Top 10 Ways of Looking Cute to Guys

azusa-nakano-maid-by-colorful314

Japanese asked to rank the most commonly perpetrated techniques for appearing cute yield up a list which might well double as a “how to feign being a schoolgirl” ranking.

Those looking to appear cute or wishing to dissect the carefully honed techniques of the Japanese maiden may find the list instructive.

The ranking:

1. Pretend you don’t get dirty jokes

2. Look at him cutely with upturned eyes

3. ♡Use lots of emoticons and deco-characters in your mails♡ (´・ω・`)

4. Speak to him with your voice at a higher than normal pitch

5. Smile quietly after nonchalantly telling him what troubles you

6. Coordinate light pink and white

7. Make sure you have plenty of forelock

8. Speak at a leisurely pace

9. Doubtfully lean your head to one side when asking a question

10. Cover your mouth when laughing

Other behaviours thought to increase cuteness mentioned include standing pigeon toed, hair fiddling, sticking out the tongue when messing something up, saying “yoisho” when lifting objects up, and running up to small animals or children.

Making a “duckface” expression is also mentioned, perhaps explaining certain mysteries.

To the Japanese these traits are encapsulated in the term “burikko” (ぶりっ子), a cutesy, childlike woman considered the pinnacle of feminine desirability by a significant subset of Japanese men.

In sum, the secret to appearing cute to Japanese men is apparently thought to be affecting the behaviour of a 10-year-old girl, perhaps not the most shining endorsement of the tastes of Japanese of either gender, at least where “cuteness” is concerned.

Comment by Callysto
    00:14 12/03/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

I'm Tsundere and I have a foul mouth, love a good hard drink. And roughing it up.
    The cutesy dress up charm only comes when I want/need something from someone who otherwise wouldn't give it to me.

20:18 21/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Pretending not to get dirty jokes would annoy me because it's fake. It's not cute to pretend you don't know things you do. It's how you react even if you do understand that makes you cute.

Speaking at a leisurely pace (slower than normal, or they wouldn't mention it) would make her sound like a retard.

And when Japanese girl's spoke at a pitch that was obviously higher than normal I wished I had earplugs. It is cute in other countries, but in Japan they exaggerate the high pitch so much it makes you want to rip your ears off.

02:50 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I've been called cute many times, and I do none of these. I get them for:

- I look my age/younger *cough not a tanorexic binge drinker who slaps on 50 pounds of make-up cough*
    - I'm short and thin
    - I dress in a cute/elegant way *not like I cost 5$for a ride*
    - I smile a lot (it's not even conscious)
    - not afraid to make fun of myself
    - I blush easily
    - I'm easily tickled and overpowered *weaklings are cute apparently*
    - I'm not a heartless calculating bitch

In my experience women who do the stuff in the japanese list are fake as heck. No grown woman does that stuff naturally. Especially the fake voice. Western women don't do high pitched, but they do that gag-sweet, sort of talk-to-your-pet-or-a-baby voice. All the women who had that affected voice that I've met, are huge bitches.

19:47 05/05/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You sound exactly like my ex-gf of over 4 years.
    So unless you're her there ARE other girls like her! My faith in finding someone again I love restored. Can't stand normal girls for 10 seconds.

Comment by TheBeast
    10:08 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sounds like a real lady. i like her already. anon-2:50

11:59 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well said, completely well said.

Comment by Night
    00:11 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

1. Be loli.
    2. Be tsundere.
    3. Wear maid clothes.

Now that works for me.

Apart from that, I think that I'd find everything on the original list excluding 1, 8 and 9 annoying, especially if it doesn't fit her.

12:47 26/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

loli clothes are so expensive T____T

Comment by Zeta986
    16:35 15/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice one bro

Comment by Fullmoon01~
    22:04 26/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

1. Pretend you don’t get dirty jokes
    -hell no! I AM the one who tells the dirty jokes!

2. Look at him cutely with upturned eyes
    -waitwhut

3. ♡Use lots of emoticons and deco-characters in your mails♡ (´・ω・`)
    -meh, sometimes. not to the point where someone wont be able to understand it

4. Speak to him with your voice at a higher than normal pitch
    -my voice is already high-pitched, anymore than that and it'll sound like a baby animal!

5. Smile quietly after nonchalantly telling him what troubles you
    -I listen to people who I don't dislike

6. Coordinate light pink and white
    -I don't like pink

7. Make sure you have plenty of forelock

8. Speak at a leisurely pace
    -I hate it when people talk too slow...pick up the pace!

9. Doubtfully lean your head to one side when asking a question

10. Cover your mouth when laughing
    -I just do that naturally

god, I am such a cute woman! XD

12:11 17/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

MARRY ME MY SWEET MAPLE SYRUP XD

09:36 01/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

that's just creepy...

01:02 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The only one I like and agree is #6

01:08 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I like those tips when the girls doesn't look to obvious that they're faking it, btw I love when they wear white and pink :D

Comment by John Beak
    03:35 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Japan sure is a lolicon nation. Just see how many female names end in -ko (written using the kanji for "child").
    Parallel in English follows: "*awful American accent* Hey, Baby!"

Comment by Stiyl-Magnus19
    04:28 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Another stupid top...

03:09 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1, 9, and 10 are the only the only ones that I can do ; A ;.
    Boys get annoyed when you use emotions..
    just to let you know

01:40 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wouldn't work for me. I'd politely suggest to her to act her age if she tried any of those suggestions on me. Ladies, you can blame my ex for making me this jaded now.

01:38 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Disgusting otakus.

01:25 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yawn... here goes me trying to be a jerk.

1. Pretend you don’t get dirty jokes - Yawn... fine, I won't use any, and pretend I'm too dumb to use 'em.

2. Look at him cutely with upturned eyes - Uh, excuse me, but are you trying to scan me for unhandsome deformities?

3. ♡Use lots of emoticons and deco-characters in our mails♡ (´・ω・`) - Too much will kill. Don't ask who gets the death flag.

4. Speak to him with your voice at a higher than normal pitch - Uh, I got pretty bad hearing, but did you just say you want me to choke you?

5. Smile quietly after nonchalantly telling him what troubles you - Okay...

6. Coordinate light pink and white - PINK! IT BURNS! MY EYES! Seriously, just white is fine.

7. Make sure you have plenty of forelock - Not important really, especially if I think that doesn't suit you.

8. Speak at a leisurely pace - Okay, but you're not getting anywhere if you bore me enough.

9. Doubtfully lean your head to one side when asking a question - Good move, but I'm a jerk who probably doesn't look at you whenever either you or me are talking, so sorry for ignoring that,

10. Cover your mouth when laughing - Nice move. At least I won't get your flu - BUT HEY WAIT! NO SALIVA FOR ME!?

23:50 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This fake cuteness stuff is a bunch of crap. The Japanese bastards who wrote that stuff about cuteness, don't know anything more about real cuteness than they do about fornicating.

06:00 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Faking the personality of a preschooler with a learning disability is about as attractive as when women act like completely, horny sluts. Your milage may vary depending on your culture.

Comment by flood
    19:54 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

FUTA:
    The Federal Unemployment Tax Act (or FUTA, 26 U.S.C. ch.23) is a United States federal law that imposes a federal employer tax used to fund state workforce agencies.

XDXDXD

(sorry that was off topic)

Comment by Fonzer
    20:04 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i first though the title said top 10 ways for guys to be cute XD

Comment by Actar
    20:05 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree to the list and find nothing annoying. But that's probably because I'm a very open-minded person.

20:44 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

what happened to showing up naked with a pack of beer?

21:08 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

and a paddle?

23:48 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

cute != sexy

20:14 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>4. Speak to him with your voice at a higher than normal pitch

God no, i slap her so hard she'll go back in time.
    Annoying bitch

00:19 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's why you are likely single and a virgin.

20:07 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's more like 10 ways of looking cute for men who want retarded women...

22:43 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't agree more. Probably the list is made up of retarded otakus.

Comment by TheBeast
    10:04 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

careful, otakus roam in packs. they might take your underwear and sniff it. even if you're a guy.

01:04 27/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This made me lol.

19:49 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i cover my mouth when i laugh :/ but im a guy :/

Comment by A_Moose
    23:14 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's polite.

19:44 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah!! I agree to what the guy above me said

19:28 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Really? I hate women that try and act "cutsey" it's just really annoying and makes me want to walk away from them in an instant.

Cute is when they have a sparkling personality without having to try acting "stupid" (which is basicaly what the list is saying)

Comment by A_Moose
    23:14 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Could someone please explain the near-obsession Japan has with standing pigeon-toed?

00:00 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

(censored, 2nd try)
    It makes them look not so much short-legged?

23:52 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It makes them look not as much short-legged as they are?

Comment by Riiku
    22:40 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I could compose top 10 list of looking macho for males, but it would be too boring and easy.

21:30 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"4. Speak to him with your voice at a higher than normal pitch"

There have been researches that say the female voice activates the brain areas that correspond to irritation and annoyance sensations (that's reason why they use it for alert voices in GPS and aircrafts).

If you use your voice higher than a normal pitch, the guy will more likely get angry when you talk with him and find you annoying.

For me, the only ones that are naturally acceptable are 8 and 9, the others are ridiculous if the girl is past 16 y.o. and will most likely make me think she is just stupid.

00:04 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's why we all prefer our women to have deep, burly voices?

01:32 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So you get annoyed at women who wear white and pink and have a lot of forelock?

22:17 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

girls are cute just by being natural
    be yourselft and if it is the one he will find u cute.

22:15 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A roommate once asked me how to look cute and I pretty much gave her this list. She didn't believe a word I said!

03:40 15/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ugh, I hate when guys expect you to act like a little girl. How demeaning.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    23:12 14/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>>1. Pretend you don’t get dirty jokes
    Most of these I am unimpressed by. And this one I actually greatly dislike.