nashville-tn-wii-shooting-gun

A 3-year-old girl has accidentally shot and killed herself after allegedly mistaking a loaded pistol for a Wii controller.

The girl’s stepfather reportedly he went out to investigate what he thought to be a trespasser on his Tennessee property, taking with him his semi-automatic pistol. Another version of events has him going out to scare away dogs.

When he returned, he claims he left the loaded gun on a living room table. His step-daughter is said to have subsequently mistook the weapon for a Wii controller and accidentally shot herself in the abdomen. The wound proved fatal and she was pronounced dead at hospital.

Media reports stress that “the game’s controller was shaped like a gun that looked very similar to the real handgun.”

Police are said to be investigating but have not filed any charges as a result of the incident.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this case is how easily mentioning video games in conjunction with a child’s death apparently deflects all media attention away from the stepfather’s decision to leave a loaded pistol within reach of an unsupervised 3-year-old child.

Comment by Lebowski
    05:52 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the stepf-father might have shot her and blamed it on the game to devert attention

05:47 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Its obvious the stepfather shot the kid

05:33 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Puhleeease.

a 3 year old won't even be able to hold, aim and shoot a gun.

EVEN IF SHE WERE able to.

Why would she confuse it with a Wii remote? What the hell is the father doing letting his kid play with gun games before she can even make correct sentences?

Sounds Fishy to me, but of course, videogame bashing at its best.

So much for Free Press.

From Argentina,Cheers;
    Niker

06:24 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Most excellent. We should use the girl as an example of what happens when parents don't teach their kids muzzle control and trigger discipline at a young age.

Comment by mtallmen_184
    06:17 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I find this humorous.

05:33 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

in america toy guns are prohibited from being made to look like real guns (i.e. black). the fact that they had this means that they probably got it from some chinese web site or other such thing.
    this is why nerf guns are yellow.
    also because if cops saw a kid with that black wiimote they'd have to shoot the kid. shame on the parents for:
    A) zero gun safety! lock up your guns!
    B) zero toy safety. don't buy things that look like guns!

05:31 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait what?

First, what is a 3 year old girl doing unsupervised.

2nd, Why would she have a Wii Gun controler? She's barely 3 years old and the father already bought her resident evil or some such?

3rd, Why would the father leave a handgun in front of his daughter?

4th, Why would she aim at herself with a gun? even a toy gun?

5th, What the FAWK has the father to say about all this?

6th, Not-Amazingly, everyone will now bash Wii for this.

7th, A 3 year old girl, will not even be able of aiming a gun at itself. It should weigh too much in my opinion, She wouldn't even be able to aim and shoot it.

8th, All in all, God bless America.

From Argentina, Cheers;
    Niker

04:50 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

While I do not disagree that the Wii controller looks like a gun, but he only has himself to blame. Because who the heck leaves a loaded gun with toddler around? He even leaves it where the toddler can have easy access to it. He is probably just one of those looking for compensation for own mistakes.

05:08 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How about they stop making guns that look like game controllers? How about that?

Fucking idiots.

05:27 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No offense but a gun in the reaches of a 3 year???????????

is that stepfather that retarded.

06:24 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The controller was painted black and it looks like it was modified a little to resemble a real handgun. I cannot believe people actually blame Nintendo for this. Even a 3 year old has the ability to differentiate between objects. Even I had to take a second look.

07:32 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...Tragic
    (Opening bomb bay doors)

What the F does he think he is doing leaving his F'ing gun laying on the F'ing table so then his three year (Censered) can pick it up and F'ing off herself. didn't you hear of F'ing gun locks!?!?!

(F bombs dropped. closeing bomb bay doors and returning to base)

08:31 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As a responsible firearms owner, I have to say, this guy was an idiot. Never leave a loaded firearm unattended. Especially with children in the house.

Comment by Myballz
    06:47 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Most kids at that age can't tell the diffrence between a toy gun and a real gun. I do agree that was the parents fault for puting a gun in a place where a 3 year old can reach it.

I do feel sorry for the man's lost of his child.

06:28 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

FAIL
    What I can't believe is that everyone seems to so easily credit the girl with being so unimaginably stupid as to shoot herself in the abdomen with a Wii remote to begin with. Mistaking a gun for a remote is not too bright, either, but I guess since she's three that's on the borderline of credibility.
    But yeah, the dude probably shot her. Morons, all of those people.

06:39 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

there is only one Wii Pistol grip that looks like and actual gun and its White and blue

06:41 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Has anyone thought that the gun is made out of STEEL and is a bit too heavy for a 3 year old to lift and even shoot with it?

10:36 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

some guns are in fact made of steel, but alot are made from heavy polymers and plastics with very few actual steel parts.

Comment by Ota-Kool
    06:45 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Where's the wife they should watch their kids in that incident.

06:43 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I heard about this and was wondering how was the controller mistaken for a gun, now I see that it's a third party gun accessory that actually looks like a actual gun. The accessory comes from a company called HAIHONGCHANG Electronics Company Limited. If anyone is getting in trouble it could be the step father.

04:42 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I never played a Wii game where I had to aim at myself. The fault is entirely on the dead little bitch for being a shitty gamer. I hope she burns in shovelware hell.

02:57 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's a pretty stupid five-year old.

02:59 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, a 3-year old... Well, still a pretty slow 3-year old. Then again I'm 145 IQ and had common sense when I was 3.

Tragedy...
    Anyway it's definitely the father's fault, but 50/50 says he was just a bit forgetful.

The media sux of course, blaming videogames again.

03:01 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, she was 3 years old.

Well, I still think she was a bit slow. Not her of course, and I'd say it's 50/50 whether it's the father, forgetting something for a moment happens to important things as well (of course I'm IQ 145 so I probably have too high expectations of 3-5 year olds).

The media definitely sux though, blaming it partly at least on videogames.

03:10 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

She can have my gun and shoot it if you get what i mean.

03:07 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

who leaves a loaded gun on the table without the safty on? First thing i learned in the army was if your not going to shot have your safe on so u don't shot someone your not suppose to...

02:10 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i Just love darwin and how he is exspacially working in the USA

02:58 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

His hand has yet to reach your country, I assume...

02:22 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Let me guess...they're going to make a law that forces nintendo to redesign controllers and not pass a law that takes guns away from dumb rednecks, forces them to use gunlocks and guncases, and completely ignore how this idiot left his pistol out.

Comment by AppleIIGuy
    03:32 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Umm.. so according to your logic we should then ban cars,because Car accidents are the leading cause of accidental child deaths.

Guns did not kill that child. It was the negligence of the father, who did not follow the LAW.

06:26 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, Gran Turismo and GTA are to be blamed, because they cause accidents.

07:22 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I know that, I was saying that they'll institute a nonsense law to redesign the controller not keep dumb hicks from getting armed.

02:30 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Want Wii controller looks like that the ones I have seen are all white

Comment by motaku96
    03:16 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't want to get on the wii or anything but I thought toy guns were required to be brightly colored. That's why the guncon was painted light gray with an orange tip.

Comment by Nin
    04:37 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought guns were meant to look like guns and not like video game controllers?

13:36 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, from what I've heard, this particular accessory wasn't an official Nintendo product; I'm pretty sure that all toy guns are required to at least have a bright orange tip.

03:55 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I feel so bad for the innocent little girl. Screw the noise about the gun looking like a controller. This is all about her father. Growing up, we always had guns in the house with four kids. But they were very strictly controlled and only came out for target practice. They were NEVER left out or stored where they could be accessed by kids, much less left out loaded with live ammo. I was taught gun safety and started shooting at 12 years old - but there was never one second when I was unsupervised and understood from the beginning that shooting was a very serious matter. Obviously, this was not the case with this irresponsible moron, who shouldn't be allowed to have children or a gun.

03:50 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

^I suppose that's also a video game's fault >.>

03:56 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I mistook the nintendoscope with a real bazooka once...

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    04:35 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Blame not the Wii...Blame the father's idiocy for leaving dangerous weapons within a child's reach...

Then again, the media and ignorant people won't listen to this since they cannot face the reality of things...

04:00 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck yes more results of todays stupid fucking parenting skills at hand.

03:27 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Wii is not to blame here instead poor gun safety is to blame.

He should have never set the weapon down where a child could reach it while it was cocked and the safety was off as well.
    Before setting it down the safety should have been set or better yet the clip removed and any chambered ammunition removed.

The gun manufacture also should make sure the trigger requires too much force for a young child to easily fire.

Also why use a real gun to chase off dogs a BB gun or even some fireworks often will do the job just fine.

Comment by Tex_Arcana
    03:56 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Except that people use handguns (albeit not lightweight pocket pistols) for target matches where low trigger weight is almost mandatory.

I agree with your point about the dogs, however, but it's obvious this man is not the most creative or cautious individual.

04:47 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You do have a point there a heavy trigger would be an issue for target matches but may not be for a home defense weapon.

As for the dogs I can speak from personal experience there I once chased off an several aggressive animals with a BB gun.

No I was not being cruel as they were known biters but the animal control officer was not doing his job.
    I did consider using a .223 varmint rifle but decided to op for less then lethal.

03:29 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ready....set....go Jack Thompson

03:35 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My Question Again As With Every Time This Sort Of Thing Happens Is: Why the f*** is it still possible to have guns just lying around? loaded or not, hand guns SHOULD be banned, and hunting rifles etc. should have to be kept in a locked gun cupboard seperate from the bolt. if that was the case, almost all school shootings and things like this could be avoided, and street shooting or deaths during robberies would be reduced, even if only slightly. God bless America and her archaic gun laws.........

10:29 10/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

anybody find it strange that the girl was shot in the abdomen. last i checked, theres no game out there thats required you to shoot yourself. i mean i could understand if through the head cuz many kids do that as pretend or maybe shooting something else. but her abdomen area?... hmm.....

10:01 11/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You'll be seeing nintendo giving a warning for this in thier games next. "please remember this is ONLY a remote for the entertainment of playing the game"