“Anime Has Reached a Dead End” = “K-ON!”

k-on-animage

“TV anime’s current system is stuck at a dead end” – so says this topical TV programme, but why are they holding up a picture of two K-ON! moeblobs?

The programme also presents some dubious statistics:

anime-per-week

How many shows do you watch each week?

0 – 10%

1 – 30%

2 – 10%

3 – 11%

4 – 4%

5+ – 35%

anime-anticipation

What do you look forward to most in your anime?

1. Emotion – 42%

2. Adventure & action – 17%

3. Other – 17%

4. Comedy – 13%

5. Moe – 6%

6. Suspense/thrill – 5%

However, many suspect a bit of mass media media fabrication may be at play – no “ero” is present in the results, and most would expect the results for “emotion” and “moe” to be reversed.

That the industry built up around vapid moe has collapsed from oversupply and lack of quality is of course by now old news, not that this makes things any less painful for K-ON! fans.

Comment by Redsky
    21:23 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I like K-ON for its music. K-ON! inspired me to create Anime Music Service for Anime fans. Visit: http://www.anime-beats.com [www.anime-beats.com]

It's 100% free and there is more than 1000 songs already. Enjoy!

22:06 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Stop advertising your shitty site.

22:09 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As much as I enjoyed K-ON, I don't get why people keep on over hyping it. It's a nice slice of life but it's really not a peak of anything.

With that said, I certainly hope we're not suck here.

Comment by Kelvin
    23:42 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My first ero anime is ... sorry, too much ero anime that i forgot how it all started. However, every time I watch an ero anime i go like =_= and sometime -_-'
    I find it addictive but not interesting.

Emotion anime....lol, I remembered how I used to watch Korean drama like Cruel Temptation. My mom bought the DVD with 100+ episode and I watched it without stopping. Same goes to emo anime like Clannad & AIR & Kanon. People nowadays are getting very emotional.

15:56 21/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol I dont like it either but I find myself addicted to To-Love-Ru...

22:49 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sick of the unoriginal ones that read like a checklist of tired fetishes. It's like "Maid...check. Childhood friend...check. Nekomimi...check. Tsundere...check. Burikko...check. Miko...check." etc, like the product is more about having at least one of each than actually having been written for a decent plot.

18:21 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If all 6 of those are evenly distributed in an anime, thats good enough

Comment by GHS
    18:25 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The effects of economy at work, in this case a moe economy. If there is an over-supply, demand will fall until supply falls with it.

17:23 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As long they don't stop making anime like Baccano or Durara! I don't care how many moe anime they release <_<

Comment by KinTAmA
    16:36 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is old news.
    The quality of anime has been on the decline for years, it just recently people are fed up with this moe crap.

Comment by Firelord
    19:01 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Quality is a subjective thing. I find most contemporary art to be absolute crap, but other people find it ingenious and beautiful. You can't argue with taste.

K-On! is a comedy with slice of life elements. After a hard day's work, I'd gladly sit down to watching 5 girls sip tea and eat cakes all day while playing a bit of music in between. The last thing on my mind then would a show with lots of high tension and where people blow each other's brains out or where I need to think for hours to finally understand a bit of what's going on. I can watch those when I'm in the mood for that.

If you want more serious anime, go watch those then, still plenty to go around. The moe fad will subside eventually and make way for something else to complain about, it's been that way since the whole anime business started.

20:23 18/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Taste is subjective, opinion is subjective. Quality is objective - may you like it or not.

Comment by motaku96
    15:13 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

K-On! gets bashed so much for no good reason. If they're gonna judge animes decline, why don't you mention the 15 other shows that weren't even worth watching or talking about. But nope, it's always K-On!'s fault isn't it. They just do it to stir up more controversy.

15:46 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

K-On! wasn't even worth watching. It was only watchable to otakus who desired to see moe blobs, which apparently is a great deal of otakus.

20:21 18/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Because it's the major example and the symbol of what happening to the industry, K-on! (and hikkikomori bastards)gets bashed for spearheading the moe-boom.

01:52 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Because it's always easier to simply bash something old than actually come up with something intelligent.

20:11 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

kakifly must be really proud - he's brought down an entire industry :lol

20:02 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The more moe, fanservice and ecchi material an anime has, the more superficial and less memorable it is.

We need our share of deep, meaningful anime with people crying manly tears over the anguish of existance.

Comment by alex251
    19:29 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

“Anime Has Reached a Dead End” = “K-ON!”
    ...so true, so damn true... :)
    if K-ON has to be among the best animes then it's the end, the end people :)

20:23 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah

how about you quit watching anime, so I can continue enjoying my stuff without getting to see your pointless comments

Comment by alex251
    21:18 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have quit, Anon, I have quit watching bad animes :)

“TV anime’s current system is stuck at a dead end – but why are they holding up a picture of two K-ON! moeblobs?"
    - just think about that for a second :)

03:47 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"but why are they holding up a picture of two K-ON! moeblobs?"

cause they're just showing a random anime magazine which happens to have K-On on its cover, dumbass

just think about that for a year and come back

11:07 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

People all have a right to their opinion whether they agree with you or not. Indifference with your opinion should not result in said comment to be pointless.

12:16 18/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Moe is not the problem, is the stupid freacks japan otakus.

00:29 18/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why should the 'emotion' and 'moe' percentage be reversed? Note also the percentage that watches 5 shows or more a week versus those at 1 show.

What this says is the actual numbers of people who watch 'moe' are low, they're just FANATICS who make up a far disproportionate volume/voice/market.

I might remind you that when magazines like Newtype do ratings of anime with the general public in Japan (NOT otaku!) the top titles are always still classics like Doraemon, Lupin or Gundam from 20 years ago. In the past ~10 years only Evangelion even registers on radar with the real Japanese public.

Comment by Y10NRDY
    08:59 19/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow. What an accurate post.

(sic)

04:08 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

anime is dead to me

its all moe and schoolgirls and no substance,

fuck it with a stick

04:52 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What exactly is the point here? Moe being at the bottom doesn't mean they don't care about "moe". It just means it's not the top choice of the people polled (and note that it's very important who and how many exactly were polled). This isn't anywhere near as telling as if you had people rank the things on that list.

Emotion is incredibly vague and so is "moe". I don't know whether that's just the translation but it could mean absolutely anything in English. In fact, from what I understand moe and emotion could easily mean the same thing.

What does K-ON have to do with this? K-ON encompasses "emotion", "moe", and "comedy". I liked it for it's "comedy and I honestly have no idea what people mean when they say "moe". I don't think anyone knows what it means.

05:43 18/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Moe" here generally means "Show with a mostly cute female cast that I don't like".

Comment by Myballz
    01:39 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh well Moe and K-on fans together going ape shit on the news!

05:27 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you guys forget that K-on best episode is the last episode? And that episode made me all emotional...

16:59 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I found K-on entertaining as a watch-just-once anime. You guys painting it out as the embodiment of everything wrong in anime are exaggerating [Although I admit it adds to the problem], and are yourselves victims of Artefact's own "fabrication of perception".

Though I shouldn't really say victims, for if you let Artefact's opinion become your own without trying to form your own impression of it, then you're just another cog in the machinery rather than the product.

Comment by alex251
    06:54 18/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

but if the people say that K-ON is shit, that's the proof that they really watched at least one episode :(

12:39 18/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't say it's 'proof' if they are doing what I think most are [not forming their own impression and instead adopting other's opinion as their own], but it's certainly a likely possibility. I acknowledge they could have genuinely disliked the series, but repeating the chant that "it's shit" is hardly an indication of insight into a known topic [K-on in this case]

Also, in the same way a single chapter is not an accurate representation of a complete book, or a survey of 1000 people is not a representation of the opinion of 110 million people, a single episode does not accurately represent the whole series.

Be that as it may, I do not think K-on is anything more than a regular anime. Maybe 'good' if you take into account its target audience, but for me it's regular.

15:54 21/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

How about I just say I got bored of it? Nothing interesting really happening, a pantsu flash there, a perverted moment here, etc. It keeps going for 13 eps or so.
    They need to put more stuff out thats interesting and new, like Death Note for example.

07:40 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why are they holding K-ON up? Because it's a mess of boring cliches.

14:38 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Main stream Anime production targeted at the sexual fetishes and emotional insecurities of Japanese otaku is a recipe for disaster in the long term for anime quality and acceptance as more than a medium for otaku pervs.

14:20 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

K-On! and the other moe shit are the cancer thats killing the anime.

Comment by magi
    09:34 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"感動" in this case I think rather then "emotion" its being "moved" emotionally.

09:39 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hrmmm... isn't this news implying that K-ON! simply has a lot of emotions within?

Comment by An Otaku's Opiate
    12:14 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think K-ON has a lot of anything within it.

15:42 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

no, i don't mean you. i mean this news.

09:43 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

eh? i can't see why this is painful for K-ON! fans... season 2 isn't going to be canceled, is it?

Comment by basilio
    09:33 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ero and emotions are interchangeable.

If you feel despair, you cry tears of sadness. If you feel happy, you cry tears of joy. If you're aroused, you cry white tears from another...... source.

Comment by Yuuyu
    09:26 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This whole thing has me going "huh?"

I grant this as much credibility as a random middle-of-nowhere local newspaper's surveyed opinions on what the main dangers of nuclear reactors are. NONE!

20:09 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think these are just some old farts who see their memories all pink shaded. People always think stuff used to be better - but that's bullshit.
    It used to be hard to find anime with a good story that you'd actually like. Now you have to be selective or you won't have time for anything else left.

09:49 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What do I look forward to most in my anime?

Enjoyment, of course. What else? You may put any of those 6 stuffs up there but if the show turns out to be nothing enjoyable and all those six elements aren't executed nicely, it won't mean anything.

Comment by Cheerful
    10:16 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's just skeptics talking about how K-On!'s second season could fall flat on its face since the "moe bubble has burst" and all K-On! is a "gigantic moe-blob anime."

Yeah well screw the skeptics. Moe will still be moe, despite any bubble bursting. I'm proud enough to say that I am K-On! fan.

16:11 21/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Good for you.

10:23 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If they meant "emotion" as in fappable material, then yes, I'm with the 42%!!

Comment by drunkspiderman667
    10:11 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

im glad moe scored so bad, its time for it to go away. or at least become niche like echhi used to be. we need more
    code geass
    soul eater
    darker than black
    bleach
    one piece
    monster
    ghost in the shell
    black lagoon
    berserk

anime like this will bring the market back up.

20:12 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

cool

I'm not watching any of these

23:57 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I know a few others who read Sankaku who read this and went lolwtf? Simply put. . . no. Some of those are nice, but quite honestly, if they tried to remake Code Geass or expand on it, it'd probably become crap.
    Bleach and One Piece, seeing those two makes me wonder if you even watch any good anime (IMO some of the worst animes on the planet)
    I doubt you even understand how the market works. Moe currently does its job because the otaku market that actually PAYS for their anime DVD boxes love it. And that's who most Studios/Artists/Directors etc want to appeal to. The people who'll buy their DVD box sets and merchandise.

00:06 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you sound like a bandwagon kid based on the animes you listed. watch a few not so great animes while watching a few cool ones that became very popular.
    =( that bleach and one piece really killed any chance of me respecting your opinion.

16:10 21/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I know whats wrong with Bleach, but One Piece? :O

17:08 17/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My, how boring it would be if all anime were fighting shonen, so I do not concur with your list, specially not on Code Geass. Ghost in the Shell now I agree with that, we don't have enough of those type of anime nowadays.

P.S. Yes I know not all in your list are fighting shonen anime, but most them are.

16:09 21/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Some also serve as a comedy series. Anyway shounen can include anything, like mysteries, drama, etc. They give a moral lesson, unlike moeblobs. Basically hes saying the world needs more stuff like that.
    Also the shoujo genre needs to step up its game and give us something good. Stuff that also give a moral lesson. But please dont let it be like Twighlight ;_;

Comment by DieHardjagged
    10:29 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Im still waiting for that new Berserk Anime, i still dont know if its true, so..
    But we need more of that.

Comment by H-Ero
    10:38 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd rather Berserk be made into a long running OAD series. If they make another tv anime then each episode would be censored like crazy.

21:58 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In the Case of Berserk I agree completely. A long running OVA/OAD or whatever you call it, would be outstanding. The mangs itself is releasing slowly, so most of us are used to long waits.

20:13 18/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Same here, but I have my doubts if Berserk would be able to pull a Legend of the Gallatic Heroes.

Comment by H-Ero
    10:35 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"we need more...bleach"

You best be trolling.

Comment by Shi nai weaboo
    12:21 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He'd best be

12:07 16/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL at needing more Bleach, One Piece, and Soul Eater