New K-ON!! OP & EDs Most Impressive

k-on_op_ed_01

The new OP and ED for K-ON!!, which were covered in some detail earlier, have gone up online to the delight of many otaku, giving those who have yet to watch the new show a chance to sample what may be KyoAni’s best TV animation to date (although fans are divided about the music).

The videos are available below, in wonderful HD:

Firstly, the OP:

“GO! GO! Maniac”

By: Afterschool Tea Time Band

As with the first season’s OP, Cagayake Girls!, vocals are by Yui (CV: Aki Toyosaki) and is decidedly the more otaku-flavored of the new songs with Yui’s cute, high pitched girly voice.

The visuals are also a treat; unlike the first season’s OP which was a good amount less engaging (especially compared to the ED), this one deserves a viewing even by those who might not otherwise plan on watching the show.

The ED:

“Listen!!”

By: Afterschool Tea Time Band

Keeping with its first season’s predecessor, the new ED uses vocals by Mio (CV: Youko Hikasa) fitted into some odd goth-loli-ish clothing as its centerpiece.

The baggy-shirt Mio and Yui, plus Mio’s cute hair ribbon, are nice to look at, not to mention the strawberries being held aloft as if they were negi!

Some highlights from the OP and ED:

k-on_new_op_01

k-on_new_op_02

k-on_new_op_03

k-on_new_op_04

We’ve seen Mugi in this dress before!

k-on_new_op_05

k-on_new_ed_01

k-on_new_ed_02

k-on_new_ed_03

In fact a large number of these cuts are based directly on the original manga:

k-on-manga-vs-op-ed-1
k-on-manga-vs-op-ed-4
k-on-manga-vs-op-ed-5
k-on-manga-vs-op-ed-6
k-on-manga-vs-op-ed-7
k-on-manga-vs-op-ed-8
k-on-manga-vs-op-ed-9

06:05 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The OP freaked me out but now i really like it...alot...

06:42 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh opening and closing. So what if the animation is good if the content being animated as bland as fat free sugar free vanilla ice cream? More importantly, the songs are terrible! It's squeek mania followed by blah blah blah nonsense ending. Considering that both songs of the first season were great, this should have been a major focus come season 2.

07:04 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OP sounds terrible, at least the ED is somewhat good. Season 1 OP and ED were much much better musically.

Comment by Guumii
    05:59 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually preferred the first seasons opening to this one.

The ending though is much better.

05:36 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

GOSH, the opening music makes nails scratching on a chalkboard sound like fucking Mozart!

03:58 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I find the opening song decent mostly because of the lyrics.

08:34 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How can you even understand them at the speed they are going?

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    07:39 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the vids are great - with the sound off.

though that one instant where Mio slips on the icy sidewalk was hillarious, i couldn't stop laughing when I first saw it.

Its only the first episode, the music could change in the second episode - which I'm reeely reeeely reeeely hoping it will,.. to something new that reeeely kicks ass!!

o.0*

10:47 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Too bad dude.. Resources don't just pop out of nowhere. Don't expect any new OP.

Comment by Firelord
    07:34 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I belong to the chosen few who love the OP. it's fast, it's heavy and it's catchy, just the way I hoped it would be. I think it's a definite improvement over the first season's OP (which I also liked a lot).

The ED is a huge let-down for me. I find the first season's ED better than this one.

Animation for both songs is quite appealing.

Comment by pluki7
    16:03 10/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The OP is quite avant-garde! I find it enjoyable right away!

Too bad most people are not familiar with progressive music and have not the patience to really listen...

03:53 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you ll buy the singles anyway, and learn to appreciate it.

Comment by Orb
    01:51 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

K-ON is overrated.
    OK, if you like girls with the guitars, I can understand, but seriously, what's been happening to KyoAni's drawing style?

01:54 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I would hardly say that a moe show like this would ever become KyoAni's best show ever. They will be remembered down in history as a leader in the moe boom, but that never will lead to greatness

02:03 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i just can't stand Aki Toyosaki's singing voice for some reason.

00:50 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The animation is good but their old ED outfits were better and more original.
    This ones casual cloth sucks.

Comment by Tovansky
    01:03 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

thx for finding us the 1080 hd clip of it.. I have already found and downloaded the 720p ones, but these ones would be much better for a keepsake :D

03:21 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

FUCK USA AND HIS ANIMATION!. JAPAN IS THE KING OF THE ANIMATION!

03:32 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah I don't think fans are very "divided" on the music behind the op/ed.
    90% of people are probably saying, "Animation was great/good and the ED song was at least bearable but the OP song was just horrible."

03:52 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't say the majority thinks the ED is bearable. The ED is avarage/good, it's the OP that is totally wrong.

But anyway, of all the music I heard in this episode, the one Yui plays at the beginning is my favourite.

00:02 10/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah... Yui's solo at the start was good. I like the OP better than Cagayake Girls. But the new ED just doesn't really catch my attention (yet)

03:11 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This shit sounds like it was sped up 2x

02:41 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

These are both horrible, but OP is so much ear cancer in terms of voice and music itself i had hard time listening to the whole track...

15:59 10/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't like it neither the OP or the ED.
    Is like a crazy rush without aim.

I am divided. Don't say lazy had some kind of drama touch, but now I feel like the songs make no sense at all.

14:35 10/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Where's ma Nodoka

Comment by Itachi377
    09:22 10/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer the Ending song over the OP.

13:19 10/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In my opinion this show is not really my cup of tea cuz I like the more action and adventure type of shows but the songs are just out of this world! and all of the girls have undeniable appeal I can't argue with why it's such a hit I just want to smuggle them all especially azu nyaan in that bathing suit is to die for! mio and her MOE glasses aha it's too much! and yui just being her usual cute self! XD

02:46 11/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If only the OP song is sung by Yoko Hikasa instead of Aki Toyosaki and played a little bit slower, it might be better :D

But I think the song instrument is far better than being vocalized.

13:49 11/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As usual. Nice animation, but the fail character design makes it all a waste... I don't know why they strayed from the character designs from the manga for the two series. The manga designs are less homogeneous and much cuter...

Music's horrible though. The OP sounds like something made by a high school club with access to professional equipment. And vocaloid software... ED's slightly better but only due to the better singing voice...

01:55 02/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lucky star is shit

Comment by Ghostchase
    18:15 11/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I liked the new music. Everyone is looking extremely sexy in the ED. Mugi-chan 4 ever

Comment by NobleX
    01:14 12/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

new OP and ED? they look and sound the same to me...

Comment by dzodzu
    12:02 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They did a nice job on animations, more or less I've been expecting from KyoAni, but indeed I didn't like the soundtrack in OP. By the way, speaking of openings and endings did you see new opening of Naruto or Durara, anyone? Love new ending of Durara, this 3D effect is impressive.

Comment by Barbarian of Gor
    10:46 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, are we going to talk about fans getting "The equipment" but just to have them in a "Shrine"?

On the keyboard, it's a KORG Triton. Hasn't been made for a while, it's a classic. So this'll increase the E-Bay price of 'em...

That would almost make me fume, but personally, I want to get a KORG KARMA (the red keyboard) but I'll probably get the modern equivalent, the M3... I'd also get a KORG Oaysys, or Yamaha Tyros, but those are a step above even in the second hand market. Just making do with software and MIDI controllers for now.

Pretty interesting, though.

I thought Japanese pop culture was totally commercial. That they'd make sure they had one that was being produced currently.

10:37 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lawl not even 2 days and both yt and nico are flooded with guitar covers of the ED and OP.
    skilled ppl.

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    09:55 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think any of you youngsters will have noticed, but the first riff from Yui in the opening seems to me a hommage to the Beatles from a Hard Days Night.

As I'm sure the older otaku here would probably notice it as well.

The ED track is okay, it grows on you. But it doesn't rock like Don't Say Lazy.

Oh well, cheers all!!!
    o.o

Comment by pluki7
    16:34 10/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hard Days Night? Which part? It's more like Zappa to me.

The ED has a more relaxed mood compared to Don't Say Lazy. I like both, love the variety. I'd be bummed if they came up with Don't Say Lazy II for the new ED...

Comment by motaku96
    12:08 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice comparison pics. I personally don't like the new op as much as the old but I'll take a closer look at it now. Maybe I'm missing the big picture.

I really love the new ED. A worthy successor to don't say lazy.

23:03 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fck.. The song is now stuck in my head.... That full version better have a longer intro cause that's what is keeping me from listening to this over and over.

AWESOME INTRO! The singing... I got used to it with the repetition of the song.

Comment by xzeldax3
    17:07 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the opening song is pretty bad and cheesy. the ending is really good on the other hand. and the animation is gorgeous!!

Comment by Nos3bleed
    14:22 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The S2 OP/ED songs aren't as good as S1 but the new OP is already starting to grow on me. Once I got over the initial shock of it being so fast and squeaky I started to like it.

00:30 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Now that I listened to it in a much clearer one, the instrumental of the OP is actually good!

Though the fast pace song and the singing from a character voice just doesn't make a good first impression.

Need instrumentals now!!!

20:03 08/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Preggy Mugi or Megane Mio ...

Can I has both *-*

Comment by appztetra
    20:06 08/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sang by alvin and the chipmunks...

20:11 08/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hate to say that, but the opening is a MESS. Sure, it is visually outstanding, but what the hell happened to the music!? My ears are not pleased.

20:35 08/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree when she sings the chorus, her voice is SO high pitched. Other than that, it's fine.

Still, I'm tired of hearing that Alvin and the Chipmunks joke. It hasn't been 3 days since K-ON!! started and it's already gotten VERY old.

Comment by Cheerful
    20:02 08/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The actual videos for the OP and ED were definitely an improvement, but I think I enjoyed the OP and ED of the first season a bit more for the most part. Other than that the presentation was pretty good. Can't wait for the rest of the season.

19:57 08/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The animation kind of blows.

05:25 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It wasn't awful, but people claiming it's outstanding or a standard setter need to get out and watch more.

23:28 08/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Animation was great in my opinion. Vast improvement from the first season and much better than the competitors.

I actually don't know where they found the budget to make the first episode so good. I hope they didn't blow the whole budget on that first episode. The show is as empty as it always was, but that's not why people watch it.

Comment by Shalala
    19:56 08/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I didn't like the season 2 op and ed. The op was toooo high pitch for my likings.