "If so has your [console] needed to be repaired or replaced more than once?" IS THE SAME AS "If so has your [console] needed to be repaired or replaced more five times?"!! Oh wait, I was wrong... There IS a difference.. ahahah.

xbox SUX!! It doesn't even deserve capital letters!

02:08 20/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

my WII broke @_@

...with...? a bomb? a hammer? threw it against a wall, because you couldn't complete stage 1?

14:43 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sucks to be that 1 percent

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    15:24 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just remember that you have to throw the nunchuk, not the console, and you should be okay.

15:53 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

HAHAHA. I actually never realized that.

Comment by Aliaus
    15:35 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

wii only has a low percent because it is played less frequently for shorter periods of time...

14:26 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Jasper and (to a lesser degree) Falcon 360 consoles were very under-represented in this poll, since those two hardware revisions are less likely to fail. Users can't (or shouldn't) report consoles that don't fail. So basically, what this poll is saying, is that pre-Falcon 360 consoles have a ~42% failure rate, which is no surprise. But the actual failure rate of all 360 consoles is far lower than that, due to Jasper and Falcon 360s having higher reliability (which has been proven).

The % of PS3 failures is also inflated in this poll, since the PS3 consoles most likely to fail are 20gb and 60gb systems. So newer and more reliable PS3 hardware revisions (like the Slim) were very under-represented.

As for the Wii, the main issue is keeping WiiConnect24 on, which is something the users have far more control over. Many Wii owners have probably never turned WiiConnect24 on at all. If every Wii owner had kept their Wiis plugged in and with WiicConnect24 on since the day they bought it, we would be seeing a far larger % of Wiis failing.

19:50 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

im so glad there's no ps2 on list lol

20:37 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

actually this poll is saying that it has a much higher than 42% failure rate. I am not good enough at math to be exact but if 42% of people have experienced a failure and 55% of that 42% have experienced a second failure that bumps the rate way way up to around 60% would be my guess. which despite hardware revisions that by all acounts were done reluctantly makes the crapbox 360 one of the worst machines to ever darken store shelves.

09:41 20/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hardware revisions are never done "reluctantly", regardless of which console manufacturer we're talking about.

Hardware revisions allow the manufacturer to use fewer and more efficient parts, which allow the hardware to be smaller and lighter, which reduces shipping and manufacturing costs, which translate into a smaller/cheaper/more reliable console for the consumer.

It's all about the money.

09:16 20/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How do your know Jasper/Falcon 360's are underrepresented? The J/F 360's came out late 2008 it's 2010 now I think 42% is an accurate number and thus reflected compared to the 54% survey taken mid 2009(though that survey only used 5000 people compare to this one, 1.5 mil people)
    For the PS3 kind of sort of agree, being inflated due to the 20/60gb PS3 doesn't hold much weight anymore since they were discontined in 2007 and I think it is possible that PS3 may well be underrepresented debuting just under a year ago.

Also the guy who said the failure rate is actually higher is right, because of second and third failure it should bump up the number

14:32 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I would also like to add that it would be very difficult for someone to walk into a store today and buy one of the older/less-reliable consoles. Almost every 360 on store shelves right now is a Jasper, and almost every PS3 is a Slim. Dunno if Nintendo fixed the WiiConnect24 issue yet though, but that's easily avoided by informed consumers.

Anyways, the moral of this poll = be wary of buying older models of current-gen consoles used.

14:18 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder how many of those people even use their Wii more than once or twice a month, 360 and PS3 gamers I would imagine log a lot more hours.

Comment by Riiku
    14:06 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, you really can read!

The only reason why 360 is worth anything is because I can pirate the shit out of it, but then if it breaks, no one would repair it for me. And given the fact that today PS3 shares most of the good games on par with 360, there's really no reason to buy 360 anymore.

18:57 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The survey site didn't mention if the results were normalised against active time, or hardware / firmware versions. Hence I wouldn't take the actual numbers too seriously or consider it a representative of current versions, but the positions certinally seem right. Everyone I know, but 1, with a 360 has had it RROD on them, most of the same people have a PS3 and the failure rates are smaller, minimal with Wii. From what they've told me though, normalised against play time, the old version failure rates are close, probably around 60-40 360-PS3.

Guess we'll just have to wait till someone does a decent survey which actually takes some of the factors which may affect it into account.

19:15 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

forgot to add (wii-strap failure rate)

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    18:25 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i never regretted buying my PS3

18:15 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Broken and have to pay to play online at the same time? lol. OWNED! I don't have a console but I just hate how pathetic Xbots are... Quit whining in forums little trolls!

18:23 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the 360 is a waste of money

18:28 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Xbox360 indeed has/had higher failure rate, but at least MS admitted it was their fault and extended warranty. What does Sony do after they screw up with their hardware or firmware (in a way that breaks hardware)? They say you to go fuck yourself.

If I were to choose between buying PS3 or Xbox360 it wouldn't be much of a choice, other than going for Xbox360.

22:00 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I blew up 3 Xbox 360's, one Wii, and zero PS3's. Used the PS3 as hard as the 360. Stopped playing the Wii soon after it came out and I lost all my static RAM on the first replacement.

Comment by Kir Royal
    23:11 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this made me laugh

21:44 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

and how many fanboys who dont have a 360 manipulated the poll by just saying their 360 broke even though they dont have one??

I don't trust surveys like this. Though, it's not a secret anymore that the early generations of the 360 are indeed pieces of hardware-trash.

20:13 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My Xbox has yet to fail but I have replaced my Wii twice. Odd?

17:47 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Me:
    PS3 only for exclusives.
    360 for pirating like a mad cunt (saved thousands of €).
    Wii no lol i can emulate that.

16:27 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ive had my wii since day one and its bein on wiiconnect24 ever since, never have i had a prob with it.

16:04 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol I was hoping for that 1% for the PS3 to eventually drop down to 0% leaving Xbox the only one that had to be repaired more than 5 times. =/

16:07 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Love it how Xbox fans still protect their shitty console, just because they bought that one. I have 2 PS3's and 1 Wee in my household and they all work fine. Soon we get the third PS3 for multiplayer with multiple 42" TV's. Sucks to be a blinded Microsoft fanboy. Statistics don't lie....

16:19 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sucks to be a blinded fanboy, you say?

Take some of your own advice or shut up.

16:18 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ahaha. This doesn't change how 360's interface owns PS3's.

I was equally disappointed by Home.

If you're not getting a 360 because of the failure rate, you are missing out on some awesome games. I got a PS3 because I wanted to play some awesome games that were exclusive.

You fanboys should just shut up and enjoy a good game.

17:42 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact, can you PLEASE find another useless topic to post 9000 articles about, and then maybe even blow the news completely out of proportion (all in the name of furthering favoritism)?

[/snarky criticism]

It'd be nice if you find more articles like "The Evolution of the Otaku Room." That one was interesting. This one is a big meh. I think you can do better than this... I mean, who can honestly say they give two shits about console failure rates anymore?

Also, try and give up on the Perez Hilton sensationalism bullshit... it's getting quite old.

[/somewhat constructive criticism]

I hope you think about this, Artefact.

But, yeah, PS3 is the only way to go. I've never liked the Xbox360.

Comment by Artefact

Don't worry, I know what I'm doing even if you evidently do not.

23:21 19/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Trolling is a art

02:08 20/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah man, you're an expert at writing boring shit.

Comment by El Chaos
    07:50 20/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Easy peasy traffic 'n hits. Arte has them, and you can't blame him. We fall for it, once and again.

11:18 20/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You criticize and rant, giving your apparent "advice", and yet, your site has how many hits? Oh that's right. None. Hmmm